Silver Sterling Ring : any suggestion on what build could really make good use of it ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,934
edited October 2021 in General Discussions
Clearly, with the +75 Damage Increase and the +20 Fighting skill, they are meant for Warriors and not for Spellcasters.

I do not understand the choice to have +20 Meditation on it, rather then some other much more needed property for a Warrior (it does not provide much MR and usually, Warriors tend to use LMC and Mana Leech for that). Warriors, of course, prefer Strength and Dexterity over Intelligence so, with low intelligence, 20 Meditation does not get much anywhere, in terms of mana regeneration...

For example, according to https://uo.stratics.com/content/skills/meditation.php , 20 meditation with 20 intelligence, provide a mere 0.2 mana points per second if wearing non-medable armor which is usually what Warriors do.

That is, those +20 Meditation points on the ring, on average for most Warriors with 20 intelligence, provide a "whopping" 1 point of mana in 5 seconds time....

Perhaps, another skill/property would have been more usefull to Warriors then these +20 Meditation ?

Also, Archers and Throwers need, sometimes, very high SSI which is mostly on Jewellery, having to give up SSI on a ring, is quite a heavy toll for Ranged Warriors who need all the SSI that they can get.

Yes, the +75 Damage Increase is quite high, and it "frees" up Damage increase on other items but, one would already use Feudal Grip gloves that come with +30 Damage Increase, or the Cameo which has +20 Damage Increase, or the Animated Legs of the Insane Tinker that has +10 DI or other items which also have the DI property on.

What I am trying to say is, that while having a ring with +75 DI "looks" good, the question is, with what other items does it "fit" in a suit so as to not end up with "wasting" Damage Increase, because exceeding the 100 CAP ?

Not to mention, that "also" the +20 fighting skill seems odd since it "hurts" the use of a Fighting Mastery which relies on "real" skill points, to my understanding, and not on skill points on items....

Bottom line is, given how this Sterling Silver Ring has been Designed by the Developers, with what type of Warrior does it really "fit in" and give its best, making sense to use it ?

Anyone has figured out with what Template and for what gameplay this ring "fits in" ?

Thanks.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    If you can't see any value don't get it?? What works for me might not work for you? 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    edited October 2021
    McDougle said:
    If you can't see any value don't get it?? What works for me might not work for you? 
    I am asking to those who have found value in it, to explain what value they have seen in it.

To me, it really looks a very "odd" Design, and I can't seem to find out on what Template it would really work well.

Are you using it ? With what type of Template and towards what type of gameplay ?
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    A mage warrior perhaps 
    Well if gain 20 weapon skill i can add it to meditation as well if i have 20 meditation on a bracelet i suddenly get an extra 80 points to spend as i see fit?? But honestly there is no "correct " answer..
    McDougle said:
    Well if gain 20 weapon skill i can add it to meditation as well if i have 20 meditation on a bracelet i suddenly get an extra 80 points to spend as i see fit?? But honestly there is no "correct " answer..
    But those 20 weapon skill points will make that weapon Mastery "weaker" for having only 100 real points, not 120...

Is the trade off for a less functional Mastery really "worth it" ?
    For some yes for some no so some get it and some don't...
  • GarretGarret Posts: 70
    i see only bard with bard mastery and some weapon skill could use it. Archer/bard.
    edited October 2021
    Garret said:
    i see only bard with bard mastery and some weapon skill could use it. Archer/bard.
    But as an Archer, won't they be needing all the SSI that they need to shoot at 1.25 and, thus, losing SSI on a ring could cause some problems to "make it up" with SSI on other items ?

Also, the Ring comes with the ability to set +20 skill also in melee skills (Swordsmanship, Fencing, Macing, Wrestling besides Archery and Throwing) but, for a Bard, wouldn't that risk seeing their Bard songs be interrupted when hit which is more likely for melee as for ranged ?

So, if this Ring was Designed that way, I need to imagine that it was conceived with some particular Template in mind, but what is it ?
    Let's talk about my stealth ninja i have only 50 real stealth and get to 120 through gear now one of the builds i run is combat with weapon/tactics/anatomy/healing at either 80 or 90 depending on what else I want to add now i could use the ring to get an extra 20 weapon damage plus all my DI and 20 meditation or i could take my weapon skill to gm for more damage the use is really endless depending on what YOU WANT TO DO no one else can show you value you don't see .... 
  • GarretGarret Posts: 70
    edited October 2021
    popps said:
    Garret said:
    But as an Archer, won't they be needing all the SSI that they need to shoot at 1.25 and, thus, losing SSI on a ring could cause some problems to "make it up" with SSI on other items ?

Also, the Ring comes with the ability to set +20 skill also in melee skills (Swordsmanship, Fencing, Macing, Wrestling besides Archery and Throwing) but, for a Bard, wouldn't that risk seeing their Bard songs be interrupted when hit which is more likely for melee as for ranged ?

So, if this Ring was Designed that way, I need to imagine that it was conceived with some particular Template in mind, but what is it ?
    Well it is just my guess, yes song will be interupted, but even if u are not archer it absolutly possible that mob will agro on u and interrupt song. In melee combat u have to invest more skills to make melle bard work, so i pick archery for my guess. Bard/Archer, Mage/Archer as support class - with option to mana leach a bit from bow when u are not casting.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 9,041
    Works on a NOOB swordsman so you can use a weapon with no DI. The meditation should be focus.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    McDougle said:
    Let's talk about my stealth ninja i have only 50 real stealth and get to 120 through gear now one of the builds i run is combat with weapon/tactics/anatomy/healing at either 80 or 90 depending on what else I want to add now i could use the ring to get an extra 20 weapon damage plus all my DI and 20 meditation or i could take my weapon skill to gm for more damage the use is really endless depending on what YOU WANT TO DO no one else can show you value you don't see .... 
    I am asking to fellow players what value THEY see in this Ring.... for what Template, and to what gameplay purposes....
    edited October 2021
    Pawain said:
    Works on a NOOB swordsman so you can use a weapon with no DI. The meditation should be focus.
    That's a about it, for the purpose of this Ring ?

For an entry level Warrior ?

That is, the Sterling Silver Ring has no use for a more advanced Template and build ?

Its reason to exist, is as an entry level Warrior ?
    edited October 2021
    There are a lot of items only entry level toons would use. All the suits except Dardens and the dino suit. Most artifacts are less than loot or crafted. I think mc dougle is the only player that uses a artifact bow. 
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,257

I myself have struggled to find any purpose for this ring.

I'm in the same boat as Popps :)

@PlayerSkillFTW ;

since I consider you a very knowledged and skilled player, may I ask you whether you have envisioned a usefull and advantageous use for this Ring, out of curiosity ?

I am really puzzled, I mean, it could very likely be that it is as Pawain mentioned, that is, that this RIng was Designed by Developers merely as an entry level item for wannabe Warriors, but then, if so, the 50 points seem to me a bit too high, if one compares them, for example, with the An Bal Xen Talisman, Pendant and Mask of Khal Ankur, Talons and Boots of Escaping which can, instead, be used by a more "thought out" Template at the same 50 points cost....

There really is no use for this ring on a more advanced Warrior Template ?
    Was the ninja template i posted not valid enough? 
    edited October 2021
    McDougle said:
    Was the ninja template i posted not valid enough? 
    Not sure, not knowledged enough to make a judgement.... yet, I seem to understand, that Ninjas tend to like the fencing skill because of the Pierce Mastery which, along with poisoning, works towards preventing the target to escape due to the stamina loss and the poisoning that drags the target out of hiding if they cannot cure it fast....

So, having 20 fencing points on an item, might cause the Pierce Mastery to be not so effective as one might want?
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    I used it for a mystic thrower.
    Use a RC to tank and pinged it with my soulglaive.

Just think of how can i get a new toon without the best gear setup to play, becuase ya know, not everyone has the best in slot gear
    Norry said:

Just think of how can i get a new toon without the best gear setup to play, becuase ya know, not everyone has the best in slot gear
    May I ask how you got the 60 SSI needed to throw the Soul Glaive at 1.25 missing the ability to have SSI on the ring, without having to imbue too much SSI on the Glaive so as to be able to imbue more of other wanted properties on the weapon ?

Not to mention, the need for 211 stamina on the suit to account in for stamina drops with a Soul Glaive....

popps said:
    Norry said:

May I ask how you got the 60 SSI needed to throw the Soul Glaive at 1.25 missing the ability to have SSI on the ring, without having to imbue too much SSI on the Glaive so as to be able to imbue more of other wanted properties on the weapon ?

Not to mention, the need for 211 stamina on the suit to account in for stamina drops with a Soul Glaive....

Not everyone has a leet suit popps some folks just live with as much ssi as they have...
    edited October 2021
    popps said:

You need 210 Stamina 55SSI for a soul glaive to get max.  5 from city buff, 10 epps, 10 ring, 30 weapon.
    ALso could use Wardens wing armor for 5 SSI.
    Difference between 20SSI on weapon and 30SSI is 3 Mana leech.

Do you just make up numbers?

https://www.knuckleheads.dk/tools/ssi
    edited October 2021
    I use this weapon on my guy that does shrine battles.  Stone skills to him and he gets a tabard and gets deleted.  I don't use the ring, I have 60 DI on jewels, 15 on talisman 25 on shield.

That's the only weapon I use that is not imbued.  He can use the Dragons end to do quests for Virtue stone. 

temp.bmp 158.9K
    The point is not everyone has great gear i see people in sorcerers suit casting EVs getting drops and having fun quit trying to keep up with the Jones and have fun...
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    popps said:
    Norry said:

Norry said:

Bolded it for ya popps.i didnt have it, just some equipment to get the toon moving.

But now, 30 on the weapon, 10 on bracelet.
    I do not have best in slot gear.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,257
    Pawain said:
    popps said:

You need 210 Stamina 55SSI for a soul glaive to get max.  5 from city buff, 10 epps, 10 ring, 30 weapon.
    ALso could use Wardens wing armor for 5 SSI.
    Difference between 20SSI on weapon and 30SSI is 3 Mana leech.

Do you just make up numbers?

https://www.knuckleheads.dk/tools/ssi

My fault on the 60 to be fair, I made a mistake, quoted the wrong thing.
    edited October 2021
    I have given him plenty of links to bookmark.  He should look things up before he posts.

But it is easier to just complain and say how hard things are for him.

Or let me rephrase. it is easier to post about perceived problems than go take a step or two to try to solve them.

I already told him, the Wildfire lantern is the item he should ask about.  It is just deco for a Wildfire suit mannequin.  Very expensive deco.
  • Pawain said:
    I have given him plenty of links to bookmark.  He should look things up before he posts.

But it is easier to just complain and say how hard things are for him.

Or let me rephrase. it is easier to post about perceived problems than go take a step or two to try to solve them.

I already told him, the Wildfire lantern is the item he should ask about.  It is just deco for a Wildfire suit mannequin.  Very expensive deco.
    It’s easier for him to Troll if he ignores your advice. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 902
    edited October 2021
    If we just ignore the posts hopefully he will just go away. We are feeding the troll.  Let’s try that. Let the whole community agree that we will not answer the times because he does not listen and he will just add pointless argue,nets nutlike the mods lock the posts 

Mariah lock this one as well. Going nowhere and it just pointless 
    edited October 2021

Mariah lock this one as well. Going nowhere and it just pointless 
    I totally disagree.

It is a legit Thread to discuss a relatively new item which many players see of a difficult fit in the game.

Therefore, the longer the Thread stays up, the more players might be able to see it and contribute posting their experience and findings with this particular item as to what suit and Template it might best be used for.

And many UO players, who cannot see how to "best fit" this ring in a suit and Template, might benefit from reading fellow players uses with this Ring.

It is a perfectly legittimate topic of discussion.

What the Moderators could instead do, is purge those posts from the Thread which do not actually bring any tangible contribution to the topic at hand (what suit/template would benefit the most from this ring...) but, rather, might be more or less clearly, ad personam posts against fellow Forum users....

These Forums are here to discuss topics about the game and this Thread aims to precisely discuss this.

How the Sterling Silver Ring could be best used, with what Template and what suit in order to get the most out of it.

Many UO players could benefit, now, as well in the future, from reading within this Thread, how fellow UO players best used this particular item in the game.
This discussion has been closed.