Balron Bone Armor : why bother ?

Comments

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I'm unsure whether to go for this or not. Currently my warrior is wearing basilisk hide breastplate. Help me understand the pros and cons of changing?
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I'm unsure whether to go for this or not. Currently my warrior is wearing basilisk hide breastplate. Help me understand the pros and cons of changing?
    Alright, I just got my first Balron armor, and tested it out.

Before the fight, it seems nothing much changed except for the Mana and Stamina, each +5.
    There are no other benefits, lol, because over-specified armor resist are basically useless.

Then I went back in get it cursed by the Balrons:
    - HP drop to the same 140 as before (over spec strength is no use)
    - Stamina dropped to 172 from 192, seems to improve slightly but not much use to me.
    - I didn't see the mana but before that my mana would not drop because my sampire is already very stupid with only 10 intel, :D

In conclusion, these are the benefits for me:
    - It is easier to imbue the remaining 2 armor, the other 4 are now named arties.
    - There is one less armor to worry about durability since Balron armor can be POF. yay.

In terms of usage, I don't feel more protected, stronger, smarter, faster, etc.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Ouch 150 points! At most I give this 50 points, and its shard bound, smh.
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    edited October 2021
    Seth said:
    Alright, I just got my first Balron armor, and tested it out.

Before the fight, it seems nothing much changed except for the Mana and Stamina, each +5.
    There are no other benefits, lol, because over-specified armor resist are basically useless.

Then I went back in get it cursed by the Balrons:
    - HP drop to the same 140 as before (over spec strength is no use)
    - Stamina dropped to 172 from 192, seems to improve slightly but not much use to me.
    - I didn't see the mana but before that my mana would not drop because my sampire is already very stupid with only 10 intel, :D

In conclusion, these are the benefits for me:
    - It is easier to imbue the remaining 2 armor, the other 4 are now named arties.
    - There is one less armor to worry about durability since Balron armor can be POF. yay.

In terms of usage, I don't feel more protected, stronger, smarter, faster, etc.

It's a standard armor piece with mods that may or may not be relevant to your build. If you are already capped on the stats it provides, of course you are not going to see a difference. 

The item has the possibility to be a core item in a suit that's built around it. It provides key stats that are needed for most warrior characters.

I don't know how you were expecting to counter curse with it... it's not like the armor has "curse protection" as part of it. You can (and should) overcap critical stats on a warrior (like Dex/Stamina) to counter the effects of curse. Typically the most potent debuff you can receive is -20 to stats (some mobs with crazy Eval Int seem to debuff more, but those are pretty rare).

You did eventually conclude correct though, with this piece and a few other key pieces in place (Blackthorn Helm, SSI Shoulders, Crimson Cincture), it makes it much easier to imbue/reforge the rest of your gear instead of relying to super specific legendary pieces.

Like any other artifact, you need to build your suit with this piece in mind and not just buy the item to buy it and then wonder what all the fuss is about.
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    The 3 artifact Gargoyle chest armor.

They all have specific things that set them apart.

Balron has the 5/8 stats in everything. 8 LMC  High resists in all.

Basilisk has some regens, damage eater, DCI  Medium resists.

Berserker has HPI, SSI 10, DI 15.  3 high resists 2 lower.

They are so different it is not something that can be answered without more info.

Since it is melee. 
    all 70s resist at least.
    100% DI
    You want str as high as you can get. For damage.
    Stamina and SSI to give you max swing speed with your weapons.
    DCI where you are comfortable.

Basically you put a suit together that has those things, more HP is a benefit.

My Garg is a Mystic Thrower.  His chest has LRC on it. So none are an option without rebuilding his armor.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Khyro said:

Like any other artifact, you need to build your suit with this piece in mind and not just buy the item to buy it and then wonder what all the fuss is about.

Yup, you are right. I just plugged in and replaced the chest in my current setup and so there are bloated specs. After the event, it's time to review the whole setup and see if I can get more FC and FCR for my warrior.

I still feel 150 points is too high.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Seth said:
    Khyro said:

Yup, you are right. I just plugged in and replaced the chest in my current setup and so there are bloated specs. After the event, it's time to review the whole setup and see if I can get more FC and FCR for my warrior.

I still feel 150 points is too high.
    Probably, 100 points for it would have been plenty....
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Hmm, my gargoyle will be keeping her Berserker, I've just managed to get her the epaulettes, she now has 40% ssi 
    My Swords samurai, NOT Sampire has all 70s with protection running. 
    hp/stam/mana 139/193/25 dex 150. ssi 30 di 100 armed, 60 unarmed.3/1 casting 24 LMC regens hpr/sr/mr: 11/12/12 HIC 30, DCI 40 
    Weapon currently is 100% cold demon slay double axe with 50% di, leeches 50 stam 81 mana & life.

I was able to replace a chest on one of my guys because his was similar.  He gained str and HP and Intel. Just lost 2 stamina regen.
    edited October 2021
    By the way, what about the GARGOYLES' version of this Balron Bone Armor ?

It is the exact copy of the other Balron Bone Armor for non-Gargoyles YET, as we know, Gargoyles have 5 slots not 6 as Humans and Elves have...

Therefore, usually, Gargoyle Armor pieces usually compensate this lack of a slot with better properties and resistances per piece, as compared to humans and elves.

But not in the case of this Balron Bone Armor which is the exact same for non-Gargoyles and for Gargoyles....

Does that mean, perhaps, that if the Balron Bone Armor can be useful to a Human or Elf dexer this won't be the case for a Gargoyle Dexer ?

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    popps said:
    , as we know, Gargoyles have 5 slots not 6 as Humans and Elves have...

"??"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Necklace 
    Earrings 
    Chest
    Legs
    Kilt
    Arms
    This looks like 6 to me...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited October 2021
    popps said:

It is the exact copy of the other Balron Bone Armor for non-Gargoyles YET, as we know, Gargoyles have 5 slots not 6 as Humans and Elves have...

Yet as we know?  Stop speaking for others especially when you are WRONG.

When you forget what Garg slot is the equivalent of what human slot, you can use vendor search and it tells you.

And before you make up some other absurdity, Gargs can wear their Kilt / gloves and a belt/kilt/apron
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246

For me, it is all about the Swing Speed on your Gargoyle Thrower.

As gargoyles use a Soulglaive a lot - with a 4 second throwing speed - they really need 210 Stamina, and 60 SSI to reach a swing speed of a shot every 1.25 seconds. Swing speed is really noticeable on a gargoyle thrower, and ultimately, it is everything they are about. I would be interested to know the SSI AND Stamina on your Gargoyle. 40 SSI, has you throwing at 1.5 seconds, rather than 1.25 seconds, 1/4 of a second slower for each throw, every single throw - that really mounts up - I wonder if you are slower than that even if you have less than 210 stamina.

https://www.knuckleheads.dk/tools/ssi?skill=5

The Balron Bone Armour has 7 good properties and balanced resists, compared to the Berserker Breastplates 5 properties (inc SSI) and slightly unbalanced resists.

Both good pieces, and with a lack of SSI items available for gargoyles up until now, the Berserker Breastplate was really invaluable.

But now think where you can get the 60 SSI from for your gargoyle.

10 ring.

10 bracelet.

10 epaulettes.

30 weapon.

10 breastplate.

I think that is it. Now we actually have the luxury of 70 SSI, so you can choose to alter 1 set piece.

You could choose the Balron Armour, to make up other stats in your suit, it is a better piece in overall properties than the Berserkers.

Having the Epaulettes - a best in slot item now makes this really achievable, drop the Berserkers for the Balrons.

You may not have the Epaulettes, or may wish to use Blackthorns Epaulettes to build more Luck in - in which case, you need to use the Berserkers to make up your 60SSI.

If you use both the Berserkers, and the Epaulettes, you now have a choice of dropping SSI on ring, bracelet or even 10 off your weapon, which gives you the option to do something slightly different there.

That is the Pro's and Cons for me. Slightly easier to achieve 60SSI, and with the ability to rebalance elsewhere in the suit, for other properties you may wish for.

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited October 2021

and I came back and realised, you said warrior. Pawain sent me down the wrong path, talking about Gargs! And I knew you had Garg, so I was thinking about him also haha. I'll look at your warrior stats later.

For me - it's an upgrade on both my warrior, and garg.

edited October 2021
    Pawain said:
    popps said:

When you forget what Garg slot is the equivalent of what human slot, you can use vendor search and it tells you.

And before you make up some other absurdity, Gargs can wear their Kilt / gloves and a belt/kilt/apron
    Didn't you notice how, for example, Resistances are usually way higher on Gargoyle armor pieces as compared to Human/Elves ?

Why should then Gargoyle Armor pieces get higher Resistances as compared to Human/Elves' Armor if, in the end, they both can play out with the same 6 slots ?

To my understanding, that is because Wing Armor does not have resists (https://community.stratics.com/threads/gargoyle-armor-slots-new-question.196668/post-1695321).

Therefore, it is necessary for the other Armor pieces to "compensate" that lack by having higher resists as compared to Human/Elves armor pieces.

Yet, the Balron Bone Armor "Chest" piece does not have higher resists as compared to the Human/Elves version...

Check out, for example, the Resistances of this Gargoyle Chest piece... it has gotten, overall, 30 more resistances as compared to the Balron Bone Armor....

Because of that, I need to think, putting up a Suit with the Gargoyle version of the Balron Bone Armor might become more difficult, because of the shortcomings in his resistances....
    edited October 2021
    Cookie said:

10 ring.

10 bracelet.

10 epaulettes.

30 weapon.

10 breastplate.

I think that is it. Now we actually have the luxury of 70 SSI, so you can choose to alter 1 set piece.

Is there a way to put all needed SSI on a suit, and have none on the Weapon ?
    Completely ignore the fact that Gargoyles have the same amount as everyone? Wing armor? I would comment further but we'd just end up with another locked thread..
    edited October 2021
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    popps said:

Didn't you notice how, for example, Resistances are usually way higher on Gargoyle armor pieces as compared to Human/Elves ?

Why should then Gargoyle Armor pieces get higher Resistances as compared to Human/Elves' Armor if, in the end, they both can play out with the same 6 slots ?

To my understanding, that is because Wing Armor does not have resists (https://community.stratics.com/threads/gargoyle-armor-slots-new-question.196668/post-1695321).

Therefore, it is necessary for the other Armor pieces to "compensate" that lack by having higher resists as compared to Human/Elves armor pieces.

Yet, the Balron Bone Armor "Chest" piece does not have higher resists as compared to the Human/Elves version...

Check out, for example, the Resistances of this Gargoyle Chest piece... it has gotten, overall, 30 more resistances as compared to the Balron Bone Armor....

Because of that, I need to think, putting up a Suit with the Gargoyle version of the Balron Bone Armor might become more difficult, because of the shortcomings in his resistances....
    OMG. You went to something absurd after I tried to stop you.

Wing armor is their cloak. Do humans have resists on their cloaks? One has 5 resist but not relevant. I even told you to use vendor search to see the equivalent human pieces.

Gargoyle armor does not have higher resists than human armor in general.
    There are no resist short comings.
    15 in all is a good start piece.

Please stop and move to another topic. I showed you a pic of gargoyle chest artifacts above. This one is very good.

And yes gargoyles also can wear a robe.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    popps said:
    Cookie said:

10 ring.

10 bracelet.

10 epaulettes.

30 weapon.

10 breastplate.

Is there a way to put all needed SSI on a suit, and have none on the Weapon ?

Yes.  my samp has 35 SSI  from gear only.  and  with 185 stamina.  gives you best tick rate of 1.25.  elves make best samps out of any race.  their armor has DI ,HCI.  also race benefit of 75 energy resist.

edited October 2021
    Human armor can have hci and dci also.

Can reforge it on garg armor also.

Only throwers or archers usually  need SSI on weapons.
  • Please stop feeding the troll, he will scrutinise all you say to him and then think  a part to endlessly debate as if he is an authority on such matters. Which clearly he is not.
    Simple fact is he has not even got 150 points, wont get them so he will NEVER be in a position to have the picking dilemma

Please Mariah just lock him out, he is far too boring and annoying. 

He spends more time trolling here than playing the game
    Simple fact is he has not even got 150 points, wont get them so he will NEVER be in a position to have the picking dilemma

B) 

• PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited October 2021
    The only slot Gargoyles are missing, is an actual Earring slot. Their supposed "Earrings" are actually a Head (helm) slot piece. A Human/Elf Warrior can use both a Mace & Shield helm equivalent and Solaria's Secret Poisons earrings at the same time, a Gargoyle can't. Gargoyles oftentimes possess inferior Artifact options for the slots they do have. Don't even get me started on how garbage their melee weapon selection is (one reason you never see Garg Melee). They also can't ride Swamp Dragons, so no PvM Damage Reduction there (yet another reason you never see Garg Melee).

Cookie said:
    If you use both the Berserkers, and the Epaulettes, you now have a choice of dropping SSI on ring, bracelet or even 10 off your weapon, which gives you the option to do something slightly different there.

Better to lower the SSI on Wep from 30-20%, so your HML can go higher. Throwers can reach 1.25 swing speed with Soul Glaive with 210+ Stam and 55%+ SSI. Can get another +5% SSI from Town Bonus, and if you really wanted, +5% SSI from Ranger's Cloak of Augmentation, but that replaces Unforgiven Veil (+5 DEX/+5% HCI/+5% RPD/+10% Random Resist/+5 Throwing, that doesn't really matter).

Drago said:
    elves make best samps out of any race.  their armor has DI ,HCI.  also race benefit of 75 energy resist.
    While Elves do make the best Sampire choice due to 75 Energy Resist cap, with the innate +20 Mana and Night Sight being a bonus, it's not due to Woodland Armor. While Woodland Armor can be enhanced with Heartwood for +HCI/DCI/DI, it also offers no innate LMC (stuck at 40% cap then, not reaching 55% LMC or even 45%), and last i checked, has absolutely zero Stamina Protection (even less than meddable Leather Armor).
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Hey @popps if you do not think it is worth it then DO NOT GET IT but STOP telling others it isn't, play your game (whatever that is) and let others play their game.
  • popps said:

B) 

so you claimed it after all the bullshit. super
    Mariah time to lock this thread.

Popps answered his own stupid question
    Gargoyles really get left out when building luck suits mempo nope sorry gargoyle earrings i mean sure if you want to lose resistance and i build all my luck suits to be everyday all around wear not change at last second but this really all a post for another thread..and about an sdi suit...
    edited October 2021
    The only slot Gargoyles are missing, is an actual Earring slot. Their supposed "Earrings" are actually a Head (helm) slot piece. A Human/Elf Warrior can use both a Mace & Shield helm equivalent and Solaria's Secret Poisons earrings at the same time, a Gargoyle can't. Gargoyles oftentimes possess inferior Artifact options for the slots they do have. Don't even get me started on how garbage their melee weapon selection is (one reason you never see Garg Melee). They also can't ride Swamp Dragons, so no PvM Damage Reduction there (yet another reason you never see Garg Melee).

Cookie said:

Better to lower the SSI on Wep from 30-20%, so your HML can go higher. Throwers can reach 1.25 swing speed with Soul Glaive with 210+ Stam and 55%+ SSI. Can get another +5% SSI from Town Bonus, and if you really wanted, +5% SSI from Ranger's Cloak of Augmentation, but that replaces Unforgiven Veil (+5 DEX/+5% HCI/+5% RPD/+10% Random Resist/+5 Throwing, that doesn't really matter).

Drago said:
    elves make best samps out of any race.  their armor has DI ,HCI.  also race benefit of 75 energy resist.
    While Elves do make the best Sampire choice due to 75 Energy Resist cap, with the innate +20 Mana and Night Sight being a bonus, it's not due to Woodland Armor. While Woodland Armor can be enhanced with Heartwood for +HCI/DCI/DI, it also offers no innate LMC (stuck at 40% cap then, not reaching 55% LMC or even 45%), and last i checked, has absolutely zero Stamina Protection (even less than meddable Leather Armor).
    The War Hammer converts directly to Gargoyle. They have the swords whip.

Move your mace warrior skills to your gargoyle and you have the same character.  You will probably use the same helmet/earring/glasses.  Garg will WW through the mobs like your macer does. 

I have got every gargoyle suit from each dungeon using macer WW in crowded dungeons or mage/mystic thrower in the sparse dungeons.  Do you realize how long it takes to get 6 garg earrings and necklaces in these things! 

Gargoyles kill stuff just like the rest.

A swords garg is also easy to make.

The difference is the damage reduction for a Mounted Human, but the gargoyle can do hit and fly runs when needed. Gargs have Berserk when in danger.

Popps next fiction novel will be:

Why do gargs make lesser melee warriors than others?
    Until they get a flying armored swampy with damage reduction they are less than....
    edited October 2021
    Or  as you tell people to do, ADAPT using their bonus's if you are smart enough to.

A flying tamer with a Triton has many advantages over a human or elf.
This discussion has been closed.