Balron Bone Armor : why bother ?

I have heard players talking about getting the Balron Bone Armor but, at 150 points, I honestly do not understand what could be interesting about it.

I have seen quite a number of Warriors wearing, for their Chest piece, Legendaries, better items with better properties and resists....

Yes, I can understand the fact that it would last for longer, since Powder of Fortification can be applied to it contrary to Brittle Legendaries yet, being its properties/resists "sub-par" to many Legendary Brittle Chest pieces, is this really worth the 150 points it cost to get ?

Comments

• CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited October 2021

It's the whole topic of whether something should be brittle or not.

I love this item, I think it is worth it. It's not just about lasting longer - it's about being able to take that item out of your mind, and just being able to play the game.

It is 7 properties, tailored towards a warrior, even in an 8 property Legendary, you don't always get the matching properties in sync you want, not by a long way, the pain of finding and matching items is never-ending. Here you have a fixed item - 7 properties - see how many other 7 matching property artifacts you can find.

It is better than anything that can be Crafted. It is Clean.

Kyronix does not like Clean Items, he thinks they break his game, so anytime he gives us one, he makes them really expensive, and to be honest, I'm ok with that. I'm prepared to work harder, for a nice clean item, I just prefer them, it's how I like to play my game.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited October 2021
    Cookie said:

It's the whole topic of whether something should be brittle or not.

I love this item, I think it is worth it. It's not just about lasting longer - it's about being able to take that item out of your mind, and just being able to play the game.

It is 7 properties, tailored towards a warrior, even in an 8 property Legendary, you don't always get the matching properties in sync you want, not by a long way, the pain of finding and matching items is never-ending. Here you have a fixed item - 7 properties - see how many other 7 matching property artifacts you can find.

It is better than anything that can be Crafted. It is Clean.

Kyronix does not like Clean Items, he thinks they break his game, so anytime he gives us one, he makes them really expensive, and to be honest, I'm ok with that. I'm prepared to work harder, for a nice clean item, I just prefer them, it's how I like to play my game.

I can understand your argument but, really, is the longer lastingness of this Balron Bone Armor such a good feature ?

I mean, over the course of Ultima Online, we have seen "power creep" in items and, to my viewing, once it started with Age of Shadows, I do not think it is possible to stop it...

It is always necessary to have to release more powerful items to keep players interested, but then, it is also necessary to "beef up" Mosters in a never ending cycle....

So, eventually, time will come for this Balron Bone Armor which is already now "sub-par" to several Legendaries out there, to be actually no longer usable because not competitive with how powerful items to come will be and, also, with how more "beefed up" Monsters will be scaled up to catch up with the power creep of items.

So, sure, this Balron Bone Armor can last indefinitively thanking to it being possible to be applied Powder of Fortification but the question here is, will it ?

Give time, when more powerful items will need to be released to keep players interested to play, and Monsters will be made tougher thus meaning that those more powerful items WILL be needed to play the game, this Balron Bone Armor will get into some container and remain unused....

Yet, how many hours it costs today to farm for 150 drops ?

So, I wonder, is it really worth it the time it cost to get it ?

We need to never forget that, time is the most expensive commodity that there is.... most can be replaced but time.... the time gone, will never ever come back......
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited October 2021

It's a personal question for each person, is it worth the time, is it the type of item I'm after.

I did 60 Yukio quests, and got absolutely nothing - that was certainly not worth my time, that's at least 60 hours. I have done at least 1,000 Roof's in my time, and never got a Cameo. I have done at least 1,000 Medusas in my time, and never got a Slither. I burned myself out in Khaldun on a rouge looking for Titan Statues that never appeared. By now, I distinctly hate RNG, and am not willing to do that content.

150 drops at 10 drops an hour = 15 hours. I actually like farming to a degree, and I'm happy to go for this, and it certainly looks like a bargain to the other timesinks where I have completely failed to get anything. And I like the Item.

Regarding power-creep - I don't know if you have noticed, everything the Devs have done for the last couple of years, they really are reining the power-creep back in. No more 14 property Legendaries - all 8, or Max 9 Properties now. They've got better at understanding what the playerbase wants, and been able to give rewards that have better balance, but still maintain less properties, it's a fine line for sure. But there are still plenty of items left to go - where we could request balanced items, that don't need to break the bank re properties.

• DragoDrago Posts: 290
    It offers more possibilties for better gear combinations and allows to max attack /defense / magic stats.  Sampires are a very individual based hybrid.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    If don't like want or need don't get it. Problem solved next issue please..

Ps also takes no storage space if you don't get it 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited October 2021
    Drago said:
    It offers more possibilties for better gear combinations and allows to max attack /defense / magic stats.  Sampires are a very individual based hybrid.
    Basically, since it is a piece which can be applied Powder of Fortification and, thus, will "remain", it can be used as the "foundation" for a Warrior's suit over which to couple other pieces towards whatever goal that the player wants to reach with that suit ?

Sure, it is a valid reason yet, it can also be done with looted (and better) Legendary Brittle pieces which, even though they will not last as long as this Balron Bone Armor, will still keep going for quite a while and, in the meantime, one can get more Brittle Legendary pieces to replace that Chest piece which has had its durability been reduced too much....

Even for a Warrior that fights a lot, a Brittle Legendary piece can last like a month if not two before its durability gets too low.

Now, over the course of that time, how many more Brittle Legendary pieces to replace that Brittle Legendary Chest piece a player can get, even if they will need to have their properties be matching what wanted ?

But I can understand this argument.... it can make a suit be more "stable" and less flexible to loosing pieces here and there that would therefore need to bereplaced because their durability got too low from repairing them over and over...
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited October 2021
    "I'll be interested in seeing your 8 mod legendary with 8 stam and 5 hpi

go ahead, i'll wait
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Yoshi said:
    "I'll be interested in seeing your 8 mod legendary with 8 stam and 5 hpi

go ahead, i'll wait
    There is plenty around, this is just an example....

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited October 2021
    Those stats are not the same. You will never see anything with the stats the bone armor has. You do not understand property dispersion on items.

The HP and Str are important parts when trying to make a max strength and high HP suit.  And it also has dex and stamina. Also bone is a bonus.

It is a melee warrior item. You dont have one so you do not understand.

You could build a suit around that chest.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    If it was prettier I would totally get it, but Devious is a fashion queen and it just doesn't suit her.

She does wear bone arms but you can't see those ;) and the Balron Armor, I just couldn't dye it because of it's unique color...not sure if it even can be dyed.

BUT....it is a very nice piece and I hope they add more pieces to future Treasures Of Events. What she wears currently is decent.

Larisa said:
    If it was prettier I would totally get it, but Devious is a fashion queen and it just doesn't suit her.

She does wear bone arms but you can't see those ;) and the Balron Armor, I just couldn't dye it because of it's unique color...not sure if it even can be dyed.

BUT....it is a very nice piece and I hope they add more pieces to future Treasures Of Events. What she wears currently is decent.
    I get this because so many of my characters are the same!!
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Right??

Maharia doesn't care...she's still a bit loopy from blowing herself up with blackrock and hearing voices....she's gone off her rocker so she'd wear anything...but she's a tamer so no need for this piece.

Larisa? While it does almost match her color scheme, she would be appalled to wear such a horrible piece of armor. She's already up in arms about the bulky epaulettes, she swears they make her look like a man...such a diva! 

• SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    edited October 2021
    because its impossible now to get 3 imbue menues on a legendary now.  ive sold pieces similar to the new bone armor for around 400m.  but that was before they had become more rare / non-spawning. 

if we didnt have the new bone armor, a studded / bone piece with 3 imbue menues (stam/mana/health) i could see going for upwards of 1 platinum.

its a very good answer to pre-patch legendaries no longer spawning.  the 400-500m pricetag seems about right considering the rarity of the stat combo.
    Garr Grimbeard was a pirate fisherman who didn't believe in magic at all for the longest time him and both Count Chocula and Vanessa Chocula were born of role play events i did for my guild but all have a life of their own now !
    I was torn on balron armor for my gargoyle because of berserker armor but i don't need the ssi or other mods so the balron armor is better fit for me i do still wish the dev would listen and give us stuff in what I perceive to be weak areas neck and legs...
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "yeah if you happened to roll those mods (+on bone armor for +3LMC), you would be looking at selling for over 1 plat easy, even if brittle "
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Popps

if to had a Sampires you wold understand

but, oh wait, you refuse to make one

thats why you don't understand how good the piece is
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Hell I do not have a Samp but I would love a few of these for my warrior builds.  Even a pure Pally would love these.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    It's worth the 150 point cost. 

This is going to be a top-end chest piece for anyone running bone/studded to get the 55 LMC bonus.  Yeah sure, maybe there are some no-name legendaries out there that will have more mods or higher intensity mods, but you're going to spend alot of gold on those.  This new item is currently available to everyone to farm turn-in's. For that reason, it's worth going after if you want to have high end characters in the future, and so that you don't have to mortgage your UO life to get them after the event ends and they're no longer freely obtainable. 

I was going to give the item from hype when it was still on test center. But I was afraid it would become antique when it came to the live shards.

I almost built a suit around it to show how awesome it is. But that will have to wait.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited October 2021
    popps said:
    I have heard players talking about getting the Balron Bone Armor but, at 150 points, I honestly do not understand what could be interesting about it.

I have seen quite a number of Warriors wearing, for their Chest piece, Legendaries, better items with better properties and resists....

Yes, I can understand the fact that it would last for longer, since Powder of Fortification can be applied to it contrary to Brittle Legendaries yet, being its properties/resists "sub-par" to many Legendary Brittle Chest pieces, is this really worth the 150 points it cost to get ?

Balron Bone Armor has the combination of +HPI/+Stam/+LMC on it. That combination is impossible to find on modern Legendary Artifacts (only the pre loot nerf no-name Legendaries could have that). Crafted pieces can have that combination, but still end up inferior (especially in terms of Resists). The Balron Bone Armor is a Best In Slot piece basically.

The reason that combination is so important, is because of course Dexxers want +Stam/+LMC on each piece. With most Dexxers (especially melee) also wanting to hit the +25 HPI cap, and running Crimson Cincture (or one of it's Blackthorn variants), that leaves at least 3 pieces of gear that need +5 HPI to reach the cap. Balron Bone Armor has that, along with numerous other useful stats and decent Resists.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited October 2021
    popps said:

it's partially mentioned in this thread.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/6509/loot-write-up-for-returning-new-players

@popps you should seriously consider making a warrior yourself to understand what it needs.

Also try not to tell others what they don't need when you don't use such template.

;)  

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    popps said:

Balron Bone Armor has the combination of +HPI/+Stam/+LMC on it. That combination is impossible to find on modern Legendary Artifacts (only the pre loot nerf no-name Legendaries could have that). Crafted pieces can have that combination, but still end up inferior (especially in terms of Resists). The Balron Bone Armor is a Best In Slot piece basically.

The reason that combination is so important, is because of course Dexxers want +Stam/+LMC on each piece. With most Dexxers (especially melee) also wanting to hit the +25 HPI cap, and running Crimson Cincture (or one of it's Blackthorn variants), that leaves at least 3 pieces of gear that need +5 HPI to reach the cap. Balron Bone Armor has that, along with numerous other useful stats and decent Resists.
    Balron Bone Armor has the combination of +HPI/+Stam/+LMC on it. That combination is impossible to find on modern Legendary Artifacts (only the pre loot nerf no-name Legendaries could have that). 

@PlayerSkillFTW

Thank you for that clarification, I had no idea that the combination of +HPI/+Stam/+LMC is impossible to find on "modern" looted Legendary Artifacts....

By the way, is there a "read" somewhere (Link ?) where one can learn all of the Properties combinations that are not allowed by the Loot Table code to be generated ?

You say that the combination of those properties here discussed, is not possible because you never found such a piece, or because it is actually said in some Developers' Post ?

The reason that I am asking, is that such a combination might still be possible from the Loot Generation Table only, it has low odds ?

Otherwise, if you know it because some Developer discussed officially about it, then, of course, it is an entirely other story and it simply is NOT in the code as a possible combination of properties...

Just trying to understand and learn so, please, bear with me.

Thanks.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    popps said:
    Just trying to understand and learn so, please, bear with me.

Thanks.
    Are you serious?  You have been here for how many years and you make this statement on one of the basic builds in UO.  You tried to school me on what a Pally was and yet you have no clue what so ever of how this piece would help, Your question was asked and thoroughly answered and now you are just playing games.

@Mariah @Rorschach Please lock this thread as the question asked was answered.
    I would prefer to transmog the bone armor to metal armor for stamina loss reduction for melee, otherwise, it's probably better for the archer template in bone.
  • Seth said:
    I would prefer to transmog the bone armor to metal armor for stamina loss reduction for melee, otherwise, it's probably better for the archer template in bone.

Depends on the rest of your set, only 5 pieces of your armour are taken into account for stamina loss (those with the highest reduction).

I also agree with what @PlayerSkillFTW said above, unless you have access to perfect, high end 'no-name' items which no longer spawn, this is pretty much a BiS item as far as I'm concerned for all warrior templates.
    Seth said:

Depends on the rest of your set, only 5 pieces of your armour are taken into account for stamina loss (those with the highest reduction).

I also agree with what @ PlayerSkillFTW said above, unless you have access to perfect, high end 'no-name' items which no longer spawn, this is pretty much a BiS item as far as I'm concerned for all warrior templates.
    yup, my current set already has a barbed arm, so I can't have this in bone unless I make a new arm. Not hard to imbue a new armor but need refinements too, and also waste charges for artifact anvil I think.
  • Could it be the first piece of armor to be completed with the following events?
    edited October 2021
    popps said:

@popps
    Well, after some thoughts, you are right that this is overpriced at 150 points. My reason is based on comparison to the Epaulette, which is 100 points.

Between the two, the Epaulette has much greater impact for both melee and archer. It changes a major artifact in my template because of +10 ssi is harder to come by and it is on the robe slot.

The Balron chest doesn't affect as much. 

Less excited about it than the Epaulette and at 150 points it's overpriced. I can just stick with my imbued armor until it's worn out before I use the Balron, lol

I put it on one of my dexxers that had only 8s in stats.  The only thing missing is Regens.

It wont dye with Tokuno Haochis or reward dyes.  But Plant dyes work.
This discussion has been closed.