KYRONIX ! This is NOT funny. RE: "You can't receive a Gift when you are dead" message...

@Kyronix

I was helping fight a Balron Paragon and died to it just shortly before another player landed the killing blow.

Well, upon dyeing, I saw on my screen the Message "You can't receive a Gift when yur are dead" which, I assumed, was related to a Demon Forces Artifact drop....

Well, no biggie I thought, I will get it as soon as I resurrect....

I run to the NPC outside to get ressed, checked my backpack, and no drop.

I thought, well, it might be a ring hard to see, to I clicked the NPC's Menu for the turn in Artifacts but, sure enough, it was "greyed out" which it means, I had none on me.

I said, oh well, the game engine must have placed it on my corpse then so, I went back to my corpse and looted it. Checked my backpack again and no Demonic Forced Artifact...

Again, I thought it might be a ring hard to see, so I ran back to the NPC outside to use the Menu but, again, the turn in Artifacts was greyed out... no artifacts on me...

So, it looks like, the RNG rolled me for a drop but, because I was dead your code TOOK IT BACK ???

EXCUSE ME ???

Please, fix this and make players get their awarded drop after they res up, put it in the bank, WHATEVER, but do not have the code take our drops away from us.

Thanks.

Comments

• have you checked your bank box?
  • However, even if the bank box is empty as well I think that code is actually working as intended because people were abusing this game mechanic to farm for drops unattended as a ghost.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited October 2021
    have you checked your bank box?
    I have, and there was no drop in there....

And, by the way, there is room in the Bank Box besides, if a gift item gets put in the Bank Box there usually is a message that says that....
    However, even if the bank box is empty as well I think that code is actually working as intended because people were abusing this game mechanic to farm for drops unattended as a ghost.
    You see, these "fixes" intended to hurt abusers, in the end, hurt LEGIT players !!!

Abusers always find their way to script AFK, one way or the other, using one of the many Third Party apps available all over the place....

Yet, who is hurt the most by these "fixes" ?

The LEGIT Miner who now has random resources which cost him/her a LOT MORE time to gather... the AFK scripters why would they care ? They just let their script run AFK 24/7 and store away whatever they mine...

Same thing with a "fix" to address "Ghost" farmers.... they just run their scripts AFK with multi-boxing and even if they loose a few drops because their character gets dead before the player realizes it, who cares, they are not spending their time at their keyboard, they are AFK....

YET, again, the LEGIT player who, instead, DOES IS spending his/her time to try getting drops, they get taken them away by the Code....

I am sorry, but personally, I think that these "fixes" to address abusers are NOT the right way to deal with the issue, in the end, they hurt way more LEGIT players as they do the abusers...

The proper way would be to put in something to detect the use of unapproved, illegal, against the TOS Third Party applications, and BAN the players using them.... and ban not just their throw away EJ, free account that they may be using with the illegal Third Party application, but also their "MAIN" account which, in the end, often benefits from all of these against the TOS playing....

At least, that is the way I see it.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    edited October 2021
    That does not mean you got a drop. I get that after I just die.  You are not missing a drop. Or I'll get it a while after I died.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • also I believe this message displays when you have vet rewards available
    also I believe this message displays when you have vet rewards available
    The Vet Rewards gump I get it at log in, not when I am a ghost because I died...

When I cancel, then, the nest time I will get it is when I log off and then log back in...
    edited October 2021
    Pawain said:
    That does not mean you got a drop. I get that after I just die.  You are not missing a drop. Or I'll get it a while after I died.
    Well, if it tells that, to my understanding, it means that the RNG found the player's character worthy of a gift (drop), but, since they are dead, they cannot be awarded them...

That is what I can only understand from the wording...

Therefore, where is that player's drop which the RNG decided the player should have gotten yet, because of "dead status", it was not possible to be awarded ?

I did not get it upon ressing, it was not in my corpse, and it was not in my bank box.

It was taken away from me. That is not fair and should be fixed.

Awarded drops/gifts "suspended" because of ghost status, should then be awarded either when one resurrects, or be placed in the bank box but not "taken back" by the game engine.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    It happens too often to be a reward. And I'll for by some easy mob and get the message 2 mins later. I was not fighting other stuff and did partial damage and someone killed them.

It's funny that this message has been in every dungeon event and you just saw it.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    It happens too often to be a reward. And I'll for by some easy mob and get the message 2 mins later. I was not fighting other stuff and did partial damage and someone killed them.

It's funny that this message has been in every dungeon event and you just saw it.
    Well, don't forget, that, aside from the "Treasures of" Artifact drops, in Legacy Dungeons one can get awarded random drops... not sure if it has to be in Felucca or also is in Trammel....
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    theres a workaround to this: dont die
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited October 2021
    “I have a feeling this system message is limited to EC whenever something dies whilst you’re dead, what client are you using?

it may just be a message to inform you that by the way while dead you can’t receive a gift, without necessarily meaning you missed out on one”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
      As someone who dies sometimes a couple thousand times per day NOT in Hythloth...... I get the message you are to young to receive a gift or you cannot receive a gift when you are dead...... A LOT  probably some bug in the holiday/anni gift system........... but it has done that for years
  • Tyrath said:
      As someone who dies sometimes a couple thousand times per day NOT in Hythloth...... I get the message you are to young to receive a gift or you cannot receive a gift when you are dead...... A LOT  probably some bug in the holiday/anni gift system........... but it has done that for years

yeah I get the same message every now and then. I'll try to pay closer attention to it next time. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with actual event drops.
    Popps, however, will not be convinced
    edited October 2021
    Tyrath said:

yeah I get the same message every now and then. I'll try to pay closer attention to it next time. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with actual event drops.
    Popps, however, will not be convinced
    yeah I get the same message every now and then. 
    If it was a "system message" (a mere  "reminder" to players...) which, by the way, I would be surprised if this was the case, because I do not understand the need to warn players that, as a Ghost, they cannot receive gifts, it should not pop out "every now and then " but, rather, every single time that one dies....

• You get the message generally when you log out and in while dead and I think if you are near a server line. And yes, it is funny, funny as hell actually.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

You get the message generally when you log out and in while dead and I think if you are near a server line.
    And the reason for getting the message would be ?
  • The Devs trolling you
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    popps said:
    You get the message generally when you log out and in while dead and I think if you are near a server line.
    And the reason for getting the message would be ?
    so that the vet reward gump doesn’t show 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Has anyone ever stopped to think why @popps is virtually silent until something like an event is released and then he almost always complains about game mechanics? He's a troll. Stop responding to him.

As another poster wrote, the mechanic was put in recently (maybe last treasures event) that you couldn't get drops while dead given that people were farming while ghosts in Fel (it was brought up by Yoshi I believe). It was even in the patch notes as a change. Here is a crazy thought... go get rezzed quickly after you die so you can get back in the fight (you might lose out on 1 drop big deal).

@Mariah - This question has been answered and can be locked before any other novels are written complaining about something that was done on purpose to prevent exploiting. 
    edited October 2021
    keven2002 said:
    ... something that was done on purpose to prevent exploiting. ....
    If stopping AFK farming was the goal, these "fixes", to my viewing, do not solve the issue, really.

Only a solid detection of illegal "Third Party applications" being used, and the ban of the accounts using them as well as those "Main" accounts eventually benefitting from that AFK scripting, would really solve the issue and, to my viewing, in a much better way, more permanently, and without hurting legit players like many of these "fixes" turn out to do.....
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I believe there might be a significant down side to your proposed solution, so in the meantime I suggest that you avoid being dead as much as possible. Have you thought of training up sacrifice virtue? Carrying a gem of salvation? Training spellweaving for gift of life?
    I believe at this point I will adapt the suggestion of @keven2002

This discussion has been closed.