Players with character names that exceed 16 letters

Hi, I have seen a lot of players around that have characters that exceed the client limit of 16 letters. Can someone tell me how this can be done? If it's done with cheat programs (which I imagine it is) is it illegal and can we page on said names?

@Mesanna
This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    And I'm the bitter ass  :)
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    lol
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
     Trying to get my mind around someone taking the time to cruise around counting the number of characters in someones name and wanting to page on them for exceeding said number.......... Sounds kind of Perverted to me.  Might look into recruiting you into PERV  we are short on stealthers to cruise around peeking in Luna Windows.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Ignore the naysayers. What is one of these long names?  There might be an easy explanation.
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    TimSt said:
    Ignore the naysayers. What is one of these long names?  There might be an easy explanation.
    I don't recall the exact names, and even if I did I wouldn't post it (against forum rules?) but at the time typed it out it and it was exactly 22 letters in a row with no spaces... used some website to count letters to verify. For example, it was something like: aaaaabbbbbcccccdddddee . I even tried to make a character with the exact name in both the CC and EC and I couldn't fit it all in at character creation - they are both limited to 16 letters (including spaces). 

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    So not titles then.  Perhaps the name change token allows it. Paying $10 USD to buy the token from the store might give you the ability to have a long name.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Try copy and paste when making a name? That works in EC on some pet names.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Pawain said:
    I tried this for shuffles and gits. Did not work on EC
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

Pawain said:
    I tried this for shuffles and gits. Did not work on EC

It is probably relic characters that were created between update 1 and update 2 of pub16 there was 4-5 days between updates where you could exceed 16 characters. I believe the bug was created in update 1 and fixed in update 2 but that has been forever ago like 2002ish. 
  • DerajDeraj Posts: 85
    For a long time it was possible to get 17 characters with a name change token. I know this because I've renamed a few characters in the past with 17 character names. But it seems the character limit for the tokens has been changed to 16, and I know that because a few months ago I tried a 17 character name, and it didn't work. Not sure when that change was made. Anything longer than 17 characters though, I dunno how that is possible.
  • usernameusername Posts: 687
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/9556/how-is-this-guy-doin-this

Guy today in gen chat 'lichdontkillmyvibe' and 'lichdontkillmyhigh'
    Making new chars. Both 18 letters long, both unable to be made.

• in the past under the original character rename service GMs had to manually change a players name and sometimes they exceeded the limit.

now it is probably the use of a 3rd party client.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    I want to be able to name one of my characters "King Arthur".  There are several players already named this... but it's no longer allowed to be a title you can create. 

And that's okay.  Times change.  Just because someone else has something we can't have doesn't mean we should try to take it away. 
    edited October 2021
    Merlin said:
    I want to be able to name one of my characters "King Arthur".  There are several players already named this... but it's no longer allowed to be a title you can create. 

And that's okay.  Times change.  Just because someone else has something we can't have doesn't mean we should try to take it away. 

Yep I have a King Arthur a King of Trammel  A king of Minoc  Not sure when they made King a unusable word in naming.  But hey you can still make Queens if that is yer thing.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    Tyrath said:
    Merlin said:

Yep I have a King Arthur a King of Trammel  A king of Minoc  Not sure when they made King a unusable word in naming.  But hey you can still make Queens if that is yer thing.

Ah, I didn't realize that you can still use Queen in the naming convention.  I'll have to make something soon before that changes too! 

Jealous you have a toon named King Arthur!  Don't ever change it :) 
    Not sure if it applies to names but you can't name a container Titan event items. It puts *&$ in the first name.
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Pawain said:
    Not sure if it applies to names but you can't name a container Titan event items. It puts *&$ in the first name.
    Yeah they screwed themselves with that one

Still makes me giggle

Merlin said:
    Tyrath said:
    Merlin said:

Ah, I didn't realize that you can still use Queen in the naming convention.  I'll have to make something soon before that changes too! 

Several Queens in Arthurian Legend for you to work with :)
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2021
    Tyrath said:
    Merlin said:
    Tyrath said:
    Merlin said:

Several Queens in Arthurian Legend for you to work with :)
    See, I'd just call mine Kang Arthur and say he was the King of South Wales. but then.I am a bit of a smart-ass

• DragoDrago Posts: 290
    I can't believe this is really a thread.
  • Drago said:
    Far longer threads have been made on much dumber subjects. This is the internet after all.

edited October 2021
    Drago said:
    Far longer threads have been made on much dumber subjects. This is the internet after all.

Nope its my internet....... want to slap fight over it LOL!   Errr wait forgot I cut my beard off yesterday. slap fighting would hurt now.
  • Tyrath said:
    Drago said:

Nope its my internet....... want to slap fight over it LOL!   Errr wait forgot I cut my beard off yesterday. slap fighting would hurt now.
    What's this shave you speak of?

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Tyrath said:
    Drago said:

Is that a bit of bacon there? 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    edited October 2021
    McDougle said:
    Tyrath said:
    Drago said:

That's a whole hog son.

McDougle said:
    Tyrath said:
    Drago said:

That's a whole hog son.
    One weeks Growth
    6 weeks growth

Gonna be a day or two before I can hide a whole hog again :(

Present After shaving it off after 1.5 years

I do need a slightly better razor or I should have done a better job sharpening the pocket knife :)

• LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    OMG I have to have that stuffed chicken! It's the cutest!

And you shaved? You don't look like a farmer ;)

Anyway....a friend of mine told me that way back when they had the weddings you could have longer names, they would add the surname to your character. That's a possibility.of course depending on what the name is..or they made it long ago before the changes.

Should have given that pig a bath before picture day.
    Larisa said:

Anyway....a friend of mine told me that way back when they had the weddings you could have longer names, they would add the surname to your character. That's a possibility.of course depending on what the name is..or they made it long ago before the changes.

Got the Chicken at Either TSC or Rural King....... I lean more toward it being TSC they tend to carry more stuff like that.

Pawain said:
    Should have given that pig a bath before picture day.

It was having a hard enough time, getting it wet would have killed it. LOL we are standing in front of a heat lamp trying to get it warmed back up.
    Larisa said:

Here Cutting Seed Taters last year is the image most folks remember of me :)   And tech I am not a Farmer anymore I RETIRED Turned the Farmers Markets over to a Not For Profit, Sold most of the S Corps and Subsidiaries, Kept the Farm, the T5R Inc and the Food Trailers.  But am primarily just a 90% Self Sufficient off the Grid Homestead type operation now days.  I have a whopping 3 steers, 2 sows, 1 boar and 20 chickens and am never planting acres of anything again, just my little 1 acre personal garden.  LOL my biggest choice each day now is how many hours if any do I want to spend in UO :)