Greater Dragons are useless pets ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited September 2021 in General Discussions
I have this Greater Dragon from my stables but, although is almost at its top (only Resisting Spells need a few more points), it cannot even kill another Greater Dragon on its own without me helping it either doing damage to the other Wild Greater Dragon, or healing my Greater Dragon....

On its own, my Greater Dragon vs. Wild Greater Dragon, it dies, and pretty fastly too... 

Greater Dragons are useless now ?

Hits 864
Stamina 125
Mana 643
Strength 614
Dexterity 125
Intelligence 643

Hit Point Regeneration ---
Stamina Regeneration ----
Mana Renegeration ----

Physical 85%
Fire 83%
Cold 42%
Poison 60%
Energy 72%

Damage Physical 100%
Base Damage 24-33

Wrestling 127.7/127.7
Tactics 119.6/119.6
Resisting Spells 103.8/112.6
Anatomy 100.0/100.0
Parrying 118.1/118.1
Magery 114.3/114.3
Eval Int 100.0/100.0
Meditation 100.0/100.0
Focus 100.0/100.0

Pet slots 5/5

Lore & Knowledge
Bleed, Dragon Breath, Magery

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited September 2021
    Only took you 4 years to figure that out.

Congrats.

Almost every other 100% physical damage pet has limited use.  Except the Hiryu family.

Are your Dragon slayer weapons also physical instead of cold?

Use the correct weapon on a target .
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    My scrolled hiryu needs healing to kill a wild one ... do you expect your pet to just kill everything with no aid? I will say any pet with built in heal far greater than one without it...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    No idea why y'all use a physical damage pets on targets whose physical resist is highest.

Dreadhorn is the only high HP mob that is kinda lowest in physical.

Take ur flappy there.

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Pawain said:
    Only took you 4 years to figure that out.

Congrats.

Almost every other 100% physical damage pet has limited use.  Except the Hiryu family.

Are your Dragon slayer weapons also physical instead of cold?

Use the correct weapon on a target .
    I would have expected, at the very least, a tamed Greater Dragon to be able to kill a Wild Greater Dragon with no help....

Yet, even though my Greater Dragon is at the top of what it can get (but a few Resisting Spell points), it is far from being able to.....
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "they do spawn as 4 slot too if you're lucky"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    McDougle said:
    My scrolled hiryu needs healing to kill a wild one ... do you expect your pet to just kill everything with no aid? I will say any pet with built in heal far greater than one without it...
    Actually not "everything" out there but, at the very least, their own "wild" kind that yes (without any help from the tamer I mean and, this, 1 on 1 with its wild self....).

edited September 2021
    Pawain said:
    No idea why y'all use a physical damage pets on targets whose physical resist is highest.

Dreadhorn is the only high HP mob that is kinda lowest in physical.

Take ur flappy there.

When hunting for Bosses I can understand that, but when taking a Tamed pet out to fight its own "Wild" self 1 on 1 ?

ANY tamed pet should be able, hands down, to kill its own "Wild" self without any help from its Tamer whatsoever....

Instead, my Tamed Greater Dragon goes down to its Wild self as if it was almost a Greater Mongbat.... it is so weak in comparison to its Wild self that it is ridicolous.....
    popps said:
    McDougle said:
    Actually not "everything" out there but, at the very least, their own "wild" kind that yes (without any help from the tamer I mean and, this, 1 on 1 with its wild self....).

You understand that if you want a 700 str hiyru that wild it's gonna be double that right?? 
    edited September 2021
    McDougle said:
    popps said:
    McDougle said:

You understand that if you want a 700 str hiyru that wild it's gonna be double that right?? 
    Well, that is wrong, IMHO.

Tamed pets should be "on par" with their Wild self and be fully capable of fighting them 1 on 1.

Instead, they are a bad copy of them.... and also a very bad one considering how easily they go down when fighting their Wild selves 1 on 1.....

It looks, as if it was no longer that creature, once it gets tamed....
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Chiv/AI Puppies.  Triton not yet fully trained to test
    GD
    Hit 904, Stamina 125, mana 550,
    Str 601, Dex 125 . Int 550
    Phy 81, Fire 85, Cold 55, Poison 60, Energy 61
    Wrestling 125.1, Tactics 124.5, Resist Spell 119.7, Anat 100, Parrying 119.0
    Magery 102.7, eval int 100, med 100, Focus 100

This old girl holds her own with a little love healing and she still has her uses but Pup is faster with less love.
    edited September 2021
    GD

This old girl holds her own with a little love healing and she still has her uses but Pup is faster with less love.
    I am not talking though, about using tamed pets on "different" creatures as what they are....

I am talking about fighting tamed pets with their wild selves, 1 on 1.

It is ridicolous how they are nowhere a match to their wild selves and how fast they go down when figthing their wild selves 1 on 1 if the tamer does not help them, wither with healing or doing damage to their wild selves....

They are just a very, very bad copy of their wild selves.
    GD

Both with built in healing.... and 90% of what we see everywhere 
    edited September 2021
    popps said:
    GD

I am not talking though, about using tamed pets on "different" creatures as what they are....

It is ridicolous how they are nowhere a match to their wild selves and how fast they go down when figthing their wild selves 1 on 1 if the tamer does not help them, wither with healing or doing damage to their wild selves....

My GD holds her own with wild GDs with a little healing.  How many fully trained wild GDs do you run across, I have yet to see one.  My GD is fully trained is yours?
    McDougle said:
    GD

Both with built in healing.... and 90% of what we see everywhere 
    Yep but I still love taking the old girl out and let her play.
    popps said:
    McDougle said:
    popps said:
    McDougle said:

Tamed pets should be "on par" with their Wild self and be fully capable of fighting them 1 on 1.

Instead, they are a bad copy of them.... and also a very bad one considering how easily they go down when fighting their Wild selves 1 on 1.....

No. The wild pets have learned to defend themselves against their species or they would kill each other if they could. But natural selection provided them a defense against their own kind.

Cus 50% cold damage 80+ % cold resist. Same for energy.

Frost mite 100% cold damage 90 % cold resist.

Nature.
  • RoxoRoxo Posts: 32
    It’s also important to remember that a pet’s stats are halved when tamed. This is for balancing reasons. 
  • give me strength

Cu Sidhe.  like EVERYONE keeps telling you to tame

WHY DO YOU IGNORE ADVICE FROM PLAYERS?

Its not like its been common knowledge since the taming changes, which you also resist learning

And train a SAMPIRE

I am now 100% convinced yo are nothing but a UO troll. just looking to be annoying. 

IF, you go to the next dungeon event with a GD then you deserve all you get. This is a worse idea than a thief. You just don't get it do you?
    @popps My GD pre-dates Training Pub and even back then she still kicked but on GDs with a little help.  Fully trained skills make a huge difference in the damage you do I do not care if your Str is double mine.  If your Tact is low you do less damage and if your Parry is 120 you avoid a lot of damage.  Maybe you need to learn about SKILLS and how they work with STATS before you do anything.
    People used to do everything in UO with Greater dragons except the pet eater.

People used to do Everything with EVs.

@popps catch up to the 2010s at least.
    popps said:
    GD

My GD holds her own with wild GDs with a little healing.  How many fully trained wild GDs do you run across, I have yet to see one.  My GD is fully trained is yours?
    The stats of my Greater Dragon are in the OP.

It is as good as it can ever get, missing only a few points of Resisting Spells.

With healings, also my tamed Greater Dragon can kill Wild Greater Dragons.

My point though, is that tamed Pets should be able to be "on par" with their Wild selves.... that is, be able to fight them one on one and win some loose some, not always loose unless their Tamer "cheats" helping them out with heals or damaging their Wild self....
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    McDougle said:
    popps said:
    McDougle said:

No. The wild pets have learned to defend themselves against their species or they would kill each other if they could. But natural selection provided them a defense against their own kind.

Nature.
    And ain't a Tamed per a creature that once was Wild, just like all of the others ?

YET, on top of its Wild experience, it ALSO got the experience of a Tamed pet...

So, a Tamed pet should outdo a Wild self, hands down, me thinks....
    edited September 2021
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    McDougle said:
    popps said:
    McDougle said:

Nature.
    And ain't a Tamed per a creature that once was Wild, just like all of the others ?

YET, on top of its Wild experience, it ALSO got the experience of a Tamed pet...

So my housecat is safe to go outside and fight the ferrel cats.  Even tho my 2 cats run and hide when the doorbell rings because they know the door to an unknown world will open soon.

I told you. Natural selection makes them have defense against their own.  Especially the fat well fed pets you have that rarely get fighting experience.  And your abusive treatment, not having vet and healing them.

Notice how their stamina drops when they get damaged. Stamina is Swing speed. When I test pets I run consume because random stamina is not a good way to test.
    edited September 2021
    popps said:
    popps said:
    GD

The stats of my Greater Dragon are in the OP.

It is as good as it can ever get, missing only a few points of Resisting Spells.

With healings, also my tamed Greater Dragon can kill Wild Greater Dragons.

My point though, is that tamed Pets should be able to be "on par" with their Wild selves.... that is, be able to fight them one on one and win some loose some, not always loose unless their Tamer "cheats" helping them out with heals or damaging their Wild self....
    popps said:
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    McDougle said:
    popps said:
    McDougle said:

Nature.

WOW Taming has been the game from the beginning and to listen to you talk you know all there is about Taming and UO and every time you open your mouth you prove you know nothing.  Pets lose stats when you tame them always have and always will, Tamers have the ability to keep their pets alive so they can gain skills to their max that is the major advantage and no I do not thing my GD should be able to take a wild GD without a little help.  Honest question how long have you been an active Tamer and I do not mean just owning them I mean fighting them, can not be very long because you just now figured out that your tamed GD can not outright kill a wild GD, sad.  You really need to go back to basics on all of UO.  My fully trained 120s Chiv/AI Cu has zero problems taking on a wild GD with ZERO help, maybe you should find out what you want to kill and attack its weakest spot.
    edited September 2021
    Some pet types lose stats.  Most do not. Oh fountain of pet knowledge.

You can calculate most intensities from a wild pet.
    Skippy has spoken
  • @popps

The closest you can get to what you're asking is necromancy mastery to command undead, grab skeletal dragon(s).  Sadly, they cannot be stabled or otherwise persisted...

re: greater dragon on greater dragon.  Provoke a GD onto a GD, and it'll be a very long fight.  Same goes for almost all other equivalent monsters.

• PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited September 2021
    Greater Dragons have their HP/STR (up to 2,000/1,425) halved upon tame, and their skills dropped by 10% (they can have up to 145 Wrest/140 Tact wild, max of 130.5/126 tame). Trying to land hits on a 145 Wrest/120 Parry wild GD is pretty difficult without HCI. Thankfully however, not only does Consume Damage mitigate most of a GD's melee damage output and turn it into a HPR buff, but it also converts it into a HCI buff for your pet. Running Consume Damage on your pet while in a fight against GDs makes them much easier.

My 120 Chiv+AI 100% Cold Platinum Drake (or Krampus Frost Drake) tears into GDs like a hot knife through butter. So does my RC+AP Frost Mite.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    If anyone thinks this 'discussion' has any merit I will re-open this thread.
This discussion has been closed.