Veterinary, why not make it again a skill to have ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited September 2021 in General Discussions
With Templates craving for skill points, and the more the better, considering all of the downsides of vetting a pet close by, like, with MoBs using AoEs a go-go, retargeting on the Tamer all the time, landing blows on the Tamer that kill them in 1 or 2 hits or close to that etc. etc. it is no surprise that Veterinary, other then to resurrect a pet, is not much used for healing the pet....

Most Tamers, be it to use those 120 skill points in some other skill which they can put to better use, or being it because they find it way safer to use Greater Heal from a distance, prefer not to use Veterinary.

Why don't the Developers do something to the skill so as to make it more viable ?

Like, offer to Tamers vetting their pet a better chance not to be targeted by MoBs close by ?

I mean, after all, it is 120 skills points.... they should give something back.... yet, with Monsters using AoEs and retargeting all the time, and usually being able to kill a Tamer in just a few hits (most Tamers are spellcasters for ranged approach to Monsters, therefore, close range Defence Chance Increase can be a bonus, but other properties are seen as better priorities, usually...also, usually holding spellbooks is preferred to holding Mage Weapons for better defense).

Anyways, I think it would be nice to see Tamers get back to heal their pets through Veterinary, rather then being forced to used ranged Greater Heals....

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    How do I address another only in popps head all my tamers have 120 vet heck my ninja scout healer has 120 lore/vet my fishman pally tamer yep vet ..
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Well, a whole lot ot Tamers prefer to invest those 120 points in skills that bring them home a lot more then Veterinary can....

I mean, most MoBs you simply cannot get close to vet the pet....

Be it because AoEs that the MoBs pull off, be it because they pretty much retarget the Tamer thus forcing him/her to leave (hiding often does not work as they stay aggroed on the Tamer and as soon as the Tamer resumes vetting, they pound their heavy blows onto the Tamer's head...), or be it because higher end MoBs are too hard hitter who can kill a Tamer in just a few blows, using Veterinary to heal a pet, usually means for the Tamer ending up dead....

And when the Tamer dies, the pet usually dies too....
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    McDougle said:
    How do I address another only in popps head all my tamers have 120 vet heck my ninja scout healer has 120 lore/vet my fishman pally tamer yep vet ..
    My tamers have vet. I wouldn't dream of not having it. In some instances I use both vet and magery to heal them at the same time.
    So they made a choice and live with the consequences that's the beauty of UO isn't it?? No change is needed here...
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    McDougle said:
    My tamers have vet. I wouldn't dream of not having it. In some instances I use both vet and magery to heal them at the same time.
    This says it all for me too.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I use vet on Tamers I take to fight things. Macro Bandage Nearest follower. Cast spell Greater Heal on target. 

Popps should not post about any Template unless he has that template. 

I have yet to see him have a Built pet with max skills.  Pet Revamp is 4 years old.  He could have hundreds of pets and know how to play a tamer

Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited September 2021
    Usage of vet really depends on how your pet and character are setup.  Survivability of pet is often better handled in the way the pet is built.

One use case for vet is a rare usage of pet rez.  For this, you can get away with about 40 vet skill, and use jewels/items to bring your vet up to 80 for the rez.

There may be rare cases where having high vet in use throughout a fight is good.  Vetting a pet on cora comes to mind, or other pet traning.  But these cases seem rare.

Personally, I don't think vet is good to invest 120 points in.  You can invest the points in something else that allows the tamer to deal more damage themselves, which is a case of good offense improving your defense (survivability of tamer and pet)...

Pure mages are usually better off holding a mage weapon item than a spellbook, in defense/run stance.  take the balakai staff as an example.

• Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 245
    edited September 2021
    You guys always forget one very important thing to have full veterinary skill ;) -

The Number of Stable slots a Tamer can have in summa summarum ;) !

Copied from UO.guide com:
    Each pet requires one stable slot, regardless of how many control slots they use. A typical (non-tamer) character has two available stable slots. Tamers, however, have a increased amount of stable slots based upon their combined taming abilities. The sum of the character's skills in Animal Taming, Veterinary, and Animal Lore determines the amount of additional stable slots according the following table:
    • Below 160.0: 2 pets may be stabled.
    • 160.1 - 199.9: 3 pets may be stabled.
    • 200.0 - 239.9: 4 pets may be stabled.
    • 240.0 and up: 5 pets may be stabled.

Additionally, "bonus" stabling slots are added for each of the three taming skills that reach 100.0, 110.0, and 120.0. These "bonus slots" are cumulative.

For example, a person that has all three skills at 80.0 would have 5 stable slots. A person that had 100.0 Animal Lore and Animal Taming and Veterinary at 70.0 would have a total of six stable slots (five for having 240.0+ skill and one bonus slot for having Animal Lore at 100.00)

Beyond that, 2 additional stabling slots are granted characters on an account upgraded with the Stygian Abyss Expansion.

The maximum amount of stable slots any one character can have is 21:
    Five slots for having 240.0+ taming skills, nine bonus slots for the three taming skills at levels 100.0, 110.0, and 120.0 plus 2 bonus slots for being SA upgraded.
    plus 2 additional slots are available through Time of Legends.
    plus 1 additonal slot per tier using Taming mastery.

Stable slots are based on current skill level including jewelry. A character with 99.0 skill in one of the three skills can get an additional bonus slot by wearing a piece of +1.0 skill jewelry in that skill. When the jewelery is removed, the creature will remain in the stable.

You can check your number of filled/total stabling slots by the command "stablecount".

Buying the Stable Slot Increase from the Shop will bring you more slots - 1 Token give 3 more. You can buy up to 7 - so that you can get another 21. So with all this you have a whole number of 42 stable slots on a fully trained Tamer Char!

So don't throw Vet away ;)

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    You guys always forget one very important thing to have full veterinary skill ;) -

The Number of Stable slots a Tamer can have in summa summarum ;) !

Copied from UO.guide com:
    Each pet requires one stable slot, regardless of how many control slots they use. A typical (non-tamer) character has two available stable slots. Tamers, however, have a increased amount of stable slots based upon their combined taming abilities. The sum of the character's skills in Animal Taming, Veterinary, and Animal Lore determines the amount of additional stable slots according the following table:
    • Below 160.0: 2 pets may be stabled.
    • 160.1 - 199.9: 3 pets may be stabled.
    • 200.0 - 239.9: 4 pets may be stabled.
    • 240.0 and up: 5 pets may be stabled.

Additionally, "bonus" stabling slots are added for each of the three taming skills that reach 100.0, 110.0, and 120.0. These "bonus slots" are cumulative.

For example, a person that has all three skills at 80.0 would have 5 stable slots. A person that had 100.0 Animal Lore and Animal Taming and Veterinary at 70.0 would have a total of six stable slots (five for having 240.0+ skill and one bonus slot for having Animal Lore at 100.00)

Beyond that, 2 additional stabling slots are granted characters on an account upgraded with the Stygian Abyss Expansion.

The maximum amount of stable slots any one character can have is 21:
    Five slots for having 240.0+ taming skills, nine bonus slots for the three taming skills at levels 100.0, 110.0, and 120.0 plus 2 bonus slots for being SA upgraded.
    plus 2 additional slots are available through Time of Legends.
    plus 1 additonal slot per tier using Taming mastery.

Stable slots are based on current skill level including jewelry. A character with 99.0 skill in one of the three skills can get an additional bonus slot by wearing a piece of +1.0 skill jewelry in that skill. When the jewelery is removed, the creature will remain in the stable.

You can check your number of filled/total stabling slots by the command "stablecount".

Buying the Stable Slot Increase from the Shop will bring you more slots - 1 Token give 3 more. You can buy up to 7 - so that you can get another 21. So with all this you have a whole number of 42 stable slots on a fully trained Tamer Char!

So don't throw Vet away ;)

To my opinion, for pets' storage, it is more functional just to make EJ Tamers rather then having a currently not much useful Veterinary skill on the Template wasting up precious skill points real estate on a Template...

Truth is, that, as it is, Veterinary is a waste of skill points....

The only way that Veterinary would once again be a skill appealing to want to have, even at 120, on a Template, was if the Developers were to make MoBs NOT retarget on a Tamer who is vetting their pet. It is OK to handle AOEs, depending on how damaging they are, usually a Tamer can through a self heal here or there to handle AOEs, but the real issue if MoBs retargeting on the Tamer at close distance, especially since, often, the Tamer is on foot when using a 5 slots pet and, thus, incapable of running away fat enough.

Not to mention, in those instances where the Tamer is vetting a Pet fighting multiple higher end MoBs at once... if more then one Creature retargets on the Tamer that is vetting, the Tamer is dead before they can even realize it...

If the Developers want tamers to invest 120 skill points on a Template to actually actively vet a pet, then, while vetting the ability of Monsters to retarget on the Tamer has to be toned down a WHOLE LOT, me thinks.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    You make zero sense.  I use veterinary all the time.  Its far more efficient than greater heal.  Especially when doing  T-maps...
  • TyrathTyrath Posts: 542
    My suggestion would be to try a template other than a Stealth Tamer.  Hybrid Paladin Tamers and Sampire tamers are PvM power houses that have little problem staying alive and vetting the pet. In process of building this one on a shard I recently infested and even not quite tamed he and the pet stay alive just fine.  The bushi lesser right off the bat has basically a 40% Damage reduction with the 120 Bushi/Parry Even wearing my junky training suit I can run consume and still regularly fire off specs, pally spells and keep myself and the lesser at full health with confidence/cleanse wounds/ and the occasion pot.  If I get targeted chug a invis pot to break it and go back to shooting.  The Bushi Lesser is a per build for a specific use but works for other stuff. But I have a Scrolled out Chiv Lesser, A scolled out Rune Corruption/FWW Blue and Fire Beetle and A Chiv FWW High end Triton trained up on this toon and little problem keeping them and myself alive and healed up without vet. 

Now when I finish up getting chiv and tactics to 120 I will be at 670 skill points and will drop my bushi to 50  I only have the bushi for honor and Confidence healing and 50 does just fine. I have 65 Vet stoned and will put it back on to bring the skill total to 720 And have a legendary set of jewels that among other useful things has 20 vet on each of them which will give me 105 vet skill and a mana free healing option for the pets and fairly dependable Rez ability.

So I am really not seeing yer malfunction here other than you want play inside of a very small and limited box.

And the 110 med was a oops but no big deal with 370 Int 30MR and 120 Focus and the 110 med the mana pool stays up just fine on the Bushi Lesser since I intentionally left AOE and Specs off his build I want the Whirl Wind Firing off as much as possible for his purpose in life :) this one ended with 817HP  370 Int  406 Mana 80/80/70/70/65 Resist Upside to This build is the turkey can stay in the fight with a lot less healing than a Chiv pet, down side to this build he deals a lot less single target damage than a Chiv Build but does not get chewed to pieces by mixed Mobs with EOO going .  I pretty much run 2 tamers one a stealth tamer with a Chiv Pet and one like this one with the Character and Bushi pet clearing mobs and tanking the the boss while the Chiv pet and Pally tamer deal out the fast big damage to eliminate the boss.

And yep Vet works fine the way it is, I am sensing the problem is not the mechanic but rather the operator ;)

Again @popps just don't have vet......problem solved..