Pub 111 bonded pet update

YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
edited September 2021 in Test Center

Bonded Pet Update

• Bonded pets (Non-pack animal) can no longer go wild and will no longer respond to commands from their owner until the pet owner feeds the pet
  • Pack animals and hirelings will now only stay in the offline auto stable for 24 hours after which they will be removed from the world if not retrieved.
"since there has been a change to autostable, and since it's now impossible for bonded pets to go wild, can you review the possibility for (non-pack animal) bonded pets to remain ingame until the character logs out? to solve multiple exploits detailed in bug forum. Also it's very annoying when suffering a connection loss/power cut and pet instantly disappears to stable instead of continuing to guard me until i have re-connected. 
(Currently pets go instantly to stables while character remains in-game if not logged out in a home/inn or recently engaged in combat)"
Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    this is well discussed in other threads and all concerns seemed to have been addressed IMO this is simply chasing imaginary issues...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited September 2021
    “The opposition was due to (unfounded) concern that a pet would turn wild during this 5 minute period, the changes absolutely guarantee this cannot happen.
    Be interesting to read your opposition reasoning now.
    The half dozen exploits are still being abused on a daily basis.”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    Who are the "they" that are exploiting this on a daily basis? And to what ends? it seems to rational people that you see ghost everywhere? 
    edited September 2021
    “The main culprits are solo sampires who log out to prevent the death of their swamp dragons upon their own death and then can simply continue/return without the assistance of a veterinarian. Mainly in tram - also in fel.

Normally also any animal tamer that does not have the veterinary skill. 

Any tamer that PvPs 100% of the time. In a group fight any tamer who tells their wildfire ostard to kill, if you kill the tamer they will continue to allow their invincible ostard to attack and poison all oranges on screen, (invincible because you cannot kill it as the user logs out when and only when you’ve invested mana and time to attempt to defend yourself by killing the pet)

Myself and ilk who leave a tamer in the underwater boss room and have access to a bot that tells me when someone has placed the keys and just log in a tamer and pet conveniently is next to my side. If I had to run out of the underwater and run the exploit to get my pet in again, by the time I got back to the boss I would’ve missed the encounter if I was not using the auto stable trick. I would prefer to perform encounters legitimately how they are supposed to be run but when it’s easier to just log in, say all kill, then log out, that is what you do..

these are some of the many scenarios that I witness and affect my play on the daily”
    I auto log to save my pet all the time even on my tamer stat loss is stupid and if you can magically get a pet into underwater while the rest of us are stuck with stupid crabs you must be a haxxor ... we are talking about packies here right ?
    edited September 2021
    “The pet is supposed the lose stats when it dies, that is intended, tamers have a mastery to gain pet skill faster. Not talking about pack creatures. 

The exploit to get pets into underwater is also detailed in bug forum and is performed about 20-30times a day on ATL but that is a separate issue

I have veterinary and I also auto log to save my pet sometimes, but it is not how the game is supposed to be played, it’s a cheat/trick

if I could log out to prevent my own death I would do that too”
    Players should lose stats when they die too  ;) this fix fixes what was broken perfectly it was not intended to fix any of these other issues real or imagined that you are discussing..
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
     ;) 
    edited September 2021
    “Yes I’m aware these issues were not intended to be fixed in pub 111 however was just asking to ‘review’, as they’re now all possible to be fixed with the current changes - which benefit tamers”
    Did you complain about dog archers  >:) i wish we could separate pvp fixes...maybe start them with is this player in the heat of battle...and while I razz you a lot you do some good work..
    edited September 2021
    “No no it’s mainly trammel problem, there are many sampires that do not feel it necessary to invite veterinarians along with them to encounters.

Many many sampires, not so many veterinarians, maybe people would like popps more if they needed him to res their swamp dragons”
    We don't care about auto logging to save our pets the people of tram
    Issue solved  :D
  • Pretty sure the devs have commented more than once saying it isn't a bug or exploit. This is a you issue. Let it go.
    edited September 2021
    “Here is the last comment from Misk on the subject (May 2018)

6. Pets are instantly auto-stabled when a player logs out.

• This is currently working as intended.  Although you bring up some valid concerns related to pets either in combat or having recently been in combat, the PROS significantly outweigh the CONS as this functionality is due to the fact that players really like their pets (almost as much as they like their houses) and they tend to get angry when beloved pets go missing due to lost connections, or errant pet behavior, etc.  The team is planning on brainstorming a potential solution to pets recently in combat, however, there is no ETA on this session.

With the latest update guaranteeing no loss of pet, just requesting a review

reminder of published solution to all known pet exploits (please excuse bold, could not edit on this device)

A ) for the pet to be autostabled at the same time the character logs out (meaning unless you log out in a friended house, inn, the character remains in game for 5 mins, as should the pet before being autostabled)

B ) for the pet to be retrieved from the stables upon log in (this is currently the case anyway if you log out when dead, however if you get resurrected and log out/in a second time, the pet actually appears next to you again which it shouldn't)

C ) for the current autostable system to not apply to non bonded pets

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited September 2021
    Pets do not follow you when you go around corners.  Pet summoning balls do not work in dungeons. Pets will stray away and not return.  Now if you keep calling them they will be unhappy and just stop moving.  How will someone find a pet that wanders away.

We have to tell someone daily to log off to retrieve their pet because no one can see them.
    Dead pets walk too slow to keep up with a player. If you have to go any distance to get to a place to leave, your dead pet will be somewhere in a Dungeon and you cant find it. 

Fix the issues that cause players to need to log off to return their pets to them.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited September 2021
    Pawain said:

Dead pets walk too slow to keep up with a player. If you have to go any distance to get to a place to leave, your dead pet will be somewhere in a Dungeon and you cant find it. 

Fix the issues that cause players to need to log off to return their pets to them.
    "No changes to dead pets were proposed, as you cannot stable a dead pet, so they should still be by your side when you log out/in (instantly if in a safe location, - would have to time out fully if not in a safe location) - pet balls of summoning still work for dead pets, i use mine daily- and they work in dungeons, only ilshenar they do not work in. 

If for example your pet was in the middle of a dungeon and you had lost control of the pet (was very very unhappy) and it was still alive and for whatever reason you couldn't reach it, and you didn't have a pet ball of summoning, you can still ofcourse log out and retrieve it from the stables under the proposals. While there are areas such as ilshenar where summoning pets is not permitted, let us say your pet was in the middle of an ilshenar dungeon, you can still travel to any area and use the pet ball of summoning in any area where summoning is permitted and even though the pet is in a summoning prohibited area - the pet ball of summoning will still summon the pet so long as you're in a non prohibited area. 

The developers put a lot of work into pet balls of summoning

I use my pet ball of summoning because i play with a lot of friends (often 10 plus people) and on official CC i will lose their healthbars when i log out and in to retrieve my pet - it's a real pain to grab them all again, if i was playing alone i would do what is easiest and log out and in to retrieve my pet instead of using a charge on my pet ball. 
    people will always do whatever is the easiest solution to any problem"
    edited September 2021
    Pawain said:
    Pets do not follow you when you go around corners.  Pet summoning balls do not work in dungeons. Pets will stray away and not return.  Now if you keep calling them they will be unhappy and just stop moving.  How will someone find a pet that wanders away.

We have to tell someone daily to log off to retrieve their pet because no one can see them.

Excited Celebration GIF
    "i remember being able to play a tamer without needing to use exploits/tricks"
    Yoshi said:
    So you admit that you are using exploits/tricks now as a Tamer, TY for admitting that.
    I guess recalling with bonded pets is an exploit because the only way to move pets way back then was with gates.
    Rezzing a Pet is also another exploit, we just tamed a new pet.  Please tell us that you release dead pets or better yet that you do not bond your pets so you can play old school Tamer. 
    Wait you mentioned training a pet to 5 slot, OMG you bonded a pet and trained a pet shame on you.
    Pet Bonding and Training is a NEW Trick that the DEVs gave us.

• Yoshi said:

I remember posting on forums where if you were banned on one account, you weren't allowed to create a new one.
    Another example of something that needs fixed before changing things.
    Pet following AI and bug.

The main pic:
    I noticed a Dog I knew stuck here.  The player was entering the gate and her pet got stuck on the Paladins in luna just like they will do 90% of the time.

So I called her in chat and said her dog was here in Luna getting unhappy.
    She said How?  I am on my dog.
    She dismounted and said now my dog is fighting.
    (Dog still in Luna)
    I told her her dog was still here.
    She logged off and on. Dog was still in Luna and her mount elsewhere.

Picture 2:
    She came to Luna and she saw the two dogs.  Logged off. Still two dogs. The stuck one did not log off with her.
    Then she dismounted and the one she was riding that was fighting a few minutes ago went poof.
    Her dog that was stuck on the guards was her real dog.

Too many things cause our pets not to be with us.  She had no idea her dog was not really with her and the real dog could have gone wild. If this were a Beetle with items on it  and I had not noticed the real pet was in Luna she may have logged off somewhere and if she did not log on in 24 hours her Beetle would be gone with no explanation in her mind. @Kyronix
    temp.png 167.1K
    I just can't even with the straw grabbing.. i so want to tear this apart but am just going to be done commenting about this..
    McDougle said:
    I just can't even with the straw grabbing.. i so want to tear this apart but am just going to be done commenting about this..
    But what if the Beetle had a Top Hat in it that could be transmogrified?  You still want it to go poof.

And you could have come to LS and see that unfold.
    edited September 2021
    “Pawain, you’re going to rather great and obscure lengths to justify not fixing exploits because you personally don’t want to use a pet ball of summoning.

Have you tried them?
    what is your problem with them?
    they’re only 10gp to insure. You can unattach and reattach them to whatever pet you take out of the stables without using a charge. 

I will gladly supply you with 1000 powder of trans if that’s what you’re worried about.

Whomever designed the pet balls done a very very good and thorough job, they work very well indeed. 

It’s a shame tamers don’t know about them as they’re just told to use the ‘trick’ of logging out/in to summon their pet. A real shame and waste that these pet balls have gone unused for so long.
    whatever dev put all the effort into making them work would be so disheartened if they knew it was all for nothing”
    From UO Guide
    https://www.uoguide.com/Pets

Running Ghosts

When a pet dies, sometimes it will run (as fast as it possibly can) in a set direction, not stopping until it simply can't proceed any further (for example, it reaches the ocean).

One way to combat this is to have a macro ready to say "All Follow Me" at the push of a button, hence allowing you to recall your pet before it runs too far away.

If for whatever reason you fail to do this in time (say you were also killed!), the use of the auto-stable feature can be used to retrieve errant ghosts.

So I guess your pet ball is useless and I will take UO Guide over your word any day.
    edited September 2021
    “You realise uoguide is written by players right? And anyone can edit it…

I would change it but I’ve been unable to log in since it’s been on the new server, I don’t think anyone can.

I can’t speak for the devs, but I’ve a feeling the auto stable was put in place to prevent loss of pets (which is now not possible under pub111) not as a free replacement to using pet balls

also the proposed minor adjustments are only asking for a delay in the auto stable process if not logged out in a safe location.

they are minor adjustments”