Target cannot be seen....?

DamadarDamadar Posts: 10
Hi returning veteran, lost my account when UO taken over, decided to build more or less the same character again from scratch. I've done that, however these days, its borderline unplayable. my mage cant cast anything, anywhere, as hes developed absolute total blindness, and then when he can see the spot the spell fizzles, or it casts and quite literally will spawn my summon so far away from where i actually clicked its becoming really tedious trying to do anything worth doing.

Also upon right clicking to move my character goes on a mad sprint around just following the mouse to which im having to spam click to stop him from moving, and yes autorun is disabled?

Feels like its a terrible experience compared to 10 years ago, things i used to regularly farm are now downright hard, and not in a skill way, in an absolute janky messed up way?!

Anybody know why this is? or is this just Uo now haha

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “please pm me"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    "
    (issue with character following mouse and spell fizzling resolved in PM)

I have actually identified an issue,

On classic client you're given the option to try again when a target cannot be seen with a summon,

Whereas on Enhanced client, you're not presented with the option to try again and must recast the spell, very unusual for CC to have advantage over EC. "

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Yoshi said:
    "
    (issue with character following mouse and spell fizzling resolved in PM)

I have actually identified an issue,

On classic client you're given the option to try again when a target cannot be seen with a summon,

Whereas on Enhanced client, you're not presented with the option to try again and must recast the spell, very unusual for CC to have advantage over EC. "

@Kyronix

This is mentioned in the context of summons and "target cannot be seen" when an invalid spot is targeted.  From personal experience, it's not always possible to tell if the server considers a target valid or not.  

It seems there are a couple ways to look at this.  The broader way is to consider all spells that require recasting due to "target cannot be seen" -- not just summons.  Both the EC and CC should simply give you a cursor to [re]target, without requiring you to re-cast the spell.  

If a fix for summons (only) was being considered, I have to wonder if the server should just pick the nearest valid space to drop the summons, rather than causing a re-target (as these too can fail as the valid spaces to target aren't always obvious).

Separate from that, it seems monsters do not have the same line of site/distance checks when they are casting at players, giving monsters an advantage.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742

Separate from that, it seems monsters do not have the same line of site/distance checks when they are casting at players, giving monsters an advantage.

So much this......
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited September 2021
    McDougle said:

So much this......

"Which monsters? i have found no evidence of this, please specify monsters/spells that exceed your range"
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

So much this......

"Which monsters? i have found no evidence of this, please specify monsters/spells that exceed your range"
    You are joking right.  How many times have you run a long way from a MOB and still get hit by the spell they cast and I have yet have that happen from another Char, you can out run their spells.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    This just happens.  You see the target but can’t damage it.  Usually, it can’t damage you either.  It does not happen that often though but it does sometimes routinely repeat in the same spot with the same monster.  Casting protection prevents your spells from fizzling in other situations.
    iIf you don’t have a mentor or guild to help you out and provide you with resources and information you need, you will likely find UO the most new user unfriendly game you have ever played.
    By the way,if you have not gotten the magery mastery yet the masteries book and highest level mastery you can get.  Death ray is very effective on targets fighting something else.  For example, if your ev can keep the target busy, you can usually kill it pretty fast with the death ray.
    edited September 2021
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

So much this......

You are joking right.  How many times have you run a long way from a MOB and still get hit by the spell they cast and I have yet have that happen from another Char, you can out run their spells.

"please specify and demonstrate,

most spells have a delay before the damage hits, so perhaps they were casted whilst you were in range and only hit after you moved out of range

EG: I can make all the casters at Moonglow graveyard attack me and stand outside the graveyard exactly one tile outside of my range to reach them, and they're still unable to reach me with any spell. There are both magery and necro casters"
    Yoshi said:
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

So much this......

"please specify and demonstrate,

most spells have a delay before the damage hits"
    OMG What you need another VIDEO and you have been playing UO what a week now.  Merv get a life.  I want you to make Videos of every one of your whatever posts or you are nothing but a lier how's that.  You have played so long that you never had a fireball follow you off screen, what a joke.
    edited September 2021
    "The fireball animation will absolutely follow me all the way from the top of the lost lands to the bottom, but that is just the animation, the damage hit me a long time ago"
    Yoshi said:
    "The fireball animation will absolutely follow me all the way from the top of the lost lands to the bottom, but that is just the animation, the damage hit me a long time ago"
    Bullcrap
    "please specify and demonstrate, with a video
    edited September 2021
    "I dragged this magic arrow animation from the graveyard, but i can assure the damage hit me whilst i was nearer the graveyard, and when the animation made contact with my character when i stopped, there was no damage. Is just an animation

I am asking to specify and demonstrate if i cannot reproduce the issue

If you really do not believe me, i can demonstrate with a video (i have this setup), however this should not be necessary with the clear instructions given"

Yoshi said:
    "I dragged this magic arrow animation from the graveyard, but i can assure the damage hit me whilst i was nearer the graveyard, and when the animation made contact with my character when i stopped, there was no damage. Is just an animation"

This proves nothing you are a lier just like you call me all the time.  Where is your video, you are ALWAYS right maybe we can get this account banned also along with your Merv account.
    edited September 2021
    The delayed hits when you are way out of the casters range reflect hits from when you in range.  As has been mentioned by another the animation just takes time to catch up and points lost do to.  It has always been like this I would guess.  It can only display one hit at a time so if you have several one animation follows another.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 784
    edited September 2021
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

So much this......

There were two cases called out here.  Out of range, and no LOS.

An easy place to see the first is the shadowlord.  Use the ladder to pop out of the hold whilst being aggressed by shadowlord/wisps.  You'll see all sorts of spells hit you after you pop up topside via the ladder, and the damage applies after you are topside, including flamestrikes.  You can easily die topside this way.

No LOS was easy to observe in the last treasures of dungeon.  Near the lich lord room, you could walk behind the building, while getting hit by spells from a lich near the front of the building.  Some monsters could cast down to you from the small building roof tops, and you could not target them either.

Both issues may relate to server queuing up damage packets, doing limited checks based on target location, which is also subject to change and may be[come] out of sync.  The server code may have several optimizations around this.   devs would need to comment on this.

Range checks aren't true radius checks either, (e.g. archery can reach more than 10 spaces in some cases, as can magery, etc).  It appears to be a range in X or Y only, in most cases.  Another possible optimization.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    Prob some think they are damaged off screen because a couple of explosions hit when you think you are safe.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 784
    edited September 2021
    Yoshi said:
    McDougle said:

So much this......

No LOS was easy to observe in the last treasures of dungeon.  Near the lich lord room, you could walk behind the building, while getting hit by spells from a lich near the front of the building.  Some monsters could cast down to you from the small building roof tops, and you could not target them either.

Here's one specific current example of the LOS issue.
    Go to the bottom of tram hythloth, near the portculis.  stand at 6086, 68,27 coords specifically.
    Observe gargoyles approaching across the bridge hitting you with various spells while you stand there.  You cannot target them.
    edited September 2021
    “Flame strike is a delayed spell, that is how it hits you topside. The only Magery spells with no delay are weaken, feeble mind, clumsy, curse, harm, poison, lightning, para, mana vamp, mana drain”
  • Yoshi said:
    “Flame strike is a delayed spell, that is how it hits you topside. The only Magery spells with no delay are weaken, feeble mind, clumsy, curse, harm, poison, lightning, para, mana vamp, mana drain”
    Damage has registered top side from FS outside the circa 1sec delay (been topside > 1 second).
    Paralyze applying topside has also been observed, as well as poison applying topside.
    edited September 2021
    "i'm not logged in, but i think i have observed this too before, (running from star room, to terra keep back to star room whilst the champ is level 3) like you say they may be somehow queueing/stacking the spells while in range - which shouldn't really happen

Or, perhaps there is a delay in the range update when moving through a teleporter, i'll have a go at reproducing without moving through a teleporter"
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I haven't removed the sillier posts in this thread because they are too tied up to the more constructive ones, but I would ask the two more antagonist posters to please desist.
    I do know that I I died often at top of stairs from breath attack of a paragon down stairs as long as that is delayed damage and not the ability to mana dump on me when I'm out of sight cuz honestly that's what it felt like..
    Same thing that happened to McDougle happened to me in the same place in fire.  Game animations can’t display in real time when the action gets heavy.  Don’t think anything can be done about it.  At least your corpse I will be in a safer place when you go looking for it, usually.
    “Firebreath is quite a long delayed damage yes”
  • Note my observations are all about when the damage/effects are applied.
    The animations are known to be delayed, and may also not even follow a sensible path on screen from source to destination.

Fire breath can often be avoided damage wise as there is a sound effect "warning".  For dragons, hydras, etc.
    edited September 2021
    "yes @ForeverFun , it seems the spells do queue whilst you're in range, and hit you when you're out of range when hit by multiple spells/mobs (even spells without a delay), regardless of whether you have gone through a teleporter, i'm not sure if this intended or not.

(this means @Lord_Frodo was also correct)
    "
    this and other areas like in in Hythloth are gonna cause a lot of the issues we are discussing
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    All I know is when 3 Lichs all fire at me at once and I immediately run away, They hit me.

I chalk them up to what Arnold said, The games animations and time for the signals to go cross country. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Yoshi said:
    (this means @ Lord_Frodo was also correct)
    "
    LMAO