City Invasions

During the 20th Anniversary event, we had the city invasions.
After we discovered the mages were dropping spellbooks
the mages were quickly targeted and killed.
People would then leave and leave everyone else to kill all of the spawn.

Then the city invasions returned once more, with the same attendance/non-attendance.

I keep hearing people ask if these city invasions could be brought back again.
Some people want it brought back because of the spellbooks,
and others had so much fun doing these battles. 
(I loved killing the Titans. They have such awesome graphic movements,
which are lost at EM Events, because you can't really see it there)

If the city invasions were to make a comeback, I suggest...
get everyone to participate throughout the cycle at that city

they should make each group spawn in rounds, like a champ spawn
first round archers (green armor)
2nd round warriors (red platemail & blue chainmailarmor)
3rd round mages (blue armor)
All captains and lieutenants have to be killed before the next round starts

========

I know that not everyone will agree with this...
but I think everyone would enjoy it more if everyone would work together
to advance the whole spawn.

Comments

• I would like to think that additional city invasions or raids or whatever they are would not use exactly the same mechanic - at minimum it'd be good for the main villains to not be the Titans again.

Hell even the same mechanic but with the spellbooks spread around and a different boss (even if it weren't that different behind the scenes) would be good.

Or they could do a "Treasures of" mechanic, but in waves and with bosses for the waves, and have spellbooks as one of the rewards with a very high amount for the turnin AND random properties on each book; and/or as a rare replacement for "treasures." As in you can get a "treasure" with a one in, say, one hundred chance of getting a spellbook.

There are a lot of ways to skin this particular cat with relatively minor variations on existing mechanics.
  • Invasions must really pose quite a puzzle for them. On the one hand they are very engaging spawns to fight. You can literally find yourself in the middle of one just by going about your daily normal UO business. They can disrupt routines and bring vitality to the game world.

On the other hand, for the same reasons they can be alienating and annoying and, let's face it, we've had a lot of them.

So I can see it being a difficult puzzle for them to sort out. When to have another one, and under what circumstances, and how much of a threat exactly it should be when it happens.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Enjoyed the invasion event because players worked together to take down the generals but thought it was crap that all the spell books were awarded to players in the first five to ten minutes of an event that went on for another three or four hours or more.  Really think that needs to be corrected either by having the mage generals spawn periodically during the event or by having the books spawn randomly throughout the event so that everyone has a chance to get one.
    Also thought it was crap that mages could not use summons, like EV, when tamers could use pets powerful enough to solo three or more generals at a time.
    Have to wonder if anyone wanted the other weapons that dropped into packs.  Don’t think any of the ones I got sold at any price.  I saw lots of them on the ground.  I had heard from other players that they were only good for unraveling.
    Have heard the same complaints about the invasions for three years now.  Would like to see developers act on them.

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I agree with solving the issue of the spellbook grab and go. That was really annoying. 

As for the weapons, I’d like to see all weapons be imbuable. The bows were. Why not the melee weapons too?
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    If the spellbooks are available I think any of the posts so far would be a big improvement!
  • A simpler solution (and better imo) is just make the spell books random drops on any mob of any class with a weighted %. The higher the fame/rand of the mob the higher the chance. I am not talking about massive differences between a grunt and a general. Maybe 15% better chance to drop off a general vs a grunt.

The way the invasions currently work in regards to the spell books is simply broken.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974

The way the invasions currently work in regards to the spell books is simply broken.
    I have over 150 invasion spell books. That does not seem broken to me. Atlantic has plenty on VS.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited September 2021
    The Bane Soul Glaives that could drop from the Archer Generals with a Gargoyle char were actually useful. The Mage Generals could drop SDI Spellbooks up to 50%, and the Healer Generals could drop Slayer Spellbooks with up to 30% SDI and Slayers not normally found on anything but Talismans.

I'd use my Disco/Tamer with 5 Wolf Spiders along with a 4x120 Bard/Mage to farm the Mage Generals fast, always got the Spellbook with that team (5 Wolf Spiders dealing a total of 500-600 damage every 1.25 secs is hard to beat...). Then i'd use a EJ team of Garg Throwers along with the 4x120 Bard/Mage to farm the Archer Generals. My Wolf Spiders would clean up the rest of the spawn fast.

But yeah, every General should've had a chance to drop a weapon/spellbook, just to encourage completing the entire spawn.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    If that makes a come back, the drops in the backpacks should be awarded from killing the ENTIRE spawn, not just specific MoBs....

But then, we would just see Sampires and Warriors going on a killing spree and killing anything that moves.... leaving hardly any targets for the rest of the players...

I wonder, if it was to be possible to find a particular Design and mechanics which was to really be fair towards, if not all templates, at least towards the most popular ones...

I am tired to see Events being released where, pretty much, it is always Warriors and Sampires who are needed to get the best results...
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246

The Invasions themselves were a lot of fun.

The Loot distribution mechanism was a disaster.

It led to really bad playstyles, and therefore ruined the event for a lot of people.

popps said:
    I am tired to see Events being released where, pretty much, it is always Warriors and Sampires who are needed to get the best results...

I am with you on this.

Our stealthers and mages retired for the last event.

I loved the event itself, but Sampires still need to be got rid of, in the interests of game balance, still not changed my view however many years in. We now have a situation where Sampires afk script several Champ spawns, just because it is so easy for them. Even when I attack them, they put up a good fight, which is impressive considering the player isn't even there.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Cookie said:
    popps said:

I am with you on this.

Our stealthers and mages retired for the last event.

I loved the event itself, but Sampires still need to be got rid of, in the interests of game balance, still not changed my view however many years in. We now have a situation where Sampires afk script several Champ spawns, just because it is so easy for them. Even when I attack them, they put up a good fight, which is impressive considering the player isn't even there.

Just get out the patented Ninja nerf stick 
    1. Leech in vamp based on SS (why isn't this already a thing)
    2. All bushido spells require garlic lots of garlic 
    3.no casting of spells in vamp form...
    I can go on with ways to fix this abomination...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    popps said:
    If that makes a come back, the drops in the backpacks should be awarded from killing the ENTIRE spawn, not just specific MoBs....

But then, we would just see Sampires and Warriors going on a killing spree and killing anything that moves.... leaving hardly any targets for the rest of the players...

I wonder, if it was to be possible to find a particular Design and mechanics which was to really be fair towards, if not all templates, at least towards the most popular ones...

LOL  So make a Sampire or a Warrior and join in the fun, stop asking or infering that everything needs to be catered to your play style and it's funny considering that my pup or GD was killing stuff just as fast as other players.
    popps said:

I got my books on my tamers. Never tried anything else.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    I feel like this is a pretty moot topic because during the second coming of the Invasions the devs said repeatedly that they only turned them on because of the extraordinary circumstances around COVID and did not intend to change anything about their functions. They also said that moving forward these kinds of events would work more like the recent Treasures events we've been having.

Pawain said:
    popps said:

I got my books on my tamers. Never tried anything else.
    LOL So did I and a lot of other players I know
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    Jepeth said:
    I feel like this is a pretty moot topic because during the second coming of the Invasions the devs said repeatedly that they only turned them on because of the extraordinary circumstances around COVID and did not intend to change anything about their functions. They also said that moving forward these kinds of events would work more like the recent Treasures events we've been having.

I know that, but people keep asking for them to return.
    And my suggestion was more aimed at next year (25th Anniversary)
    this is to give them an idea for after New Legacy is out
    (if it comes out when they expect it too)

And these current "Treasures of" events
    don't have the Titans in them.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Jepeth said:

Yeah cuz we need some of them titan paragons ...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    McDougle said:
    Jepeth said:

Yeah cuz we need some of them titan paragons ...
    don't give them ideas lol

on Sonoma, 3 people could take down the Titan, it just takes time.

I'd hate to have to fight a paragon Titan
  • Pawain said:

I have over 150 invasion spell books. That does not seem broken to me. Atlantic has plenty on VS.
    Arguing with this point of view like this is like clapping with one hand. There is no point & it make no contribution whatsoever to improving a poorly designed system in which there are numerous, legitimate complaints.

I have even more books than that, including multiples of the rarest ones - Reptile slayers & multiple 50% SDI books. Clearly I know how to work the mechanics, also. I am not content to just grab loot and hoard it. The invasions need to be rethought. They are a very bad bottleneck design.
    Pawain said:

Arguing with this point of view like this is like clapping with one hand. There is no point & it make no contribution whatsoever to improving a poorly designed system in which there are numerous, legitimate complaints.

I have even more books than that, including multiples of the rarest ones - Reptile slayers & multiple 50% SDI books. Clearly I know how to work the mechanics, also. I am not content to just grab loot and hoard it. The invasions need to be rethought. They are a very bad bottleneck design.
    @Pawain was responding to @popps about the type of player that was getting the drop and proving to @popps that even a Tamer could get them easily not about the design of the invasion itself so yes his response to @popps was VERY valid.  Yes the distribution design sucked.

• If it doesn't cost much dev resource to re-enable the invasions periodically, what's the downside?

People that are swimming in books/etc already can simply ignore it.  That would at least give others the chance again to revisit it.  Not everybody has access to ATL, or the funds...

Bards do very well at the invasions too, as well as tamers.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I don't like the Invasion, it's 3 minute of excitement and 3 hours of cleaning up. 

The good guys will do 3 hours 3 mins of work.

The lazy guys will just come for 3 mins and rest for 3 hours. And then they come back again.

Keep the Invasion but convert them to drop minor arties in exchange for the rewards. 

Generals drop 5 minor arties, Captains drop 3 and so on. If one person solo the General then he guarantees 3 minor arties. 

Then it makes sense to spend 3 hours killing the spawns which are tough.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited September 2021
    popps said:

Not sure how many times to repeat the sampire is no longer useful in such events because they cannot leech. Mine is already converted to a healing warrior. 

Thanks to all of you selfish players who don't play sampire and asking for it to be nerfed.

I pray hard that Dev nerf all your other templates whatever they maybe. I pray that you lose all your years of investment in developing the  character, and losing them overnight.

Nerf splintering bokuto weapons and mages that carry shields too. They all don't make sense, how on earth can a wooden sword warrior and weak mages carrying a shield become a main useful template. 

Nerf them all.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Seth said:
    popps said:

Not sure how many times to repeat the sampire is no longer useful in such events because they cannot leech. Mine is already converted to a healing warrior. 

Thanks to all of you selfish players who don't play sampire and asking for it to be nerfed.

I pray hard that Dev nerf all your other templates whatever they maybe. I pray that you lose all your years of investment in developing the  character, and losing them overnight.

Nerf splintering bokuto weapons and mages that carry shields too. They all don't make sense, how on earth can a wooden sword warrior and weak mages carrying a shield become a main useful template. 

Nerf them all.
    Wow I bet that was very upsetting to have to stone off necro and put healing on.
    edited September 2021
    Seth said:

Sampires dominated this event. Like unbelievable domination. To the point they could just afk script it.

Yes it has been made a tiny bit harder for them, but no other template is close still. You cannot leech off a paragon? You can still leech off every other mob there.

Yes, I personally used a healing warrior, but my reward drops were noticeably and knowingly down compared to everyone else around me.