Runed Sash of Warding : does anyone use them ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,904
edited August 2021 in General Discussions
Runed Sash of Warding https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/artifact-collections/artifacts-buried/

To my understanding, they come with a limited number of charges (50), each of which only lasts for 10 seconds, and its effect is to reduce 10% the incoming damage from spells or weapons (depending which Sash is being used, therefore, it is not even good for "both" types of damage, but one would have to swap the 2 types of sashes all the time depending on what damage they were hit by......).

Does anyone really use them ? To what purpose because, personally, I fail to see the usefullness of them.

The number of charges is too low, and they last for too short a time span.

Besides, there is also the annoying need to have to always activate the sash every 10 seconds, that is, it does not self-activate for the entire 50 charges lasting (about 8 minutes total).... of course, unless one has a script runnning which activates the sash every 10 seconds... and then, usually damage is not unique (either spells or weapons) but is a mix.... so having a sash that helps reduce 10% for one type of damage, but not for the other, and having to have to swap the 2 sashes all the time, looks to me more trouble then whatever (little) good it might do....

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I would think perhaps if people found them useful that the chances are they would use them

Consequently if they found them not useful they would not 

Now bear with me but per chance if they were totally changed then would the usage not go up or down 

Solely based on if the intended user found it useful or not

To summarize I'd suggest using if useful or not 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,904
    I do not find them useful BUT, perhaps, I am missing something ?

That is why I was asking if anyone else found them usefull for anything....
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Ah i suppose you could try using if you can afford to lose the item you currently have in that slot 

However I will council now you have probably already decided if it is in fact useful or not to yourself and any further discussion or testing will do little to sway your predetermined decision 

But i do suggest continuing to test and question despite the fact that you already know the answer 

I do suppose there is a chance no matter how slim 
    That someone else may have decided they do in fact find it useful and their experience could potentially change your mind 

So the view is clear either use it IF you find it useful ir NIT  if you don't 

Or at least that's how I see it 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Have a number of these.  No one buys them.  Don’t really know how to activate it.  I suppose by double clicking.  Guessing if it only lasts 10 seconds you would only activate it when you where actually being attracted and in Wildfire that means you would probably be looking to be raised before any damage was reduced.
    Arnold7 said:
    Have a number of these.  No one buys them.  Don’t really know how to activate it.  I suppose by double clicking.  Guessing if it only lasts 10 seconds you would only activate it when you where actually being attracted and in Wildfire that means you would probably be looking to be raised before any damage was reduced.
    Yes, you activate the 10 seconds charge by double clicking the Sash... and it only lasts for one 10 seconds charge..... need to double click it again for another 10 seconds charge usage....

I have been trying to think hard why this one item has been made, but, honestly, as it is, I cannot find any really practical use for it...

That is why I thought to ask on the Forums if anyone else had found any realistic practical use that justifies the existance of this item...

Out of curiosity....
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I have them on my characters and honestly forget to use them 99.99% of the time but if I do remember to use them, I see nothing wrong with a little extra help in combat. It would be cool if they had a longer duration with each charge though. 
    edited August 2021
    dvvid said:
    I have them on my characters and honestly forget to use them 99.99% of the time but if I do remember to use them, I see nothing wrong with a little extra help in combat. It would be cool if they had a longer duration with each charge though. 
    Out of cusiority, since you use them, sometimes, how do you handle the fact that they are distinct, one for Spell damage protection, and another for Weapon damage protection ?

Do you have a macro to swap them out while fighting, continuously ?

I mean, the same target could be using both spells and weapon damage...

At the end of the day, do you think that the 10% damage protection help that they give, from spells or weapons (either or...) is worth all of the extra macros that one needs to set up and remember using, continuously, during a fight ?

Thanks.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    If I had a macro for them, which I’ve been meaning to make, I’d remember to use it more often. I haven’t been swapping them although I’ve thought about that for macros. I just throw a spell damage one on my mage characters and melee damage one on my melee characters and use them in the right conditions if I even remember to use them. I see any extra percentage of protection from any damage as useful so I’d say it’s worth it to use them if a better sash isn’t available to take their place. 

This thread has me wanting to macro them finally though so I think I will :)
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,780
    I use my sash as a sacrificial piece of equipment to reduce damage other equipment takes.