Any advice on a Pet capable of killing Paragon Balrons ?

I have seen Dexers capable of solo killing Paragon Balrons, sure, it takes them some time, but they can do it.

As a Tamer, I have been trying to find a pet (and training) that would be able to kill a Paragon Balron, on its own, but so, far, was not able to come up with one...

As any other Tamer out there been able to find a Pet and a training that can take down on its own a Paragon Balron ?

Thanks for the advice !!

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    All of them?? Seriously pops....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    If it sees my pet first, then my Chiv Ai Cu can
    but i also cast spells on the the paragon with a Demon Slayer SDI spellbook

And this pet actually started killing them when it first got to a 4 slot pet.
    before I started putting any power scrolls on it.

the only one I really have a problem with my CU
    (without help from another tamer)
    is the succubus
    (And it tends to spawn the same day as the 
    Balron, Daemon, lava elemental, and fire steeds
    are everywhere)
  • AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    I have a Triton that can kill a Balron but it will hide under my skirt when it sees a Succubus or a Lava Elemental. I don't bother with fancy, smancy slayers as I like to just simply play and not get distracted by the gazillion different game mechanic angles. Okay, so I'll admit I'll wear some luck now and again and I have mana stuff. But that's about it. I know my limits and play accordingly. If I need help with a Lava or Succubus I'll ask for it.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    If it sees my pet first, then my Chiv Ai Cu can
    but i also cast spells on the the paragon with a Demon Slayer SDI spellbook

And this pet actually started killing them when it first got to a 4 slot pet.
    before I started putting any power scrolls on it.

the only one I really have a problem with my CU
    (without help from another tamer)
    is the succubus
    (And it tends to spawn the same day as the 
    Balron, Daemon, lava elemental, and fire steeds
    are everywhere)
    That is weird.

I use a frost Dragon and I can do Paragon Succubus.

Sure, I need a quiet surrounding with no side spawn, since I need to heavily heal it, but, I can do the Paragon Succubus. It takes forever, though....

I see dexers taking down Paragon Succubus in probably, 1/6th the time it takes me....

But the Paragon Balrons ?

No way. They do way more damage to my pet that I can heal.... and this, mind you, with Gift or Renewal active on the pet.... it is flat out impossible for me to do Paragon Balrons...
    From your many other post i recall you play a stealth tamer?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Tamers kill them on LS.  As I stated in the guide I made. A balron two lowest resists are energy and cold. That fits a Cu perfectly.

Yes a pet takes longer. All you are doing is saying all kill. Hold a Demon slayer book and cast ebolt to speed it up.

Also dexxers are using slayer weapons with the correct damage type weapons.
    Your pet does not have slayer teeth.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Why are you using a Frost Dragon?
    If he is a stealth tamer i would bet he has no eval and is trying to heal his pet with greater heal
    edited August 2021
    Frost dragon does cold and physical.  So he is 50% good.  But those have around 90 Phy resist.

I assume he chose it because they have 1000HP and he thought that was good.

A triton would also do same damage but they have healing and are less squishy than dragons. And they can heal.

Para Balrons have so many HP that it takes forever to do them with just a pet and no player damage.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Pawain said:
    Frost dragon does cold and physical.  So he is 50% good.  But those have around 90 Phy resist.

I assume he chose it because they have 1000HP and he thought that was good.

A triton would also do same damage but they have healing and are less squishy than dragons. And they can heal.

Para Balrons have so many HP that it takes forever to do them with just a pet and no player damage.
    Agreed.  Even a pup IMHO would do better than a frost dragon.  At least you would be hitting his 2 lowest resists and a pup can heal also.
  • How many times have you asked this and how many times have people told you

disco tamer and a cu

why on earth are you using a frost dragon

No wonder you are always having a mare and complaining that others do so well writing essays in here
    just listen to what people tell you
    i bet you don’t even have a disco tamer or a cu do you ?

• McDougle said:
    If he is a stealth tamer i would bet he has no eval and is trying to heal his pet with greater heal

Greater heal and heal aren't based on eval, just magery skill.

• AaylaAayla Posts: 170
    McDougle said:
    From your many other post i recall you play a stealth tamer?
     :D 
    McDougle said:

Greater heal and heal aren't based on eval, just magery skill.

learn something all the time...
    120 magery gives great heals and bless.
  • Pawain said:
    120 magery gives great heals and bless.

bless duration, however, IS based on eval...
    Pawain said:
    Tamers kill them on LS.  As I stated in the guide I made. A balron two lowest resists are energy and cold. That fits a Cu perfectly.

Yes a pet takes longer. All you are doing is saying all kill. Hold a Demon slayer book and cast ebolt to speed it up.

Also dexxers are using slayer weapons with the correct damage type weapons.
    Your pet does not have slayer teeth.

That is quite difficult to do if the Tamer needs to cast Greater Heal on the pet a go-go....

There is not much room in between to can offensive spells on the Paragon Balron.... other then the occasional one when the pet is at full health...

But the Paragon Balrons hit for a LOT of damage so, keeping the pet healed is the priority, and that leaves little room for also using offensive spells....
    edited August 2021
    McDougle said:
    No, not a stealth Tamer but still no room for Evaluate Intelligence as I use Spellweaving and Resisting Spells (which I am not sure why I have it when, at 120 resist but down to 85 because of Protection, I am never able to resist Monsters' Poisoning spells....), aside from the Taming Skills....
    edited August 2021
    How many times have you asked this and how many times have people told you

disco tamer and a cu

No wonder you are always having a mare and complaining that others do so well writing essays in here

I "had" CU-Sidhes from before the Pet Training introduction....

Too bad, though, that now those CU-Sidhes, Dragons and 5 slots pets that a lot of Tamers may have in their Stables have been made useless by the Designers because, when they introduced the Pet Training, they did not do something for Tamers to be able to keep all of those older pets as still viable...

And, I just did not have the time and will to go out and tame tons of new CU-Sidhes or Dragons and scroll and train them up....

I also do not see "why" those already tamed and stabled old CU-Sidhes and Dragons had to have been made "useless" overnight, thus wasting all of the effort that players put into selecting and getting them, back in the days.
  • popps said:

disco tamer and a cu

Too bad, though, that now those CU-Sidhes, Dragons and 5 slots pets that a lot of Tamers may have in their Stables have been made useless by the Designers because, when they introduced the Pet Training, they did not do something for Tamers to be able to keep all of those older pets as still viable...

And, I just did not have the time and will to go out and tame tons of new CU-Sidhes or Dragons and scroll and train them up....

I also do not see "why" those already tamed and stabled old CU-Sidhes and Dragons had to have been made "useless" overnight, thus wasting all of the effort that players put into selecting and getting them, back in the days.
    Popps just get over yourself will you

EVERYONE else has adapted. Everyone else has crappy cu’s that they don’t use now

you want advice and then debate the s**t out if it 

I will NOT entertain this as I do not need to negotiate with you  I have 9 fully trained tamers on multiple shards that WORK 

so here is what you need to do

1. take a long look at yourself and your attitude here
    2. Actually take in what people are saying to you
    3. you are not clever enough to convince us that we are wrong
    4 get a cu. any colour it does not matter
    5 get a level 3 taming mastery
    6 train the pet
    7 go kill stuff

you have plenty of time. You waste so much of it here with your looooooooong drawn out borefest journals

if you want to get on in the game you have to adapt.  Bin the frost dragon I mean damn, really?..

if you don’t have time then just do us ALL a favour and quit   Everyone else finds the time. You cannot have it all handed to you.  

When this event is over sort your life out and prepare for the next one

and NO a thief is not the way forward in these events

and train a sampire 

and STOP wasting game time thinking up nonsense arguments to trivial problems that only you seem to have 

if you don’t have the required armour or masteries etc BUY them. After all this time your bank must be stuffed with gold 

• And yes you will need to accept that old Pre training let’s don’t cut it.  Unless you have nightmares and pre patch pets.  And no I am not going to spoon feed u all that info for you to trivialise and bore me to death with questions 

everyone but YOU have accepted and moved on. The time to whinge about pet training is loooooong past.  It’s here. Get used to it and learn

1 disco tamer.
    2 SW tamer mage
     Create and train both of the above

REAL taming skills not jewels and a cu. you get in trouble you can ride it out of harms way

now do all that and see you in 2 months when it’s all done. And you’re welcome. Enjoy enhanced gameplay 
    edited August 2021
    popps said:

disco tamer and a cu

Popps just get over yourself will you

EVERYONE else has adapted. Everyone else has crappy cu’s that they don’t use now

you want advice and then debate the s**t out if it 

I will NOT entertain this as I do not need to negotiate with you  I have 9 fully trained tamers on multiple shards that WORK 

so here is what you need to do

1. take a long look at yourself and your attitude here
    2. Actually take in what people are saying to you
    3. you are not clever enough to convince us that we are wrong
    4 get a cu. any colour it does not matter
    5 get a level 3 taming mastery
    6 train the pet
    7 go kill stuff

you have plenty of time. You waste so much of it here with your looooooooong drawn out borefest journals

if you want to get on in the game you have to adapt.  Bin the frost dragon I mean damn, really?..

if you don’t have time then just do us ALL a favour and quit   Everyone else finds the time. You cannot have it all handed to you.  

When this event is over sort your life out and prepare for the next one

and NO a thief is not the way forward in these events

and train a sampire 

and STOP wasting game time thinking up nonsense arguments to trivial problems that only you seem to have 

if you don’t have the required armour or masteries etc BUY them. After all this time your bank must be stuffed with gold 

No.

I refuse to tame new CU-Sidhes or Dragons because a change in the game overlooking the existing ones made them obsolete.

It is a matter of principle.

The Developers should have thought about it OR, when the issue came up, they should have provided to players the ability to re-use their existing, stabled CU-Sidhes or Dragons or any other pet which theets' training change made obsolete.

One of the good of the Taming gameplay, is to get somewhat "close" to one's own pet.

Those pets in the Stables, for some tamers, are not mere pixels, they old memories, hunts done together, they have names, they are, in one word, "pets".

And I see it as totally wrong a Design which, when a change is introduced, totally ignores them as if they do not exist, as if players did not spend time hunting with them, getting attached to them and all that,

Each player plays for a reason, there are also Tamers who see their pets as something "more" then mere weapons.
    And yes you will need to accept that old Pre training let’s don’t cut it.  Unless you have nightmares and pre patch pets.  And no I am not going to spoon feed u all that info for you to trivialise and bore me to death with questions 

everyone but YOU have accepted and moved on. The time to whinge about pet training is loooooong past.  It’s here. Get used to it and learn

1 disco tamer.
    2 SW tamer mage
     Create and train both of the above

REAL taming skills not jewels and a cu. you get in trouble you can ride it out of harms way

now do all that and see you in 2 months when it’s all done. And you’re welcome. Enjoy enhanced gameplay 
    That is what I happen to play, a Spellweaving Tamer Mage.

Yet, no room for Evaluate Intelligence (have Resisting Spells instead) so, I focus on keeping the pet alive, rather then cast offensive spells on the Monsters.
  • you do NOT need resisting spells the pet is your weapon, you hide behind it and heal it,  you need eval for spell power.  Your pet aggro and tanks, if something targets you you all stop, all follow me and target whats attacking you, and then you invis 
    edited August 2021
    you do NOT need resisting spells the pet is your weapon, you hide behind it and heal it,  you need eval for spell power.  Your pet aggro and tanks, if something targets you you all stop, all follow me and target whats attacking you, and then you invis 
    Yes, if I was to deal with single Targets, unfortunately, most of the times I need to deal with a "spawn" situation whereas the rest of the spawn, not to mention paragons who always re-target on the Tamers, target me.

And if I drop dead, I cannot keep my pet healed so, staying alive is rather fundamental to the gameplay, especially with tough Monsters who hit the pet hard and, thus, require me to do intensive healing, or in situations where there is extra spawn in the area about which I need to be very careful about.

I will try swapping Resisting Spells with Evaluate Intelligence and see if I feel it better.

Thanks for the advice.
    No.

I refuse to tame new CU-Sidhes or Dragons because a change in the game overlooking the existing ones made them obsolete.

It is a matter of principle.

The Developers should have thought about it OR, when the issue came up, they should have provided to players the ability to re-use their existing, stabled CU-Sidhes or Dragons or any other pet which theets'
     training change made obsolete.

This ! This so much finally explains everything to me the demands for more stable slots. for my pet just can't even ..
  • popps said:
    you do NOT need resisting spells the pet is your weapon, you hide behind it and heal it,  you need eval for spell power.  Your pet aggro and tanks, if something targets you you all stop, all follow me and target whats attacking you, and then you invis 
    Yes, if I was to deal with single Targets, unfortunately, most of the times I need to deal with a "spawn" situation whereas the rest of the spawn, not to mention paragons who always re-target on the Tamers, target me.

And if I drop dead, I cannot keep my pet healed so, staying alive is rather fundamental to the gameplay, especially with tough Monsters who hit the pet hard and, thus, require me to do intensive healing, or in situations where there is extra spawn in the area about which I need to be very careful about.

I will try swapping Resisting Spells with Evaluate Intelligence and see if I feel it better.

Thanks for the advice.
    it will only re target you if you move.  stand still cast heal on pet and let it kill it, if you are targeted by something else, Stop your pet, cast invis, as the spell I casting quickly get pet to target that mob, then you are all good,  if you have too much coming at u jump on pet and clear out and start again 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    My cu sidhe was one  of the first pets I took through the new training. I do not feel the pet is inferior to those tamed after that publish, but it did go to 3 slots when I initiated training. I think they don't do that now, so maybe I just did it at the right time?
    A frost dragon is a very nice pet - in the right circumstance. Shadow guard belfry maybe?  I have a stable full of pets that I switch out depending what I plan to fight - but have to admit I've chickened out of training my old 2 slot 315hp/518str nightmare.
    edited August 2021
    popps said:

Thanks for the advice.
    it will only re target you if you move.  stand still cast heal on pet and let it kill it, if you are targeted by something else, Stop your pet, cast invis, as the spell I casting quickly get pet to target that mob, then you are all good,  if you have too much coming at u jump on pet and clear out and start again 
    Normal monsters yes, Paragons, unfortunately, retarget for no reasons, I found out.

I mean, I ONLY and strictly stick to healing my pet, do not move 1 tile and, yet, the Paragon STILL retargets me.

It really gets annoying and frustrating.

Sometimes I find my self with this casting pattern.... greater heal (pet) . invisibility on self - greater heal (pet) . invisibility on self - greater heal (pet) . invisibility on self - greater heal (pet) . invisibility on self - greater heal (pet) . invisibility on self - greater heal (pet) . invisibility on self - 

over and over and over till I have mana or the Paragon has died....

I do not find it fun, especially, if I stay still and do not cast offensive spells on the Monsters.
    My cu sidhe was one  of the first pets I took through the new training. I do not feel the pet is inferior to those tamed after that publish, but it did go to 3 slots when I initiated training. I think they don't do that now, so maybe I just did it at the right time?
    A frost dragon is a very nice pet - in the right circumstance. Shadow guard belfry maybe?  I have a stable full of pets that I switch out depending what I plan to fight - but have to admit I've chickened out of training my old 2 slot 315hp/518str nightmare.
    Yes, for a limited time, I understand, stabled CU-Sidhes and Dragons reverted to 3 slots but, and it beats me why, this no longer is valid....

Since at the time I was not playing UO, I missed that window, entirely.

I am sure, just like me, that there is plenty Tamers returning to Ultima Online, with such pets in their Stables, who find themselves "stuck" ike I am with pets which have a history for them and, yet, which are totally useless to them now, because the Developers decided, who knows why, that the slots revert had to be time limited, and not a permanent one for old, stabled pets like I, and many other Tamers returning to UO, might have.

Sometimes, I have a hard time understanding why the Developers make certain decisions....
This discussion has been closed.