BUG with Ethereal Journey (Spellweaving spell) and some Paragons

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
The Spellweaving spell Ethereal Journey https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/spellweaving/ , is supposed to 

Effect: Monsters will ignore you.
Duration: 16-30 seconds (25 + (Skill Level Real / 240, minimum 1))(+2 per Focus level), or the caster performs a hostile action (whichever comes first)
Area of Effect: Caster only
Arcane Circle Bonus: +2 seconds duration per additional arcanist.
Allows the arcanist to wander around in an ethereal form as if under the effects of monster ignore. Effect ends after the duration expires or when the caster performs a hostile action (whichever comes first). The arcanist is still visible to other player characters and may be attacked by other player characters as normal. Cannot be used during the heat of battle; also cannot be used while in other forms, such as vampire form.

Well, with some Paragons it does not work, they attack regardless even though no hostile act against them is performed.

Please @Kyronix ,  fix it, as often it is the only way to get to one's own corpse with a paragon near by.

Thanks.

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "spawn also still auto attacks you in this form if you travel through dungeon levels/go through teleporters"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Could it be the same monsters that you were in the heat of battle with and the timer has not expired.
  • maybe the monsters have an area attack like the smoldering gargoyles for example that hits you and then makes them attack.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    maybe the monsters have an area attack like the smoldering gargoyles for example that hits you and then makes them attack.
    Only if one was to have auto-defend and, only for dexers not casters since autodefend does not make spells cast automatically, only for swinging and shooting arrows or throwing.

Which is not the case, as it is a Caster-Tamer so, the character's autodefend would not respond to an area attack like the smoldering gargoyles.

If I had to make a guess, to my opinion, it is a BUG that got introduced when they made Paragons auto-reveal characters no matter what, beyond walls and all that.

Perhaps, it also "broke" the ability of Ethereal Journey to keep characters "unseen" by Monsters.

And it should get fixed, to my opinion, because often it is the only way to get back to one's own corpse when a Paragon is nearby and does not want to leave....
    Yoshi said:
    "spawn also still auto attacks you in this form if you travel through dungeon levels/go through teleporters"
    That makes no sense, it voids the entire purpose of Ethereal Journey if that was the case.

Besides, it does not happen for non-Paragon Monsters.... 

Furthermore, I am not using to go through dungeon levels or through teleporters but it is all atthe same one level...

I look for a place to cast it (cannot cast the spell if aggroed) and then walk to the corpse.

If a Paragon is around, it still targets the Ethereal Journey character.

Which, it should not be as it totally defies the use of this spell.

I think it should be looked at and get fixed.
    Could it be the same monsters that you were in the heat of battle with and the timer has not expired.
    I doubt it, seriously.

Because many times it has happened with no other players around, and I had to walk all the way to the exit, get ressed by the turn in NPC out there, re-equip, and then walk all the way back to where the corpse is.

Plenty of time for the Monster to cool down its heat of battle towards me...

And, often, it was even different Monsters as those that killed me...

So, I do not think it has anything to do with heat of Battle but, more likely, something which was inadvertedly introduced when they did the code for having Paragons auto-reveal character "no matter what", behind walls and what not...

Somehow, it broke also Ethereal Journey working with Paragons... I suspect.
    It just happened again.

There were 2 Paragon Balrons by the Bridge at the end of the Cemetery.

I wanted to of course go past the bridge to get to the dungeon to kill stuff, and so I wanted to get past them using the Ethereal Journey spell.

I had NOT interacted with them AT ALL, previously.

I had just spotted from the distance.

Well, when I walked slowly while in the Ethereal Journey form, BOTH immediately targeted me and, of course, killed me in no time.

Luckily, I had the Undertaker's Staff, otherwise, it would have been impossible for me to get to my corpse.

@Bleak@Kyronix , please, fix this bug.

Thank you.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Are you in vamp or some other form? Has the timer expired? Are you in war mode which might be considered a hostile act 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited August 2021
    McDougle said:
    Are you in vamp or some other form? Has the timer expired? Are you in war mode which might be considered a hostile act 
    The spell description reads : 

Cannot be used during the heat of battle; also cannot be used while in other forms, such as vampire form.

So, as I understand it, the code would simply not permit one to get into Ethereal Journey form, if they were in vampire form (or if aggroed from monsters).

Anyways no, I just cast it from the human form.

And the timer has not expired, when it does, one sees it and the form reverts to whatever one was (Human, Elf or Gargoyle) from the Ethereal Journey form which is a greenish form, looking ethereal, at least in the Classic Client.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    It does the same thing at shrine battles. I quit using it a long time ago.

Undertakers staff works.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited August 2021
    " @popps , max Blackoak is correct, some creatures have an area effect of damage that is active at all times (fire deamons, burning/scoulding gargoyles, lava snake) 
    once these creatures damage you with this area effect, they will continue to aggress you evev in ethereal voyage form. You just need to keep a short distance from these creatures"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited August 2021
    Yoshi said:
    " @ popps , max Blackoak is correct, some creatures have an area effect of damage that is active at all times (fire deamons, burning/scoulding gargoyles, lava snake) 
    once these creatures damage you with this area effect, they will continue to aggress you evev in ethereal voyage form. You just need to keep a short distance from these creatures"

To my knowledge, Paragon Balrons do not have such an area effect.

And yesterday, it happened when I tried to reach my corpse near 2 Paragon Balrons and there was nothing else there but a regular Lich Lord.

Even though, the Ethereal Journey spell should bypass also area damage otherwise, I do not see what this spell would be useful for...

I mean, one needs it in dangerous situations, not when mongbats are around...

It has a downtime, has a limited (too much limited, in my opinion) duration time, and is good for nothing but quickly getting through a bad area.

At the very least, it should work in any scenario and regardless what Monsters, Paragons, Bosses, whatever where to be around....

Otherwise, if one was to only need it with weak creatures, why bother using it as @Pawain mentioned ?

@kyronix , @bleak , could you kindly please look into it and make Ethereal Journey worth its salt ?

Thanks.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    edited August 2021
    Same thing happens with Honor.  I also quit using that because you get attacked anyway.

The spell is not going to bypass area damage.  This issue in the dynamic dungeons is probably because if a creature reveals, it finds you even if you are in form.  I doubt Popps is in Fel with gargoyles.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    Pawain said:
    This issue in the dynamic dungeons is probably because if a creature reveals, it finds you even if you are in form. 
    This seems like a bug.  Both honor and ethereal voyage effectively have cooldown timers, so it shouldn't have any impact e.g. on anti-farming logic.  As @popps notes, would be good if this was fixed.

Pawain said:
    This issue in the dynamic dungeons is probably because if a creature reveals, it finds you even if you are in form. 
    This seems like a bug.  Both honor and ethereal voyage effectively have cooldown timers, so it shouldn't have any impact e.g. on anti-farming logic.  As @ popps notes, would be good if this was fixed.

Actually, if would be impossible to use the Ethereal Journey spell for farming even if there was no downtime or the spell was ever lasting, with no duration.

This, because as ita description reads, "Effect ends after the duration expires or when the caster performs a hostile action (whichever comes first). "

So, it is totally a defensive spell with ZERO offensive capabilities.

But, AT THE VERY LEAST, it should grant the total defensive ability that its Official description says it is meant to provide.... INCLUDED towards Paragon Creatures, Creatures that emit Area of Effect damage and what not.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    If these had no cooldown, you could just have one person spamming heal continuously on party members/friends, doing nothing else.

That aside, please fix the issue here, broadsword :)