Whats the deal with wrestling and magery?

I read that you have to have wrestling to hold spell books and get their bonuses?

Is that true or what?

Comments

• MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Not true - never even heard of that.
  • King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    Probably talking about the Block Chance while having a book equipped
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    I read that you have to have wrestling to hold spell books and get their bonuses?

Is that true or what?
    If you READ it then there must be a link so p[lease post the link.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    The point is to have defense if someone or something attacks you. Like having parry to block with a shield.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    edited August 2021
    Norry said:
    The point is to have defense if someone or something attacks you. Like having parry to block with a shield.
    No  The point is the OP thinks that even standing in your house that you have to have Wrest with Magery to even equip and use a spell book.  Char with NO spell casting abilities or any Wrestling can still equip a spell book.
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    I added GM wrestle to my SW/Mystic/Mage to provide a little bit of defense so I could take advantage of my equipped 50SDI spellbook and SDI25 Flame Slayer during this event. Afterwards, will soulstone and go back to Hide/Stealth.
  • Norry said:
    No  The point is the OP thinks that even standing in your house that you have to have Wrest with Magery to even equip and use a spell book.  Char with NO spell casting abilities or any Wrestling can still equip a spell book.
    Not the case.

I am a long time player returning after 8 years. Trying to figure out the current rule set.

• Bilbo said:

Is that true or what?
    The Wrestling skill allows you to equip spellbooks with useful properties or slayer spellbooks to target specific monster types. (slayer bonus is only applied to direct damage spells).

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/magery/
  • Hippo said:
    I added GM wrestle to my SW/Mystic/Mage to provide a little bit of defense so I could take advantage of my equipped 50SDI spellbook and SDI25 Flame Slayer during this event. Afterwards, will soulstone and go back to Hide/Stealth.
    Couple of questions:

1. I am under the impression that slayer spellbook and talismans do not stack for mages. Correct?
    2. How did adding GM wrestling help you in your case?

edited August 2021
      While it used to be the case that a spellbook in hand did not count for wrestling, it now does. So a mage can equip a spellbook with item properties and still use their wrestling skill.

The defense. If you have 120 wrestle, and your target has 120 wrestle, he has a 50% chance of hitting you. It provides no other bonuses except to use speacials.

If you have eval int and anat, id does the same.

(Edited do to incorrect info)
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Think it goes back to UO’s early days.  With wrestling a mage has a chance to disarm or stun an attacker, for example another player trying to kill you.  May still be useful that way.  I do mostly pvm and to be honest on my mage that has it he has never used either special move since he grandmastered it.  It might provide some passive benefit but if your planning on doing mostly pvm you might consider learning another skill like spell weaving or something else.
    Talisman slayers only work with weapons.  If your a mage get a talisman that increases spell damage.
    DeathBringer checked your link.  I have two mages one with wrestling and one without.  Both use spellbooks the same way.  Don’t think the wrestling skill makes any difference.  Not sure what writer is trying to say in that melee section.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Bilbo said:

Is that true or what?
    The Wrestling skill allows you to equip spellbooks with useful properties or slayer spellbooks to target specific monster types. (slayer bonus is only applied to direct damage spells).

https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/magery/

Next time you need to quote the entire message.

Magery and Melee

Ideally the mage should avoid his/her opponents getting close enough to melee. Anatomy, when added to evaluate intelligence, gives a mage defensive wrestling.

(Anatomy + Evaluate Intelligence + 20) / 2 = defensive wrestling (capped at 120.0)

However it does not give any offensive capability, for that you will need Wrestling skill. The Wrestling skill allows you to equip spellbooks with useful properties or slayer spellbooks to target specific monster types. (slayer bonus is only applied to direct damage spells).

Never realized that UO provides two different kinds of wrestling offensive and defensive.  Am familiar with wrestling skill and it’s special moves.  So is defensive wrestling, based on anatomy, the same just without the special moves or is it something different?  Can see the formula above but don’t know what to compare the result too.  Thanks.
    It doesnt make it easier for you to punch someone and do damage, and no special moves.

It only gives you the defense(chance to not be hit.
    Thanks.  I had always read about adding anatomy to get wrestling rather than adding the actual skill, and wondered how anatomy based wrestling differed from the actual skill or if they were the same.  Thanks for answering that.
    Not the same. Anatomy 100 and 120 eval is the same as wrestlibg 120 for defense. So it basically saves 20 points.
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    Generally I carry a -0 Mage Weapon Balakai staff  which gives me the equivalent of 120 weapon skill (I have 120 Magery) when it comes to Defense. I thought GM wrestling would allow me to use the mods on my slayer and high SDI spellbooks while still providing some Defense bonus. I play only PVM. Should I soulstone the wrestle skill and go back to using the "equip last weapon" macro and toggle between slayer book and Balakai staff?
    I don’t know if wrestling provides some sort of passive benefit like parry does.  In pvm I don’t notice any difference between the way my mage without wrestling and with wrestling play.  I get the benefits of Spellbook mods with both characters. Most monsters don’t hold weapons so the special disarm move does not work on them.  I mostly just avoid melee by either going invis. or running away.
    The mage weapon is I think the best way to go.  If you are holding a mage weapon when you lose connection your character has a good chance of surviving until you time out or regain connection if you are not in too much danger when that happens.
    if you replace wrestling with anatomy you will still have defensive wrestling and you will get more points per hit from your mage weapon.  Neither of my mages have anatomy by the way.  There are other things you can add that I think will provide better benefits.
    Don’t think the slayer mod on a mage weapon affects your direct damage spells at all but you do get the benefits from the other mods.  If I am traveling I usually hold a mage weapon that drops when I cast a spell and use the mage weapon to deal with the pests I meet along the way.

sorry about the italic but there does not appear to be any way to turn it off.

• TimTim Posts: 790
    Hummm I always thought wrestling on a mage was to reduce chance of spell disruption.
    You learn something every day.
    @Timthats because you defend and didnt get hit.
    I believe the focus mod on items helps as well.