Luck, Treasure Maps & Diminishing Returns

I guess Luck has no effect on Treasure Maps, or their loot.  Is this correct?

Also, is Luck effected by diminishing returns?  The reason I ask is because I got 2655 luck, and the loot I get ain't all that wonderful. I've noticed that as  my level of luck has gone up, the loot I get hasn't changed all that much.

Does luck effect the drop rates of treasure maps on creatures?  What is the best way to get cache maps and higher?  I don't do Miasma. The dark guardians don't drop anything higher than stash and supply.

Feedback please.

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Here's what Luck does:
    Currently many people are getting maps from paragon chests in Fire dungeon.
    Felucca and Trammel maps can be gotten from the Witch's Apprentice quest. Visit the Felucca hag for Felucca maps.
    There's also the veteran reward skull rug which gives maps.

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Do miasma hoard map in every chest and it's easy ...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited August 2021
    Mariah said:
    Here's what Luck does:
    Felucca and Trammel maps can be gotten from the Witch's Apprentice quest. Visit the Felucca hag for Felucca maps.

There is something odd which happened to me.

I killed a Paragon Lich Lord in Felucca Fire Dungeon which had a Chest on the corpse.

To my surprise, the Treasure Map inside the chest, rather then for Felucca as it should have been, since the Paragon Lich Lord was killed in Felucca Fire Dungeon, was for Trammel....

How can you explain this, what is in the code that caused this, @Kyronix ?

Also, according to https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/treasure-maps/#carry Lich Lords are supposed to carry a "Cache" Tresure Map.

And Paragon Chests, to my understanding, are supposed to carry a Map inside that is "bumped by 1 level up" as compared to what that particular Monster normally can carry.

Therefore, the Paragon Lich Lord Chest that I found on the corpse, should have had a Horde Treasure Map inside if Lich Lords (non paragon) are supposed to spawn a Cache Treasure Map.

Instead, the Map was still a Cache Tresure Map as it it had been a regular Lich Lord  giving it, and not coming from a Paragon Chest.....

What gives ?
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,973
    edited August 2021
    popps said:
    Mariah said:
    Here's what Luck does:

There is something odd which happened to me.

I killed a Paragon Lich Lord in Felucca Fire Dungeon which had a Chest on the corpse.

To my surprise, the Treasure Map inside the chest, rather then for Felucca as it should have been, since the Paragon Lich Lord was killed in Felucca Fire Dungeon, was for Trammel....

How can you explain this, what is in the code that caused this, @ Kyronix ?

Also, according to https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/treasure-maps/#carry Lich Lords are supposed to carry a "Cache" Tresure Map.

And Paragon Chests, to my understanding, are supposed to carry a Map inside that is "bumped by 1 level up" as compared to what that particular Monster normally can carry.

Therefore, the Paragon Lich Lord Chest that I found on the corpse, should have had a Horde Treasure Map inside if Lich Lords (non paragon) are supposed to spawn a Cache Treasure Map.

Instead, the Map was still a Cache Tresure Map as it it had been a regular Lich Lord  giving it, and not coming from a Paragon Chest.....

What gives ?
    Chests are random in chests.  You can get tram chests from a fel T map. And a fel map from a tram chest. You can get a fel map from a Para Balron chest in Chaos.

I think you already asked this question.

I think the only guarantee is the rug gives fel maps in fel, and maybe the hag in fel.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    From personal experience more luck generates more legendary items in cache and above treasure maps.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    popps said:

Maps found in monster chests, such as Ilshenar paragons or Miasma, are random facet.

In addition, the changing of the old map designations lead to a slight anomaly in that Lich Lords had 'cleverly drawn' maps, and their paragon chests had 'deviously drawn' maps, both of which became amalgamated into 'Cache' maps. The old to new conversion can also be seen on the linked page.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    I guess Luck has no effect on Treasure Maps, or their loot.  Is this correct?

Also, is Luck effected by diminishing returns?  The reason I ask is because I got 2655 luck, and the loot I get ain't all that wonderful. I've noticed that as  my level of luck has gone up, the loot I get hasn't changed all that much.

Does luck effect the drop rates of treasure maps on creatures?  What is the best way to get cache maps and higher?  I don't do Miasma. The dark guardians don't drop anything higher than stash and supply.

Feedback please.
    I think luck does play a part in digging up maps as per Kyronix. The luck check is actually checked upon the last dig (not actually unlocking / opening) if I recall correctly. 

In regards to diminishing returns; I wouldn't say "diminishing" is the correct word.  There is a lot of RNG involved but the way I see it is that the loot is set to X for any given map (depending on level). When you have some luck those items potentially get boosted (more properties or high intensity) by a little; but keep in mind that sometimes higher intensity things have antique or properties you don't want. When you have lots of luck those items will typically be boosted but that 10SSI ring that was initially in there might now have 100SSI + 8 mana + 3MR etc (mind you this might be something that had RNG roll the same thing with zero luck). 

The 1 thing that did kind of stop me from doing Tmaps as much though was that from my 1000+ chests dug up since the Tmap revamp; the legendary items are typically weaker than legendary items you would loot from something like Scalis / Roof / Champ etc. What I mean by this is that I could get the same exact mods on a chest item vs a looted item but the chest item property intensities are almost never maxed (or just 1 is maxed). Example: Tmap armor would have something like 8LMC / 20 LRC / 4MR (and other basic mods) vs looted armor would be 10LMC / 25 LRC / 4MR. In fact, there were several times that I would loot a Major Artifact that had better intensity than Legendary Artifact. I brought this up (as did some others) to the Devs but I think they were satisfied with the way things were done.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    It's probably all in my head but each of my characters has their own sweet spot with luck 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    McDougle said:
    It's probably all in my head but each of my characters has their own sweet spot with luck 
    LOL  I have the same problem
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    From my reading of all the articles on "Luck" it is a subtle effect and will NOT guarantee you a better item the is normally posable. It will just make the probability of getting the best posable item more likely. 

For example take a loot bag set to randomly have 5 to 10 items. Luck will not let you get 11 items but it will make it more likely to have 10. Rolling 8 to 10 instead?? The same applies to the item intensity.

If all the articles I have read are correct and it feel like it is from my experience.
    Think of a lottery with 1 prize. 
    "Luck" will not guarantee winning the lottery or make the prize bigger.
    High "luck" is like buying more tickets.
  • HippoHippo Posts: 267
    Pawain said:
    I didn't know rug location influenced tmap locations. Since Fel maps are worth more than Tram ones, i would behoove me to move my two rugs to my Fel castle.  Thanks for the info!

I think the only guarantee is the rug gives fel maps in fel, and maybe the hag in fel.

• TimTim Posts: 790
    Hint: When doing the "Hag's" quest the map will be of the shard where you accept the reward not were all the "work" was done.