Yukio's Earrings - Quest is gone!

124»

Comments

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    "ask your partner to check the windows hosts file, that uo.com is not listed in there for some reason"
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Thanks for your tips.

@Yoshi @Pawain ;   
    Windows Host Files... if you cluck together with such an admin for a long time, you hear a lot of things, but this is the first time I heard this. Since my middle name is "curious", I had to google it first. There is really only something for IT-ler. I've suggested my life partner, at the moment he does not come there. And as I said - he checked it for a long time and found nothing that inhibits the process. He says that if something was blocked, then the patcher wouldn't work either, but the thing is doing its job.

But after I talked to two of my guild mates yesterday, one of whom also has this white screen and everything is "fine" with the other, I now have the following suspicion:

My client came from ML-Dowload - and that was a long time ago. The client was installed with the purchase of a new PC, and since then it runs on my now quite old box here - without major problems.  

Probably the problem is in these old client files, which cause this "white screen". As I said before, if only a reinstallation with the current client from the UO.com download page can help, I'll do that in due time, when I have the freer head for it and the game here doesn't keep me from any *cough* strangely planned events again.

If everything is going well, why would anyone want to do any reinstallations on a whim? :)

So again - thanks for your tips!  

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 245
    edited August 2021
    Aayla said:
    This is amazing how this is lead. If there's a lead lol Other games, FREE games, would have compensate us in HOURS after the mistake was made. We PAY for this game and they treat us like ... (I won't say anything else or Mariah's hammer of justice will strike me)

I don't, I really don't understand how this company is managed. We can't be heard anywhere. When there's a M&G it's cancelled 1 out of 2 and answer is basically "No" "Thank you for your comment (but I don't care)" "Send me an email)" When it's on the forums, besides Kryonix, who answers once or twice per month, no one else is trying to calm us or even participate in the community. 

If this was my business, I would be very worried. But maybe UO's Goddess Mesana is just fine cashing her paycheck and laugh at us.

I had cancelled my accounts but a guild member asked me to comeback and THIS is why I cancelled at first.

POOR managing, POOR communication, POOR ... I'll stop there.

So, that this is my thread, I go times on some points here separately.

This reaction from Ayla is typical and also quite understandable.

To understand what's really going on, you still have to be a psychologist, an economist and a labor lawyer. There are far too many complex processes that we often don't need to understand either. That's up to the experts listed above.

Over in the other forum, some are always very quick to jump in when it comes to such topics. A wolf starts to howl that the work here was once again only sh... and poor, and the whole other pack then pulls with - and then pulls others with, who probably have not even thought about what it is about and what they actually parrot there. We in this forum are, of course, the "pompom" users who approve of everything. That's the way to get dictators in power! We've probably all fallen into that trap at one time or another. I'm not excluding myself - it's happened to me too. Shitstorm is what you call it, or bullying...But that makes it too easy.

I don't want to defend this team now, because I often don't know how to judge these people. I would have to know everyone from the team personally. We will probably never meet in person in life, just virtually ... and in the virtual world I can hide my personality very well in a fantasy role and world and give it up.
    But the fact remains that the way in which I am treated as a customer here often enough annoys me immensely, and that leads all too quickly to a pathetic overall picture. Nevertheless, I always try to put myself in their shoes. Behind the stage of this team of only 6 people, I think there will be a lot of things going on that are not quite to our liking, but maybe the devs don't like it either when a top boss spits in their soup. Do you know? I do not know that.

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 245
    edited August 2021
    KHAN said:
    These are the kinds of mismanagement, disrespect to customers, and lack of support, that people lose their jobs over! Just saying.

Disclaimer: I am neither advocating for, or suggesting this course of action. I am merely making an observation! :)
    Mismanagement is the functional or ethical neglect of duties due to ignorance, negligence, incompetence, avoidance or criminal action on the part of the management of a company.

I quote here a text from the Spiegel, a German professional journal:
    https://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/missmanagement-die-minusmacher-a-152568.html

"At the University of Kiel, the most common causes of mismanagement were researched. Result: overhasty expansion, wrong product policy, outdated technologies and encrusted structures led to existence-threatening crises of the companies. The crashes were often facilitated by patriarchs who were high-handed and incapable of criticism. Many companies never recovered from the misjudgments of their leaders, went under or were broken up. While many employees lost their jobs, the responsible top managers rarely went home empty-handed. Their departure was sweetened with high severance payments. In those cases where the affected corporations survived, the consequences of poor work were felt for years to come."

The world is full of such stories about mismanagement. The really big stories about it eventually find their way into the general public as a scandal, and the really small ones stay at home in their own four walls (even a private person or a family is a company and has to act economically.

What is described above is something I had to experience myself when I was still working. I was an operational buyer in a large German communications company. After 27 years of loyal service, you are then forced to leave "through the rose" by your HR department without a certificate of any appreciation. In the meantime, due to illness and disability, I am on the dole, and I am now much better off without these dimwits. At the end of a long professional life, I myself experienced that we had to take care of the whole of Germany in a team of only 8 people, and Germany itself is really not a small country. In view of my own personal experiences, I think I have a vague idea of what this team of 6 has to accomplish here - worldwide! Consider yourself lucky if you don't experience such professional standards and never have to. The work makes you meanwhile dopier than you already are. And that's only because some very resourceful (windy) "entrepreneurs" - no matter where in the world - have a few bright ideas that quickly lead to success and lots of money and less to quality and well-being and whose models are also adopted by society - mostly without giving it much thought - at breakneck speed. How fatal this can be is often only noticed when the child has already fallen into the well.

This incident will certainly not remain without consequences. Which kind that is now, everyone must make out with itself. I only hope that some people here have learned their lessons from this incident and will do better in the future. Better use of the communication possibilities between the team here and the community would at least be a start.

Thank you for your attention!

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    @Mene_Drachenfels ; The age of install may have something to do with it.  a while ago when I would click the help button it would open internet explorer.  That only changed recently.  

You would have to compare many possibilities with players that see the white box and ones that get the link.  Problems that are not global are hard to fix.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.

• let's leave the "White Screen" problem now - the game is running and will be patched, and that's the main thing. When I have more time sometime, I'll look at it again :)