Yukio's Earrings - Quest is gone!

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Might be difficult for them to fix the quest log since it is not broken on all players.

The 2 guys I have have no issues with the logs.  I use nothing but CC.  Maybe this issue is from add on programs.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    Pawain said:
    Might be difficult for them to fix the quest log since it is not broken on all players.

The 2 guys I have have no issues with the logs.  I use nothing but CC.  Maybe this issue is from add on programs.
    I don't use any other programs.
    I only use Pinco's UI.
    I don't use anything with CC
    edited July 2021
    Pawain said:

I only use Pinco's UI.
    Then they have to fix something that is not broken for everyone.  BTW  Pincos is another program.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    To the programmers.  Isn’t it about time for a definitive answer or at least a heads up as to what’s going on?  If you don’t know what’s happening just say you don’t know and that you are working on it.  The players are frustrated, Mariah has told us all she can, now it’s your turn.  Thanks.
    edited July 2021
    Arnold7 said:
    To the programmers.  Isn’t it about time for a definitive answer or at least a heads up as to what’s going on?  If you don’t know what’s happening just say you don’t know and that you are working on it.  The players are frustrated, Mariah has told us all she can, now it’s your turn.  Thanks.
    They told us what is going on.  They turned off the quest and cleaned up the deco.

https://uo.com/2021/07/30/global-events-update/
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    Pawain said:
    Pawain said:

I only use Pinco's UI.
    Then they have to fix something that is not broken for everyone.  BTW  Pincos is another program.
    I was told at a meet and greet that Pinco's is a UI.
    user interface doesn't need approval, like 3rd party apps do.
    But we are still waiting for a list of approved apps, and until then I won't use other apps.

I'm wondering if they stopped deleting the quest givers, when they realized that it was causing quest logs to be glitched. Some shards still have the quest giver and they aren't bugged there.
  • VecnaVecna Posts: 23
    @Pawain There is no 3rd party program involved. No Pincos, No UO Assist, No Razer/steam/whatever. It is JUST Classic Client, fully patched. My affected toons get the "Confirm login to [shard name])" then "Welcome to Ultima Online" then the client crashes hardcore.The last thing I did on one toon was yesterday before the server update (and Yukio changes). That toon was sitting hidden in Fel Fire for when a paragon overwhelmed a dexxer, I'd bring the toon up, use pet to kill para, go back downstairs and hide. That's it. The other toon has only been sitting in a house on Siege to check Vendor search. @Kyronix I don't know why someof my toons are having the same problem as others and their Quest button no longer works, but other toons cause a client crash on login. But it is happening, despite what Pawain says.
  • MrNiceMrNice Posts: 29
    edited July 2021
    I never understood why a development team would make changes on a Friday, if they didn't plan to be active in addressing the issues that may or may not come up from such change. 

They'll get to you all on Monday.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    At a previous employer we had to implement a no deploying to a production server on a Friday rule after the overseas developers deployed a major change to the production server right before leaving work one Friday evening.  The company lost several million in revenue over that weekend.
    edited August 2021
    Vecna said:
    @ Pawain There is no 3rd party program involved. No Pincos, No UO Assist, No Razer/steam/whatever. It is JUST Classic Client, fully patched. My affected toons get the "Confirm login to [shard name])" then "Welcome to Ultima Online" then the client crashes hardcore.The last thing I did on one toon was yesterday before the server update (and Yukio changes). That toon was sitting hidden in Fel Fire for when a paragon overwhelmed a dexxer, I'd bring the toon up, use pet to kill para, go back downstairs and hide. That's it. The other toon has only been sitting in a house on Siege to check Vendor search. @ Kyronix I don't know why someof my toons are having the same problem as others and their Quest button no longer works, but other toons cause a client crash on login. But it is happening, despite what Pawain says.
    It is happening on some shards.  So if enough details are given in the bugs section, they may be able to fix the issue quickly. Give more info in the bugs section about which shards are affected.  Yukio is gone on LS. So that is not the only qualifier.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “‘No deploy Friday’ is an industry standard”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I had a vague idea, not sure whether anyone would want to try it. I don't have the problem myself. Would taking a new quest from Heartwood make any difference to the quest log problem?

• ParnocParnoc Posts: 236
    Fix this for cryin' out loud!!!!!   These quests are about the only thing that is keeping a LOT of the player base, don't mess it up.    I praised Kyronix on the events, now I'm ready to grab him by the throat. Joking, Kyronix,  but it is serious to us, don't just sweep this problem under the carpet, it's alot more important than you know to most of us!!!!!

• DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    That quest hated me, the RNG luck I had was so bad that when I did FINALLY get a pair of the earrings I quit doing the quest.  The Drop rate for those earrings was so bad for so many but so good for others that were able to get the drop on the earrings back to back.  I hope they bring them back again someday, that and the first aid belt were by far the best of all possible rewards in this game.
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • KazKaz Posts: 123
    Post was made on the 30th, not even 48 hours notice. To boot its caused bugs with some players being locked out of characters. 

Putting player issues aside:
    Look at all the confusion and drama that this has caused.   The amount of work that this will lead to for the dev team in responding to posts, dealing with tickets and issues is significant.  Most of which could be circumvented with proper communications early on.  For a small dev team, that little effort early on in the form of communications would result in greater bandwidth downstream.  Im surprised this isnt a priority when their time is limited.  

“Hey guys, just fyi in 2 weeks on aug 1st we are turning off yukios quest, finish up your runs and be aware”. Done. 
  • MrNiceMrNice Posts: 29
    edited August 2021
    As someone who also works in software engineering and development - see what this team does in regards to communication? IE - none.

Don't do it. It's very unprofessional and is noted by others, especially those in the industry. This is a common trend here with this "dev" team. You don't have 2 minutes to make a post here? Letting people know atleast a few days ahead of time that something has changed? Get over yourselves.

They also only made the post on the 30th once people started noticing and complaining, this was after they absolutely told people it was lasting till Fall. Shoddy craftsmanship here.

There are other "shards" with way more professionalism. This current team reminds me of a free shard run by teenagers. 
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    edited August 2021
    These are the kinds of mismanagement, disrespect to customers, and lack of support, that people lose their jobs over! Just saying.

Disclaimer: I am neither advocating for, or suggesting this course of action. I am merely making an observation! :)
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • VynVyn Posts: 4
    I don't see how them saying that they're "in the process of cleaning up" the quest is definitive. That's the same thing as saying "We're going to do something, but you won't know when". I absolutely hate how UO never gave a definite start or end date to anything due to the Role Playing aspect. You can give real information and keep the role playing separate to inside the game.

Every single game I've ever played has always given start and end dates and actual information. UO has been the only game I've ever played that tries to keep players in the dark. I use to love playing my tamer and t-hunter on UO so I returned recently, but now I'm 100% regretting it all because UO doesn't give details :s If I'm regretting it, how is zero information going to be inviting to any new player. To get basic information you have to become a researcher, that's not going to be inviting to a new player. Without the random new player dropping in, there's going to be no UO because the current player base that's paying to keep UO going isn't going to live forever.

UO needs to start giving actual quality information. Basic information used to work because gaming like this was new at the time, but now they need to make an actual effort to change with the times. I'm sure they think that changing with the times means they have to lose who they are, but it doesn't, just give actual quality information so new or returning players aren't having to go to fansites for the real information. It's taking the long way around that just adds to frustration leading to loss of loyalty when it could've all been avoided by quality information in the first place. I wish UO would step outside of itself and view things from a new players perspective to understand how disorganized it looks. Aside from nostalgia no one's going to want to deal with lack of quality.
    Vyn said:

Every single game I've ever played has always given start and end dates and actual information. UO has been the only game I've ever played that tries to keep players in the dark. I use to love playing my tamer and t-hunter on UO so I returned recently, but now I'm 100% regretting it all because UO doesn't give details :s If I'm regretting it, how is zero information going to be inviting to any new player. To get basic information you have to become a researcher, that's not going to be inviting to a new player. Without the random new player dropping in, there's going to be no UO because the current player base that's paying to keep UO going isn't going to live forever.

The problem is, those of us that pay attention to everything the devs say or write, tell others when things are going to start and end.  And then the devs pull something like this.  Telling us the events will last until the Fall events and ending 2/3 of them without notice, months before Fall.
    Hey folks, Khyro suggested nuking the entire folder for each affected player in your Docs/EA games folder. This worked for me. I had tried nuking a few files but not the whole folder. I can now log into the characters that had been crashing the client immediately on connection again. Quest button works, though all my quests are gone.
    To clarify, for each affected CHARACTER. Sorry, I mis-typed.
  • Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 245
    edited August 2021
    If that's the case .... would someone kindly agree to make a short step-by-step guide with pictures for the non-IT people here? I don't want to bug myself even more ;)

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• Vecna said:
    Hey folks, Khyro suggested nuking the entire folder for each affected player in your Docs/EA games folder. This worked for me. I had tried nuking a few files but not the whole folder. I can now log into the characters that had been crashing the client immediately on connection again. Quest button works, though all my quests are gone.

So oki - I tried to figure this out after a short nap.... It does not work to me ! My Questlog is still broken!

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• AaylaAayla Posts: 170
    So does that mean Treasures of Wildfire could come to an end BEFORE Sept 1??
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Probably hasn’t been a response since it was the weekend. I’d imagine and hope they would say something today. 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Vecna said:

So oki - I tried to figure this out after a short nap.... It does not work to me ! My Questlog is still broken!
    Rename the Char Folder that is crashing you.
  • Bilbo said:
    Vecna said:

Whether I rename the folder from Mene'Tekel to Mene or not - if the dog is buried in the detail, it cannot solve the problem. I did this but the button is still broken - so some more clever advices :)?

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Bilbo said:
    Vecna said:

Whether I rename the folder from Mene'Tekel to Mene or not - if the dog is buried in the detail, it cannot solve the problem. I did this but the button is still broken - so some more clever advices :)?

Who pissed in your wheats, just passed on what others said that worked for them, don't have a nice day.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Since quest progress / status is stored on the server renaming the local folder might not work.  Try to do a full file check.
  • King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    What a joke