Yukio's Earrings - Quest is gone!

Yukio's Earrings - Quest is gone!

This morning I wanted to finish the last part of the quest I started yesterday - I still had 30 Yomutso Warriors to beat. It was sometime in the middle of the night here in Germany - about 2:30 a.m. and I noticed that my eyes were closing more and more, so I stopped and resumed the quest after a good night's sleep.

When I logged in, I noticed that the counter was still counting, but no longer gave a message that the quest had been completed. When I click on my quest button in the avatar Gump, it can no longer be opened, although there is another quest series that has not yet been completed.

So.... big question @Kyronix: Wasn't it said that this quest remains until the end of the Treasures of Wildfire event? Or am I mistaken, and it was simply said that it would be extended without naming a specific end date for it? I think I read something, but I can't find it in the forum.

@Kyronix: please make a clear announcement here, thank you!

@Kyronix @Bleak: Since my quest button is no longer working due to these facts, so to speak, which is very annoying, I would like to have it fixed again. Who would be so kind, please?
Char is MeneTekel, Drachenfels

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

Comments

• poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    I seem to remember that it was mentioned that it would have been up until September...

So, to see it gone so early, seems odd to me.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I heard from another player that the drop rate has been drastically reduced. Its no longer the same as when it started. This was why I also stopped doing since last month. 

I don't see any harm keeping till end Sep and the same drop rate. This item is unique but it doesn't make any player "OP", and there are even more powerful items in the game that are always available. Sigh. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • @Seth

This thread wants something completely different - something was promised and not kept. Or to get even more blatant - they're ripping something out from under you again without any concrete info and bending it too!

And yes I am a bit pissed off about it.... This quest button is important - in the future there will probably be some more quest series like this, and then I won't even be allowed to follow them, just because this button is bugged??? Thes are not the shoes i like to walk inside! 
    ---------------------------

The item drop rate again - of course - the famous RNG;). I really wouldn't have thought of that now *sigh*.

But the idea that you can use such a long quest line for other reasons than just digging up a supposedly badly designed artefact doesn't seem to occur to anyone but me?
    For Tamer it was exactly this long series of quests to train new tamed animals. Other characters were also able to make good use of it for skilling. I haven't counted these quests because I personally find it really silly how some here brag about their luck in getting the main item, but I think it was about 30 times before the earrings popped into my bag.   

And if you plan quest series from the outset with RNG factors like here - where you could get a whole but actually also for decorators and interior designers nice items - I personally find this glass blowing tool really cute and the abacus, is but from the outset again clear that some here again immediately kisses the RL luck - less their item luck, while others here again dutifully pull the ass cards ;). RNG is and remains a stupid decision, there is nothing more to say about it. Sure, you're happy when the things finally drop, but by God - I really didn't sign up for that.

Seriously ... how many really good earrings are there for the slot? As far as I know, you can only find that in the game for Gargoyles, but not for Humans and Elves. That was exactly the point why so many were after these things.
    The next point is that the time limits for these things are getting really stupid. We all know that such items are always planned for equipment or that it is pointed out that such an item exists. But to the luck of a then perfect armour prevents us then again the luck that a super rare item, which will be very difficult to find after this event and maybe once with a lot of RL luck and not 4000 k Armor luck for 175 million on ATL come offered.

In any case, I found this quest series quite nice, for me it was useful and I would also like it to be integrated permanently. If gods know mercy here, they should also show it ;):

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    edited July 2021
    I'm not sure this is intended. I have just checked, my character that took the quest still has it, and the npcs are still there on Origin.
    You mentioned the avatar gump - those quests are the older style. The Yukio quest log is checked through the paperdoll in CC or the quest icon in the default hotbar in EC.
  • I play CC. As you can see no NPC's and no reaction as decribed from the Quest-Button.

I believe this is not as intended, I've checked 2 other shards, including Europa, which is normally updated at the same time as Drachenfels.  It is currently 7.47am in Virginia, USA. so it will be a little while before anyone can confirm my belief.
  • Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 245
    edited July 2021
    I did a restart even - same result. I even see no NPC on ATL. Now I fairly have to say that my PC (runs on the latest version of Microsoft Windows) said again today that I had turned it off too early.

When I started it this morning, there was a long error check that hung up. I then had to stop and restart the PC. This procedure has never had any effect on the game here so far.

So edit:
    checking results :
    Checked DF & ATL - No NPC
    Checked DF with other Account - No NPC
    Checked Great Lakes, Cheaspeake, Legends - NPC are there

Its not your computer. I confirm that the npcs are missing on Atlantic and Drachenfels
  • If it's not my PC, I'm already reassured *wipe sweat from forehead*.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    If it's not my PC, I'm already reassured *wipe sweat from forehead*.

https://uo.com/2021/07/30/global-events-update/
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    edited July 2021
    Global Events Update – Ultima Online (uo.com)

apparently it was intended.
    already ended on Sonoma too

I wish they had given us 24 hr notice before taking it away
    or an exact date of it ending...

they could have left the NPC up, but give no option to repeat the quest.
    so we could have finished the one we had.
  • NorryNorry Posts: 515
    Uo.com wont even load for me, why not give a heads up in advance on the forum, the official place to communicate?
  • I wish we’d get some permanent content instead of limited time quests/items. It just leads to moving from grind to grind. 

Maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll add some of these limited time items to Blackthorns. 
  • King_GregKing_Greg Posts: 248
    *Facepalm* 
  • Mene_DrachenfelsMene_Drachenfels Posts: 245
    edited July 2021
    That doesn't change the fact that my quest button is still broken, will probably remain so if it's not fixed soon, and I'm pretty pissed off about it.

@Bleak... is there a quick bugfix? I would like to continue using this button in the future. A short info would be nice, thanks.

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    the quest log isn't working in either client
    CC or EC

the website is back up though
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    I don't feel we ask for a lot when we ask for basic communication. Particularly when it involves end dates for events. This has been an ongoing criticism for years. Events just end with no warning.

Players like to plan what they do, especially when there is a lot going on in game and in life.

Events need hard end dates when announced. Plain and simple. It should never be a case of "well let's see how it goes and we will adjust the duration from there". Because ultimately the event will just disappear with no warning.

"Roughly 30 days" is not good enough either. Is that 30 days from the time the event started, 30 days at server down, etc. Knowing when an event ends should not be a guessing game.

You can also extend event durations if necessary, no one will complain if you say "Due to the popularity of X event, we are extending it by 2 weeks and it will now end on X date" (well some may complain, but that's UO players for you).

I can tell you though that announcing an end date and extending events due to popularity would go over a whole lot better than just up and deciding the event should be over with no warning.

Now let's talk about keeping true to your word and past statements. I direct you to the recent Baja M&G transcript:

https://stratics.com/uo/2021/04/28/developer-meet-and-greet-baja-april-27th-2021/

The snippet in particular I will reference:

[Frank Castle]: I have a question about Soulless Seduction. On the forums you said the quest would be available for the duration of the event
    [Frank Castle]: Do you have any hard dates on when you plan to turn that off?
    [Kyronix ]: Probably sometime in the Fall when we move to our next event cycle
    [Kyronix ]: But not hard dates right now
    [Kyronix ]: So all I can say is play away
    [Kyronix ]: grins
    [Frank Castle]: Ok, so at least not going away when The Alchemist’s Abomination comes out
    [Frank Castle]: Wasn’t sure just how fast I needed to grind that quest!
    [Kyronix ]: No, definitely not
    [Kyronix ]: When I mentioned event cycle
    [Kyronix ]: I meant everything through to Treasures of Wildfire
    [Kyronix ]: The events we teased out in teh Newsletter a few months back
    [Frank Castle]: Ok, thank you for clarifying

So it was stated at a M&G that the event would last the duration of this event cycle, through Treasure of Wildfire, and end sometime in the Fall. If you want to get pedantic, Fall officially begins the end of September.

Sure, things change, schedules change, plans change. The point is you stated through the end of ToWildfire and most likely sometime in the Fall. That's what people were expecting as it was communicated to us.

It's not hard to come out and say:

"Hello everyone. We know we originally had mentioned the Soulless Seduction event and the Yukio quest line would last through Fall, but due to changing circumstances on our end, we now plan to end the event early. The quest giver and quest will be unavailable [1-3] Weeks from now. Please make sure you complete any quests you've been waiting to do before it's too late!"

This is good PR, good communication, informs the players what is going on, and gives people time to prepare. Not a post thrown up on the newsfeed as you are actively taking down the content (not to mention the stability of uo.com lately and people were unable to even see the post).

I realize you are a small team, but proper communication to your player base will go such a long way. 
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

edited July 2021
    @ Seth

This thread wants something completely different - something was promised and not kept. 

Yup, I understand what you mean.

1) As you and everyone here now is saying, they didn't stick to their plans and just switched off events at their whim and fancy for no logical reasons.

2) The other point I wanted to make is I noticed they seem to Up the drop rate initially and then slowly turn it down some time later. This seemed to happen during TO Tokuno also. It is unfair to latecomers. 

I hate to say this, but the reason why I played UO is long term and persistent things that last. It seems now it's time to try other games since everything is short termed or with limited life, duration.

We are only left with classic events and old items that are always avail able - for nostalgia. The way ahead it's time to try something else new  because every other game is an event of their own. Time to try others "event".

Not saying I am going to quit, since there is still the classic, persistent dungeons, items and events. But moving ahead it's not what I wanted for UO since day 1. Will wind down.

Thanks for the ride for 20 over years.
    edited July 2021
    And to add... they are contradicting themselves. On one hand worried about bloated prices, on the other hand limiting supplies or only to those super active grinders who can 24/7 grind anytime. This is a vicious cycle. 
    @Kyronix ; It is not Fall.  Turn it back on.
  • AaylaAayla Posts: 170
    Pawain said:
    @ Kyronix  It is not Fall.  Turn it back on.

Please?
  • LilyGraceLilyGrace Posts: 728
    Yeah, this was a bummer and a waste of time for me today. I was out of the loop for all of 2020. And of course I expect I'm going to miss out on things when I don't play for a year. But I'd just heard about the Soulless Seduction quest and was stoked to take a break from Fire dungeon and give it a try.

I was able to kick off the quest, talking to the npcs in Ter Mur. Although all the decor, which I heard was lovely, was gone. I was able to talk to Zeamina at Buc's bath house and returned to her after buying Hook's map. I got the Artifact Hunter action figure. And that's where it all went south. 

I realized the quest chain was broken after sailing to the island to meet Zeamina again but the clicky (I was told in gen chat there should be a clicky) to get the trinkets was gone and Arturio was not to be found at the Moonglow's provisioner shop.

I was told I could still do the earrings quest but expect to do it as many as 30 times and still not get the earrings drop. That's fine. I took the quest and was prepared to keep taking it over and over again.

Now I come to the boards to find the Yukio's Earrings quest was supposed to stay until autumn but is being taken down early. And that's confirmed in a global events message that wasn't there when I booted up the game today before I kicked off this whole quest mess. So I wasted my play time totally today.

Again, I do understand if I'm gone from the game for so long I'm gonna miss out on events. But I wish you didn't leave a quest chain like this in such a broken state. It's confusing to a returning player to be able to start off a quest but not complete it because pieces are missing. You're left wondering if you're doing something wrong. You're struggling to get answers in gen chat but people aren't sure. And why would they be? It's a confusing mess. 

Shut it down or don't shut it down. But don't just break it and leave players in the dark scratching their heads wondering what they're doing wrong. Or is it only broken on their shard? And if it's broken will it be fixed? That ain't right. It's very frustrating.

I don't pretend to know if there's something that makes it necessary for you to shut down the Yukio's Earrings quest sooner than you said you would. But I do know it shouldn't have taken this thread to spur on some activity on the dev's part to offer clarity on all of this. 

Thanks for listening.

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Dang It. It is going to be too hot this weekend to work outside so I was planning on doing a few rounds of Yukio.
  • BodyHighBodyHigh Posts: 1
    Yeah, me too.  And the quest journal on my main char is now broken.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    And being it happened on a Friday afternoon, quest logs probably won't even be  looked at til Monday.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    edited July 2021
    Hmmm, maybe they fixed the problem. I logged into my toon that had quest active and about halfway completed. I open quest log and resigned it with no problems. I use CC on Chessy.

(Edited to add - maybe they turned it back on? Yukkio was still there and offered the quest. I didn't take it but it was offered.)
    No Yukio on LS.  My log works fine on 2 accounts.
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Ya, I just decided to log in to UO. I checked on a character who had the quest. I couldn't open the quest log. I wa able to open the quest log on the same account on a different character who DIDN'T have the quest. FYI, no Yukio on Sonoma. @Kyronix can we get this fixed, one way or the other. If you aren't going to bring it back for the time frame we were told, at least get the quest gumps fixed!
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    The investigator is up and giving the quest on Pacific.
  • VecnaVecna Posts: 23
    Yeah I still cannot log into two toons using Classic Client (which is only one I use), one on LA and one on Siege. I have tried going into EC and taking off all items and stabling pets then re-logging in CC, it crashes immediately after the dialogue that says I successfully joined Lake Austin pops up. In EC I deleted all active quests on the character, didn't help. I was using the toon yesterday before server up on LA with no issues. I can log into Lake Austin on my another of my characters on that account who I didn't use for Yukio. Very very frustrated. @Kyronix