2 vendor 'scams'

YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
edited July 2021 in Bugs
"I was contacted to investigate an alleged vendor scam after receiving complaints from some players, and have found 2 instances where the poor user interface has facilitated the apparent scam. 

While in both cases the 'scam' (or genuine mistake from the vendor) can be avoided by users taking more care, here is how the User Interface requires improvement.

Trick 1, vendor puts a load of items for sale for example 10'000'000, purchaser is buying many items at said price. And is presented with a confirmation gump to confirm the price.

issue: vendor amount on confirmation dialogue is missing comma separation, this example actually displays 100'000'000 however is difficult to tell without the comma separation. 
expected result: for figure to display comma separations. 

Trick 2: this affects only classic client users or those using the classic style backpack on EC.
Vendor places an item EG a clothing bless deed on a vendor for 825k, purchaser does a vendor search and uses the map to vendor to 'open container containing' then is presented with a vendor pack seemingly containing one and only one deed, purchaser clicks on deed to buy (may not think to check the deed as believed they were presented with only one deed)

The purchaser checks thoroughly the amount after manually counting the 0s. However has not purchased a clothing bless deed. The vendor has stacked directly ontop of the deed a different (less valuable) deed for the same amount of gold. The description given in the confirmation gump is the manual description the vendor has attributed to this item, what is for sale in this example is actually a mannequin deed. 

Expected result: for confirmation gump to display item name, not player given description"

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.

Comments

• Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,212
    Yoshi said:
    "I was contacted to investigate an alleged vendor scam after receiving complaints from some players, and have found 2 instances where the poor user interface has facilitated the apparent scam. 
    LOL  We now have a UO Police Department with investigators.  You going to arrest them or what.

When you mouse over an item it shows you the price with the commas so it is the operator not paying attention to what they are doing.  I find it amazing that yes a 0 may get added and people automatically yell scam and take no responsibility for their own actions and blame others for their own mistakes.  Do you call it a scam if the person leaves off a ), no you buy it and say look at the good deal I just got, sounds a little two faced to me.  The user interface is fine as long as you pay attention to what you are doing.

Scamming if I am not mistaken still legal in UO as long as you do not use any illegal ways to do it, UO has always been a buyer beware.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Someone would count the number of 0 but not quickly mouse over item and make sure deed is correct deed? Not a scam - they just need to slow down a second and verify.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited July 2021
    I recalled there was already post(s) somewhere asking to add commas. 

I don't think its going to happen, too many things on their plate, it seems. 

Edit: I think I have faint memory that someone said it cannot be done... 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    “What you’re recalling is, there used to be no commas on one side of the trade window, and Mesanna infamously said it couldn’t be fixed which caused a large amount of mocking and embarrassment, the issue was then fixed”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited May 2023
    “Innocent purchaser re-imbursed with a animal taming III mastery scroll on Atlantic after falling victim to trick 2”
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Yes, you have to read the EC descriptions UO provides on vendor search very carefully.  Don’t think they can be changed by the user but you can be mislead if you are not careful.  Shard shields on my shard go for 26 million and there have always been plenty of them for sale at that price for at least the last 3 years, but you won’t go anywhere with them.You can also great deals on what you think is 255 durability equipment only to discover it is 55 durability after you buy it.  And, yes, mixing in the higher item cost with lower priced ones can bring about an unpleasant surprise if you are clicking faster than your eyes can check the prices.  I especially like vendor runes I see for sale for over 100,000 gold that merely take you to the vendor’s location.  Yes, it’s buyer beware with some but not too many vendors.  Remember when you see great deals on eggs you are looking only for the ones that have the word counterfeit spelled in red letters.
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 784
    It would be good if the vendor map had a new right click option - to buy the item associated with the map.

Having to hunt for the item after the container opens is a time waster, and is error prone too.
    edited May 2023
    "yes,if you're using the broadsword classic client, there is no option for backpack grid view, so if an item is buried you literally have to log in to another client to buy it"
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    People refusing to read what they're buying is a valid form of income. Working as intended. At the end of the day the user is responsible for ensuring that what they are buying is actually what they intended to buy.
    edited June 2023
    " Misk, I was waiting to see if you could figure yourself but to no avail as i just logged into EC default ui and found this was not fixed still.

you can copy this into default ui by pressing ctrl + c
    and paste using ctrl + v

hope this helps"

• Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    EC users can easily navigate vendor backpacks because everything is in a grid.  Nothing is plied on top of anything else.  CC users trying to navigate the same backpack just see a jumbled mess and if something big is at the top can’t see what is underneath.  Really, should not be that much of a difference between the two clients.  But that is the way it is. Too much of that kind of stuff in this game.