I feel like im being held hostage.

2»

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Ok I'll bite since this seems open to discussion @popps do you know what happens to an abandoned bank account in real life? Yet ultima keeps your stuff forever how is this unfair? 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    McDougle said:
    Ok I'll bite since this seems open to discussion @ popps do you know what happens to an abandoned bank account in real life? Yet ultima keeps your stuff forever how is this unfair? 
    How would, keeping a File that was to list a player's items left in the game when they quit (so as to make their recreation possible, in case a player was to come back), "so much" trouble for Ultima Online ?

It is only a file of a few bites AND, what is most important, it could be seen by Ultima Online as an "investment" towards increasing the chances to see that player coming back, eventually...

Not to mention that, to my understanding, Ultima Online ALREADY keeps Back-Ups which they use when they need to revert the Status of a given server....

And, it would not be"Indefinitely", at least, unless one assumes that Ultima Online was to keep being a playable game forever, until the end ot times which, while possible, I hardly imagine it to be likely....

That is, whenever a decision will be made to shut down the Ultima Online Servers, whatever the reasons will be, all of these files would no longer need to be stored, obviously.....

You already keep everything in your bank popps what else do you want? they should use server space to hold your house and everything in it? On the chance you might return? I know to reward your nonpayment while you quit they can evict that paying customer and restore your home..
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,934
    edited July 2021
    McDougle said:
    You already keep everything in your bank popps what else do you want? they should use server space to hold your house and everything in it? On the chance you might return? I know to reward your nonpayment while you quit they can evict that paying customer and restore your home..
    What server space are you talking about ?

A few bytes that a FILE listing the items (not the actual art of each and evey item) would take ?

Say that a player had a Hat of the Magi, it would not be necessary to actually store that Hat of the Magi but, rather, only the listing of it on a file....

Then, should the player come back to UO, one day, hopefully, the game would "read" that file and create a brand new Hat of the Magi to replace the one that the player had...

And the same, for any and all items that the player had in his/her UO House... as soon as the items listed in the FIle were to be recreated, the File would get deleted since the player is back in UO and got back his/her items left when he/she quit, time back.

Such a file, I imagine, would only take a few bytes... 

Of course, after listing them in that "quitting file", the items would then get deleted from the game and the House remain as empty, either to be sold by the player before quitting, or, if not possible, to fall down, but with no contents in it...

Yeah, no more IDOCs.... I would not shed a tear about them missing though.... I always hated them.... too many scripters, cheaters revolving around them to my opinion....

There would be no "eviction" of a paying customer since, if that old player was to come back, their home was no longer there.... there would only be a file describing their Home's old contents...

The returning player would need to get a NEW home, since the old one is gone, and then, when ready, they could "claim" the old items from the achived File and fill up their "NEW" Home with them...

And they would be back up, ready to start play UO again, moreless from where they left it....
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    @McDougle You are better off trying to argue/debate a rock than @popps . The rock is smarter, and has more reasoning ability!
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    @popps not the slightest bit of server space should be used for QUITTERS why is this even a debate..
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,974Moderator
    I think we have sufficient feedback on this issue. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.