Fall Dynamic Events Discussion

Greetings Adventurers!

We are currently building out the Fall Dynamic Events that will continue the story of Wildfire and bring you on a deathly adventure into the history of one of Britannia's most fearsome creatures (more on that later)!

One of the action items we have for Pub 111 is to address concerns related to the Dynamic Champion Spawn.  There have been a couple threads with comments scattered about, but it would be immensely helpful to aggregate that feedback here so we can take action.

Further, as we look to our Treasures of Halloween event we want to make sure we address concerns there as well, so anything you would like to see us do specifically here is the place to let us know!  There's been a fair amount of negative feedback about the "Antique" property on various items.  While it would be great to hang on to these items forever, we also have to think long term impacts of the growing power of these items.  So, any thoughts on what would make those items more palatable while keeping that in mind are welcome.  Feel free to share any other feedback or reward items you would like to see re: these events as well but please keep it constructive, and be specific.  We cannot take action on ambiguity.  Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Comments

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I'll assume the bard fix in here somewhere and not nag ! I'd love luck items for missing slots pants shirt cape....anything that would boost my bard buffs ...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    The participation drops are too rare in the dynamic spawn. 

I liked the sorcerers dungeon and khaldun events for the treasures of event. I think they are more fun when they have many mobs and a boss at the end.

I would be happy with a return to Khaldun if there were some new masks.

There are too few mobs in Fire right now. I can keep a floor clear on days when there are no Balrons. More killing even if drop rate decreases.

I would like more mysterious cube colors. Red and green for the holidays.

Water tiles for houses would be very popular as holiday gifts.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    To keep players wanting to keep doing the dynamic spawns to the end, you could add a rare drop on the Boss.

Something unique. Either an armor slot item that players would want or a deco item like an EM drop.

I would prefer a statue of one of the toymakers puppies. Make them as rare as a specific roof drop so players would keep doing the dynamic spawn. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • The power creep train left the station a long time ago. If you are going to have "reward" items that are inferior to stuff you can get from normal gameplay then you are going to have "reward" items that no one wants. It's that simple.

The good news is that UO isn't the only game that has this problem -- loot items vs event items or artifacts vs craftable items. (Skyrim and Shroud of the Avatar both have variations on this problem.)

The bad news is that when you give us an item that is like mid tier then throw Antique on top of that? It sends, shall we say, mixed messages about how well you understand the game you are charged with managing and designing content for.

The "participation rewards" from the champ spawns were far too rare given their name. Come on now. It's a "participation reward." With UO's famous RNG it's far from out of the question that the "participation rewards" will be even rarer than the main rewards, which is a tad ridiculous. And why are even the high-end rewards keyed to account? Why not to character if you're absolutely intent on limiting it like that?

As to what to give as a reward, in terms of deco....Using EM drops as inspiration might be a good idea (container with cool blood effects; black candelabra that explodes in flames; stuff like that). You also can drop, say, a second-tier vanity mount as a reward (one that wasn't quite monetizeable enough to put in the store but that folks might want as a status symbol).

As to weapons and armor, how about this: Look at what some of the players are wearing or using to events, Peerlesses, or other high-end content, then design an item based around that, and then give it a cool sounding name that relates to the lore in some way. Make it a set when paired with the next event cycle's item(s). Or how about this: have a weapon that the game reads as GM-crafted, give it a unique hit spell effect (that "Bane" property comes to mind....or go wild and do "hit word of death"), no other properties, Brittle, and 255 top durability. Now we can Imbue it and have something that's unique in three different ways: It has properties we customized, a distinct name, and a property that doesn't exist elsewhere or only rarely is seen.

Hell, consider this: Design a useful suit of armor or bow/quiver combination, give it a quest-related name, and give it the Mondain's Legacy era "set" mechanic where the properties combined are good but the properties separate are garbage. Now we have an incentive to collect the whole set if only for bragging rights and the possibility of using on a character we don't want to design a suit for.

Take an item that already exists that people find useful. Tweak a property, change the name, change the color, make it non-dyeable.

As to the champ spawn itself, and this goes for "treasures of" mechanics as well, the thing I can stress most to you is that as a roleplayer my heart will always go most aflutter for some kind of immediacy. If not an invasion then, maybe, a spawn that's close to a city and that, in terms of the fiction anyway, could become an invasion if left unchecked. Or maybe if not immediacy then at least something with a solid RP reason to do it.

Fire is actually pretty ok in this regard but that could just be because on Great Lakes our Event Moderators managed to turn it into part of a struggle against the Cult of Wildfire and a kind of attempt to prevent them from overrunning Serpent's Hold. So it's easier to justify pursuing with at least moderate intensity.

Also something with more of a specific reason for it being repeatable. Consider the Fellowship champ spawn: As I recall, in an RP sense, there was only a reason to do t hat once. After that Batlin is dead, storyline over. I would say to leave single-type bosses to the EMs or to one-off global events (if those will still happen).

I guess that's all for now.

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,019
    edited July 2021
    Regarding the design of the "Treasures Of..." equipable items:

It seems to me you can break down what's happening with them into basically four steps in a players thought process:

1. They wear out quickly (Antique)
    2. Since they wear so fast, they must be designed to be used during the event (Fire)
    3. The items are not optimal for use during the event (Elemental damage type is incorrect, etc.)
    4. What is the point of the item?

Possible ways to address those steps:

1. Keep Antique
    2. State clearly that the item is designed to be used during the event.
    3. Design the item for optimal use during that event.
    Example: This event is in Fire, therefore most creatures have high fire damage and high fire resist, therefore we developers have purposefully designed each item to have high fire resist (to offset creature damage) and deal mostly non-fire damage (to offset creature resist).
    4. Lower the cost of the equipable items significantly so players can use them during the event, burn through the items, and get some of the higher end more permanent items (ostard, etc.). The items would become something like the Tincture of Silver from previous events. Use it during the event, then don't worry about it.

Or

1. Don't use Antique (Use brittle?)
    2. State clearly the item is designed to be used well after the event ends (but not forever?)
    3. Design the item for use in that dungeon (or against that creature group - "Murderous Axe of Balron Wing Clipping - Balron Slayer - 100% Cold Damage!) or just as a good general purpose item (SSI Epaulettes)
    4. Price the item at the high end of the reward list for that event.

Honestly Kyronix, I think you're fine with the Antique - if the item has a purpose for that event & doesn't cost that much.

Plus, you're the one that keeps talking about power creep, then gives us 10 SSI Epaulettes, a spellbook with +20 Magery, a bracelet with no durability, and a repairable tali with +20 Anatomy.

You guys are the devs. We don't control the game. Power creep only exists because you all keep adding power!

(I know, I know, if you don't up the ante each time, no one will bother to play. You may need to move to some type of low price consumable (which is really what Antique does) that is clearly stated as the themed consumable for that event, and only one or two high end rewards (Ostard or Triton) which are randomized and players will desire multiples of. Anyway, just thoughts....) 

Good luck!
    -Arroth
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    Let me talk specifically about what worked in the previous two champion spawn events, the treasures events, and then follow-up at the end with what didn't work for me and ways they could be addressed. I'm sure there will be some overlap here with what others have said.

As a participation reward, the lore pages worked. It's immediately obvious what they are for and what they do. If you're not into the lore then no problem, do something else. I compare this to the mysterious cube which was not quite so easy for us to get our head around. At the beginning especially we didn't know what it was for and so that made the reasoning to get it less clear.

As others have said, the drop rate for these items, though, needs serious revision. Especially since player testing has shown if you're not there in the first two waves, you're kinda out of luck.

As much as I thought otherwise, I concede now that opening the treasures event to Felucca has worked well, at least on my shard. I can only speak for mine but I think it has helped to address the low spawn rate in Fire. 

Some things that have not worked quite so well:

The Holmes Abomination champion spawn monsters were just all over the place. It was observed that the best strategy to clear the spawn was to engage specific builds for the specific levels. I'm sure the logic here was that this would force different players to play with each other to advance the spawn but instead it had the effect of people simply waiting out the combat timer, switching to the more effective character for that level, and then just knocking it out.

I compare this to the Black Gate champion spawn monsters which made more logical sense for their grouping, and let all kinds of player builds handle each level. Spellcasters couldn't really fight the yamatsus in the Holmes event, but they could fight everything in the Black Gate one. Dexxers had problems with the golems in the Holmes event, but they could fight everything in the Black Gate.

The inconsistency of the boss' strength and abilities between shards was a source of frustration for a lot of players, especially our cross-sharder friends. If individual shard EMs really are creating these for us to fight a little more consistency would be welcome, especially if you've got a particularly sadistic EM on your shard. 

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    Just a few items on my hot list:
    While I liked the events that have mobs and a boss at the end it gets frustrating that just a few people do all the work, sometimes for hours, to get the boss to spawn and then when the watchers announce that the boss has spawned everyone shows up to kill the boss. There needs to be a mega incentive/bonus for people to work the spawn. I can't tell you how deflating it is, time after time to see this happen. It gets to the point where you just stop because you know you're being used. I don't think it's just me that feels this way either.

We hear that there's suppose to be some bonus with Krampus but by some accounts those that show up at the end get the same goodies as those that do the required trade runs.

Same thing with paragons.  Mega bonus points please. I really think they're worth it due to the excessive length of time spent dead/getting rez'd/ running around the dungeon trying to find body etc/  :s There are times when you can die repeatedly to the same freaking paragon. Most people just run by them/ drag them to the nearest person/ ignore them and before long you have a dungeon that is stacked with paragons. Remember, most players are not uber players who have uber suits. We just make character and go play!

• For Treasures Of:
    • Bring back old items -- I would really prefer that you just add a few things each new event while leaving the old items in. It allows people who weren't playing at the time to "catch up" without having to pay hundreds of millions that they likely don't have unless they buy it from a gold seller. And that's if those items are even for sale, which is an issue on smaller shards since everything is shard bound. Keep the deco unique to each event, but not the equipable items.
    • Add dyes for each event, that are limited to that event. A 5 charge bottle for 150 points is my thought.
    • Add Conjurer's Trinket type talismans with slayers based on dungeon. It would provide a decent alternative to the cameos and the cameos would still be preferred with their SSI.
    • Add a spellbook with slayer for each dungeon. I wouldn't even hate it being the invasion books just re-hued to the spawn drop color.
    • Bump up the spawn rate. I spend more time running around looking for stuff to kill than anything else. I can't even imagine how bad it must be on Atlantic.
    • Keep the spawns going in Fel! -- Thank you for doing that worldwide this time.
    • I get the power creep issue. But if it's antique there is zero chance I use the points I have for it unless that item is beyond over powered. It just isn't worth it.
    For dynamic champ:
    • I love the everyone gets a drop when killing the champ. But after that, why do it again? Keep the guaranteed drop but also give a 10% chance to get it again on following spawns. I would have done more spawns for the chance at more bandaid belts and Baitlin's Inner Voices.
    • Pages of Lore dropping during the spawn was a good in concept, but the drop rate was way too low. I got frustrated and quit trying because my time was better spent doing other content.
    • The champs themselves need to be standardized. It's kind of cool having each shard being unique. But some of the EMs, or whoever adds the abilities, go way overboard. One hit kills are not fun at all nor is dumping slime/acid that destroys armor. Those are two guaranteed ways to get me to stop participating. Two to three hit kills? Ok. At least I have a shot at healing myself or cross healing.
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    >>For Treasures Of:
    • Bring back old items -- I would really prefer that you just add a few things each new event while leaving the old items in. It allows people who weren't playing at the time to "catch up" without having to pay hundreds of millions that they likely don't have unless they buy it from a gold seller. And that's if those items are even for sale, which is an issue on smaller shards since everything is shard bound. Keep the deco unique to each event, but not the equipable items.
    I  will be happy if some reduced power items will spawn in game. Morphius Eppaulettes cost hundreeds of millions now. Give us something with just 10 SSI and another item with 8 stamina in a robe slot. Same for warden armour (5 SSI in a wing slot). Same for First Aid Belt: blessed or insurable bandage container with 0 additional properties will be jolly good. 
    • Add dyes for each event, that are limited to that event. A 5 charge bottle for 150 points is my thought.
    May be also dyes for pet? Reward for killing 5-10 of each paragon in the dungeon. Pet-bound paint for a pet with dungeon colour. Green wildfire triton!!
    • Add Conjurer's Trinket type talismans with slayers based on dungeon. It would provide a decent alternative to the cameos and the cameos would still be preferred with their SSI.
    Love the idea!! But not "whole dungeon slayer". I like  elementals and daemons spawn together. Tough and challenging. 
    • Bump up the spawn rate. I spend more time running around looking for stuff to kill than anything else. I can't even imagine how bad it must be on Atlantic.
    Good on Atlantic. More people => more spawn. Running is needed , so  lazy bones who prefer  to stay at the same place will get less drops. 
    • Keep the spawns going in Fel! -- Thank you for doing that worldwide this time.
    • I get the power creep issue. But if it's antique there is zero chance I use the points I have for it unless that item is beyond over powered. It just isn't worth it
    Agree. Can add antique version of such items after event to some mob or peerless drop list. 

>>For dynamic champ:
    • I love the everyone gets a drop when killing the champ. But after that, why do it again? Keep the guaranteed drop but also give a 10% chance to get it again on following spawns. I would have done more spawns for the chance at more bandaid belts and Baitlin's Inner Voices.
    Awesome! 
    • Pages of Lore dropping during the spawn was a good in concept, but the drop rate was way too low. I got frustrated and quit trying because my time was better spent doing other content.
    It was good. Kill rabbits with 6  chars and you get 6 pages per day. I was too lazy to do it every day, but it was totally feasible.  One time even my crafter-imbuer went there. With Kotl Automaton. And while char was just running around chewing healing stone trying to stay alive and throwing Nether bolts killing rabbits if no mages around , Automaton made me a page. In like 5-7 minutes. 
    • The champs themselves need to be standardized. It's kind of cool having each shard being unique. But some of the EMs, or whoever adds the abilities, go way overboard. One hit kills are not fun at all nor is dumping slime/acid that destroys armor. Those are two guaranteed ways to get me to stop participating. Two to three hit kills? Ok. At least I have a shot at healing myself or cross healing.
    Death robe with *mob killed you* protection and 5 minutes timer will be good. Dont know if it is feasible. 

Why not scrolls...
    McDougle said:
    Why not scrolls...
    To clarify (i wish we could edit for longer than a hour)

Only 5s and 10s along with pinks and blues these have been in t-chest for a while now with no ill effect .

This could also be a great opportunity to add missing pinks and blues and maybe even raise all skills to 120.. like cooking poisoning tinker etc
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited July 2021
    Kyronix said:
     While it would be great to hang on to these items forever, we also have to think long term impacts of the growing power of these items.  So, any thoughts on what would make those items more palatable while keeping that in mind are welcome.  Feel free to share any other feedback or reward items you would like to see re: these events as well but please keep it constructive, and be specific.  We cannot take action on ambiguity.  Thanks in advance for the feedback!
    Before we look at the "detailed specs" of items,

1) For weapons, they need to be at least brittle to be realistically useful.

2) For wearable artifacts, we have already given our feedback.
    a) non-shard bound
    b) pofable

---
    Worry about long term impacts... ?I am not sure about others, but the reason I play UO "long term" is because the most treasured items that I have, player skills, house, items, are mostly "long term".

And for items on my suit, even when they are worn out I know I can buy another similar one to replace.

>> I don't have to reconfigure my suit because an item is no longer available in the game!?

If we like one-off item that are use and throw, I would rather play other games. Why not play Counterstrike? Everytime we login we get to choose a new set of armor and weapons! Is that what the Dev team is changing UO to? So nothing last forever.

Maybe Ultima Online Multiplayer Arcade is the new direction,
    - Login
    - Select player
    - Equip
    - Fight
    - Die
    - Repeat step 1.

No POF, no shard transfer issue, no antique, durability concerns.
    Perfect!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Seth said:
    Is that what the Dev team is changing UO to? So nothing last forever.
    I don't want to derail this thread, but I'll just mention, before AoS armor and weapons wore out. When you bought a silver vanq kat you started saving up for the next one ready for when it broke.
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited July 2021
    “Re power creep:
    Yukio’s earrings and solaria’s secret poison, 
    before these the only earrings with decent mods were the +2% resist earring of protection.
    You could’ve made them +2%spell damage with only 5 luck or +2% HCI and people would still want them.

Also I was under the impression that only 3 shards would have the event in fel, but instead people mine artis on dead shards and bring ostard to live shard, plus use sampire bots to mine the champs and auto insure, 
    Rich get richer, why no cursed artis in fel like planned?.
    Popped ostard should’ve also been shard bound.”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.

Shard bound pets are not a good idea. How would one not transfer a shard bound pet in their stable when they transfer their characters?
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 237
    Jepeth said:

Shard bound pets are not a good idea. How would one not transfer a shard bound pet in their stable when they transfer their characters?

They should be non - transferable once claimed similar to other pets like paroxysmus swamp dragon, grizzled mare.  And still should hotfixed to be that way.

The event in felucca is also dumb and should not happen especially when the dungeon has an active champion spawn. It doesn't promote pvp like the supporters say it's just blue sampires that have nothing to lose and get way better drop rates then anyone possibly can in trammel.  Even if you waste time to go down and kill them all their drops are insured and they will just come back 5 minutes later and start again all the while making even more money off powerscrolls. 

Look at ice dungeon when it was in felucca it had no champion spawn so no one bothered go there.

It's fine on Atlantic because its the only server that actually has population enough to justify felucca being included but even there doesn't bring additional PvP.  It's just 20 blues down there farming the spawn all day and night but thats better then the 2 or even solo player doing the spawn themselves on all these crap shards like LS, Baja, Napa.  
    edited July 2021
    Jepeth said:

They should be non - transferable once claimed similar to other pets like paroxysmus swamp dragon, grizzled mare.  And still should hotfixed to be that way.
    Non-transferable or not is a choice they made in the design of the Ostard. If you wanted them to be that way, fine, advocate for it when they were in testing on TC.

But making pets themselves shard bound is tricky and I could see a host of issues there. 

As far as your belief about this event being a bad idea on “dead shards,” we can agree to disagree.
  • The_Higgs_1The_Higgs_1 Posts: 420
    Ice dungeon didnt have worthwhile rewards for alot of folks.  Thats why noone bothered to go, it had nothing to do with anything else.   Fire has some decent rewards and therefore its being farmed alot.  Although these dynamic spawns are nice from time to time, id rather see some time spent on permanent content or updating older dead content, even if its just new rewards added to those bosses.  

As far as weapons go, people just arent going to use non elemental weapons anymore for the most part.  Only splinter weapons fall into physical damage that will be used.   Its gonna be hard to make weapons as a drop due to power creep if they are usuable, especially with them being time based to get.  Id stick to more armor talismans and clothing items as drops.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    RE: Removing antique property

Introduce item to the game that can remove antique property from an item (quest or rare drop). 
    Restrictions:  limited to 1 per character, 7 per shard.  This might allow a happy medium,
  • Seth said:
    I don't want to derail this thread, but I'll just mention, before AoS armor and weapons wore out. When you bought a silver vanq kat you started saving up for the next one ready for when it broke.
    That was 18+ years ago. That'd be a quality of life regression at this point.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Drago said:

Introduce item to the game that can remove antique property from an item (quest or rare drop). 
    Restrictions:  limited to 1 per character, 7 per shard.  This might allow a happy medium,
    Mass EJ Accounts would be no problem to fix the limit.
    Bilbo said:
    Drago said:

Make EJ accounts not eligible...
    edited July 2021
    McDougle said:
    Bilbo said:
    Drago said:

3 Paid Accounts would give me 525 of them for my home shard or 525 of them to sell on Atl. 
    People with just 1 Account could use 175 of them and then 10 days later delete the gift chars and make new ones for what 150 more per account, why limit them when the work around is simple unless you really want the devs to dig that deep into the code.  What other drop has a limit on it.
    Bilbo said:
    McDougle said:
    Bilbo said:
    Drago said:

3 Paid Accounts would give me 525 of them for my home shard or 525 of them to sell on Atl. 
    People with just 1 Account could use 175 of them and then 10 days later delete the gift chars and make new ones for what 150 more per account, why limit them when the work around is simple unless you really want the devs to dig that deep into the code.  What other drop has a limit on it.
    Maybe just maybe you're way overthinking this..
    McDougle said:
    Bilbo said:
    McDougle said:
    Bilbo said:
    Drago said:

Maybe just maybe you're way overthinking this..
    Or maybe you are trying to make people think these will be so rare that you can charge 1P per.  These will be farmed like mad and within a week they will be worthless.  Maybe I can see clearly what will happen and you are trying to make it something that will be a huge money maker for you.
  • CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 866

Kyronix said:
    Greetings Adventurers!

There's been a fair amount of negative feedback about the "Antique" property on various items.  While it would be great to hang on to these items forever, we also have to think long term impacts of the growing power of these items
      The negative response to the 'antique' rewards would have been even worse if those items were good compared to weapons that already exist & still drop in loot outside of this event,
    The people that are bringing it up as feedback, are the ones that care enough to avoid this same situation with future events.   -Let's see if it makes a difference.

It's a shame power-creep didn't seem so important back when it would have mattered, about 6-7 years ago or so when Global Loot came into play.   

It was a massive jump from:
    Imbued/enhanced 5-6 mod items (Counting Resistances)
    to
    Legendary 8+ mod items (Not Counting Resistances) basically overnight.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    Bilbo said:
    McDougle said:
    Bilbo said:
    Drago said:

1. Make shard bound
    1. You can only have 7 on 1 shard at a time per account (doesnt matter who converted it).
    Drago said:
    Bilbo said:
    McDougle said:
    Bilbo said:
    Drago said:

1. Make shard bound
    1. You can only have 7 on 1 shard at a time per account (doesnt matter who converted it).
    People will just take their stuff with them shard hopping, so now I suppose you will say make the gear shard bound.
  • Seth said:

While some items, even aside from the useless "Antique" property, do still wear out, the old days and now are not analogous. These days losing an item can be a permanent reduction in your effectiveness. While UO's always been "item based" in the sense that items have always mattered (anyone who doubts this has never been hit by a Heavy Crossbow of Vanquishing), since AoS items have come to define one's character and effectiveness. Building your suit is part of building the character.

Different game with different rules.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Seth said:

We learn the lesson and feedback from a much larger player base back then... then the game became more refined, so why revert now to antique weapons. Anyway, I think those are meant for pvp so it does not really matter even if they are super antique but as long as they are super powerful like giving 1 hit kills. Then maybe worry about over powered but it's ok make it antique by limiting say only 10 hits or 10 kills before it breaks :D

For pvm, I noted most players know that it's very rare to find a useful weapon in the wild or as a arty drop.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs