Test Center Suggestion - Kyronix

@Kyronix @Mesanna

I have a suggestion for the Housing on TC.
The whole reason we have Test Center is pretty much to Test things, test house placements and so on, or for special occasions like contests.
How about during the Non Contest Period, all houses placed on TC drop in a week? 
It is very annoying trying to test house placement when the whole Test Center Shard is taken, people place 1,2,3+ houses there and than just leave them there, make houses on TC to drop after 1 week, the whole purpose is to TEST.   Yes, OFC, when we have the contest than leave for weeks or whatever.
Am I wrong?

Comments

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Makes sense to me
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    edited July 2021
    For TC sounds like a great idea. 
    I would actually suggest wiping everything on TC every week unless something special is going on.

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081

people place 1,2,3+ houses there and than just leave them there, make houses on TC to drop after 1 week, the whole purpose is to TEST. 

Am I missing something about Test where you can place unlimited houses (I've never placed more than 1)? My understanding is that it acts just like a live shard so if you place a second house same account then the first one becomes condemned?
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Why would you allow player housing on the test shard in the first place?  Is this post implying I can place another house on the test shard?  If so, what can I keep in it.  Have never been on the test shard but if I can use it to create additional storage that appeals to me. Does not make sense to me that the game would allow players to place houses on a test shard so would like a clarification on that.  Housing function is fairly user friendly and forgiving do really see the need to have this function on the test shard.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    You can place a house on TC without anything happening to your live shard house. I've placed a house to test some of the new items like the anvil they came out with last year or some home deco to see what it looks like and to do a little free testing for UO when I'm bored (lack of new content before this storyline can make you do crazy things!).

I'm not sure why people would place 2-3-4 houses though and to my knowledge they can't without the other ones dropping.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Meant to say do not really see the need to have this function on the test shard.  Editing skills appear to be declining, sorry.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Off topic posts have been removed
    Houses on test center are used for several purposes, including, but not limited to:
    •  test a building design before copying to live shard
    • Test newly introduced house decor
    • Test newly introduced craftables
    • Share resources when different character types are needed to test publishes

• PrissyPPrissyP Posts: 24
    yes, but you also have No limitation of number of houses. I can place with 1 account alone, 1,5,10,20 houses if I want and to answer someone's question, no, will not make the previous one idoc.

@Arnold7 - Why would you allow player housing on the test shard in the first place?  Is this post implying I can place another house on the test shard? 

90% the time I use for this but people dont use common sense, I go to TC, I place my house, I test what I need and I drop my house/plot. some people go there and place houses and leave. which is a PIA for those that really need to test something. I really dont understand why people need to place all Lunas and Castles and leave there for no reason at all.

Please @Kyronix and @Mesanna , unless the team is planning something big like a new patch that need to be tested or a house contest , pls consider that during normal times, houses drop 1 week or so after been placed, or even daily.

• BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    How about you have to refresh your TC House every 24 hours or it goes poof, no exception.
  • TC is often down enough after every new publish ;) .... so plz... never touch a running system ;)

A little less ego-thinking, know-it-all and rumbling compared to others who aren't so "great" and the UO-life would be a whole corner easier

(Ein bisschen weniger Ego-Denken, Besserwisserei und Rumprollerei anderen gegenüber die halt nicht so "toll sind" und das UO-Leben wäre ne ganze Ecke einfacher)

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972

@ Arnold7 - Why would you allow player housing on the test shard in the first place?  Is this post implying I can place another house on the test shard? 

90% the time I use for this but people dont use common sense, I go to TC, I place my house, I test what I need and I drop my house/plot. some people go there and place houses and leave. which is a PIA for those that really need to test something. I really dont understand why people need to place all Lunas and Castles and leave there for no reason at all.

Please @ Kyronix and @ Mesanna , unless the team is planning something big like a new patch that need to be tested or a house contest , pls consider that during normal times, houses drop 1 week or so after been placed, or even daily.

Yes but you can not transfer from TC and the shard is wiped as needed. It does not give you more lockdowns on your home shard...
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    Agree w/ OP.   TC is a TEST SHARD.   NOTHING should be permanent on that shard.  It should be new legacy on steroids. 
    Pawain said:

@ Arnold7 - Why would you allow player housing on the test shard in the first place?  Is this post implying I can place another house on the test shard? 

Please @ Kyronix and @ Mesanna , unless the team is planning something big like a new patch that need to be tested or a house contest , pls consider that during normal times, houses drop 1 week or so after been placed, or even daily.

Yes but you can not transfer from TC and the shard is wiped as needed. It does not give you more lockdowns on your home shard...

??

I never said anything about Transfers or anything related. I use TC to test house placements. all players from all shards depend on TC to test those things, so I dont know why you need to keep a house on TC anyway, other than just test, so again, would be a very good things if houses placed on TC only stayed up 24 hours or a week, unless there is a contest or major publishes coming.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    edited July 2021
    @ Kyronix @ Mesanna

The whole reason we have Test Center is pretty much to Test things, test house placements and so on, or for special occasions like contests.
    How about during the Non Contest Period, all houses placed on TC drop in a week? 
    It is very annoying trying to test house placement when the whole Test Center Shard is taken, people place 1,2,3+ houses there and than just leave them there, make houses on TC to drop after 1 week, the whole purpose is to TEST.   Yes, OFC, when we have the contest than leave for weeks or whatever.
    Am I wrong?

What specific kinds of testing are you looking at trying to do? 
    @Kyronix
    • as you know the "some" of the custom keeps and castles after you convert them from classic,  turn into improperly placed and the only way to fix is to resize and replot as classic and than convert again. and sometimes is hard to do that on atlantic, so some of us go to test center and simulate the same scenario to see if will work or not.
    • sometimes in order to place a keep or a castle, you start with a smaller house  and buy houses around that house in order to later place the one you want. than ago we go to TC to test everything before go to production shard and do.

• @Kyronix

Kyronix said:
    @ Kyronix @ Mesanna

Am I wrong?

What specific kinds of testing are you looking at trying to do? 

this is a perfect example:

This castle was placed in 2013, Properly placed, nothing blocking on any side or inside!
    after it was converted into the new design from the contest, it became improperly placed due the gravestone that was 1 tile away and after converted there is no more space in between, therefore making the castle now improperly placed and there is No way to revert into classic, unless you resize the castle and replot and for those occasions is always nice to jump into test center to make sure. but as stated before, people place houses on TC and just leave them there for no reasons at all.

• haha Yeah that's the problem I had. with the pic above that was my castle. I also have a keep with trees on the steps. I use Test center to test upgrading houses, even smaller ones into 18x18s to see how it fits if possible. I like trying to upgrade spots for best house possible in some locations. don't get me wrong. I love how this keep looks with the tree actually on my plot but I cant switch style unless I drop the keep and replot it, which isn't possible as it wont go back down with keep in back blocking the spot .. I own that one too so tech redoing isn't a problem but that means removing everything out of both keeps & resizing both back to old styles so keeps will fit back in location. People like to think plotting a house is easy. in some cases yes but in others there has to be a good amount of planning and the test center makes it possible. 
    While we are on the subject can we get like 2 plat on test shard as standard gold amount so we cant test the new castle & keep designs, 2 mil gold doesn't even cover the cheapest design! @Kyronix @Mesanna Thank you for Your Time =)