Population & Shard merging

Is there a reason why there is are plenty of shards for a single time-zone? It seems like there isn't much of a population in certain shards. What's keeping those shards from being removed or merged with another?

I have been in Baja for a about a month now and ive only seen one person in chat and one person walking around.

my curiosity peaks because it seems like a player-base is almost non-existant on some shards. 

Comments

• I'm just lonely, that's all. I can't wait for New Legacy.        D:
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    A shard merge is probably impossible unless there isn’t a single house placement conflict. I also feel that creating the means to do a shard merge would take up a considerable amount of time and would probably result in many problems/bugs. Just doesn’t seem worth it. Maybe I’m wrong though. 
  • I see. The housing part particularly seems like a legit reason to not try mergers. Baja is a ghost time every time i get on though. In my opinion, it would make sense to consolidate population for a more lively world.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I have a character on Origin because i like the quiet i have one on Pacific because it's home i have many on Cats because it's become home leave other shards alone 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • I honestly believe the Real Money Transaction bots are more active, creating a false sense of population.
  • psychopsycho Posts: 284
    I have an alternative solution.

Instead of merging and closing down shards, how about some direct marketing in those areas the shards are. Then you could potentially get new/returning players and with good ping playing their local server. its a win-win

Long live Ultima Online!
  • BetaRising8BetaRising8 Posts: 16
    edited July 2021
    psycho said:
    I have an alternative solution.

Instead of merging and closing down shards, how about some direct marketing in those areas the shards are. Then you could potentially get new/returning players and with good ping playing their local server. its a win-win

Long live Ultima Online!
    Yeah this sounds like a good idea. I wonder if they would be able to pull off cross-server play between shards, with linking shards in some way through technology.
  • McDougle said:
    I have a character on Origin because i like the quiet i have one on Pacific because it's home i have many on Cats because it's become home leave other shards alone 
    Unfortunately, I may have to do the same thing to find people to play with. Even if just a single person.
    McDougle said:
    Unfortunately, I may have to do the same thing to find people to play with. Even if just a single person.
    Make characters on other shards until you find what works for you... i make new characters for things like the rabbit spawn that combined with the earrings quest was perfect for training new characters and when you're on a shard with mo support it's like starting over
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Have you called out in Gen Chat and introduced yourself?  Baja is one of the quietest shards going.  What time are you on?  Have you been to fire dungeon?

At one time all shards were overflowing and there were no open housing spots and now every house you see belongs to a paid account so there is really no dead shard just less populated.  To merge shards would be impossible to do, you have 6 west coast shards so if you merge all of them together which shard will they all merge to and what are you going to do when 5/6 of you population quits?  Also understand that UO has already stated that there will be no mergers because they know it will piss off a lot more players then happy players.  It is like the clients, closing one will piss off half of all UO players and UO can not afford to lose that many people.
  • DarkionDarkion Posts: 12
    I mean I personally think shard merging populations would only be a good thing.

The housing issue would be by far the largest, but doesn’t mean it couldn’t be overcome. Either that or looking into instanced dungeons or out of town areas etc. That could share populations for Fel anyway.

the dwindling player base and keeping them spread thin I think will only get worse when the new legacy shard is launched, so why wouldn’t we support a merge, xfer tokens have meant economy impacts are not longer an issue.

Leas shards to support from a resource perspective as well.

Typing on a phone whilst walking, so this random drivel may not come out as intended!
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    The only way a shard merge would work is if they expanded housing plots and only the incoming transferees could place a house.
  • If you don't like the size of your shard you can move your character to a bigger shard.
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    edited July 2021
    They’ve said pretty unequivocally that they won’t hard merge shards for many many different reasons, most of them technical. I’m sure plenty are also customer focused. If they told me today my shard (with its unique 24 year history) is shutting down and merging tomorrow, I’d unsubscribe today. Game over!

At the same time, veterans who spent years accumulating shard shields (and ‘accumulating’ the accounts which have shard shield time) utterly freak out with the suggestion of a free-to-everyone transfer system for items, characters, or both which would give us the ‘soft’ shard merge option. Whether actually justified or not they would see that as a betrayal, game over.

New Legacy is option #3.. 

• New Legacy is ultimately what Im waiting for. It's why I came back to figure out how to play better than when i was 13 lol. it feels good understanding it better.
    From the introduction of Tram to Power Scrolls was by far the easiest time to learn UO.  Basic Templates with basic GM Armor for the warrior and you were ready to go kill and the crafting system was much easier to understand.
  • GarretGarret Posts: 64
    I posted some ideas earlier, but seems nobody like it, 3 first sentences about old shards https://forum.uo.com/discussion/7353/new-legacy-lets-make-it-fun-for-all-mby#latest
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited July 2021
    ive only seen one person in chat and one person walking around.

my curiosity peaks because it seems like a player-base is almost non-existant on some shards. 
    The player base is not like 1999 when we all hang around the classic banks like Britain, Minoc or Vesper to trade, chat, steal or fight.

Most of the time I believe we can find someone walking around Luna on most shard during their respective "peak hours" esp. during weekends. As for chat... I have 3 active accounts and been around for 20 over years... but I have posted... maybe 0 (Zero) post on global chat.

Every veteran players logged in and recall straight to their favourite dungeons or places to hunt or enjoy the fun. I think you can find many players at Fire Dungeon at this time. What is there to do by standing around at Luna bank, unless the player is macroing or quietly doing some Vendor Search.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Garret said:
    I posted some ideas earlier, but seems nobody like it, 3 first sentences about old shards https://forum.uo.com/discussion/7353/new-legacy-lets-make-it-fun-for-all-mby#latest
    Not only did they not like it but the vast majority told you to go away and now you think posting here will change any bodies mind, LOL, GO AWAY.
  • GarretGarret Posts: 64
    edited July 2021
    Bilbo said:
    Garret said:
    Not only did they not like it but the vast majority told you to go away and now you think posting here will change any bodies mind, LOL, GO AWAY.
    Not trying to change any opinions, just shared my previus expirience about asking to merge servers etc. 

P.S.  u toxic for no reason, be more polite plz.
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    Is there a reason why there is are plenty of shards for a single time-zone? It seems like there isn't much of a population in certain shards. What's keeping those shards from being removed or merged with another?

I have been in Baja for a about a month now and ive only seen one person in chat and one person walking around.

First check to see if there is a public Discord for the shard and join it.  Sonoma has one, https://discord.gg/YZcyzU6a

A lot of folks are on that server, so check to see if Baja has one.
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    Here's the 7 day invite code for a Baja Discord: https://discord.gg/z2VCBq3K
  • DarkionDarkion Posts: 12
    Was just my two cents.

On phone so can’t quote, but in response to :

’if you don’t like your shard move’ this is fine for US players, but European for example don’t have the luxury of a populated option.

The point on shard shields I get, but in reality those of us that have left have all been knocking around since god knows how long, so a large amount of the population either has shields or knows someone with shields who lets them use the transfers freely anyway.

Anyway, I get it’s not for everyone - for those of us who prefer elements of the games where more people directly impacts enjoyment, then it’s obviously more of an issue compared to solo dungeon farming etc.

• GwenGwen Posts: 210
    Darkion said:
    Was just my two cents.

On phone so can’t quote, but in response to :

’if you don’t like your shard move’ this is fine for US players, but European for example don’t have the luxury of a populated option.

The point on shard shields I get, but in reality those of us that have left have all been knocking around since god knows how long, so a large amount of the population either has shields or knows someone with shields who lets them use the transfers freely anyway.

Anyway, I get it’s not for everyone - for those of us who prefer elements of the games where more people directly impacts enjoyment, then it’s obviously more of an issue compared to solo dungeon farming etc.
    Solo farming is not a problem. Problem is : you cannot buy stuff you need, you cannot sell stuff you got in the dungeon. I can make all crafters and imbuer. So I will have weapon\armor. But to get PS  or some artiifacts I need will be real disaster. 
    If there will be any cross-shard trade option  : with taxes or just 10-20 items per account problem will not be so heavy. Or some "Chest of cross-shard sending" . 
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    In addition to the discord channel, Baja has a facebook page the most notable Baja resident that I know is @AmberWitch

And @Darkion Europa is far from 'empty', we have an active population and busy guilds. 
  • ProtectorProtector Posts: 14
    It may not be possible, but is it possible to introduce a residential shard at the same time? It is a residential shard that can be moved back and forth from the shard.
    Previously introduced to solve housing problems, Maras is now full of vacant lots. The reason is obvious: "Keep and Castle can't be built".
    If the depopulated shards cannot be integrated due to housing problems, it may be one of the solutions.
    edited July 2021
    I see contradictions.

- Shard Transfer Shield
    - Shard Bound Items 
    - Shard Merging
    - Shard Migration

As you can see one of the above implementations (bold) is contradicting existing and also any proposed systems (mergers or migration).

As it goes now, as more and more events take place and more players convert to use the new shard bound items in their suit, it’s gets harder to move around to other shard. E.g. I need to have the Morphius epaulettes to make my new suit complete. It’s hard to migrate fully as such items are hard to buy, non existent or very expensive to buy due to shard bound on a new shard.

Furthermore, if you squeeze many players on one shard, the demand will definitely exceed supply by a lot. Maybe existing players on the migrated shard can sell shard bound arties for several plats.

To this day, I have yet to see any strong arguments and advantages for shard bound arties.
    Seth said:
    I see contradictions.

- Shard Transfer Shield
    - Shard Bound Items 
    - Shard Merging
    - Shard Migration

As you can see one of the above implementations (bold) is contradicting existing and also any proposed systems (mergers or migration).

As it goes now, as more and more events take place and more players convert to use the new shard bound items in their suit, it’s gets harder to move around to other shard. E.g. I need to have the Morphius epaulettes to make my new suit complete. It’s hard to migrate fully as such items are hard to buy, non existent or very expensive to buy due to shard bound on a new shard.

Furthermore, if you squeeze many players on one shard, the demand will definitely exceed supply by a lot. Maybe existing players on the migrated shard can sell shard bound arties for several plats.

To this day, I have yet to see any strong arguments and advantages for shard bound arties.
    Well let's look at Origin and Atlantic on Origin i have dungeon to myself and get lots of arties now if the rewards weren't shard bound off to Atlantic to make cash. Now you say but what's wrong with that. And the issue is not me a citizen of  Origin going there it's the zerg guilds that come only taking and leave...
    McDougle said:
    Seth said:
    I see contradictions.

- Shard Transfer Shield
    - Shard Bound Items 
    - Shard Merging
    - Shard Migration

Well let's look at Origin and Atlantic on Origin i have dungeon to myself and get lots of arties now if the rewards weren't shard bound off to Atlantic to make cash. Now you say but what's wrong with that. And the issue is not me a citizen of  Origin going there it's the zerg guilds that come only taking and leave...
    Items to Atlantic can still be moved back to any shard, not just Origin.

I have friends asking for Morphius Epaulettes, do you have any to sell on all other 20 over shards besides Atlantic with prices lower than Atlantic now? Last I heard they are selling at very high price over there. Shard bound are good for making more profit, i guess…
    Seth said:
    McDougle said:
    Seth said:
    I see contradictions.

- Shard Transfer Shield
    - Shard Bound Items 
    - Shard Merging
    - Shard Migration

Items to Atlantic can still be moved back to any shard, not just Origin.

I have friends asking for Morphius Epaulettes, do you have any to sell on all other 20 over shards besides Atlantic with prices lower than Atlantic now? Last I heard they are selling at very high price over there. Shard bound are good for making more profit, i guess…
    Exactly making more profit on the shard they belong to ..