Is this the New "Ultima Online Normal" ?

usernameusername Posts: 690
edited June 2021 in General Discussions
[grindy] Quest chain
Champ spawn
Tot style event
3 months of nothing
Rinse, repeat?

Yea, these 3 "mechanics" are getting boring already. Let's get something fresh other than these ToT and Champ spawns. Anyone remember when we got cool new stuff, mechanics, etc., like the Garg potions in Termur from the last expansion in 2009? Pepperidge farm 'members.
This discussion has been closed.

I will be slow to reply because I cannot log in/stay logged in to the forums.
Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.

Comments

• Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,798
    username said:
    [grindy] Quest chain
    Champ spawn
    Tot style event
    3 months of nothing
    Rinse, repeat?

Yea, these 3 "mechanics" are getting boring already. Let's get something fresh other than these ToT and Champ spawns. Anyone remember when we got cool new stuff, mechanics, etc., like the Garg potions in Termur from the last expansion in 2009? Pepperidge farm 'members.

A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• New content (stuff to do, reasons to play) is what's needed. The current mechanics you speak of are one way to get that and their presence should be praised -- kinda sad to see it criticized.

New mechanics can be interesting for some but they cause complaints in others, and still others just kind of go with it because we actually want to just play the game. New mechanics can create niche markets that some, but not many, use. (That "armor refinement" thing is a great example.) So it can be a questionable investment especially given that this game is already pretty complex as it is.

Having said that, the fact that there is time, money, and energy to invent new mechanics for a new shard that isn't even out yet really  makes me feel like a moron for pushing so hard ONLY for new content within existing systems for so long. Obviously they had more time, money, and energy than I had guessed, they just didn't choose to channel it at finding stuff to put in the game as it was.

Discouraging to be sure.

A couple of the things they're mentioning for the new shard (3 examples: more intense quest type system; family names; weather) actually make a lot more sense on shards that are permanent (AND THAT CURRENTLY EXIST!!!) than on a shard that's designed to be ephemeral (AND THAT DOES NOT CURRENTLY EXIST!!!). And let's not forget that their event type mechanics are far, far from limited to what they've been using of late.

But, alas, They decided to go to the "but new shard" route.
  • usernameusername Posts: 690
    edited June 2021
    New content (stuff to do, reasons to play) is what's needed. The current mechanics you speak of are one way to get that and their presence should be praised -- kinda sad to see it criticized.
    Never said that I don't want new content, on the contrary, I enjoy new content as it's stuff to do. Yes the mechanics are a way of delivering it and, when it's ALL we are going to get anymore, and in repetition SEVERAL times a year, that's my criticism.

Let's take a look in the past. Each year we had something new, at least once in the summer, and maybe for other holidays (not in any order): fellowship arc, fishing/pirate update, town invasion with lighthouses, town invasion with the 4 gods, shrine battles, exodus, halloween conj garb essence, shard of the dead, garg cure potion, etc. which were all mostly unique and had unique mechanics/quests associated with them. They were NEW and FRESH things to do. And we usually had somethings return ONCE a year, with minor additions, like Halloween in Doom and other dungeons. This is great, we got old stuff that returned, sometimes with minor twists/additions, PLUS new stuff.

So then why is it sad to see this new system of repetition criticized?

We will never have the interesting things we've had in the past. We are getting the same Champ spawn system that has been in the game for 20 years and ToT system that's been around almost equally as long. Don't get me wrong, ToT and champ spawns are cool and great, but my main issue is that that's all we're getting anymore and SEVERAL times a year. When the new ToT comes out that will be the 3rd in approximately 9 months and we're on the 3rd champ in 9 months... you get the point. We'll likely hit a 4th of each by the fall. Boring. Once a year should be the most for these.

So yes, I feel it's quite deserved a criticism at this point. If that's all we're getting, the same style 'events' over and over, it's depressing. Limit them to 1 a year and give us something new.

(notice my criticism isn't the new quest system itself, more that it's involved the pattern of repetition. Quests are great and I think we need more permanent ones)

Make this your signature if you are tired of Vendor Search being broken, over 4 years and counting.
    Vendor search rendered useless after Publish 106 – Forsaken Foes on August 14, 2019.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I don't mind the "repetitious" of ut there is enough flavor each time to make it interesting what does bother me a lot is the bugs this is new can't blame spaghetti code how or why is something glaring like say provo broken and still not fixed going into what our 4th dungeon..... @Kyronix
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • DinoDino Posts: 27
    That's exactly what I've been wondering lately. Is the future of UO that
    Brodsword creates an illusion of new content with a minimum of effort?
    The first time, the really good rewards motivated me to invest a lot of time.
    But now I think to myself, why do I need this stuff if there is no PvM
    challenge anyway. There are always two reasons to invest time in an MMO.
    Things that are fun and things that are worthwhile. In the best case, both
    apply. I was initially happy when the Broadsword team took over the helm.
    Meanwhile, as a UO veteran, I need more hope than brain to stick with it.
    In addition, I would like to say to some people here that I, as a customer,
    actually expect certain improvements to be part of the provider's service.
    You don't have to constantly beg for these things to appear in the shop for
    extra payments.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    username said:
    New content (stuff to do, reasons to play) is what's needed. The current mechanics you speak of are one way to get that and their presence should be praised -- kinda sad to see it criticized.
    Never said that I don't want new content, on the contrary, I enjoy new content as it's stuff to do. Yes the mechanics are a way of delivering it and, when it's ALL we are going to get anymore, and in repetition SEVERAL times a year, that's my criticism.

Let's take a look in the past. Each year we had something new, at least once in the summer, and maybe for other holidays (not in any order): fellowship arc, fishing/pirate update, town invasion with lighthouses, town invasion with the 4 gods, shrine battles, exodus, halloween conj garb essence, shard of the dead, garg cure potion, etc. which were all mostly unique and had unique mechanics/quests associated with them. They were NEW and FRESH things to do. And we usually had somethings return ONCE a year, with minor additions, like Halloween in Doom and other dungeons. This is great, we got old stuff that returned, sometimes with minor twists/additions, PLUS new stuff.

So then why is it sad to see this new system of repetition criticized?

We will never have the interesting things we've had in the past. We are getting the same Champ spawn system that has been in the game for 20 years and ToT system that's been around almost equally as long. Don't get me wrong, ToT and champ spawns are cool and great, but my main issue is that that's all we're getting anymore and SEVERAL times a year. When the new ToT comes out that will be the 3rd in approximately 9 months and we're on the 3rd champ in 9 months... you get the point. We'll likely hit a 4th of each by the fall. Boring. Once a year should be the most for these.

So yes, I feel it's quite deserved a criticism at this point. If that's all we're getting, the same style 'events' over and over, it's depressing. Limit them to 1 a year and give us something new.

(notice my criticism isn't the new quest system itself, more that it's involved the pattern of repetition. Quests are great and I think we need more permanent ones)
    Its funny how all these positive things that you mentioned were created by this development team. And they brought back ToT because it was suggested by players.

But in your original post you complain about these developers and want things like was done in the past which you do not mention as fun.

They gave us a rerun of the 20th Anniversary Arc which was also requested so we could do something during the pandemic.  They made Dynamic content so they could give us more content easier.  If you do not like killing stuff to get items then UO is not for you.  And many other games are not for you.

Time for YOU to accept UO as it has always been (Kill stuff to get stuff, do quests to get stuff) or move along.  Or you can play as a crafter or house decorator which also are staples of UO from the beginning.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited June 2021
    Pawain said:

Its funny how all these positive things that you mentioned were created by this development team. And they brought back ToT because it was suggested by players.

But in your original post you complain about these developers and want things like was done in the past which you do not mention as fun.

They gave us a rerun of the 20th Anniversary Arc which was also requested so we could do something during the pandemic.  They made Dynamic content so they could give us more content easier.  If you do not like killing stuff to get items then UO is not for you.  And many other games are not for you.

Time for YOU to accept UO as it has always been (Kill stuff to get stuff, do quests to get stuff) or move along.  Or you can play as a crafter or house decorator which also are staples of UO from the beginning.
    You're completely misunderstanding the point. I don't mind ToT, I don't mind champ spawns, I don't mind anything they've done in the past or present. I, in fact, like all of the above. I'm glad they brought it back. I'll make this very clear since you (and maybe others) are missing the point: My criticism is the 3 champ and 3 ToT events within 9 months (along with associated quests) being all we're seeming to ever get from now on as 'new content' is objectively fatiguing and repetitive. 

The rerun of the 20th anniversary arc ONCE A YEAR is great and I think that's a good idea. If they did that 3-4 times a year I don't think anyone would enjoy it.

And no, why should anyone accept this? Why are you so against something new?

"Complacency is the enemy of progress"

"Variety is the spice of life"

Everything we have done since the 20th Anniversary Arc is new.  What are you talking about?

Just because they have refined the methods to get new things you dont like it?
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    username said:
    Pawain said:

You're completely misunderstanding the point. I don't mind ToT, I don't mind champ spawns, I don't mind anything they've done in the past or present. I, in fact, like all of the above. I'm glad they brought it back. I'll make this very clear since you (and maybe others) are missing the point: My criticism is the 3 champ and 3 ToT events within 9 months (along with associated quests) being all we're seeming to ever get from now on as 'new content' is objectively fatiguing and repetitive. 

The rerun of the 20th anniversary arc ONCE A YEAR is great and I think that's a good idea. If they did that 3-4 times a year I don't think anyone would enjoy it.

And no, why should anyone accept this? Why are you so against something new?

"Complacency is the enemy of progress"

"Variety is the spice of life"
    And what do you suggest that the UO Team (all 6 of them) not do so they can work on your project.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    new content would come out faster if they werent supporting 2 clients
    edited June 2021
    Pawain said:
    Everything we have done since the 20th Anniversary Arc is new.  What are you talking about?

username said:
    We are getting the same Champ spawn system that has been in the game for 20 years and ToT system that's been around almost equally as long.
    Already answered that, do you read?
    No, they're not new at all lol.
    ----------
    Bilbo said:
    And what do you suggest that the UO Team (all 6 of them) not do so they can work on your project.
    username said:
    Limit [these 2 systems] them to 1 a year and give us something new.
    Make new systems so instead of the on pace of 4 champ spawns and 4 ToT events we can do 8 different systems. Maybe town invasions for another one of these 'systems' so at least we could have that much more variety? Do 2 town invasions, 2 ToT, 2 champ spawns a year. Wow that was hard!

Do this enough and add more of these 'systems' that we can do 8 different ones a year. Variety.
    -----------
    Drago said:
    Facts. Dump the buggy EC. From people that I know that use it, it's been a buggy nightmare since day 1... I mean the CC isn't a whole lot better lol.

username said:
    Pawain said:

username said:
    We are getting the same Champ spawn system that has been in the game for 20 years and ToT system that's been around almost equally as long.
    No, they're not new at all lol.
    ----------
    Bilbo said:
    username said:
    Limit [these 2 systems] them to 1 a year and give us something new.
    Make new systems so instead of the on pace of 4 champ spawns and 4 ToT events we can do 8 different systems. Maybe town invasions for another one of these 'systems' so at least we could have that much more variety? Do 2 town invasions, 2 ToT, 2 champ spawns a year. Wow that was hard!

Do this enough and add more of these 'systems' that we can do 8 different ones a year. Variety.
    -----------
    Drago said:
    Facts. Dump the buggy EC. From people that I know that use it, it's been a buggy nightmare since day 1... I mean the CC isn't a whole lot better lol.
    And you never answered the question.
    What do you want the UO Team to stop doing so they can do what you want them to do.  Stop turning on existing systems does not do what you want. You want NEW systems and right now there is not enough people to do this so they need to stop working on something, so what is it.

Turning off EC will not fix UO and the DEVs already have said that they will not do this, maybe you should pay more attention when you read.  Turning off either client will be the death of UO or haven't you been paying any attention to what the player base says.
    Bilbo said:
    What do you want the UO Team to stop doing so they can do what you want them to do.  Stop turning on existing systems does not do what you want. You want NEW systems and right now there is not enough people to do this so they need to stop working on something, so what is it.

Turning off EC will not fix UO and the DEVs already have said that they will not do this, maybe you should pay more attention when you read.  Turning off either client will be the death of UO or haven't you been paying any attention to what the player base says.
    Literally answered everything. I want the UO team to develop the game they work for. Is that so much to ask? Maintenance mode is unacceptable. It's clear they do not have any plans to do anything major for the game. They are working on another game and neglecting this game. It will reflect in subscriptions. 

edited June 2021
    username said:
    Bilbo said:

Literally answered everything. I want the UO team to develop the game they work for. Is that so much to ask? Maintenance mode is unacceptable. It's clear they do not have any plans to do anything major for the game. They are working on another game and neglecting this game. It will reflect in subscriptions. 
    Still will not answer the question.
    What do you want them to STOP doing so they can do what you want be specific?  What other game are they working on?
    Bilbo said:
    What do you want them to STOP doing so they can do what you want be specific?  What other game are they working on?
    Great trolling. A+
    username said: They are working on another game and neglecting this game. 

username said:
    Bilbo said:
    Great trolling. A+

What other game are they working on again?             

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    i think that he considers new legacy a different game
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    i think that he considers new legacy a different game
    I see the confusion then.  @username Same game, new shard and ruleset. 

And things that are popular in NL can be brought to live shards. So they are working on one game.
    Pawain said:
    And things that are popular in NL can be brought to live shards. So they are working on one game.
    including your characters, so yeah, same game.

username said:
    Bilbo said:
    Great trolling. A+

LMMFAO They are working on UO.  Did the UO Team leave and go to work for another company?  When did they leave?
    A++++++++++++++++ For being so clueless.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    Pawain said:

Hopefully a single-improved client is one of em
    So let me get this straight: new shard, new ruleset, but can't bring my existing anything there, or anything I own, so technically it only shares a same title as an "Ultima" game but it's the same game as Ultima Online? Ha, nice try. 

Sorry not interested in playing the new game, nor is anyone I know, so I guess what I get is either nothing or at best breadcrumbs from the new game? Yep, truly in maintenance mode.

I guess I will consider this thread done as my theory has been proven: we're just going to see the same 20 year old mechanics recycled to oblivion and some complacent idiots are ok with this.

Thank you for your time.  Bye Bye
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Lots of players like the old rule set.  I don’t really see a problem with the rule set itself.  Yes, it’s dated, graphic’s are old school, it’s spawn driven, and designed for team play not solo play.  But to be honest I enjoy playing with other players at the various events.
    Don’t quite see logic to new legacy.  Appears designed to bring back team play and the old player environment  that encouraged guilds to go war with one another.  Just don’t think there are that many potential new players that have that kind of time commitment.  See some older players with multiple accounts might enjoy it.  But I am a newer player with just one account and considering how long it took to create the players I already have I am not going to delete one of them to start anew on a shard does really does not appear to offer any long term benefits other than starting over again when the year ends.
    Wish them best of luck with NL but think it would be a better use of time and talent to have found ways to promote and improve what they already have.

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    username said:

There are bugs and its not perfect, but its far from being a nightmare.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,942Moderator
    closed by request