UO Store - Moving Crate

Moving into a new house is probably the most cumbersome task in this game.  Especially when you have a ton of stuff.   How about adding ability to highlight items and easily transport them to a new home? See mock-up below to get the general idea. This is just a basic mock-up.  I understand maybe not everything in a house can easily get selected but its still better than now.

1. Add moving crate(s)?9 votes
    1. Yes
      77.78%
    2. No
      22.22%

Comments

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    I think it would be great to get the option to pack a house into a moving crate, then unpack the moving crate in a new house… think of it like packing and unpacking a shard transfer, only for houses.
  • looploop Posts: 301
    edited June 2021
    The trouble here is that drag to select doesn't exist in the clients. This isn't just adding a new item to the Store. This is adding a new feature to the client, and it's difficult to say how they would gatekeep it behind a specific Store purchase and such a specific use case.

That is to say, drag to select is more fundamental and has broader usefulness (drag to pull multiple healthbars, for example). We know this is possible with illegal programs, and perhaps there's some clever way to do it by modding the EC.

However, I suspect the approach to the monetization of Store items is to require as little client-side work as possible.
  • DragoDrago Posts: 290
    loop said:
    The trouble here is that drag to select doesn't exist in the clients. This isn't just adding a new item to the Store. This is adding a new feature to the client, and it's difficult to say how they would gatekeep it behind a specific Store purchase and such a specific use case.

That is to say, drag to select is more fundamental and has broader usefulness (drag to pull multiple healthbars, for example). We know this is possible with illegal programs, and perhaps there's some clever way to do it by modding the EC.

However, I suspect the approach to the monetization of Store items is to require as little client-side work as possible.

If drag and select can't work, then ability to select multiple items.   This functionality already exists in the game (repair bench).   I included UO Store in thread subject so no one gets confused with existing moving crate thats in-game.   Also I think they would want to monetize a luxury feature such as this :)
    Drago said:
    loop said:

If drag and select can't work, then ability to select multiple items.   This functionality already exists in the game (repair bench).   I included UO Store in thread subject so no one gets confused with existing moving crate thats in-game.   Also I think they would want to monetize a luxury feature such as this :)

Yeah, just targeting one item after another would probably be more compatible with today's clients.

I know these posts are well-intentioned hints to Broadsword that "I would pay money for X," but I would argue that, since you're already paying a subscription for housing, we shouldn't consider preserving your time, reducing tedium, and saving your wrist from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome a luxury! :) In the same way that you can easily move a chest in your house via the 'Relocate Container' context menu, perhaps this really just ought to be a normal function of the existing Moving Crate (If it's not already. I admit I don't know how it works currently).
    loop said:
    Drago said:
    loop said:

Yeah, just targeting one item after another would probably be more compatible with today's clients.

I know these posts are well-intentioned hints to Broadsword that "I would pay money for X," but I would argue that, since you're already paying a subscription for housing, we shouldn't consider preserving your time, reducing tedium, and saving your wrist from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome a luxury! :) In the same way that you can easily move a chest in your house via the 'Relocate Container' context menu, perhaps this really just ought to be a normal function of the existing Moving Crate (If it's not already. I admit I don't know how it works currently).

Have to disagree.  If it makes broadsword money and doesn't manipulate gameplay mechanics / give players unfair advantage, I say go for it.   Loading + Hauling 100s of items takes several trips, especially if you have bulk resources for crafting.  This is convenience feature and i'm sure alot of people would pay for it.     
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    There's no profit here our population to low and you all don't move enough 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Slightly off topic but.

I hope everyone moving is using House Teleportation tiles when moving.
    edited June 2021

Drago said:
    loop said:
    Drago said:
    loop said:

Have to disagree.  If it makes broadsword money and doesn't manipulate gameplay mechanics / give players unfair advantage, I say go for it.   Loading + Hauling 100s of items takes several trips, especially if you have bulk resources for crafting.  This is convenience feature and i'm sure alot of people would pay for it.     

Yeah, I see your point, and I guess we just don't agree here. Personally I think it's unethical to keep the game as tedious as possible and potentially crippling and then monetize mechanics to escape awful design. They didn't charge extra for "Relocate Container", and they really shouldn't charge extra for this.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Merus said:
    I think it would be great to get the option to pack a house into a moving crate, then unpack the moving crate in a new house… think of it like packing and unpacking a shard transfer, only for houses.

I always wished it worked like this. It also makes the most sense. It’s called a moving crate. It should help you move your stuff. 
    loop said:
    Yeah, I see your point, and I guess we just don't agree here. Personally I think it's unethical to keep the game as tedious as possible and potentially crippling and then monetize mechanics to escape awful design. They didn't charge extra for "Relocate Container", and they really shouldn't charge extra for this.

I am in 100% agreement with you on this.  However because this game is so damn old, (devils advocate) ,  this feature would probably require some dev time and UO Store is their best return on investment.  As UO store is their top source of net income for this game.

Then again, maybe this feature wouldn't be that expensive; and gets introduced as a in-game reward ?  fingers crossed.
    edited June 2021
    Drago said:
    loop said:

I am in 100% agreement with you on this.  However because this game is so damn old, (devils advocate) ,  this feature would probably require some dev time and UO Store is their best return on investment.  As UO store is their top source of net income for this game.

Then again, maybe this feature wouldn't be that expensive; and gets introduced as a in-game reward ?  fingers crossed.
    Because the game is so old, they really shouldn't take their player base for granted by keeping the core design of the game terrible in exchange for extorting more money from their customers -- who are already paying a subscription for a 24-year-old game. Sure, there may be a short-term financial game in monetizing this, but how long can that last?

This isn't a knock on your idea, which I think is fine, but it seems like every other post on this forum is "Add X to the UO Store" without consideration of how exploitative the consequences can be. Imagine, for example, if you had to pay an additional $30 to use Vendor Search. Sure, many players would opt to purchase this, but as those players grow bored of the game and as new players are too resentful to make the purchase, what's left? I'd rather see UO retain its position as a vanguard of the MMO genre than dip further into cash-grab Mobile game territory, and I'd think we'd do well to send that message to the developers whenever we give them suggestions.
    loop said:
    Drago said:
    loop said:

Because the game is so old, they really shouldn't take their player base for granted by keeping the core design of the game terrible in exchange for extorting more money from their customers -- who are already paying a subscription for a 24-year-old game. Sure, there may be a short-term financial game in monetizing this, but how long can that last?

This isn't a knock on your idea, which I think is fine, but it seems like every other post on this forum is "Add X to the UO Store" without consideration of how exploitative the consequences can be. Imagine, for example, if you had to pay an additional $30 to use Vendor Search. Sure, many players would opt to purchase this, but as those players grow bored of the game and as new players are too resentful to make the purchase, what's left? I'd rather see UO retain its position as a vanguard of the MMO genre than dip further into cash-grab Mobile game territory, and I'd think we'd do well to send that message to the developers whenever we give them suggestions.

Again, devils advocate, but because EA/Mythic lost millions with KR,  introducing large change to this game is too risky from a business perspective.  I think thats part in parcel why the UO store was adopted (along with its now the norm in gaming).   Also, the fact that there are alot of 'add X to UO store '  is a testament that the paying playerbase doesn't want major changes to the game... (I disagree with this direction but thats a diff discussion).
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Tim said:
    Slightly off topic but.

I hope everyone moving is using House Teleportation tiles when moving.
    Yes we do put it still takes 5 packies and 1 blue bug plus your backpack to move everything.  Add 70 BOD Vendors on top of that and we talk about a good 3 days fro a fully loaded Castle LOL.
    loop said:
    Drago said:
    loop said:

Because this game is so old is exactly why they should make this a store item because to go in and rewrite the source code is a VERY BAD IDEA.  We do not have any devs here that were here when UO was written and there really isn't that many good notes on the source code.  PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE SOURCE CODE we have enough bugs as is.
    Drago said:
    loop said:
    Drago said:
    loop said:

Again, devils advocate, but because EA/Mythic lost millions with KR,  introducing large change to this game is too risky from a business perspective.  I think thats part in parcel why the UO store was adopted (along with its now the norm in gaming).   Also, the fact that there are alot of 'add X to UO store '  is a testament that the paying playerbase doesn't want major changes to the game... (I disagree with this direction but thats a diff discussion).
    With your logic EC would not exists.
    McDougle said:
    I just moved 3 Castles around and I would have use this feature hands down, esp when it comes to moving 70 full BOD Vendors from one castle to another.  875 Items per trip and forget about the fact that I had to deed a ton of resources takes forever.  Move resources to a comm deed box, deed, move box full of deeds, undeed, move resources to crafting station containers.  The time alone this moving create would save would be worth it.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Bilbo said:
    McDougle said:
    I just moved 3 Castles around and I would have use this feature hands down, esp when it comes to moving 70 full BOD Vendors from one castle to another.  875 Items per trip and forget about the fact that I had to deed a ton of resources takes forever.  Move resources to a comm deed box, deed, move box full of deeds, undeed, move resources to crafting station containers.  The time alone this moving create would save would be worth it

20 bucks a pop worth it ?

Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    edited June 2021
    McDougle said:
    Bilbo said:
    McDougle said:
    I just moved 3 Castles around and I would have use this feature hands down, esp when it comes to moving 70 full BOD Vendors from one castle to another.  875 Items per trip and forget about the fact that I had to deed a ton of resources takes forever.  Move resources to a comm deed box, deed, move box full of deeds, undeed, move resources to crafting station containers.  The time alone this moving create would save would be worth it

20 bucks a pop worth it ?

I probably would have done it just to save the time because when you swap 3 Castles you can't do one Castle at a time because of the item count, you have to round robin it and move a little at a time, A to B, B to C, C to A took over a week just to move all contents (with teleport tiles 3 sets) to say nothing about setting it all up again.  I converted a Castle from one build to another and alls I have to do was move the house moving create from one room to another.  How easy it would have been just to do it all at once from one Castle to another would have been worth the $60, so YES.