Population

What server does everyone play on? I just started playing and haven't played in 15 years. Napa Valley seems dead.... any suggestions

Comments

• PureLifePureLife Posts: 54
    atlantic
  • GemGem Posts: 37
    Atlantic is by far the busiest---lots of vendors and sales there.  With the ability to move items from shard to shard, it has become the default marketplace.

Great Lakes is still fairly busy.  Good community.

If you have items on Napa you wish to move to your new shard there are character transfer tokens.  If you ask around you can probably find a kind soul who will transfer them for you.

Welcome back, by the way.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    I was on Napa 3 hours ago and it was not dead.  Shout out in Gen Chat and let people know that you are a new/returning player.  Not all shards bank sit in Luna, they go play the game so you may not see them.  If you are on the West Coast log on to Pac and give a shout out.  Pac is the most active West Coast shard.  Make chars and spend a day on each shard to see what you like and how it fits your game play.
  • ShadeShade Posts: 5
    can you transfer characters? I have 7x gms on napa
  • SkettSkett Posts: 1,312
    Yes you can transfer to pac 
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited April 2018
    Shade said:
    can you transfer characters? I have 7x gms on napa
    Character Transfer

On the page linked above you can find some info about "Inter-Shard Mobility".
    Disregard the point about the Origin Store: now you can officially but CTT only ingame in the Online Store

NB: Just corrected the link above: now it points to the right info page, apologies.
    I.
  • JollyJadeJollyJade Posts: 578
    Shade said:
    What server does everyone play on? I just started playing and haven't played in 15 years. Napa Valley seems dead.... any suggestions

Atlantic is unfortunately your only choice if you want some decent population. And even Atlantic was thinning out a lot before EJ.

Just don't buy into the haters saying Atlantic is bad. It's just more people, so naturally also some more rotten apples.
    Just a troll who got told by lesser trolls (moderator classification)
  • InLorInLor Posts: 354
    Atlantic for US.

Europa for Europe.

A qua lemmúr wíste, an zen anku vol verde wís.
    JollyJade said:
    Shade said:

Atlantic is unfortunately your only choice if you want some decent population. And even Atlantic was thinning out a lot before EJ.

Just don't buy into the haters saying Atlantic is bad. It's just more people, so naturally also some more rotten apples.
    Don't believe them, we don't all bank sit in Luna we play the game.  Play where you want it is your right.
    wtf is luna what happened to everyone at brit bank? and whats with all these samri and other classes? whats the meta?
    Luna (Malas) became the new spot to congregate. Many still also congregate at West Brit Bank.  
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Luna is a town introduced in the 2003 expansion, Age of Shadows. It became a place to gather when a town invasion event made Brit somewhat unsafe. Luna is in a land mass called Malas, the other main town in that area is Umbra, new skills in that expansion were Chivalry and Necromancy
    In 2004 the Samurai Empire expansion added the Tokuno Islands, Ninjitsu and Bushido.
    In 2005 the Mondain's Legacy expansion added several new dungeons and Elves as a playable race.
    The time from 2009  to date is reviewed in the page https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/a-summary-for-returning-players/

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    InLor said:
    Atlantic for US.

Europa for Europe.

Why?  If I want to play alone I can on LS.  If I want to play with 5 others I can do that also.

You stay on Atlantic and keep your nose out of my business.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • PureLifePureLife Posts: 54
    Pawain said:
    InLor said:
    Atlantic for US.

Europa for Europe.

Why?  If I want to play alone I can on LS.  If I want to play with 5 others I can do that also.

But if you want to play with a group of more then 5 you need to play Atlantic. Any west coast server is good if you want to play solo as no one else plays those and a few of the east coast servers are capable of reaching 5 man groups.

If you want anything larger then a 5 man group Atlantic is your only option.
    PureLife said:
    Pawain said:
    InLor said:
    Atlantic for US.

Europa for Europe.

But if you want to play with a group of more then 5 you need to play Atlantic. Any west coast server is good if you want to play solo as no one else plays those and a few of the east coast servers are capable of reaching 5 man groups.

If you want anything larger then a 5 man group Atlantic is your only option.
    Not correct.  We have community events that often have more than 5.  Also there are more than 15 on in our guild often.  

We had 4 that went to help a guy do a level 7 T map last night.  Just so he could get a Cold Drake.

Many including me would rather not be in full parties doing something.  I think 5 is a good amount for anything.  Sometimes too many.
    edited April 2018
    6 at dragon turtle spawn right now.  And I have 2 with me at mage training pets.

No telling how many doing other stuff.  9 on my guild roster online.

You can not judge population if you do not know what things the members of a shard do.

If you just walk around Luna, it prob would look dead.

Now the PvPers showed up.  Chat is full...

• FatFat Posts: 97
    Napa is my home shard. I have 4-15 people in vent during prime time. There is another group on mumble with 3-7 people. I see other guilds doing stuff frequently.

You have several options:

1. Find a group to play with

2. Find a niche in the market

3. Play on multiple shards like most people on napa

• TeapotTeapot Posts: 58
    I'm on napa also, and while it is quiet especially on the weekdays, weekends usually has alot more group opportunities.  There's a few guilds that cater to newer players coming back like ours "UO Stratics".  Shout in general about it and I'm sure one of us will come help you out with anything.
    BUT BUT BUT The shards are dead, didn't you get the memo?
    edited April 2018
    Funny how it was the OP's felling that Napa seems dead and all of a sudden everyone jumps out of his hole to tell otherwise. 

Where were the Napa people when he was playing there? Is it so hard to accept that from the viewpoint of some returning player - that might have played other games in the meanwhile - most of the shards look dead?

I love UO, but I have no issue admitting that. The same old group of 10 people is just not considered a decent population by any means. 
    JollyJade said:
    Where were the Napa people when he was playing there?
    Maybe they were in bed because the OP never stated what time it was when he logged on.  He also never stated where he was at.  Unless he logs on at Luna in then it is %99.999 possible that he would not see anybody.  Did he bother getting into Gen Chat and let people that he was new/returning player.  15 years ago WBB was the hang out and if he logged out at the inn there then yea nobody was around.
    I just wonder how many returning players feel the same as the OP but just silently quit instead of making a forum post. I can totally relate. To bad UO never had a retention policy for shards dropping below a certain activity limit :(
    JollyJade said:
    I just wonder how many returning players feel the same as the OP but just silently quit instead of making a forum post. I can totally relate. To bad UO never had a retention policy for shards dropping below a certain activity limit :(
    Of course. I have heard from several players who logged in to their old favorite shard and never came back, because they thought UO is dead.

People get defensive about their shards, and can't see the truth that it's not a good experience for a new player and has a bad effect.

The vast majority of players want to play on a server that has a healthy population. And a handful of people, no matter how nice, is not a healthy population.

To be fair I live in the midwest but when i logged in it should have been prime time on west coast. Now that I went to luna or whatever the city i had no clue exsisted i did see people but still havent figured out this character transfer thing. 
  • SyncrosSyncros Posts: 116
    I dont know how some think UO is dead when the shards say how "full" they are when you are choosing the shard to play on.   ATL is usually med - full with GL and Europa trailing behind.  If that isnt a big enough cue to what state the shards are in then there's no helping them.
    if you play on classic client it doesnt show server pop

General Chat
    CC at the top you will see a Chat button - push it and highlight General and hit JOIN
    to talk use the ,  ( that is a comma) and you will see (lower left on screen) Chat: and type what you want then hit enter
    edited April 2018
    Shade said:
    if you play on classic client it doesnt show server pop
    On CC % full and scroll down, the most full is at the bottom excluding TC,  LOL the Asian Servers are all blowing out Atl

Also a thought on the Shard Transfer you might hold off on that because it really doesn't take long to make a 7XGM 
    You can sort on population in CC, but you can't reorder the list to show the most popular up top. And it won't show any term like the EC  (low-medium-full). Atlantic and Europa are number 1 and 2 (Asuka/Yamato for non-English shards), with shards like Oceania/Mugen/Legends/Drachefels/Legends/Origin being the emptiest almost any time you check.
    Why are people so concerned about other peoples playstyle?  I probably spent 8 years playing without talking in chat or playing with anybody.  Players know how active and populated their shard is.  If they want to play in a more populated or less populated shard then they can make a new toon on a new shard and pay for a mythic token.

It seems like some of you have a population obsession.  Maybe you should log in more often and PLAY and stop concerning yourself with other players you do not know.

BS knows the populations.  They will decide if a server needs closed.  It is not possible to merge shards.

If you log onto LS and yell out in chat that the shard is dead.  We will make it Dead to you.  Since you want a self fulfilling prophesy.
This discussion has been closed.