EC vs CC running/cornering speed

MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
Are they going to make the running/cornering speeds in the EC match those of CC? I'm not saying that they should remove the auto navigate, i'm sure it's possible to auto navigate at the speed of the CC client.

When you play CC and you watch someone run in a circle on EC, they skip around the screen, Can't even pull their bar to target them.

This game is garbage that you have one client faster than the other. Why do none of the devs talk about it? and why does nobody even mention it in the meet and greets?
I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

Comments

• My biggest complaint currently; features lacking in CC + UO Assist v EC is one thing, but the disparity in speed is a HUGE deal.  

Part of difference in the way movement is handled in EC v CC, I think, also contributes to the issue that where the CC user sees the EC user is usually not the tile he’s actually on.  
  • player1player1 Posts: 1
    I'm really glad this is getting talked about. One solution I'm sure is being discussed or has been discussed for years is just killing one of the clients. That must make development easier and fix all kinds of other problems.

What other games have 2 clients anyway with different graphics and interfaces? It must be ridiculous to maintain both.

What do you think it would take for people to feel good about getting rid of one of the clients?

I have no idea how many people use what client. Maybe 90% of the game uses EC now and only a few pvpers use CC now--no idea.
  • MerlinMerlin Posts: 199
    Leave running and cornering as is. 
  • SmootSmoot Posts: 389
    general consensus is its around 60%Classic 40%EC.

I dont know of anyone who plays EC for the graphics, most play for the UI / functionality.  and i dont think many CC users would complain about more functionality and a cleaned up UI. (im sure there are some players that would complain about both)

In an ideal world, i think the the classic graphics, but in hi-res with a modern UI and functionality would have made the most players happy, but at the time EA's reasoning was to try to compete with the graphics of the other games.  which was an absolute failure.  EC graphics were oudated even when released, ten years ago.  And the CC graphics are held back by having to function in EC as well.

ECs differences in the macro system are essential a built in lua script program, which gives CC users the "excuse" that its ok to use third party programs to script.  Same with the EC functionality.  Theres such big differences that third party "cheat" programs are accepted by many because many of those features are in the Enhanced client already. 

Its a bad situation all around.  i cant see the resources existing now to finalize 1 client, but always room for hope.  i didnt think UO would even be around this long so who knows what the future holds for the game.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited March 2018

Delete EC.

I'm learning it, to play a pvp dexxer, and it's still pretty horrendous. It has no soul. It has no art. It has no skill.

Most people I know who play it, think it's horrible, and should be deleted also. They play it because they are forced to.

Delete EC, improve some CC functionality.

You'd lose 20% of the playerbase, and gain 1,000,000,000%. Fair trade.

• MerionMerion Posts: 2
    Don't touch the EC!

It is a horribly idea to drag down the only halfway modern and usable client down to the level of a 20 year old programm with terrible UI!
    Need some tipps? See if any of these UOTutorials are suitable!

Tired of exploring Drachenfels alone? Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm

• PapaSmurfPapaSmurf Posts: 112
    Cookie said:

Delete EC.

I'm learning it, to play a pvp dexxer, and it's still pretty horrendous. It has no soul. It has no art. It has no skill.

Most people I know who play it, think it's horrible, and should be deleted also. They play it because they are forced to.

Curious, who "Forces" them to play it? 

PapaSmurf said:
    Cookie said:

Delete EC.

Curious, who "Forces" them to play it? 

Hiya,

The speed differential in abilities, the cornering differential, all of the added bonus functionality in EC sort of force players to use EC if they want to be competitive - and of course, the whole point of pvp is to be competitive. So we are in a situation many players are forced to use EC, even though they hate it, because they need the speed. The other option is to quit pvp, which I'm seriously considering now, but this is a shame, as UO is renowned for it's fast paced fun pvp In CC - it's the whole reason many of us play, or have such fond memories.

Even in pvm EC has functionality that Sampires who solo all game content require, you wouldn't try the stuff they do in CC. (usually).

The constant conflict between EC v CC is driving players away from the game.

Delete EC, as I said, we would lose 20% of the playerbase, and probably gain 200% at least.

I did also say, some more functionality needs to be added into CC, so people who like the functionality of EC would not lose out, and we would all gain.

But CC has nostalgia retro graphics, which is very on trend at the moment.

Old players want to come back for CC,  not EC, they wont come back for EC.

New players want the original - not EC - games these days, are deliberately designed with old graphics quite often, to get that "feel". It is accepted that if you put all your focus into graphics, you don't get content, and players want content. Otherwise the game   only lasts 5 minutes.

EC is halfway modern - but this in itself is a failure, it is only halfway modern, either go full modern, or go back to the original - don't get stuck in the middle, it's the worst of both worlds. Sometimes, old is better. The only people stuck in EC are those who came somewhere in the middle, and bought into this flop - or a bunch of speed junkies who have no sense of taste, soul or style.

Bite the bullet, make bold brave decisions, you will be respected and rewarded for it.

Delete EC.

• Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Mervyn said:
    Are they going to make the running/cornering speeds in the EC match those of CC? I'm not saying that they should remove the auto navigate, i'm sure it's possible to auto navigate at the speed of the CC client.

When you play CC and you watch someone run in a circle on EC, they skip around the screen, Can't even pull their bar to target them.

This game is garbage that you have one client faster than the other. Why do none of the devs talk about it? and why does nobody even mention it in the meet and greets?

You should give the EC a try, it also pulls the healthbar for you B)
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    Cookie said:

Delete EC.

Actually I'm thinking that if EJ brings back enough players, there's a slight chance the CC will get dropped since the revenue from EJ might make up for the loss of revenue in CC players that have threatened to quit if it's ever dropped.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
     Garth_Grey said:

Actually I'm thinking that if EJ brings back enough players, there's a slight chance the CC will get dropped since the revenue from EJ might make up for the loss of revenue in CC players that have threatened to quit if it's ever dropped.

Please don't tell me you use EC?

You've seemed like a really sensible guy up until that moment!

Everyone has a bad fashion moment I guess...

Anyways, I know people can have completely opposite viewpoints, and that's how it is.

I am 100% certain I am right though in my logic. :*

• DJAdDJAd Posts: 290
    Smoot said:
    In an ideal world, i think the the classic graphics, but in hi-res with a modern UI and functionality would have made the most players happy
    Yep, I don't know why they don't just put the CC graphics inside the EC UI. I think from memory Mervyn made a rough mock up of something like this before on the "other" forum.

The graphics are terrible in BOTH clients to today's standards so the whole fight about this is moot. People complain they get motion sickness from the EC?? Maybe they need an eye test. I'm sure people get eye strain from everything in the CC being so small...

Then there is the whole nostalgia thing. Who cares? Move with the times. You don't see people driving around in old cars unless they are going on a car rally or something. People drive new cars because of the FEATURES they offer. The features in the EC outweigh the CC by miles.

Maybe the fact that people seem to be faster in the EC is one of the features it offers? We would have to wait and see what one of the developers says about this.
  • TimTim Posts: 790
    Just to get my vote in 

I don't play pvp (I don't enjoy pvp so why should I play that small portion of the game other then to provide a victim for someone)

One of the reasons I play UO and not one of the others is "the look" comes way behind content
    If looks mater that much I'd be playing some other game or surfing the photo sites
    So please don't base CC v EC fights on the look. They have better places to spend the $ and time on.

PS have they ever said what percentage play PvP or PvM
  • SwordofExcaliburSwordofExcalibur Posts: 95
    edited March 2018
    I’ll keep this simple.

Pull the plug on CC.

EC in 4K is faster, p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶i̶e̶r̶ fluid, and easier to use.

Do you want to fly a paper airplane or fly an F-16?

Thank you.  That is all.
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Cookie said:

Delete EC.

EJ is F2P so where are you getting all this REVENUE from.  Please tell us what all is going to be sold and what the prices are.  While you are at it could you also tell us all the restrictions EJ will/will not have.
  • SwordofExcaliburSwordofExcalibur Posts: 95
    edited March 2018
    Bilbo said:
    Cookie said:

Delete EC.

EJ is F2P so where are you getting all this REVENUE from.  Please tell us what all is going to be sold and what the prices are.  While you are at it could you also tell us all the restrictions EJ will/will not have.
    Lol.  Speculations and salt shaker caps.
    Dennis the Peasant: "Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony." 
    Arthur: "Be quiet!" 
    Dennis: "You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!” 
    Monty Python & the Holy Grail
    Bilbo said:
    Cookie said:

Delete EC.

Lol.  Speculations and salt shaker caps.
    LMFAO  You owe me a keyboard and a cup of coffee, but thanks for the good laugh.
  • DavoDavo Posts: 46

I asked a rocket scientist and he stated the only solution is to have both clients the same speed. he also stated having one client faster then the other would be a way to get people to quit and could justify going to just one client. this isn't rocket science people, make clients same speed. 

• TanagerTanager Posts: 634
    UO is the grandpappy of MMOs. They were inventing code. More efficient ways of writing code, and better tools to do so, have been invented since then, but it's very difficult to go back and unravel the CC code to improve it. So they made a far better client... but the first few renditions had massive issues and a huge chunk of the player base were traumatized. Many started their MMO life with UO and have never even seen a modern client. They like their UOA and UOAM and let's face it, a lot of folks secretly like other 3rd party programs they will not confess to. The only reason those programs work is because the newly invented code for UO was not perfect. It was hacked, and has been impossible to secure ever since.

EC has its flaws, but almost all EC settings can be made legacy. Containers, the Paperdoll, targeting, chat. Everything in fact, except some artwork. Do THAT many people really play UO because of its art? Is the ART really worth the trouble of maintaining two clients?

It would make me sad to see my gorgeous Cu walking like she has wooden legs, but I could deal with it if it meant putting an end to this constant squabble over clients. Make all EC art in the CC style. Make all new EC user settings default as CC and folks can adjust upwards to what is comfortable to them. Add the CC's impossible to read journal for folks who like it. EC can incorporate everything that CC can for the nostalgic folks - except the cheats. EC is capable of having ALL that CC has, but still offer the benefits of a modern user interface. Everyone can be happy this way... except scripters.

And then do what needs to be done to bring Ultima Online into the 21st century.

• cobbcobb Posts: 172
    I agree that the speed advantage in EC is a big issue.  This problem should have been addressed a long time ago. 
  • MervynMervyn Posts: 2,208
    It is clearly not supposed to be a feature that you can effectively run faster in EC than CC, in fact, people denied that you could when the EC first came out, before someone discovered it was the cornering code that was the issue. 
    I tell you the truth, tis better to do 10 damage on the right target than 100 damage on the wrong target.

Breaking in the young since 2002

I believe the solution is to either remove the auto navigate around obstacles feature in the EC or add that feature to the CC. The cornering should work the same way in both clients. The Devs supposedly capped the movement speed to promote fairness of play. So it would only make sense to address the cornering issue as well.  
  • sec_goatsec_goat Posts: 1
    Just weighing in on CC vs EC. Came back after 10 years fully prepared to play CC as it was all I knew. I absolutely cannot see anything using it, on my monitor players rate tiny specs as is everything else. I like the ability to zoom in a bit on EC, otherwise I would be unable to play at all. 

How are you all dealing with the tiny tiny graphics in CC?

• IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    Pull the plug to CC and update the graphic of EC at least to KR standard.
    My 2 GPs.
    I.

And just to add some gas to the fire
    Is there any other game out there that tries to maintain 2 clients?
    If I were running UO at the time it would have been "This is the new client enjoy and let us know what you would like added to it".
    Just think of all the resources and time that would have been available for other things rather then trying to keep two sets of player happy. 
    LOL Hear we go again with the CCvEC BS.  Mesanna has already that there are 2 things that will NEVER happen. Shard Mergers and closing the CC so get over it.  The EC UI is much better that the CC UI but the EC has the ugggggliest graphics there is.  Closing either client will kill UO.  LONG LIVE THE CC
    I don't really care what client you use or if you cheat  to "win" a game that has no end.

My point was really the same as yours.
    Due to past history we are in a world of 2 clients competing for resources so quit complaining and accept that everything can't be fixed.

PS My dream is to win the lottery and ask Mesanna  how much to rewrite the core code and a new modern client with the best of both with a Mac client. Really we can't drag and select in this day and age?
    Nobody is asking to kill any clients. We just want the movement to be the same way, so it is fair in pvp.
    edited March 2018
    cobb said:
    Nobody is asking to kill any clients. We just want the movement to be the same way, so it is fair in pvp.
    Ivenor said:
    Pull the plug to CC and update the graphic of EC at least to KR standard.
    My 2 GPs.
    I.

Tim said:
    And just to add some gas to the fire
    Is there any other game out there that tries to maintain 2 clients?
    If I were running UO at the time it would have been "This is the new client enjoy and let us know what you would like added to it".
    Just think of all the resources and time that would have been available for other things rather then trying to keep two sets of player happy. 

Really  Didn't take long for it to happen.
    It was stated in the latest newsletter that they are planning on adding some new features to the CC. So it would be a good time to add the auto navigation around obstacles feature.