Pet Oddities

1 - Why is the path finding code for a monster different than a pet? When I’m taming a Cu Sidhe  and Aggros on me he follows me around everything. Once tamed and following me he gets stuck going around rock formations and trees.  

2- Why does a pet stop following you when you feed it!?  He follows you around but drop food on his head and he starts wandering around and you have to command him again. 

3- Why are pet vendor fees so high? It’s nearly impossible to make any money vendoring pets on non ATL shards.  Most stalls are empty because of this. 

4- When a pet is engaged with two monsters and attacking monster A - I tell it to kill monster B. He attacks once then goes back to A. Why? I want him to kill the lesser foe first for his own good. 

Tagged:

Comments

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Agree with 1, 2, 4, but I am not too sure about 3 as the price seems ok for me.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • psychopsycho Posts: 284
    edited May 2021
    what Ive noticed is that if you say "all follow me" the pet is dumb as a rock and get stuck,
    however if you say "all kill" it finds its way just fine around the same obstacles.

:D

On your question 4 I think the answer is area damage, if a pet attacks A, then cast area damage on A and B, it hits B last and pet will move to this target. 

Other AI oddities is the spellweaving on a pet, it tries to cast WoD when the opponent is full hp.

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited May 2021
    “There is a pet path finding command that is missing from the context menu, a bug report was raised June 2018, 
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/1698/pet-pathfinding#latest “
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    Yoshi said:
    “There is a pet path finding command that is missing from the context menu, a bug report was raised June 2018, 
    https://forum.uo.com/discussion/1698/pet-pathfinding#latest “

That is nice, so saying "name come", the pet path find to the owner...
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    #4 For the same reason as you do when auto defending yourself, it is the way the program picks the most dangerous mob to kill/defend against.  Please do not suggest they rewrite the source code, we have enough bugs now.
  • TheoTheo Posts: 169
    To add to the list...

5 - Why do pets spawn with a space in their names like 'a cu sidhe' but then you can't rename them with a space??  Why the limitation?  If I don't keep it a 3 name pet like 'A White Dog' you can never make it three names again.  Makes no sense. 
  • MedeaMedea Posts: 9
    Theo said:
    To add to the list...

5 - Why do pets spawn with a space in their names like 'a cu sidhe' but then you can't rename them with a space??  Why the limitation?  If I don't keep it a 3 name pet like 'A White Dog' you can never make it three names again.  Makes no sense. 
    Yes, you can. Just use the EC client to do it.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Or don't mess with the spaces and you can write over the name in CC. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TheoTheo Posts: 169
    edited May 2021
    Pawain said:
    Or don't mess with the spaces and you can write over the name in CC. 
    I wasn't asking for a work around - I'm asking why you can add spaced in EC but not CC. Bad coding. Should be fixed.  There is no reason I can't name my pet The Best One Ever. Its a 20 year old poor coding mistake that never got fixed.   The point is if you name it to 'Fred'  you can never go back to 'A Cu Sidhe'.   And don't get me started on how easy it is to go into 'rename mode' when clicking on a pet to apply a bandie in heavy combat.  I just want to apply a bandage and suddenly i'm editing the name. If ever there was something that should be on the context menu - rename pet is it.  

Oh how I wish you people were our customers.  Able to put up with annoyingly simple to fix bugs for 20 years on end.   
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Then post in the bugs forum.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Please do not mess with the CC Coding this is only a problem to a select few, the rest of the Tamers have know problem and know how to heal their pets..  @Theo why are you waiting until you are in heavy combat to get you pets health bar up, it should have been up all along.