Why you banned EJ from all chats?

I tried help chat on Atlantic today. There is nothing except Avatars or other RMTs. You banned them from General Chat and now they are abusing Help one. General chat is much better  now.  
Why EJ accounts are unable to use General (and other ) chats at least in a read-only mode? Currently for EJ's this  game looks really dead. You cannot find where are activities, who is gathering party to fight something.  I think it will affect how many new players we will get in the future. 
also because you cannot connect 2 or more chats, there are no people in Help one. Even if some newbie EJ will yell there- no help will come. 
  1. Allow EJ to use general chat in read-only mode?20 votes
    1. Yes, I like this idea
      45.00%
    2. No , i dont want them to see what secrets I am posting there.
      55.00%

Comments

• JackFlashUkJackFlashUk Posts: 883
    Simple. Pay your subs like the rest of us and enjoy the benefits 
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Do you realize the 99.9 % of the EJ "accounts" are just alts of paying accounts? Most of which are only to "help" the paying accounts in various ways, right?

Also you need a 3rd option:

3) No. If they want to see general chat they need to pay for the account. 
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    It is unfortunate new players are stuck with the help channel where no one is there to help them. 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    I tend to think helpers who want to help are in fact in the help channel.....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I played an EJ account because I was not willing to commit to paying a subscription fee after just playing a game for two weeks.  I don’t know how to cheat the game and don’t much care to learn.  From what I’ve seen you need to be fairly familiar with programming to be able to comprehend the commands the third party programs use.  Sorry to hear EJ accounts are being abused by I am assuming mostly by long time players that have learned how to use those programs.
    On my shard the player base appears to consist mostly of old time players that developed their characters a long time ago and are playing the game because they enjoy playing the game.  Maybe it’s different on Atlantic but really can’t see these players needing to buy anything from players using EJ accounts to cheat the game.
    Agree with Gwen the game needs newer players if it has any hope of surviving.  It’s older player base is not going to last forever.  With so many free options available, UO needs EJ accounts to compete for new players.  Don’t know the solution but in a game already quite biased against newer players in almost every respect making the game more untenable to prospective new players is not the answer.
    Maybe try contacting some players that have gone from EJ accounts to subscription accounts.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Some can't see past their cheat blinders to understand that EJ did bring paying accounts. Not sure it can now.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    I started playing as EJ 2 years ago. Dont tell me you enter your credit card number everywhere ? :)
     I dont wanted to pay for the game if it will lag or not fun anymore.  It is online game. You are supposed to see people communicate. And I really want to see more people come to this game. 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    edited May 2021
    Gwen said:
    I started playing as EJ 2 years ago. Dont tell me you enter your credit card number everywhere ? :)
     I dont wanted to pay for the game if it will lag or not fun anymore.  It is online game. You are supposed to see people communicate. And I really want to see more people come to this game. 
    So you have been playing for free for 2 years and you think that if you pay it will lag or not be fun,  what a strange concept.

Do you buy anything online?  Do you use a CC/Debit Card at a store?  Is your EJ account just the basic account?

You want to play for free without supporting UO, good thing others pay for UO to keep it going so you can play for TWO years for free.  Honestly you have been here long enough to decide to support UO or not and if you do not want to support UO than you need to accept what you get for free or giver UO some money for your free ride.
  • Victim_Of_SiegeVictim_Of_Siege Posts: 1,797
    Bilbo said:
    Gwen said:
    So you have been playing for free for 2 years and you think that if you pay it will lag or not be fun,  what a strange concept.

Do you buy anything online?  Do you use a CC/Debit Card at a store?  Is your EJ account just the basic account?

You want to play for free without supporting UO, good thing others pay for UO to keep it going so you can play for TWO years for free.  Honestly you have been here long enough to decide to support UO or not and if you do not want to support UO than you need to accept what you get for free or giver UO some money for your free ride.
    Kinda what I was thinking, They want more people to play UO but not pay for it. a little counter productive in my opinion. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    To be fair... if she can post on these boards she needs to have a paid account so it would seem she has at least one paid account. 
    WOW You got us on that one @keven2002.
    I think they are saying they wanted to play for free to see how the lag was, if any, and if they found the game to be fun in the long term before subscribing. They clearly subscribed at some point. They said they were EJ 2 years ago, not EJ for 2 years. 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    I played for eight months before subscribing.  Starting from scratch it just took that long.  EJ accounts can’t have vendors to generate gold and the storage limitations really suck.  But the EJ account allowed me to experience most of what the game had to offer with a character that had grandmastered most skills in it’s template.
    dvvid said:
    I think they are saying they wanted to play for free to see how the lag was, if any, and if they found the game to be fun in the long term before subscribing. They clearly subscribed at some point. They said they were EJ 2 years ago, not EJ for 2 years. 
    Yep, after reading it 5 more times i think i mostly get their point. and mostly agree with it.

• MerusMerus Posts: 656
    I’m not sure what downside there would be to EJ having listen only privileges to GC.  
    Merus said:
    I’m not sure what downside there would be to EJ having listen only privileges to GC.  
    Likewise
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Merus said:
    Total frustration?  Need help, but can't ask for it?  See someone selling something you'd like to buy? Can't offer for it.  What would they learn from read only? How to trash talk?

I'm not sure what the answer is, but I don't think that's it. 

In my 'coding ignorance' solution I would have a list of 'approved' urls that is was ok to post and anything else would be either blocked or automatically shunted to Trade channel. On my list I'd have uo.com, uoguide, stratics, uo-cah and knuckleheads.  Maybe discord? and possibly there are asian sites that are often referenced?
    I'm not sure that's at all possible, but if it was, then genuine EJ players could again have access to general chat.
    Merus said:
    Total frustration?  Need help, but can't ask for it?  See someone selling something you'd like to buy? Can't offer for it.  What would they learn from read only? How to trash talk?

In my 'coding ignorance' solution I would have a list of 'approved' urls that is was ok to post and anything else would be either blocked or automatically shunted to Trade channel. On my list I'd have uo.com, uoguide, stratics, uo-cah and knuckleheads.  Maybe discord? and possibly there are asian sites that are often referenced?
    I'm not sure that's at all possible, but if it was, then genuine EJ players could again have access to general chat.
    So if you have to choose between no access or listen only access, you prefer no access.  Gotcha.

Perhaps seeing the conversation in GC like you describe would be incentive to get a sub... but better to relegate them to help only so they only get to see the RMT spam.
    Merus said:
    Merus said:

So if you have to choose between no access or listen only access, you prefer no access.  Gotcha.

Perhaps seeing the conversation in GC like you describe would be incentive to get a sub... but better to relegate them to help only so they only get to see the RMT spam.
    Not what she said at all. She said that in her opinion they should only let approved sites through and the others blocked or put to trade chat. And then she said “then genuine EJ players could again have have access to general chat”. 

edited May 2021
    Merus said:
    Merus said:

She also said that in her opinion that it would be total frustration and I %10000000000 agree.
    Merus said:
    Merus said:

Not what she said at all. She said that in her opinion they should only let approved sites through and the others blocked or put to trade chat. And then she said “then genuine EJ players could again have have access to general chat”. 
    Right now EJ have no access to GC.  The OP suggested giving them listen only access.  I said that I don’t see what harm that would cause (given they have no access now).  Petra claimed there is harm in that change... so it is exactly what she said.
    How did Free Trial Accounts survive for so many years when alls they had was Help and had far more restrictions on them than EJ Accounts have.  They should have just taken the 2 week limit off Trial Accounts and we would not have all these problems with EJ Accounts and RMT spammers.
    Bilbo said:
    Merus said:
    Merus said:

She also said that in her opinion that it would be total frustration and I %10000000000 agree.
    For those who find it frustrating they can always stay in the help channel.  Additional access is not mandatory, that’s a silly assumption.
    I have been in Help Chat on Atl for 30 min and saw a conversation between 3 people, 1 new and 2 helping him and ONE, I repeat ONE RMT spam that did not hurt the conversation one bit so all those people screaming that nobody is in Help Chat helping true new players and RMTs are jamming up Help is %100 WRONG
    Merus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Merus said:
    Merus said:

For those who find it frustrating they can always stay in the help channel.  Additional access is not mandatory, that’s a silly assumption.
    And you assuming you know %100 your opinion is the only true opinion/fact is funny.  Yes it would be very frustrating to see something for sell that you really want and you can not tell the seller that you want it.  Or a true new player thinking about joining UO and all they see is the hate speech on Gen Chat with all the PvPers going at it.  That's is a real good way to promote UO to new players.
    Bilbo said:
    Merus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Merus said:
    Merus said:

And you assuming you know %100 your opinion is the only true opinion/fact is funny.  Yes it would be very frustrating to see something for sell that you really want and you can not tell the seller that you want it.  Or a true new player thinking about joining UO and all they see is the hate speech on Gen Chat with all the PvPers going at it.  That's is a real good way to promote UO to new players.
    Your post makes no sense.  No where did I say my opinion was the only one that mattered.  I acknowledged that Petra preferred no access to GC over listen access to GC, which seems to be your opinion as well.

I disagree that anyone would be forced to use GC anymore than any of us are now.  Knowing what kinds of things people sale in GC is probably better for most people than being completely oblivious to those things because you are barred from even seeing them.  If it’s a source of frustration you can either sub or leave GC.
    Merus said:
    Merus said:
    Merus said:

Right now EJ have no access to GC.  The OP suggested giving them listen only access.  I said that I don’t see what harm that would cause (given they have no access now).  Petra claimed there is harm in that change... so it is exactly what she said.
    And she was suggesting a way for them to get full access. Yes she said that the “harm” was frustration on the Ej account only seeing and not being able to reply. But she is is for them having access to GC. @Petra_Fyde am I right or wrong here?  

ONE hour Help Chan 3 RMT spams and TWO help requests that were taken care of by Atl Players that must be monitoring Help Chan, so where is the problem.  Help is being provided and RMT spam is not interfering with it.
    Merus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Merus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Merus said:
    Merus said:

Your post makes no sense.  No where did I say my opinion was the only one that mattered.  I acknowledged that Petra preferred no access to GC over listen access to GC, which seems to be your opinion as well.

I disagree that anyone would be forced to use GC anymore than any of us are now.  Knowing what kinds of things people sale in GC is probably better for most people than being completely oblivious to those things because you are barred from even seeing them.  If it’s a source of frustration you can either sub or leave GC.
    Help is being provided to the largest shard so all of your claims have been shot down.  New players will not be able to afford stuff being spammed in GC and seeing those prices would discourage any new player.  The stuff New Players are looking for are being provided in Help by Players for free, like basic gear, spellbooks, runebooks to get started and learn the game.  Does EJ Accounts have access to VS?
    Bilbo said:
    Merus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Merus said:
    Bilbo said:
    Merus said:
    Merus said:

Help is being provided to the largest shard so all of your claims have been shot down.  New players will not be able to afford stuff being spammed in GC and seeing those prices would discourage any new player.  The stuff New Players are looking for are being provided in Help by Players for free, like basic gear, spellbooks, runebooks to get started and learn the game.  Does EJ Accounts have access to VS?
    You are talking about “new players”.  That is not the same as EJ accounts, even though there is likely some overlap.  I would wager the vast majority of EJ accounts are not true new players, but more likely previously paid accounts now being played for free.