looploop Posts: 301
1. Switch to Peacemaking mastery
2. Equip antique jewelry
3. Cast Resilience
4. Cast Perseverance
5. Open paperdoll
6. Hover over jewelry
7. Observe durability loss

Expected: Antique items only lose durability during combat.

Comments

• Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,021
    Antique items lose durability when spell casting, you don't have to be in combat.

The masteries act as spells being continuously cast, with a check at each upkeep tic.
    -Arroth
  • looploop Posts: 301
    Antique items lose durability when spell casting, you don't have to be in combat.

The masteries act as spells being continuously cast, with a check at each upkeep tic.

Thanks. I was going off the description for 'Antique' on UOGuide, which could be outdated. I'm not sure how these items used to work back when they were the 'Ephemeral' property, but Publish 77 indicates the loss only occurred in active combat at that time.

In practice, this durability loss makes playing a bard even less desirable, and I wonder what the design purpose was for making casting in any circumstance apply durability loss. It strikes me as an oversight.
  • Arroth_ThaielArroth_Thaiel Posts: 1,021
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, I have to be careful when running Antique with my bards. Once you get used to the durability loss, it's not too bad, but you do have to manage it. Honestly, you can get a lot of playtime out of a piece of Antique gear, but I am still always on the lookout for ways to replace the Antique, just so I don't have to think about repairing it.

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect that when you're casting most spells you're fighting. So instead of breaking out fighting vs. non-fighting spells they just wrote the code as "when casting, durability check".
    -Arroth
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Ya while standing in Luna I was just strumming an instrument to gain music.
    My antique ring almost went to 0/0.
    Don't wear antique while skill training.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.