New Legacy: Champion Spawns

I understand that the UO forums are probably not the best place to get support for this as most are already against champion spawns being located in Felucca to begin with. I believe as of the last live stream the development team was still undecided about including champion spawns.

I would like to see Champion Spawns be present in New Legacy. I understand that you do not want powerscrolls on New Legacy to keep the entry point into the game to a minimum and that is fine and understandable. A champion spawn is one of the few objective based PvP encounters currently available to players and it would be a shame for this to be lost.

In my opinion champion spawns promote PvP growth and get new players to participate. 2002 I think champion spawns were introduced almost 20 years ago they've been a part of this game.  New Rewards could be implemented that will make doing them desirable to replace the powerscrolls. Vanity items like Hair Dyes, Mounts, Titles, Decorations, Transmogs. Or maybe could even make potions that remove negative armor properties like Antique, Cursed, Brittle, 125stones that won't function on New Legacy but will be transferable to live shards and be high value. I would say to also keep the harrower and allow stat scrolls to drop. The more variety available the better increasing the rarity of drops. I am sure some players have even better suggestions for replacement items for powerscrolls then I can think of.

Since the plan is to keep the Original World a suggestion I saw  was to also include T2A (the lost lands) as a Vice versus Virtue only zone where champion spawns are located. This is a huge open world zone that can be a PvP playground with all kinds of terrain for battles might even get a sea battle to break out. This keeps the limited space in dungeons to regular PvM content and provides Vice versus Virtue players a space to PvP without interference from blues.

It is of my opinion that on a seasonal shard even people that want to focus primarily on a PvP playstyle should be able to earn rewards and memento's to take with them after New Legacy. With rewards on the line in a PVP setting like champion spawns it gives guilds a reason to recruit players to compete with the top guilds on the shard giving players of all skills levels an opportunity to get into a guild and participate growing PvP for the game.

If the only form of PvP is going to be Yew Gate then I feel it will alienate many players and entire guilds from coming back. I am finding it a tough sell to my friends to return when the only promise of PvP that will be available is fighting at the Yew Gate. Including Champion Spawns will really help convince some to give this seasonal shard a chance.

Comments

• CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 866
    I do agree.

However, if cheating is going to be a prominent part of UO:NL as it is currently on live shards, it probably won't matter tbh.

Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited April 2021
    Long..... looooong... time ago, it was fun to have a mass fight at the cemetery just after server announces shut down for maintenance. No whiners will emerge from that fun fight, every one dies happily either by the sword or spell or the server power...
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Why would we need champ spawns, did some body hear that there was going to be Power Scrolls, if so that is news to the rest of us.  There is no Fel/Tram it is one land and it will be consensual PvP.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    One reason might be because they are great for skill training new characters..
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Seth said:
    Long..... looooong... time ago, it was fun to have a mass fight at the cemetery just after server announces shut down for maintenance. No whiners will emerge from that fun fight, every one dies happily either by the sword or spell or the server power...
    Yep these were some of the most fun times. There wasn't insurance in those days so it was fun putting on your best gear and getting involved in the massive fighting. This was also before scripting too so PvP was much more fun (in my opinion).
  • keven2002 said:
    Seth said:
    Yep these were some of the most fun times. There wasn't insurance in those days so it was fun putting on your best gear and getting involved in the massive fighting. This was also before scripting too so PvP was much more fun (in my opinion).

Insurance came out with Age of Shadows (according to both my own memory and the relevant article on UO Guide), which was in 2003. The most-famous scripting program (according to an article on fandom.com) came out in 2000.

(I'm not sure if I would be allowed to link to the fandom article on account of it by definition naming the program. But the UO Guide link is: https://www.uoguide.com/Item_Insurance)

I remember complaints about cheating, hacking, speed-hacking, and whatnot in PvP going back a very long time in UO. I don't recall if there were specific complaints about scripting but to the degree that you mean cheating in general versus scripting in particular, know that complaints about cheating (both true and not true) are as old as PvP itself.

There are debates over how much gear mattered in PvP before the Age of Shadows expansion. However, at minimum, gear was a lot easier to replace because there weren't as many customizable combinations of properties.

So putting your gear on the line definitely meant something in those days, to be sure. Especially if you're talking about after the new ores and new leathers.

But it didn't mean as much as it does now when one can spend a very long time building a heavily customized suit that there just may not be a way to replace.

• AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 237
    PvP definitely needs a draw for group PvP to see growth on NL. Guilds like HOT are essential for the game so every player that wants to participate can find a willing guild to join. If NL offers nothing for large guild warfare it will be a disappointment. In almost 25 years the only PvP content that offered large scale organized group PvP have been Factions and Champion Spawns. Factions are long gone and been replaced by a system of VVV that has no depth behind it. And now at risk of not having champion spawns on NL. You are not even able to Player-Kill people on this server so options for PvP outside of the yew moongate are sounding very limited.

Champion Spawns do not need to provide PowerScrolls there are many other options that can replace them but the draw of large scale guild fights needs to be present.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 237
    Bilbo said:
    Why would we need champ spawns, did some body hear that there was going to be Power Scrolls, if so that is news to the rest of us.  There is no Fel/Tram it is one land and it will be consensual PvP.

As far as I know the dev's were still undecided on powerscrolls leaning towards not including them to keep the game with a lower point of entry for all players. It was already stated by the OP that since there is no Fel/Tram split that is why T2A would be a zone that only players in VvV could enter that contained all the champion spawns.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Bilbo said:

As far as I know the dev's were still undecided on powerscrolls leaning towards not including them to keep the game with a lower point of entry for all players. It was already stated by the OP that since there is no Fel/Tram split that is why T2A would be a zone that only players in VvV could enter that contained all the champion spawns.
    Who says there will be a T2A, it was not part of the original UO.  You are assuming that The Lost Lands and all the stuff added by T2A will be part of this new shard.