Can target mount with spells while riding

YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
edited March 2021 in Bugs
"if you target a mount (either your own or a third party's) and then someone mounts the pet, using "last target" you're still able to cast spells on the pet, including mana vampire, poison, paralise, invisibility, heal, gift of renewal etc, mount does not receive damage but is affected by the above curses/heals/blesses, so as soon as someone steps off the mount it will be pre paralysed/poisoned etc, also it gives an unintended advantage that a mage can cast mana vampire on a pet while remaining mounted

Expected result: for last target to give the message, target cannot be seen when mount is being ridden"
Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.

Comments

• CovenantXCovenantX Posts: 865
    I actually like this,

Pro-tip. if you use the 'old target system' you can target ethereal mounts while riding it ;)
    Remove or change casting focus & poison immunity it reduces the need for "Player Skill" it's garbage. rant2 Bring timing back and eliminate chance in pvp!
    ICQ# 478 633 659
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited March 2021
    “The issue is, the unfair advantage is to the animal tamer, if i can heal my dread mare while the victim is unable to defend themselves by damaging it. They would have to riding swipe to even the playing field, if an archer or mage dismounts me, and damages dreadmare to redline, can just remount and heal it while victim cannot further damage pet.

also unfair advantage to mage over a warrior, the victim has invested 120 skill points in resisting spells, only for the mage to be able to mana vamp his own pet without risk of my pet being killed.

Related issue: if a pet discord’s a mob and you ride the pet, the mob stays discorded.
    expected result: to lose line of sight as pet is no longer a valid target in range of mob.”

Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.
    edited March 2021
    "i have successfully managed to escalate this bug to exploit status, if you train one of the following mounts in wrestling skill:

Bane Dragon

Coconut Crab

Dread Warhorse

Eowmu

Fire Beetle

Fire Steed

Giant Beetle

Grizzled Mare

Ki-Rin

Lasher

Nightmare

Nightmare (Legacy)

Skeletal Cat

Unicorn

Wildfire Ostard

Windrunner

you're presented with an option for "battle defense", the pet when engaged in combat will regularly perform "bodyguard" which will last up to 90 seconds depending on the pets parry skill, if you then mount the pet, you will continue to be under the pets bodyguard protection, however pet will not receive damage. This works for PvP damage also.

Expected result: for mount to lose sight of owner and break bodyguard upon mounting"

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    edited March 2021
    Here's an alternative way of thinking about this.

A mountable pet, and a player not riding the pet, with player occupying the same square as pet is at distance = 0, according to the server.  If the player then mounts the pet, the player is essentially touching the pet, and is in effect at distance = 0 from the player.  The pet can surely still "see" a target that it previously discorded.  As long as the pet remains in range of the discorded target, all seems fine here.

So then, an interesting question to ask is whether the pet is capable of "multi-tasking", while being ridden.  Given most pets have DEX and/or INT on par or far higher than any player character, the practical answer to this is probably a yes.  

That brings us around to the question of whether pets should be able to be targeted while they are mounted.  It does seem strange that a pet can't be damaged while being mounted.  If there is any "exploit" in this thread, perhaps this is the only thing that could be considered such.

Otherwise, seems like some in this thread should consider pursuing security penetration testing.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Finally body guard may be used.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited April 2021
    “Request for prioritisation”
    edited September 2021
    "people actively exploiting healing pet while riding, this is completely ridiculous cheat, please fix asap"
    edited September 2021
    Again, it seems fine the pet can be healed while it's mounted.  It's certainly in range of it's tamer if the tamer is riding it.

It does not seem fine the pet cannot be damaged while it's mounted.  Changing this will likely be quite unpopular...
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    If you want that then CUs should be able to heal its rider.
  • Symmetry is good.

Last I checked, healing pets don't bother to heal others in the party/etc.  That would be nice to extend...  Getting healed by your own pet is hit or miss currently, too.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    You are all missing the point Merv is having trouble killing the ozzy without a slayer and those haxxor tamers are healing it while riding 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • McDougle said:
    You are all missing the point Merv is having trouble killing the ozzy without a slayer and those haxxor tamers are healing it while riding 
    The missing slayer is called out in another bug report, afaik.

If the pet could be damaged while mounted, this is the best mitigation, and is more common sense.  Makes AoE spells and weapon effects more useful too.
    McDougle said:

If the pet could be damaged while mounted, this is the best mitigation, and is more common sense.  Makes AoE spells and weapon effects more useful too.
    Like many things this "fix" for a possible pvp issue will effect PVM what's gonna happen if it's "fixed" and suddenly that paragon lich targets your mount as you run for your life...and is there the slightest possibility that unauthorized programs are being used and causing issues...
    edited September 2021
    McDougle said:
    McDougle said:

Like many things this "fix" for a possible pvp issue will effect PVM what's gonna happen if it's "fixed" and suddenly that paragon lich targets your mount as you run for your life...and is there the slightest possibility that unauthorized programs are being used and causing issues...
    Almost any change has a good chance of having side effects.  I can imagine such a change will annoy many ("not popular"), as sampires and others will now have to start worrying about their mount health.  On the other hand, if you're near an erupting volcano (think Virtuebane special attack), and riding a horse, your horse really should be damaged in addition to the rider, eh?

Re: paragons, you can stand your ground/invis/fight/etc, or recall/sacred journey out if in tram.
     until it's proven this exploit is possible in official clients any talk of fixes is premature 
    edited September 2021
    McDougle said:
     until it's proven this exploit is possible in official clients any talk of fixes is premature 
    I (and other) can damage my Cu if I'm not riding it.
    I (and others) cannot damage my Cu if I'm riding it.

That's using the official EC.

I don't use other clients, so can't speak to whether that exploit can be overcome by other means.
    McDougle said:

I don't use other clients, so can't speak to whether that exploit can be overcome by other means.
    The issue is healing your pet while riding it do this in either official client..
    edited September 2021
    McDougle said:
    McDougle said:

The issue is healing your pet while riding it do this in either official client..
    McDougle, if you read my post #5 in this thread, I outline an interpretation that says you should be able to heal pets that are mounted, etc.  If they are in range on the battlefield, it should be possible to target them with offensive and defense spells, regardless of whether they are mounted.

A mounted Cu that is heavily damaged quickly regains hitpoints naturally while mounted, whether it's through regen, or a silent (?) healing skill usage.

If there is some other client (not EC or CC) that allows healing a mounted pet (and not EC/CC), then one interpretation is the EC and CC have a bug that doesn't allow this.  Of course, if broadsword wanted to ban people using other clients, this seems like an easy way to detect something is amiss, eh?

All this aside, it is still outside common sense (at least) that mounted pets cannot be damaged.  And for sampires/swap dragons, perhaps there is a reason these can have such high resists with exceptional dragon barding deed armor...

• gaygay Posts: 358
    This has been how last target works with mounts since last target was put into the game. And generally it only works within casting range of where you last mounted your pet. It's why sometimes someone can poison your mount after you get on it, or paralyze it, why monster spells still go off on your mount and why your mount can hold aggro from other pets and monsters until they're re-commanded to do something else.
  • Lord_FrodoLord_Frodo Posts: 2,210
    Symmetry is good.

Last I checked, healing pets don't bother to heal others in the party/etc.  That would be nice to extend...  Getting healed by your own pet is hit or miss currently, too.
    My CUs is constantly healing me.
    “I maintain the expected result in the OP, 
    it’s not just healing the pet while riding that is outrageous, the ability to mana vamp it too makes a mockery of the game”
  • gaygay Posts: 358
    Yoshi said:
    “I maintain the expected result in the OP, 
    it’s not just healing the pet while riding that is outrageous, the ability to mana vamp it too makes a mockery of the game”

So interrupt the mana vamp?
    For anyone who is curious, Fire beetles and Giant beetles are the best mounts to use as mana batteries.
    You can do lot of good work but after you  mention a "friend " using unauthorized programs and wanting to nerf things you have trouble with you lose credibility 

edited September 2021
    "Today, someone called Leatherknott on ATL, was healing their mounted nightmare with FC4 chivalry without being in casting range of where they originally mounted.

Confirmed you're able to do this by not using last target but setting macro to specific target as mount

This is very bad problem"
    And was this person using only approved clients??
    "I was able to reproduce this exploit using UOAssist"
  • Yoshi said:
    "Today, someone called Leatherknott on ATL, was healing their mounted nightmare with FC4 chivalry without being in casting range of where they originally mounted.

Confirmed you're able to do this by not using last target but setting macro to specific target as mount

This is very bad problem"
    Are you able to poison, curse, cause other negative actions on the mounted target, or damage it with other spells?  How is the pet targeted, specifically? 

Doesn't sound like an exploit currently (unless it's impossible to damage the pet), and devs haven't weighed in either way.

edited September 2021
    "it is impossible to damage the pet while ridden, you can't poison it with a spell but you can throw a poison dart at it, will not deal poison damage to it though (will just be poisined when they step off it)"
    Yoshi said:
    "it is impossible to damage the pet while ridden, you can't poison it with a spell but you can throw a poison dart at it, will not deal poison damage to it though (will just be poisined when they step off it)"
    If they are on it how do we know it's not getting damage?
This discussion has been closed.