EC - Crystal Portal Issue

SethSeth Posts: 2,904
Hi, I have this problem for many years, brought up to GM and Bugs email but zero reply.

Some of my character's Crystal Portal (and Corrupted version) gets messed up:
1) The order is changed.
2) When I select say Prism of Light, it sends me to Sanctuary instead. This happen when I select from the dropdown list.

I noticed the above issues happen to some characters, not all. So is there a file that I can reset this Crystal/Corrupted Portal issue?

Please help to point me in the right direction, thanks!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs

Comments

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited July 2020
    @Bleak can you help with this and the issue with EC map in the next thread? @Kyronix asked me to approach you.  :D

@Misk Pls help to clarify if this is a bug and how to solve it.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    edited March 2021
    Recently, I found another bug with the crystal portal drop down list becoming "drop up" instead. This was reset by simply deleting any lines with Crystal Portal in the user file, which will force the game to reset and the list becoming a drop "down" again.

However, I tried this and it still does not solve the issue with wrong recalling position.

What I found out is that this bug seem to affect non-mage characters, because the system removed "Wind" from the dropdown list.

Normally for mages, he will see this:
    Shame
    Wind
    Wrong

For non-mages,
    Shame
    Wrong

So when we select Shame, it sends us to Wind instead.
    This affects the entire list above Shame.

===
    Solution:
    Please keep "Wind" as a permanent selection in the dropdown list, instead of removing for non-mages.
    (Non-mages, i.e. warriors also recall to the place outside Wind to fight the Ants).

I believe the above solution should be very simple code change for the next publish.

• KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    edited March 2021
    I looked at the CrystalPortal.lua file out of curiosity and it looks like this is just caused by a wrong array index.

Changing the index check from 9 to 14 in the following places appears to fix it:

Line 230: if (CrystalPortal.NoWind == true and idx > 14) then
    Line 302: if (CrystalPortal.NoWind == true and i > 14) then
    Line 339: if (CrystalPortal.NoWind == true and idx > 14) then
    Line 369: elseif (idx > 14 and ButtonGetPressedFlag( CrystalPortal.WindowName .. "DungeonButton")) then
    Allowing non-mages to use "dungeon wind" would be a nice QoL change though, as mentioned above it takes you outside of Wind, and there are legitimate reasons non-mages would go to that area. 
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

Khyro said:
    I looked at the CrystalPortal.lua file out of curiosity and it looks like this is just caused by a wrong array index.

Changing the index check from 9 to 14 in the following places appears to fix it:

Line 230: if (CrystalPortal.NoWind == true and idx > 14) then
    Line 302: if (CrystalPortal.NoWind == true and i > 14) then
    Line 339: if (CrystalPortal.NoWind == true and idx > 14) then
    Line 369: elseif (idx > 14 and ButtonGetPressedFlag( CrystalPortal.WindowName .. "DungeonButton")) then
    Allowing non-mages to use "dungeon wind" would be a nice QoL change though, as mentioned above it takes you outside of Wind, and there are legitimate reasons non-mages would go to that area. 

Thanks for the tip! I am getting interested in Lua and may try to custom my own ui one day. Alot to learn from you!

Done!
    Its working now and its like getting a new replacement Crystal Portal.... ;)

Anyone lazy to modify the Lua file can PM me to email it to you.
    Where are these files? It’s okay to edit? If I can fix some bugs in the game myself...  I am definitely interested in getting started. 
    edited March 2021
    In my computer, they can be found here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Enhanced\UserInterface\

Unzip Default.zip into a folder, and rename the folder, e.g. "CustomUI".
    (Note: this folder name will be the new UI's name in the login screen selection. )

Next, look for this subfolder:
    ..\UserInterface\CustomUI\Source\

There are Lua files such as
    • CrystalPortal.lua
    • CharacterSheet.lua
    Then follow the instructions from Khyro to modify the file.
    Just some suggestions:
    • If you are using notepad or wordpad, use CTRL-F to locate the codes to modify.
    • I added comments so that I can find my previous modification easily. To make a comment in the code, type "-- your comments here". I added the word "-- Modified".
    Example of mine:

I am also new to this, so hope the above is clear.

edited March 2021
    Sorry one last step, before you login, select the custom UI that you renamed earlier, e.g. "CustomUI".

This will be the new default UI in future logins. I still prefer to use original EC interface, but willing to do minor fixes myself if someone can guide (like those wordpress scripts, etc).

Tried reading the Lua documentation, its not as simple as I thought... :D

edited March 2021
    In case anyone encounter this issue in future, below is another problem (and fix) where, for some reason, the dropdown list became a "drop up" on some of the characters.

Solution:
    1) Logout and open you character file.
    2) Find and delete the following lines (note your value might be different from mine):
                <NumberVar name="CrystalPortalMap" value="1.000000" />
                <NumberVar name="CrystalPortalArea" value="3.000000" />
                <NumberVar name="CrystalPortalSelection" value="13.000000" />
    3) Save and login again.
    4) Double click and move the Crystal Portal Window once. May need to close the window and open again, then the list will reset to become dropdown:

@Seth Thank you so much for posting all of that info. Very appreciated!
    Thanks to Khyro, or else this bug remain a mystery.