Ship Paint duration

Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
edited March 2021 in General Discussions
Based on the incredibly ridiculously slow speed of ships (you can walk in wolf form along the shore faster than your ship can sail, I know because I've tested it) and the fact that there are never any storms at sea (the rain detail is much better in the EC though) and the fact that we have to sail out to the market to buy the paint and only the owner can use it (while guild members can simply sail away on the ship but can't paint it ?) Could you at least make the color last more than 2 weeks ? (That's with 4 coats applied). 
You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.

Comments

• Acid_RainAcid_Rain Posts: 268
    Technically, there are 12 days in Britannia for every Earth day. 2 weeks for us equates to 168 Brit days. The usual time between earthly large ships being painted is roughly 5 years. Even the bottoms of ships, which in most cases receive the most wear & tear, are only repainted roughly once every +2 years. 

Needing to fully repaint our Britannia boats every 168 Britannia days speaks volumes about the subpar slop the dock vendors pass off as ‘paint’ to their unsuspecting clients.

I agree with Garth and ask that these shotty snake oil salesmen on the docks have their permits revoked and bring in some professionals to sell a product that isn’t tantamount to gargoyle urine mixed with eggs & animal fats.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    edited March 2021
    All uses of "tantamount" in a sentence are worthy of Nicholas Cage High Praise.

You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    I don't like repainting constantly but if you go on cruises. They are painting some part of those ships at every docking at the home port.

Doesn't the paint you get with the captains bundle last forever?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Pawain said:

Doesn't the paint you get with the captains bundle last forever?
    yes

• AmberWitchAmberWitch Posts: 630
    As a company that is certified in industrial coatings inspection, which includes DOD, nuclear, oil & gas, bridge, etc. I am qualified to say that a coating should last at a minimum of one year when properly applied. In fact most owners, in their written specifications, demand a one year warranty on the job.

While ships operate in adverse conditions, constant abrasion, constant exposure to salts, heavy UV exposure etc the paint manufacture has formulated their coatings to high standards and to protect the substrates under these conditions.

So like in just about every case I've done a failure analysis on... blame the person who applied the paint. Improper surface prep. :p 

All kidding aside. Yeah, I agree, the paint should last longer. It's expensive.