The High Price of Living on the Atlantic Shard

2»

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
     :D  When pet scrolls went up in price and someone asked how much a castle was, I would say 2 120 Tactics scrolls.  That was before Covid and not on Atlantic. 
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    Gwen said:
    dvvid said:
    When houses fall, the plot should just be used by someone who actually needs the plot.  The whole real estate market in the game seems to be entirely about greed.  I don't see how it is good for the game as a whole.  Just my opinion, though.
    By that "someone in need" you mean yourself, not any other player? 
    Whole real estate in game and in real word have same rules: it will be sold to top-bidder.
    Look at the ATL - tons of houses smaller than 18*18. They all need bigger one, not just you or me. 
    Lets avoid gold. How many 120 tactics scrolls or Cameos, or Bane dragons you think 18*18 should cost?
    By “someone in need” I mean literally anyone in need. Not myself. I don’t understand that accusation at all. I’d like a bigger place but I’m fine with what I have. 

All I am saying is the “realtors” in the game don’t seem to serve any benefit to the game itself... claiming up new plots and selling them for a quick fortune. 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    dvvid said:
    Gwen said:
    dvvid said:
    When houses fall, the plot should just be used by someone who actually needs the plot.  The whole real estate market in the game seems to be entirely about greed.  I don't see how it is good for the game as a whole.  Just my opinion, though.
    By that "someone in need" you mean yourself, not any other player? 
    Whole real estate in game and in real word have same rules: it will be sold to top-bidder.
    Look at the ATL - tons of houses smaller than 18*18. They all need bigger one, not just you or me. 
    Lets avoid gold. How many 120 tactics scrolls or Cameos, or Bane dragons you think 18*18 should cost?
    By “someone in need” I mean literally anyone in need. Not myself. I don’t understand that accusation at all. I’d like a bigger place but I’m fine with what I have. 

All I am saying is the “realtors” in the game don’t seem to serve any benefit to the game itself... claiming up new plots and selling them for a quick fortune. 
    Who determines NEED.  Every account deserves a house and every house that a REALTOR owns has a paying account owning it.  I have 3 accounts and I finally got a third convertible Castle for my 3rd account.  Do I NEED 3 customizable Castles, not really but UO is not about need but goals, now the goal will be to decorate it the way I want it.  One is our Guild / mementos / keep sakes Castle, the Second is our Crafter / BOD vendor storage Castle and the 3rd I am not sure yet what it will be.  Every playstyle benefits UO,  There have been "realtors" in UO from day one of housing, what benefit does rares collectors provide to UO, do they enhance my game play, in a way yes just like your playstyle enhances my playstyle by keeping UO alive so I can play.  Every paying account enhances UO because without them we would not be here.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I’m just saying claiming a blank plot just to sell seems greedy to me. 

Having multiple houses that you are actively using, even if just for deco or storage, is all good with me. Gives the shard life. 
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    dvvid said:

Having multiple houses that you are actively using, even if just for deco or storage, is all good with me. Gives the shard life. 
    So by this logic... you don't sell any goods to anyone for a profit? How much ya charging for a cameo? I think the default vendor price is 230gp.... I'll give ya 1,000gp for it even though you really shouldn't even have got it if you have more than 1 because they should be going to those in need. 

:D 
  • dvvid said:

That's how Real life works, hence that's how the game works. as long as it isn't being done illegally people can do whatever they want.  The biggest issue is there are too many scripts involved in house placement.  I'm all for someone making a profit, just not cheating to do it. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^
  • TheoTheo Posts: 169
    Gwen said:
    @ Theo , Check houses on Atl. Their deco costs many plats. Only deco, Add pets and artifacts (like cameo sets etc) and you will see how much gold they can pay for a house if they need one. Who will spend those thousands of real money? Noobs and only lazy ones. Who dont want to grind money, kill mobs or even craft stuff to earn gold. Yes , for somebody just started playing those multi-million prices are scary. .
    Look, clearly you aren't getting it.  YOu say 'their deco costs many plats' thats because of the insane amount of gold in the game. If it were reduced THEY WOULD NOT COST PLATS.  I'm not sure how I can make it more simple.  It would fall back to the amount of time it would take to aquire said gold for the exchange.    The money supply has everything to do with how much things cost and we have too much money in the system.  It needs a wipe. The simple and easy way to remove it is to sell the fallen housing spots on ATL.  It will be a gradual suck of the money supply. No one is unhappy about it (do you want to pay 4 plat through an auction or 4 plat to a broker - either way the house is 4 plat).  And over time plats and plats removed - then things won't be so out of reach because of a bloated money supply. House prices fall. Price of everything falls to a point whereby you can actually acquire the gold.  

Look if everyone is standing around hungry with 1 million dollars in their pocket and I have a loaf a bread to sell -what will the price be? 

Now if everyone only has $10 what will the price be?  

Thats the point.  
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited March 2021
    Galluccio said:

What are the advantages of Living on Atlantic?  Easy access to shopping which no other shard has right now.  You go to any other shard other than Atlantic and the things available for sale are nearly nothing.  The shopping is the biggest advantage of being on Atlantic.

^^^ This part
    This is why its better to setup a way to trade across shard so that Atlantic is not the only place which has "everything". I opine shard bound is not the solution.

Setup one player to place an order for an item in the destination shard B (say Atlantic)
    In original shard A, have a menu to activate payment transfer. Money deducted from shard A gets created on shard B to the seller. Then shard B deletes item and recreate a new one in shard A.

Another point to add is, everyone can sell their wares from their original shard. There is no need to setup a vendor in Atlantic.

Vendor search in Atlantic might improve because the load is now spread across all shards.

There is then no need for character transfer anymore, which will create more loading on Atlantic. Character transfer is only required for complete migration of shard, or for participation in shard events, pvp, etc.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Seth said:

There is then no need for character transfer anymore, which will create more loading on Atlantic. Character transfer is only required for complete migration of shard, or for participation in shard events, pvp, etc.

And this is where you lost the devs/BS who use transfer tokens etc as a big cash cow.
    edited March 2021
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:

And this is where you lost the devs/BS who use transfer tokens etc as a big cash cow.

Yeah, you are right in that sense, however, I am thinking the ease of trading and availability of items, high supply (hence supposed lower cost in economics) will boost new players (easier to get into the game). This means more players which will negate the lost in the sales of tokens. In any case, I don't think it will affect much. I have a 18 year old account I use my tokens to help my friends transfer.

Imagine the game has a built in mechanism that allow this instead of relying on me, they will be saying Ultima Online is solid!
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:

Yeah, you are right in that sense, however, I am thinking the ease of trading and availability of items, high supply (hence supposed lower cost in economics) will boost new players (easier to get into the game). This means more players which will negate the lost in the sales of tokens. In any case, I don't think it will affect much. I have a 18 year old account I use my tokens to help my friends transfer.

Imagine the game has a built in mechanism that allow this instead of relying on me, they will be saying Ultima Online is solid!
    It will never happen because EA will never allow it, in fact I was VERY SUPPRISED that they allowed the 14th year shard shield but maybe it was a smart move because I see a lot more shields in houses now so more older vets are sticking around longer.  My 3rd main account just hit 14 years and I never intended to keep it going until the 14th year rewards came out so EA is getting an extra $120 a year from me because of it and no I did not buy Xfer tokens.

Where do people get the idea that BS makes money on anything sold on Origin or from sups paid, you do relize that EA owns Origin and EA collects all the subs.  EA has a contract with BS to run DAoC and UO and as tight wad as EA is I am sure that is a set in stone amount every year.
    Bilbo said:
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:

It will never happen because EA will never allow it, in fact I was VERY SUPPRISED that they allowed the 14th year shard shield but maybe it was a smart move because I see a lot more shields in houses now so more older vets are sticking around longer.  My 3rd main account just hit 14 years and I never intended to keep it going until the 14th year rewards came out so EA is getting an extra $120 a year from me because of it and no I did not buy Xfer tokens.

Where do people get the idea that BS makes money on anything sold on Origin or from sups paid, you do relize that EA owns Origin and EA collects all the subs.  EA has a contract with BS to run DAoC and UO and as tight wad as EA is I am sure that is a set in stone amount every year.

Not sure if we are on the same point here, but I am writing from the experience as a returning player how much cross shard trading meant to me so that we can stay with this game and reap its full enjoyment - same as what I have done with several of my returning friends in Asian shards.

Many of them would not be paying to subscribe if not for the ability to purchase good gears in Atlantic where traders of all shards converge. Even some of them have migrated to Atlantic to PVP even when the Ping is disadvantageous to them.

So complaining about VS? Ofcourse, we are ALL MIGRATING TO ATLANTIC! More shard bound. more migration. Open cross shard trading so all players can spread to other shards and Grow the Population WORLD WIDE GET ITTT??????
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I think you should stick to what you're good at, stealing other peoples signature lines.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Seth said:
    Bilbo said:
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:

Not sure if we are on the same point here, but I am writing from the experience as a returning player how much cross shard trading meant to me so that we can stay with this game and reap its full enjoyment - same as what I have done with several of my returning friends in Asian shards.

Many of them would not be paying to subscribe if not for the ability to purchase good gears in Atlantic where traders of all shards converge. Even some of them have migrated to Atlantic to PVP even when the Ping is disadvantageous to them.

So complaining about VS? Ofcourse, we are ALL MIGRATING TO ATLANTIC! More shard bound. more migration. Open cross shard trading so all players can spread to other shards and Grow the Population WORLD WIDE GET ITTT??????
    Cross Shard trading will cost EA not BS/DAoC/UO REAL MONEY, see this is the point you fail to understand, EA OWNS DAoC/UO and alls BS does is maintain it.  EA collects ALL CASH BS/DaoC/UO collects no REAL MONEY.  Destroying EAs CASH COW will cost EA REAL MONEY and EA could easily shut down BS because of it.

No not all of us are migrating to Atl but like all people that live in the Burbs sometimes we have to go to the MEGA Malls to do our shopping and we would rather spend a little gas money than than hustle and bustle of an overcrowded city.  Look at all the 175M display items that are on Atl VS, now why the hell would someone put a bandage for 175M on a vendor and is probably one of the biggest whiners about vendor costs when they could place a book for free or a bag with a description saying what is there for sell. or better yet why put 50 of the same high priced item on a vendor when the same item is selling for half that amount on other vendors.  Do you people not look at other sellers prices before pricing you own stuff.  Compared to all the other shards I would bet that Atl has more JUNK on their vendors than all the shards with all their items combined do so maybe Atl should clean out the junk and 100s of the same item on a vendor, what you think because you sell something at 100M and another is selling it for 50M that some idiot will say OMG his must be special because it costs twice as much, do you guys think people are really that stupid.

Get a clue stop proposing things that will cost EA real money and get BS/DAoC/UO shut down.
    How many shard runs do you do to help others or are you one of those that farms "dead shards" to sell on Atl.
    edited March 2021
    Bilbo said:
    Seth said:
    Bilbo said:
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:

Cross Shard trading will cost EA not BS/DAoC/UO REAL MONEY, see this is the point you fail to understand, EA OWNS DAoC/UO and alls BS does is maintain it.  EA collects ALL CASH BS/DaoC/UO collects no REAL MONEY.  Destroying EAs CASH COW will cost EA REAL MONEY and EA could easily shut down BS because of it.

No not all of us are migrating to Atl but like all people that live in the Burbs sometimes we have to go to the MEGA Malls to do our shopping and we would rather spend a little gas money than than hustle and bustle of an overcrowded city.  Look at all the 175M display items that are on Atl VS, now why the hell would someone put a bandage for 175M on a vendor and is probably one of the biggest whiners about vendor costs when they could place a book for free or a bag with a description saying what is there for sell. or better yet why put 50 of the same high priced item on a vendor when the same item is selling for half that amount on other vendors.  Do you people not look at other sellers prices before pricing you own stuff.  Compared to all the other shards I would bet that Atl has more JUNK on their vendors than all the shards with all their items combined do so maybe Atl should clean out the junk and 100s of the same item on a vendor, what you think because you sell something at 100M and another is selling it for 50M that some idiot will say OMG his must be special because it costs twice as much, do you guys think people are really that stupid.

Get a clue stop proposing things that will cost EA real money and get BS/DAoC/UO shut down.
    How many shard runs do you do to help others or are you one of those that farms "dead shards" to sell on Atl.
    Not all migrating to Atlantic but enough to cause VS to fail more than other shards. What revenue are you talking when the busiest shard is full of unhappy customers?
    Seth said:
    Bilbo said:
    Seth said:
    Bilbo said:
    Seth said:
    keven2002 said:
    Seth said:

Not all migrating to Atlantic but enough to cause VS to fail more than other shards. What revenue are you talking when the busiest shard is full of unhappy customers?
    If they were so unhappy they would not be there now would they?  They are still paying their subs because EA is still allowing UO to live.  So bitch/whine all you want clean up your vendors don't clean up your vendors do what ever just keep paying your subs so other can play.  The sure volume of crap on Atl Vendors is a problem and the players refuse to do anything about it.

@Kyronix @Bleak can Atl have special vendors that can only hold 5 items and drop the total number of vendors a house can have to %25 to force Atl to clean out the trash.
  • LorielLoriel Posts: 6
    To be honest how much money do they actually make from transfer tokens when there are enough shard shields in circulation to make them obsolete. Most guilds have people with shields that will transfer for free. I agree that opening up trade across shards will encourage growth on the less populated shards as it means there will be less barriers to trade. Atlantic can still serve as a trade hub but as a consequence of say being able to transfer freely and without limits for every paying player, it means more people will travel out of Atlantic looking for deals on items. Or conversely people move back to their more local shard to do content with a better ping because they know at any point they can go to ATL to sell stuff. Having such an obvious trade barrier does nothing to help the economy, which many people agree is the biggest issue in the game. If the demand for housing on ATL reduces so does the crazy prices that are being driven up by RMT traders and scripters. It’s not just about the money supply. These people are effectively making real cash that should be going to the owners to keep the game going by playing off the small amount of guaranteed income that comes from transfer tokens. New Legacy is a risk because it by no means guarantees new players will come in. I would urge BS take a similar risk in allowing free trade and encourage returning players to stay when they come back rather than get disenchanted with the state of the economy and its effect on the game.
    Lagistics to have an all shards VS

1. Move all shards VSs to one location.  Would require its own server due to massive lag potential, Atl x 100.
    2. Allow all shards access to this server through VS
    3. Create a transfer system for items only from shard to shard.  Is there a total item limit on number of items per day kind of like char transfers?  Is there a limit on number of items for a single purchase or should we limit it to 1 item at time.
    4. Place item in buyers bank/pack, remove gold from buyer and place it in vendors account.
    5. Transfer cost who pays it and how much should it be, possible gold sink.  Set fee + %10 of item cost.
    6. What potential stress could this put on the shard servers doing all these item transfers and how much time will pass before you get your item / gold
    7. Are the 2 special shards included in this, if not now we add more requirements into the program to make sure they are excluded.
    8. Will the Auction Safes be included, big potential to move massive amounts of gold from shard to shard, RMTers will love this as it washes their gold and allows easy transfer of gold from shard to shard.
    Please fill free to add other requirements / concerns.  This sounds simple, just ask all the programmers we have here, but as old as some of UO is can we do way more harm than good and what happens when the system farts and changes the item.  Would this fall under the clause that we do not replace lost items.

Yes this has the potential to be a nice thing with a gold sink add in BUT it could be a total nightmare not only for VS but for the game itself with all the server lag potential, what did it take just to fix Atl VS and it still isn't up to the rest of the shards, but it is a lot better, and you want to take the chance to transfer that to all the other shards.  What do you do with VS if it doesn't work, do the DEVs do another rewrite to put it back or better yet just wipe VS.
    Bilbo said:
    Lagistics to have an all shards VS

1. Move all shards VSs to one location.  Would require its own server due to massive lag potential, Atl x 100.
    2. Allow all shards access to this server through VS
    3. Create a transfer system for items only from shard to shard.  Is there a total item limit on number of items per day kind of like char transfers?  Is there a limit on number of items for a single purchase or should we limit it to 1 item at time.
    4. Place item in buyers bank/pack, remove gold from buyer and place it in vendors account.
    5. Transfer cost who pays it and how much should it be, possible gold sink.  Set fee + %10 of item cost.
    6. What potential stress could this put on the shard servers doing all these item transfers and how much time will pass before you get your item / gold
    7. Are the 2 special shards included in this, if not now we add more requirements into the program to make sure they are excluded.
    8. Will the Auction Safes be included, big potential to move massive amounts of gold from shard to shard, RMTers will love this as it washes their gold and allows easy transfer of gold from shard to shard.
    Please fill free to add other requirements / concerns.  This sounds simple, just ask all the programmers we have here, but as old as some of UO is can we do way more harm than good and what happens when the system farts and changes the item.  Would this fall under the clause that we do not replace lost items.

Yes this has the potential to be a nice thing with a gold sink add in BUT it could be a total nightmare not only for VS but for the game itself with all the server lag potential, what did it take just to fix Atl VS and it still isn't up to the rest of the shards, but it is a lot better, and you want to take the chance to transfer that to all the other shards.  What do you do with VS if it doesn't work, do the DEVs do another rewrite to put it back or better yet just wipe VS.
    No I dont think a postal service like this is workable. I am just talking about free transfers for all paying customers. Whether the devs want to add limits to that or not. They could do a 25 item limit and/or a once a day/week time limit if they want to differentiate it from transfer tokens and shard shields. That would be enough for new or returning players to get a few items to market or others to pick up a few things from the outlying shards. This would clearly be a process and the effects of it may not be felt for a few months. It would mean progress and would be as big a change as what they did with idocs and work in a similar way by giving greater access to a larger number of people.
    UO is not going to just give free shard transfers away, you need to earn them or buy them.  Giving away free transfers would be a slap in the face to 14 year vets.  Ask here or in gen chat if you need something xfered or join a guild that does shard runs, problem solved and yes I have 3 accounts that are over 14 years old.
    Bilbo said:
    UO is not going to just give free shard transfers away, you need to earn them or buy them.  Giving away free transfers would be a slap in the face to 14 year vets.  Ask here or in gen chat if you need something xfered or join a guild that does shard runs, problem solved and yes I have 3 accounts that are over 14 years old.
    Just today I was talking to someone who is 9 months away from a 14 year account and he doesn’t even want shard shields in fact he would prefer if everyone got free xfers too. He is a trader so he understands the economic value of that. If you read my post you will see if I have given a clear example of how they can differentiate from the bought or earnt option. I am not going to attack you for not agreeing with me as you probably expect me to, I am just asking you to look from the perspective of new and returning players in offering them an incentive to stay. The devs already have your support and I would even go so far as to say you probably wouldn’t consider unsubbing over this if they did change it. I would even go even further and say you are representative of the majority of loyal vets who also would stay despite a change of this nature. Do correct me if I’m wrong. Once we get a few more returners staying for longer periods and populating their local shards I would imagine this would enrich your own gaming experience too.
    edited April 2021
    Postal system for purchasing and transfer of goods cross shard will be ideal. Cross shard trading is a necessity for most players esp. those returning.

This should be done without devaluing current character transfer shield too much. One UO store  character transfer shield is not more expensive than a 14 year ‘free’ shard shield. It’s the opposite, the ‘free’ shard shield cost 14 years x 12 months of loyalty sub. You can pay for sub $9.99 but also need to pay in “time” as well. They won’t allow us to ignore the “time”, and just pay 14 x 12 months sub. That is too cheap... time is priceless.