Wasted Earring slot

SypanecroSypanecro Posts: 19
edited March 2021 in General Discussions
Hi,

I am writing to mention that I strongly believe the earrings slot is a waste.  I think you should be able to get fc 1 earrings or plus skill earrings or something substantial rather than the plus two resist earrings that have been available.

It just improves how you can outfit your character if some decent options were made available but sadly the earring slots as they stand right now are really useless.
  1. Add earrings with fc1 or skills?13 votes
    1. Agree
      30.77%
    2. Disagree
      69.23%

Comments

• Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    I doubt if this would be possible. Here's why (in my useless opinion)
    Human/elf armor - gargoyle armor
    hat - earrings
    gorget - necklace
    gloves - kilt
    cloak - wing armor
    arms, chest, legs, belt, sash, ring, bracelet all the same

Earrings - nil. Gargoyles have no corresponding slot. While current human earrings have some properties, they're not a real balance issue, as you have pointed out. 

Gargoyles are already at some disadvantage in the scarcity of armour. I believe high value properties on a slot that is unavailable to them would be an unwelcome addition.

@Kyronix btw here's an idea - humans/elves recently got a new weapon, the whip. Any chance of extending the current 3 choices for gargoyle throwers with the addition of a chakram?

• SypanecroSypanecro Posts: 19
    i believe there are gargoyle earrings in VvV silver trader
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    I thought Gargoyles overall had more slots than human/elf ?
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    i think i understand what you mean
    i still think fc 1 earrings beat having to run daily to get a town buff
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Sypanecro said:
    i believe there are gargoyle earrings in VvV silver trader
    Yes - but for gargoyles earrings take the place of the head slot. They can't wear hats or helms
    a regular 6 piece suit for a gargoyle is earrings, necklace, chest, arms, legs, kilt.
    I thought Gargoyles overall had more slots than human/elf ?
    Count them up Garth, I'd be happy to find I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210

Earrings - nil. Gargoyles have no corresponding slot. While current human earrings have some properties, they're not a real balance issue, as you have pointed out. 

Gargoyles are already at some disadvantage in the scarcity of armour. I believe high value properties on a slot that is unavailable to them would be an unwelcome addition.

@ Kyronix btw here's an idea - humans/elves recently got a new weapon, the whip. Any chance of extending the current 3 choices for gargoyle throwers with the addition of a chakram?

Gargs can use whip as is (like pickaxe or smith hammer). 
    Human earrings are awesome- night sight is good. Gargs have no such slot and way less cloth slots (to apply reagent charges). With current LRC and it's mechanics (no cap like LMC has)  it is obsolete but is an advantage anyway. 
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Allow us to forge/imbue/enhance
    even if the only earring addition they gave is fc 1 that would probably be enough as some shards don't even have the fc 1 town buff such as my shard
    gargoyles also can't be dismounted as they fly which is a serious advantage
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Sypanecro said:
    They are forced to land when dismounted...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Sypanecro said:
    Never played a gargoyle huh.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 1,246
    edited March 2021

Ok, thought about it, completely agree with Petra.

The Earrings slot for human/elf is just not needed for a powerful property - The Nocturne Earrings for Night Sight, or the +2 Resist Earrings are all that is needed. FC1 for example - is available in a lot of places, so extra is not needed, and would give humans/elves more advantages over gargoyles.

Considering - yes, they have equal slots - but a lot less options for gargoyles already in what can and cannot be used. The main issue for Gargoyles may in fact be Armour related. Getting good Earring/Head slots for example. Missing out on so many Artefacts available to Humans/Elves.

@Petra_Fyde - the extra weapon looks cool. It is a case of where does it fit in terms of role/specials/range and speed.

Gargoyle throwers have 3 weapons,

Boomerangs - Range 7 - Fast - especially useful on a Parry Garg which is ok to get a bit closer and take damage - can be used in PvM or PvP - in PvM could use a nice slayer set - designed much like Raptors Claw which is a fun weapon (just expand this into a set), in PvP good for its speed and disturbing ability - Storm Caller is an excellent all round weapon here.

Cyclones - Range 9 - Medium speed - specials only designed for PvP. In this sense, Banshee's Call is a very cool weapon for the PvP aspect. Stone Sliths Claw (Demon) misses the point by having a Slayer on it, as does Wind of Corruption (Fey) - Cyclone has no PvM specials, so these 2 weapons are in fact wasted, and would be better off being a Boomerang.

Soul Glaive - Range 12 - Pretty much the Standard Bearer for most gargoyles, long range, needed to help maintain distance as gargoyles are very squishy. Good damage, Slow. 2 Good Specials for both PvM and PvP. Blight of the Tundra - this is what a Slayer set should look like, very nice, would be interested to know exactly how many slayers there are in this set. It's weakness maybe that the whole set is Cold Damage only. ps @Mariah - is the Blight of the Tundra on Wiki missing the Slayer property ? :)  Valkyries Glaive also misses the point when it comes to properties, meaning you will use it if you have nothing else, but it could be better designed - what Thrower needs Spell Channelling? and it lacks any means to regain stamina or mana when throwing. The Soul Glaive could use a PvP artefact in its line-up.

So in summary re Gargoyle weapons, and I've changed my tune a bit as I've looked into it more;

1. There are only 3 types of Gargoyle Throwing weapon, this seems bad at first, but on reflection the Throwing Weapons have been designed pretty well to fulfil most functions. Probably the most obvious missing Special - is any type of real Whirlwind effect, and Properties missing on an artefact would be Leeches whilst Whirlwinding.

2. Boomerangs could use a Slayer set - much like Raptors Claw in design, much like the Blight of the Tundra set but for shorter range Gargoyle Templates.

3. Cyclone just does not need any Slayer styles - it really is for PvP alone.

4. Soul Glaive could use an artfect PvP style weapon, as well as other Non Cold Elemental Damage slayers.

@Kyronix ^ Ideas for Gargoyles. :)

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Cookie said:
     ps @ Mariah - is the Blight of the Tundra on Wiki missing the Slayer property ? :) 

It would appear so. I will rectify.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Gargoyles should have a head slot. That would open up crafting to make gargoyle helmets. Just imagine a gargoyle wearing a top hat.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    TimSt said:
    Gargoyles should have a head slot. That would open up crafting to make gargoyle helmets. Just imagine a gargoyle wearing a top hat.
    They use ear rings as the head slot.  They have the same number of armor slots as the other races.  Their horns prevent head wear.

I don't think any race will be wearing a transmogrified top hat.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Don’t quite understand this thread.  Gargoyle earrings have modifications quite similar to the headgear of other races.  Get good sets as drops in Tel Mur.   Agree human earrings don’t usually add much.  Like the nocturne earrings though.  Never gotten a human earring with a mod as a drop.
  • For Humans, the Nocturne Earrings (Night Sight) are great. Wamap's Bone Earrings can be useful if you hunt in Eodon, especially the 40% Dragon Turtle Protection ones when soloing the Dragon Turtle with a Sampire.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Arnold7 said:
    Don’t quite understand this thread.  Gargoyle earrings have modifications quite similar to the headgear of other races.  Get good sets as drops in Tel Mur.   Agree human earrings don’t usually add much.  Like the nocturne earrings though.  Never gotten a human earring with a mod as a drop.
    earrings are our head slot you can't compare human earrings to garg ones even if they are both called earring...
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    You are correct.  Human earrings usually only have one mod and you have to buy those from the UO store (except for nocturne earrings which are a cleanup reward.). Not familiar with how you get the bone earrings.  Just saying on gargoyles the earring slot substitutes for the head slot on other races.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    Bone earrings are roof drops.
  • hunter11hunter11 Posts: 223
    edited March 2021
    what Thrower needs Spell Channelling? @Cookie a thrower mage? and the most useful of all human earrings are the morp earrings allowing humans to wear elf stuff because well elfs are stinky 
  • YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    Cookie said:

Blight of the Tundra - this is what a Slayer set should look like, very nice, would be interested to know exactly how many slayers there are in this set. It's weakness maybe that the whole set is Cold Damage only. 

“I have farmed a lot of these, have never gotten any ML slayers however have gotten a super slayer - arachnid. Made me want to farm more”
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.