Testing: Mobs getting stuck in Treasures Dungeons

KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
We have Tears of the Ice Dragon rolling on TC1, head down there and kill some stuff, report any stuck mobs here!

Comments

• VioletViolet Posts: 368
    @Kyronix

Mobs that spawn stuck or get stuck on their own?

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    Spawn stuck, especially on that ledge down by the rats in ice dungeon.  
    The solution here is worse than the problem was, in my opinion. This same fix was implemented after the invasions began to fix the stuck Trinsic mobs inside walls. However, what this does is cause huge lag spikes, particularly when mobs are trying to teleport to a person. The lag spikes can be so bad that the client itself will freeze for a moment each time. This change will cause needless additional difficulty and frustration if implemented. The minor inconvenience of a mob or two trapped in an unreachable wall (which fixes itself at server maintenance anyways) is much more desirable than adding potential lag spikes and teleporting mobs everywhere. Unlike Trinsic, a mob or two being trapped in a Treasures dungeon won't hinder progress or progression.

Examples of it in Ice Dungeon, this is causing mobs to teleport across corridors and any area where they don't have direct line of sight.  And multiple mobs can decide to teleport at once causing a prolonged freeze.

I can supply videos if needed.

• KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    @Violet - thanks for taking a look!  We've pushed a new update to TC1 to try and address these issues.  Let us know if you get a chance to check em out, thanks!
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I sent my sampire to TC Ice and completed about one round of clearing the basement.

Then I found these two stucked above.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    TC has always been slightly laggy for me, but there are no noticeable freeze or lag spikes during the above test.
    The random teleporting of nonstuck mobs in the corridors seems toned down/removed. (in the time I tested after the patch, I could not get it triggered)

When the mob teleports to you, it causes a full screen refresh, much like if you were to have a macro to open your paperdoll.  If you are moving when it happens, it causes the character to rubberband back to where the mob appeared.

The picture Seth posted, mobs on that west ledge, did teleport to the character.  A white wyrm on the east ledge sounded like it kept casting teleport with the animation but stayed in place when I tried to force a teleport from it.
    edited March 2021
    Actually I wanted to test my upgraded sampire (after adding the Morphius Epaulette) hehe...

I copied the sampire to TC1 but I forgot to bring over one of my jewels with 10 SSI which was sent for repair.

Now I went in and clear some spawns, two of them re-spawn and went up the ledge again.

This time around, I think I can hear the White Wrym teleporting sound but it stays on the Ledge.

Only the ratman mage can attack me by spells but he stays on the ledge too.

There is no lag.

• ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    Being so hopelessly stuck, seems these should just starve to death and die?

The quickest fix to mobs being stuck in the trinsic walls during invasions was a GM coming by and 1-hit killing/deleting them.
    Being so hopelessly stuck, seems these should just starve to death and die?

The quickest fix to mobs being stuck in the trinsic walls during invasions was a GM coming by and 1-hit killing/deleting them.
    Actually that is a good idea.

If “can find path to target” equals “false” then “self delete”.

Seth said:

That idea is just begging to be exploited.
    Violet said:
    Seth said:

That idea is just begging to be exploited.
    I think you mean players cast wall or energy field to block access to autokill the monster?
  • ForeverFunForeverFun Posts: 782
    How are things born in a location they cannot move from or to?  Perhaps the spawn point bounds needs to be changed.