Is there any need to loot anything?

GalluccioGalluccio Posts: 77
edited March 2021 in General Discussions
I was working on imbuing lately.  I went and purchased a Kama from a blacksmith. 

I imbued these properties:
50 percent Lightning
50 Percent Hit Lower Defense
30 Percent Swing Speed increase
50 Percent Hit Cold Area

I still have some ability to add more stats until I get to 550.  It looks like I just created the best Kama in the game with just buying a weapon at the blacksmith and using imbuing 

Why would anyone want to try to loot another Kama?

Comments

• Armor, splinter weapons, gold, and the number one reason to loot?  you have to loot the crap on bodies to get the mats to make weapons like that. 
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• GalluccioGalluccio Posts: 77
    People still loot gold in this game?  Ok... other than the gold.  What do you mean by "armor" and "splinter weapon?"  I understand that the splinter weapon ability is good on a weapon.... I'm just talking about the Kama Weapon right now.... so.. if there's another property called "armor" you can put on a Kama.. .well.. that's interesting.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited March 2021
    Galluccio said:
    I was working on imbuing lately.  I went and purchased a Kama from a blacksmith. 

50 percent Lightning
    50 Percent Hit Cold Area

I still have some ability to add more stats until I get to 550.  It looks like I just created the best Kama in the game with just buying a weapon at the blacksmith and using imbuing 

Looted weapons can have properties go higher then those imbuable... the difficult part is, though, to find on looted items properties that "match" with one another as one would like...

If you check here https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/items/magic-item-properties/ , you can see how the properties set as " I ", which are those imbuable/craftable are considerably lower as those set as " L " which are those found as Loot....

The Hit Lightining that you capped at 50% with Imbuing, as Loot, you can find up to 70%, for example...
  • Galluccio said:
    People still loot gold in this game?  Ok... other than the gold.  What do you mean by "armor" and "splinter weapon?"  I understand that the splinter weapon ability is good on a weapon.... I'm just talking about the Kama Weapon right now.... so.. if there's another property called "armor" you can put on a Kama.. .well.. that's interesting.
    No, but you have to loot Armor to get the best armor in the game. You have to loot jewelry to get the best jewelry in the game and you have to loot the junk to get the relics and other mats needed for making the Kama you mentioned.  The title of your thread is “is there any need to loot anything? “ And the answer to that is yes. 

• GwenGwen Posts: 210
    Galluccio said:

Imbuing is predictable but limited. Looted (especially legendaries) are way better. But hard to find something for your exact template, skills and stats.
  • GalluccioGalluccio Posts: 77
    Galluccio said:
    No, but you have to loot Armor to get the best armor in the game. You have to loot jewelry to get the best jewelry in the game and you have to loot the junk to get the relics and other mats needed for making the Kama you mentioned.  The title of your thread is “is there any need to loot anything? “ And the answer to that is yes. 
    I was trying to limit the discussion to just one item.  Do I need to loot another Kama when I can just max out the properties on a GM made weapon?
  • ElessarElessar Posts: 23
    I understand your point.  I play a team of 5, and it's not unusual at all for me to do a Corgul run with all five and throw every single item I loot into the trash can.  I inspect every one of them, but the times I find something I would actually wear is incredibly rare.  
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 237
    Galluccio said:

50 percent Lightning
    50 Percent Hit Cold Area

I am just going to be honest with you but your Kama sucks. You want to start with an exceptionally crafted Kama.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    edited March 2021
     :D 

I am just going to be honest with you but your Kama sucks. You want to start with an exceptionally crafted Kama.
    You don't need Leechs when you are fighting Mongbats.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    And I bet he thinks that all those mode hit every swing too.
  • Galluccio said:
    Galluccio said:
    I was trying to limit the discussion to just one item.  Do I need to loot another Kama when I can just max out the properties on a GM made weapon?
    As has been stated, you can get weapons with higher than allowed stats and that have more properties that make that one look like a toothpick so the answer is still yes. To avoid confusion in the future you should have titled the thread something like: "Any need to loot another Kama?" 

• SC_UO2021SC_UO2021 Posts: 18
    Really depends what you kill. I’m mostly farming Roof and Spawns with the occasional Under Water and Peerless throw in. Peerless are really only worth looting for special drops. Roof is always loot as are spawns (sometimes). Under Water is worth looting. Miasma is always good cause of chests. Other than that, nope, not really. I most hunt with a 5 slot giant beetle; so. I loot gold. 
  • To answer the question in your subject line: Yes there are reasons to loot.

In the rest of your posts, though, you're essentially raising an entirely separate question: Is there a better kama in existence than the one you have made?  (Leaving aside for now the question of if the blacksmith you purchased the blank from was an NPC or a player -- hopefully a player because it was probably GM made and can be Imbued up higher.)

The answer is: Probably, or loot will generate one at some point. Whether or not you'll ever see it is another question. If you play on Baja and it spawns on Great Lakes and is missed and decays to deletion, for you it may as well not have existed.

Also if it's objectively better but doesn't meet your needs, then who cares? You've made the ideal weapon for your character. Use it, name it for your character, and revel in the flexibility that this game offers you.

I've seen many weapons objectively better than my characters' weapons, but they don't fit my needs as well as my weapons do.