New Legacy Stream, very informative and good, thumbs up !!

I found the New Legacy Stream very informative on the New Shard and with lots of interesting things...

I love that it will be a no Recall/No Gate Shard and I do hope that the public Gates will be few and far in between....

To have Seasons with debuffs if one does not wear accordingly, is also a cool thing.

Ofthe questions about the Client i would have liked to hear whether it will be possible to use the Enhanced Client BUT with the option to use the Classic Client Graphics....  I would love to have this as a possible option as the EC Graphics I just hate it....

I also think that the compromise about PvM and PvP to accomodate all players need is a great one, this way, those who want to PvP will be able to and those who instead do not because they prefer PvM will still be able to enjoy the ew Legacy Shard as they enjoy...  very good !!

One thing I did not understand, the way it was spoken in the Stream, it is "as if" only "solo" playing will permit PvM (no PvP) gameplay on New Legacy.... that is, that joining a Guild would "automatically set one for PvP...

Really ?

It won't be possible to be in a Guild but strictly for PvM ?

Also, it was mentioned that it will not be possible to "opt out" of PvP, once in, one stays in.... is that only for a Guild or also for individuals ?

I mean, if I am in a Guild that does PvP but I realize that it is not for me, can I leave that Guild and so opt out from PvP ?

Not much was said in regards to Crafting, hopefully, in a future Stream more details about how Crafting and the Economy will play out will be disclosed.

Overall, I found the Stream very informative and with lots of interesting info.

Keep up the good work !!

Comments

• LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    Agreed!

One question I asked was how skill gaining will work? As in..will it be as grindy as it is now?

For example...taming....having to tame and release Great Harts over and over...then moving on to Bulls...and Ridgebacks....will there be a different gaining system in place?

I didn't hear them say it was no gate/no recall, just limited to certain key areas with the ability to get a quest to get a rune to a random location to continue that quest.

Please keep the no powerscrolls to keep everyone on the same playing field.

LOVE the housing rules! 

LOVE the climate/gear pairing, means more for crafters.

I know you don't wanna say WHEN NL will be live but I hope it's sometime in 2021!

Keep up the work on it. Pub 110 looks amazing, thank you for all of that!

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Since PvP will be consensual I can see how a non-PvPer can be used to interfere with a battle by getting between the PvP enabled characters.  Really problematic if a non-PvPer can block the movement of one of the PvPers.  A mage PvPer can have his non-PvP friend block the movement and attacks of a melee PvPer while the mage PvPer casts spells against the melee PvPer.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Would have liked to have seen this.  Is there a link anywhere?
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    edited March 2021
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc6cm10hPPQ
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Going back to its roots without the nonconsensual PvP, no powerscrolls, not all skills will be there, sounds like 700 skill points and GM will be the highest, crafting in old UO was great because our gear was on par with loot, sounds like one land mass only, no expansions, WOW the more I hear the more I am liking this.  This sounds like the way UO should have been done in the first place.
    WOW if you stay for season 2 you will be reborn with skills/stats naked, no money/equipment/house/NOTHING.  2 Chars per account right now.
  • AtomicBettyAtomicBetty Posts: 237
    TimSt said:
    Since PvP will be consensual I can see how a non-PvPer can be used to interfere with a battle by getting between the PvP enabled characters.  Really problematic if a non-PvPer can block the movement of one of the PvPers.  A mage PvPer can have his non-PvP friend block the movement and attacks of a melee PvPer while the mage PvPer casts spells against the melee PvPer.

I imagine it will be a tram ruleset with player push through and non blocking field spells.
  • GaretjaxGaretjax Posts: 34
    1.  An immediate loophole with the housing, EJ accounts can join guilds...only bigger guilds can have the bigger houses.....so someone who has a ton of EJ accounts can have bigger house ... then you said that you can trade the house as long as that person pays the "taxes", so that person that owns all of those EJ accounts can sell that house for gold/items/RMT or whatever those annoying spammers will be spamming in chats.
    2.  You can be "reborn", this is a HUGE advantage for anyone.  I thought the idea behind this was that the economy on production is too far gone so lets make something fresh from start...Then do it, wipe everything, every time.  No keeping skills/stats.  Instead make "reborn" allowing that character to reserve that name and titles and no one else.  I can see people saying this isn't an advantage...well in season 2 while you are on day 2 out killing a regular skeleton and etc I could be out killing drakes/dragons that is a huge advantage with gold/items/everything.

@Kyronix @Mesanna
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Ya I did not like the part about selling houses.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    One big question mark for me, is the question about scripting, duping, cheating and unapproved Third Party programs....

I mean, I can already imagine on day 1 of the New Legacy Shard how some players will go with scripting skills, script  gathering of resources, script farming for gold and all that to get an edge over other players who do not use scripts or other cheats/hacks....

Will there be a severe control about any of this on the New Legacy Shard ?

How ? The Client will somehow be tailored to look for players scripting or using Third Party unapproved applications ?

Some players argue that scripting does not affect others yet, I think it does and quite some....

If a player, because of scripting, can get things done since they do not put their actual real time into them, they can then undercut other players who, instead, put their time into getting those same things done... they can apply lower prices for things since it cost them nothing, not even their time to get them.... this does affect, to my opinion, all those players who, instead, in order to get those same things have to put their time into them.

So, I think, it is important that something more detailed and specific on this, about how cheating and scripting and duping and hacking will be addressed in the New Legacy shard is shared with us players interested in the New Legacy Shard...

I mean, we all know how the regular prodo Shards are affected by those spamming on General Chat, and they keep doing it regardless the efforts to stop them.... We have had several Threads on these Forums about all this....

Why would then be possible to stop scripting, duping, cheating and hacking on the New Legacy Shard ?

Will the Client that will be used on the New Legacy Shard have something particular that will make it possible to have it a "cheat-free" Shard, finally, in Ultima Online ?

I would really like to know it...... it would make my expectations on this New Legacy Shard change a whole lot, depending on what the answer to this question will be.
  • KyronixKyronix Posts: 1,110Dev
    @Garetjax - it's pretty easy to exclude EJs from those calculators and requirements, so it's not really an issue.  As far as the skills & stats it won't be nearly as much of a hurdle to gain skills/stats as it is in the live game so ultimately the benefit from carrying between seasons will be buoyed by a lot of what you mention as well as the added bonus of having some skills & stats right off the bat.  A nod to you "continuing your legacy".  Ultimately the reset is focused on the economy & gear acquisition loops, so that's what we are focusing on.
    edited March 2021
    Kyronix said:
    @ Garetjax - it's pretty easy to exclude EJs from those calculators and requirements, so it's not really an issue.  As far as the skills & stats it won't be nearly as much of a hurdle to gain skills/stats as it is in the live game so ultimately the benefit from carrying between seasons will be buoyed by a lot of what you mention as well as the added bonus of having some skills & stats right off the bat.  A nod to you "continuing your legacy".  Ultimately the reset is focused on the economy & gear acquisition loops, so that's what we are focusing on.
    Any chance the quest system could include skills and gold payment such as:

I decide to learn tailoring. I visit a tailor shop and he sends me to a Sheep farm to shear X number of sheep.  I do the task and get some gold.  Then I bring then Wool back to the tailor and turn it into cloth for the tailor.  Upon completion I get some gold and X number of tailor skill points and a BOD like quest to make shirts out of the cloth.  When completed I give them to the tailor and get X tailor skill points.  Then I can advance to higher level tailoring duties to get more skill points.

Something like this seems more interesting than making thousands of shirts that just get thrown out or recycled.

For Smithing and other crafts, same Idea.  Visit the Smith and he gives me 500 Smith ingots. I have to create the items he requests and get skill points and gold as a reward.  Tinker gives Tinker Ingots that can only make tinkered items.

I think it would also be fun to get kill X Mob types and return to get Tactics, parry,Weapon skill, and anatomy skill points added to your character.  Then advance to more difficult Mobs. Very Similar to Sanctuary quests and Percolem quests but we also get skill points as we advance.

Would make fighting a little more interactive.  In both cases you also get points the normal way you intend.

edited March 2021
    Who in their right mind will buy a house on a shard that is wiped every year and with what gold?  Everything in that house will go poof including all your gold and the gold of the person that sold it to you.
    edited March 2021
    There are many games out there that have seasons. With Diablo III a lot more players play seasons than the standard game.  Players like rewards that you can show off. Even if they are just on a screen that only the player may ever look at.

IMO 1 year is way too long.
    edited March 2021
    @popps why would you need to script anything on this new shard, did you really listen to what it is all about and what you are allowed to bring back to the prodo shard, almost everything sounds like it will be shard bound and you get to keep a few mementos to show your accomplishments
    Pawain said:
    Kyronix said:
    @ Garetjax - it's pretty easy to exclude EJs from those calculators and requirements, so it's not really an issue.  As far as the skills & stats it won't be nearly as much of a hurdle to gain skills/stats as it is in the live game so ultimately the benefit from carrying between seasons will be buoyed by a lot of what you mention as well as the added bonus of having some skills & stats right off the bat.  A nod to you "continuing your legacy".  Ultimately the reset is focused on the economy & gear acquisition loops, so that's what we are focusing on.
    Any chance the quest system could include skills and gold payment such as:

I decide to learn tailoring. I visit a tailor shop and he sends me to a Sheep farm to shear X number of sheep.  I do the task and get some gold.  Then I bring then Wool back to the tailor and turn it into cloth for the tailor.  Upon completion I get some gold and X number of tailor skill points and a BOD like quest to make shirts out of the cloth.  When completed I give them to the tailor and get X tailor skill points.  Then I can advance to higher level tailoring duties to get more skill points.

Something like this seems more interesting than making thousands of shirts that just get thrown out or recycled.

For Smithing and other crafts, same Idea.  Visit the Smith and he gives me 500 Smith ingots. I have to create the items he requests and get skill points and gold as a reward.  Tinker gives Tinker Ingots that can only make tinkered items.

I think it would also be fun to get kill X Mob types and return to get Tactics, parry,Weapon skill, and anatomy skill points added to your character.  Then advance to more difficult Mobs. Very Similar to Sanctuary quests and Percolem quests but we also get skill points as we advance.

Would make fighting a little more interactive.  In both cases you also get points the normal way you intend.

Have you been peaking at my design documents?  Hehe.  In essence a lot of what you describe is how we envision skill & character progression to go.  Everything is objective based and we are really focusing on removing arbitrary time sinks (craft 1,000,000 shirts to GM).  We want it to be fun and immersive, and not feel like a chore.  Looking forward to that stream when it comes along! 
    edited March 2021
    OMG  I love it!  Thanks
  • Uriah_HeepUriah_Heep Posts: 915
    This is beginning to sound intriguing.  Got my attention now, especially with the no powerscrolls part, weeding out the unused skills, etc.  It will be easier for everyone to get to the same level this way.

Hopefully, (fingers crossed) In addition to doing away with PS's, you will let me mouse over my bow and see:

A Mighty Bow of Vanquishing.

Instead of A Compostie Bow
    cursed
    Insured (hope to see insurance gone as well)
    wt 5 stone
    Hit Lightning 50% \
    Mana leech 50%
    stamina leech 50%
    undead slayer
    damage increase 35
    physical damage 50
    fire damage 10
    energy damage 10
    poison damage 30
    weapon damage 16-20
    weapon speed 4
    range 10

That's it baby...to me, a great part of original UO is the simple easy properties on weapons and armor, the sensible dex penalties as you increase the AR rating...
    Looted armor can be good again, GM smith's can make the best again, no imbuing, reforging, spreadsheets, special ingredients needed.

Glory Hallelujah and Amen!!!

Basic equipment like that will be fun for a few weeks.  Another reason a year is too long for a season.  We are not new to online games anymore.  It took months to see a Lord when UO began.
    There will be Lords and maxxed skills in a few days when this hits.

Go buy your stuff from an NPC now and see how long that fun lasts.
    This is beginning to sound intriguing.  Got my attention now, especially with the no powerscrolls part, weeding out the unused skills, etc.  It will be easier for everyone to get to the same level this way.

Hopefully, (fingers crossed) In addition to doing away with PS's, you will let me mouse over my bow and see:

cursed
    wt 5 stone
    Hit Lightning 50% \
    Mana leech 50%
    stamina leech 50%
    undead slayer
    damage increase 35
    physical damage 50
    fire damage 10
    energy damage 10
    poison damage 30
    weapon damage 16-20
    weapon speed 4
    range 10

That's it baby...to me, a great part of original UO is the simple easy properties on weapons and armor, the sensible dex penalties as you increase the AR rating...
    Looted armor can be good again, GM smith's can make the best again, no imbuing, reforging, spreadsheets, special ingredients needed.

That’s the idea :)
    Kyronix said:

cursed
    wt 5 stone
    Hit Lightning 50% \
    Mana leech 50%
    stamina leech 50%
    undead slayer
    damage increase 35
    physical damage 50
    fire damage 10
    energy damage 10
    poison damage 30
    weapon damage 16-20
    weapon speed 4
    range 10

That’s the idea :)
    Then I am in!

Ahhh all the naysayers are coming around ;)

Just don't make us wait TOO long for NL, more and more are getting anxious! 

Maybe PvP will be fun again. I LOVE killing people *Evil Grin* but once the unapproved programs started I didn't like it so much lol.

Larisa said:
    Ahhh all the naysayers are coming around ;)

Just don't make us wait TOO long for NL, more and more are getting anxious! 

Maybe PvP will be fun again. I LOVE killing people *Evil Grin* but once the unapproved programs started I didn't like it so much lol.
    Making UO fun again.  TBH, I really start losing interest in games when they make me use a spreadsheet and calculator to play them.  And when 'playing' and 'questing' entail so much time and detail and effort that it's like working a second job.  Old school was fun, simple, and fair

Start a pool on how many minutes the shard will last before it crashes because so many players that say they don't want it will show up.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    If you see any Marge's there, I promise they are not me.
    I hope it works out with all the time and effort that is being put in - it's just not for me. I'll keep the lights on on Chessy.
    Pawain said:
    Basic equipment like that will be fun for a few weeks.  Another reason a year is too long for a season.  We are not new to online games anymore.  It took months to see a Lord when UO began.

And for the most part before Age of Shi-t we all used player made equipment and if you had the coin you could afford exceptional made runic gear but loot gear wasn't the best when it came to runic made stuff.  We played that game for a long time and enjoyed the hell out of it.
    Pawain said:
    Start a pool on how many minutes the shard will last before it crashes because so many players that say they don't want it will show up.
    Now that would be really old skool.  I wonder if the can make it lag at prime time, LOL.
    Bilbo said:
    Pawain said:

And for the most part before Age of Shi-t we all used player made equipment and if you had the coin you could afford exceptional made runic gear but loot gear wasn't the best when it came to runic made stuff.  We played that game for a long time and enjoyed the hell out of it.
    And kids used to play outside in the dirt.  Things change.  Nostalgia is not filling 20 years later. 
    That's what I loved about Origin. For the first year it was awesome....Everyone started with nothing, running around in looted crap gear, shearing sheep and picking wool to make cloth and bandaids. 

NL will be like that....everyone on the same playing field, at least for the first season...then whoever decides to be reborn will have a slight advantage but not an insane one.

Will be nice!