WildFire Ostard - TC1

keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
edited March 2021 in Test Center
I was able to do some testing and comparing of the new Wildfire Ostard and starting out as a 4 slot pet crushes any viability this pet could have; it needs to start out as 3 slot MAX. 

I did some comparing to another statue pet which is pretty widely used (Triton) and there are several similarities between the two (which I will go into) that shows the Wildfire Ostard really could technically start out as a 2 slot (this would actually allow for a pack instinct if you could use 2) if only the strength was lowered.

Triton vs Wildfire Ostard (from new statue used on TC1): 

Stats: 
Wildfire - 606 HP / 102 stam / 140 mana / 541 str / 102 dex / 140 int (Barding Diff 102.6)
Triton - 677 HP / 150 stam / 115 mana / 195 str / 164 dex / 115 int (Barding Diff 102.9)

Winner: Tie (leaning towards Ostard) - Barding difficulty is about the same. One has way more Dex the other way more Str but 300+ Str is a big jump.

Resists: 
Wildfire - 243 total resist points
Triton - 285 total resist points

Winner: Triton

Combat Rating: 
Wildfire - wrestling / tactics (can be 110?) / resist / poisoning / detect / mage / eval (Taming Req: 96)
Triton - wrestling (can be 120+) / tactics / resist (120+) / healing / detect / parry (Taming Req: 96)

Winner: Triton (2 skills come overcapped typically close/beyond what you can give with a powerscroll)

Lore & Knowledge: 
Wildfire - Magery
Triton - Healing

Winner: Tie (Both have 1 that can be usable)

Slots:
Wildfire - 4 / 5 (1500 available training points)
Triton -  2 / 5 (4500 available training points)

Conclusion:

I'd award the Triton the overall winner in this comparison given that the only thing the Wildfire Ostard is clearly head and shoulders better than the Triton is the over double Strength (300+)... but that is totally negated by having 2 slots more upon opening. I was able to train the Triton in the pic up to 695 str (just 5 short of the cap) with the first round of points so at 3 slots the Triton now has much more Str than the Wildfire Ostard AND is still 1 slot less.

@Kyronix
I understand that the 4 slots "automatically" are assigned using the old bane stats so I think we if you can't simply make it a 3 slot as it then start the Wildfire Ostard as a 2 slot pet with 250 Str to start (like the Triton but make up for lack of 120+ skills) or drop the Str to 400ish and make it a 3 slot. Otherwise it will just become a vanity pet for the cool green color. 

**I've added the screenshots from the pet comparisons for anyone who wants to see them.

Comments

• vortexvortex Posts: 200
    keven2002 said:
    I was able to do some testing and comparing of the new Wildfire Ostard and starting out as a 4 slot pet crushes any viability this pet could have; it needs to start out as 3 slot MAX. 

I did some comparing to another statue pet which is pretty widely used (Triton) and there are several similarities between the two (which I will go into) that shows the Wildfire Ostard really could technically start out as a 2 slot (this would actually allow for a pack instinct if you could use 2) if only the strength was lowered.

Triton vs Wildfire Ostard (from new statue used on TC1): 

Stats: 
    Wildfire - 606 HP / 102 stam / 140 mana / 541 str / 102 dex / 140 int (Barding Diff 102.6)
    Triton - 677 HP / 150 stam / 115 mana / 195 str / 164 dex / 115 int (Barding Diff 102.9)

Winner: Tie (leaning towards Ostard) - Barding difficulty is about the same. One has way more Dex the other way more Str but 300+ Str is a big jump.

Resists: 
    Wildfire - 243 total resist points
    Triton - 285 total resist points

Combat Rating: 
    Wildfire - wrestling / tactics (can be 110?) / resist / poisoning / detect / mage / eval (Taming Req: 96)
    Triton - wrestling (can be 120+) / tactics / resist (120+) / healing / detect / parry (Taming Req: 96)

Winner: Triton (2 skills come overcapped typically close/beyond what you can give with a powerscroll)

Lore & Knowledge: 
    Wildfire - Magery
    Triton - Healing

Winner: Tie (Both have 1 that can be usable)

Slots:
    Wildfire - 4 / 5 (1500 available training points)
    Triton -  2 / 5 (4500 available training points)

Conclusion:

I'd award the Triton the overall winner in this comparison given that the only thing the Wildfire Ostard is clearly head and shoulders better than the Triton is the over double Strength (300+)... but that is totally negated by having 2 slots more upon opening. I was able to train the Triton in the pic up to 695 str (just 5 short of the cap) with the first round of points so at 3 slots the Triton now has much more Str than the Wildfire Ostard AND is still 1 slot less.

@ Kyronix
    I understand that the 4 slots "automatically" are assigned using the old bane stats so I think we if you can't simply make it a 3 slot as it then start the Wildfire Ostard as a 2 slot pet with 250 Str to start (like the Triton but make up for lack of 120+ skills) or drop the Str to 400ish and make it a 3 slot. Otherwise it will just become a vanity pet for the cool green color. 

**I've added the screenshots from the pet comparisons for anyone who wants to see them.
    Great write up! I agree 100% 
  • GwenGwen Posts: 210
    edited March 2021
    Looks like it is way worse than Stygian Drake. Which you can tame in any quantity in the Abyss. At least drake can have overcapped STR (up to 820+) and has magery mastery. And dont need GM taming. 
    Ostard ridable? So  Cu (ridable) with magery will be same 4-slot with averagely same stats but will have healing. And you can choose what to do with your pet. Giving ostard anything else apart from Magery will be waste of 1500 points.

keven2002  Thanks for the review. 
    Ostard looks useless. May be good as deco. 
  • OptimusOptimus Posts: 25
    I definitely agree. This pet should be toned down a bit stat-wise, and made to be a 3, or even 2 slot pet to make it viable. Given that the only other pvp-viable pet with poisoning is a non-spawning dragon selling for absurd amounts of gold, this should really be given more possibilities than just being an underwhelming bane.

Otherwise it is just another useless addition, sitting amongst many other useless additions.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    Optimus said:
    I definitely agree. This pet should be toned down a bit stat-wise, and made to be a 3, or even 2 slot pet to make it viable. Given that the only other pvp-viable pet with poisoning is a non-spawning dragon selling for absurd amounts of gold, this should really be given more possibilities than just being an underwhelming bane.

Otherwise it is just another useless addition, sitting amongst many other useless additions.
    If the goal is to end up with a better Pet by reducing the starting pet slots which provide additional training points, the stats reduction should NOT be one such that then "eats up" most if not all of the training points in order to then raise up those stats again through training...

Otherwise, the ending pet, would not be much different as to what it is now....

If the goal is to end up with a "better" Ostard as to what it now is, by reducing the starting pet slots this should be done to make "more" Training points available so that, through more training available because of less starting pet slots, the trained up Ostard would be significantly better as the 4 slotter that we currently have.

Bottom line is, the stats reduction to reduce the number of pet slots should be marginal, so that the additional training points gained would indeed help towards getting a better Ostard as the current one.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    edited March 2021
    A bane has the same starting ranges as the Ostard. A bane is a 3 slot pet.  The Ostard should be a 3 slot pet as it is now.  

Lets compare the Ostard to a Cu and Hiryu.
    Assuming the Ostard has the same ranges as a Bane.

I have the mid point HP and Str for each.

Cu HP 550 Str 600     = 1150
    Hiryu HP 500 Str 650 = 1150
    Ostard  HP 600 Str 525 = 1125

Why is an Ostard starting at 4 slots?  Because it has 1500 points of Magery and eval.

Get rid of the Magery and eval the Ostard would be 3 slots and near the building ability of a Hiryu or a Cu.

Compared to the other 2 pets, an Ostard is still going to need more training points than the other 2 pet types to get 700 Str.

If you reduce the HP until the Ostard goes to 3 slot, I do not know how low they would have to go.
    Because the Ostard has the magery and eval that knock it up.

Best fix:  
    Make the Ostard spawn with the same stat ranges as a Bane, and force it to start at 3 slots.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    i agree it should be 3 slot but hope it doesn't have to lose magery to get there i want to use it instead of a mare with magery mastery for pirating 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    i agree it should be 3 slot but hope it doesn't have to lose magery to get there i want to use it instead of a mare with magery mastery for pirating 
    Well that would just cost 1501 points and you would be exactly where they start now, 4 slot with magery.  :D
  • TabinTabin Posts: 30
    Id say let legacy banes be marginally better than these new ostards.  The banes will still have a huge weakness to reptile slayer so ostards while lower in intensity will survive better.   Similar to how current mares are weaker than legacy mares.
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    so what ostard are week to bird slayer
    edited March 2021
    Most tamers PvM  Most Built Banes are PvM.  LS prob has 80% of the number of Banes as Atlantic.  Maybe 1% of those are PvP.  

Pretty sad yall cant kill Tamers, Come to LS our Pks will show you how.
    edited March 2021
    Fortis said:
    so what ostard are week to bird slayer
    Yes.  If it is a Frenzied Ostard.
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    Pawain said:
    Most tamers PvM  Most Built Banes are PvM.  LS prob has 80% of the number of Banes as Atlantic.  Maybe 1% of those are PvP.  

pawain stop trolling please
  • Tested it on TC. Wildfire Ostards are indeed vulnerable to Bird Slayer. Bird Slayer only deals +100% damage though, and is only available through Talismans and Invasion Spellbooks.
    Bane Dragons are affected by Dragon Slayer/Reptile Slayer, with Dragon Slayer dealing +200% damage and being ubiquitous.
    edited March 2021
    Fortis said:
    Pawain said:

pawain stop trolling please
    Sorry most Pets are PvM. And I will state facts so items or pets are not ruined by Pkers.
  • PlayerSkillFTWPlayerSkillFTW Posts: 510
    edited March 2021
    Here's a PvM benefit to the Wildfire Ostard over the Bane Dragon. Wildfire Ostards are not subject to the Crimson/Platinum Dragon "Dracorage" ability that makes Draconic pets go wild (some other higher Dragons used to have this ability, such as Skeletal Dragons and Serpentine Dragons, but they were instead given a 20% chance to inflict triple damage to pets). Sometimes EMs will use the Crimson/Platinum Dragon AI on Event Bosses, and that can make a Bane Dragon go wild quickly where a Wildfire Ostard will not.
    Bringing a Draconic pet to an EM Event, is a huge risk, especially now that you can sink hundreds of millions of gold into PS for that pet.