let's give sailing titles some meaning

it would be nice if having a title meant something like
Powder monkey = faster loading and firing
sailing master =faster ship speed
quartermaster= more cargo found or increased hold space
this should apply to all titles really although i am not sure if it is even possible...
Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 9,052
    Would be nice if Fish Pies, Grapes of Wrath, and Fruit baskets had meaning.

Titles are for deco.  There are a lot of them.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    IMO Titles with benefits would be a thing for NL.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,151
    Grapes of Wrath actually does have a meaning (and use).

https://www.uoguide.com/Grapes_of_Wrath ;
    edited February 2021
    keven2002 said:

Really. Have you used them? They last like 10 seconds. I tried them in the dungeon spawns when I fought a paragon. Petal of trinsic works better.
  • Pawain said:
    keven2002 said:

Really. Have you used them? They last like 10 seconds. I tried them in the dungeon spawns when I fought a paragon. Petal of trinsic works better.
    Petals of Trinsic increase SDI? thanks for the tip.
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,975Moderator
    no, petals of trinsic only give a strength boost for 5 minutes.
    Fish pies last for 5 minutes
    the various small fishes give a 3 minute boost
    Balms and lotions from stealing last for 30 minutes.
  • Garth_GreyGarth_Grey Posts: 1,453
    @Kyronix
    Titles based on the capturing or killing of Dread Pirates would have been nice from the onset. I can make claims to fame based on my memory, but having the server offer proof that others could see and possibly be inspired by, would be cool.
    You and Several Others like this.

Please make the Grizzled Mare a 5 slot mount, it's incredibly rare and deserves it. Some of us have been waiting a long time for this simple addition.
    Pawain said:
    keven2002 said:

I used them on my melee toon for strength increase.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,937
    edited March 2021
    Mariah said:
    no, petals of trinsic only give a strength boost for 5 minutes.
    Fish pies last for 5 minutes
    the various small fishes give a 3 minute boost
    Balms and lotions from stealing last for 30 minutes.
    I have a question...

Considering that the average timer for the buffs that you have mentioned is several minutes, and it kinda makes sense considering that they are mostly used with high end Boss fights which usually last quite a good while, why on earth do other items, for example Grapes of Wrath (https://www.uoguide.com/Grapes_of_Wrath / https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/cooking/), only last a few seconds with even a downtimer that is quite long ?

It makes them hardly usable...

By the way, which is correct in their description for the Grapes of Wrath ? The UOGuide or the UO Wiki?

The UOGuide indicates a 20 seconds buff for +35% Damage Increase and a +15% Spell Damage Increase while the UOWiki, instead, only mentiones a mere +10% Damage Increase Buff....
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,975Moderator
    edited March 2021
    I am unable to answer your question on the duration of buffs.

It would appear an update has been missed at some point. The in game buff tool tip agrees with UOGuide. I will edit.

edited March 2021
    Pawain said:
    keven2002 said:

Dang, The Grapes of Wrath only do DI for Melee.  So if you already have 100% they are useless.
    I took them off my warrior stuck them on my Mage for that 20 second SDI.  I can cast 2 or 3 spells. lol

I only see one fish pie that is easy to get and does something I like.  Ill make a bunch of Koi Pies for the next dungeon while I wait for it to begin.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,340
    My personal favourites are:
    Balm of strength from stealing - will stack with rose of trinsic petals
    Giant Koi pies - dci 8
    Great Barracuda pies hci 8
    Yellow tail barracuda pies hpr 3
    and Holy Mackeral pies mr3
    also quite fond of Urali trance tonic.

Pawain said:
    Pawain said:
    keven2002 said:

Dang, The Grapes of Wrath only do DI for Melee.  So if you already have 100% they are useless.
    I took them off my warrior stuck them on my Mage for that 20 second SDI.  I can cast 2 or 3 spells. lol

I only see one fish pie that is easy to get and does something I like.  Ill make a bunch of Koi Pies for the next dungeon while I wait for it to begin.
    Is having 8 more Defense Chance increase that big of a deal to make a bunch of Koi pies ?
    Giant Koi pies - dci 8

I cannot see the potential of the Urali Trance tonic potion....

I mean, it slows casting as if one had Protection on which is already by itself quite a big downside.... then, the +10 mana "per second " are only for 10 seconds and, while they add up to 100 mana in all, it basically means 2 or 3 spells which, while nice to have, I cannot see as much of a big deal in PvM and in PvP, as mentioned, the casting slowing just would counter the advantage of the extra mana...

On the +10 Mana for 5 minutes oh well, again, nice to have but not that big thing, IMHO...

The crafting also does not come as cheap, 10 Mandrake roots, 10 Sea Serpents/Dragons scales and the time to gather the River Moss make it, if not expensive, at least somewhat "not economical", let's say....

Personally, I more prefer mana regen which, rather then permitting sudden burst of spells casting because of an exceptiona, one time mana cache, provide a more steady, permanent extended casting ability.
    edited March 2021
    popps said:
    Pawain said:

Is having 8 more Defense Chance increase that big of a deal to make a bunch of Koi pies ?
    I found a vendor selling Koi fish for 35k each. I am just goofing around so I made a bunch of pies and decided to make fruit baskets also since I was buying peas.

We have a string of events coming up. Get ready!!!!

My guess is fire dungeon.  Find or buy Mage and flame slayer talis or books. I already cleared the cheap ones on Atlantic a few times for us on LS.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,340
    popps said:
    Giant Koi pies - dci 8

I cannot see the potential of the Urali Trance tonic potion....

I mean, it slows casting as if one had Protection on which is already by itself quite a big downside.... then, the +10 mana "per second " are only for 10 seconds and, while they add up to 100 mana in all, it basically means 2 or 3 spells which, while nice to have, I cannot see as much of a big deal in PvM and in PvP, as mentioned, the casting slowing just would counter the advantage of the extra mana...

On the +10 Mana for 5 minutes oh well, again, nice to have but not that big thing, IMHO...

The crafting also does not come as cheap, 10 Mandrake roots, 10 Sea Serpents/Dragons scales and the time to gather the River Moss make it, if not expensive, at least somewhat "not economical", let's say....

Personally, I more prefer mana regen which, rather then permitting sudden burst of spells casting because of an exceptiona, one time mana cache, provide a more steady, permanent extended casting ability.
    1. I already have protection cast anyway
    2. I use this on my bard and my treasure hunter, usually after a death, or when clearing a map spawn with multiple ace dispellers such as greater dragons or frost dragons.
    Most of the time I'm playing my bard I am running masteries to support a group. If I die, they need me to be back up and protecting them as fast as possible. This potion allows that. 
    I already have max MR on my suit, this potion just gives me the boost to get back in action quickly. I think the rest of the people my bard is in party with see the benefit of the potion, even if you don't.