Bulk Order Deeds : Wouldn't it make more sense to "cache" up to 4 every 6 hours ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited February 2021 in General Discussions
Currently, NPCs "cache" up to 3 Bulk Order Deeds, one for every 6 hours of real time lapsed.

Now, considering that the day is made out of 24 hours, not 18, wouldn't it make more sense to allow NPCs to cache up to 4 Bulk Order Deeds, still one every 6 hours of real time lapsed, so as to make up for the 24 hours and, thus, permit players to collect their Bulk Order Deeds once a day ?

As of now, if players collect their Bulk Order Deeds once a day, 6 hours are basically wasted as they get 3 BODs every 24 hours and not 4 as they could, per the current 6 hours lapse in between single BODs collectable.

Sure, players can collect at 18 hours and then 1 more at further 6 hours to get all their 4 BODs in the 24 hours time frame but this would force them to have to log twice, at 18 and at 24 hours and not many are capable of logging twice within a 6 hours time frame and, so, they end up losing 1 BOD....

This would change nothing, the time frame would still remain every 6 hours of real time to collect a BOD, BUT, it would make the process more players' friendly and allow them to collect all 4 BODs which they are entitled to, with the current mechanics, within a 24 hours time frame.

@Kyronix , is this something which you can please make possible ?

Thanks.

Comments

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I read the first two para, and I got the point. Yeah I don't see any issue with 4 instead of 3. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    You can also collect new bods all day long with no limit simply by filling in a small bod and handing it in. Many players use the stand-alone smalls for exactly that purpose.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited February 2021
    Mariah said:
    You can also collect new bods all day long with no limit simply by filling in a small bod and handing it in. Many players use the stand-alone smalls for exactly that purpose.
    Absolutely, but that practise would not be hurt by raising the "caching" from 3 to 4 BODs every 24 Hours to accomodate those players who find it more comfortable for them to collect Bulk Order Deeds once every 24 hours rather then every 18 hours....

What I am trying to say, is that I see no point against making it 4 BODs per 24 hours rather then 3 BODs every 18 hours....
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    I agree... let's make it 4 instead of 3 but only if we can change BOD books to only take up 1 lockdown per book like every other "book" or jewelry box operates. I will need the extra space with all the extra BODs I will collect.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Use vendors for bod book storage.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I think 4 instead of 3 makes sense. 

BOD storage in a book should be 1 lockdown. 

Vendor storage method is risky and should be eliminated by the BOD book 1 item lockdown fix. 
  • FortisFortis Posts: 408
    bods already worth nothing dont make them more worthless
    dvvid said:
    I think 4 instead of 3 makes sense. 

BOD storage in a book should be 1 lockdown. 

Vendor storage method is risky and should be eliminated by the BOD book 1 item lockdown fix. 
    How is vendor storage risky for BODs, oh wait a minute it is only risky if you do not know what you are doing.
  • I also support this idea.  This is a convenience feature with no downside that I can see.  Having more BODs in circulation would make it slightly easier to complete larges and fill out the artisan trees - which most shards struggle to do in every city.  If it makes it 33% easier for dedicated crafters to maintain supplies of PoF and runic tools, all the better.  

I forgot to say I agree with this idea also
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    I'm also wondering how is it risky. I've used vendors to store my bods for as long as I can remember and have never had a problem.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Marge said:
    I'm also wondering how is it risky. I've used vendors to store my bods for as long as I can remember and have never had a problem.
    If the vendor runs out of money what happens to the bod book? It goes to the house sign then into the moving crate where it uses up house storage slots.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    This thread was created based on "wouldn't it make more sense"... so if we take the idea that it would make more sense to cache 4 BODs a day instead of 3 then why can't we add the BOD book lockdown to it? If we are going to have more BODs we can collect it only makes sense to allow better storage.

Furthermore, why are people so against making it 1 lockdown and not having to use a vendor? Who actually benefits from it not being 1 lockdown?

If we take your approach @Bilbo (and others) then instead of caching 4 BODs we just keep it at 3 BODs and people just need to complete BODs to get more of them. 
    BOD storage on a vendor is also risky if you take the book out then put it back on the vendor but do something wrong and don’t make it not for sale. I’ve heard of this happening to some people and early on I even bought some half filled BOD books on vendor search... surprised they were on sale for so low. At the time I thought they must have just given up on doing them or something, but most likely I bought their BODs that were not supposed to be for sale. 

You could say well that’s their fault and sure maybe it is but the main issue is that this workaround literally makes no sense. Doesn’t matter how long you have been doing it. It should just be 1 lockdown, like the jewelry box, and that’s that. 

Also, every once and a while, people make mistakes. Imagine losing a ton of BODs you collected over years because you forgot to push the escape key just once when putting them back on the vendor. There really is no defense for the vendor storage method. Making it a simple 1 item lockdown fixes all of this and I can’t see how it would be detrimental to the game in any way. 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    If you don't hit escape, it shows up in vendor search but no one can buy the book. Some of mine may be on vs for 24 gold but you can't buy them. I forget often.

The cost is very little. I put 100k on vendors I use to show off suits  so it makes no difference. 

Would be nice if you could add and remove BODs from vendor.

Also I do not see a glut of power of fortification or Run if hammers on vendors. More BODs are fine.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    If the only thing on the vendor is BOD books, 60k last 3 years. If it does run out of money, you will find out real quick if you play daily. You just have to place another vendor and put books back on new one. (Even if the vendor falling would put you over house storage limits, it will still go to moving crate.)
    You can opt out of your vendor showing up on VS, so even if a book gets set vendor price by accident it wont show up on search. (I just tried it with an empty book and it did not show up.)

I have never been against making a book count as 1 but the developers have said over and over it won't happen. So I'm just dealing with what is before us and the best ways to store them with that.
    TimSt said:
    Marge said:
    If the vendor runs out of money what happens to the bod book? It goes to the house sign then into the moving crate where it uses up house storage slots.
    Question....

And if there is no more storage slots lets in that House, or not enough, what happens then to the BOD books ?
    Ah I see... hmm

Well, I wonder what the reasoning is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    keven2002 said:
    This thread was created based on "wouldn't it make more sense"... so if we take the idea that it would make more sense to cache 4 BODs a day instead of 3 then why can't we add the BOD book lockdown to it? If we are going to have more BODs we can collect it only makes sense to allow better storage.

Furthermore, why are people so against making it 1 lockdown and not having to use a vendor? Who actually benefits from it not being 1 lockdown?

If we take your approach @ Bilbo (and others) then instead of caching 4 BODs we just keep it at 3 BODs and people just need to complete BODs to get more of them. 
    Personally, my approach to Bulk Order Deeds is that I skip the banking of points althougether....

To my opinion, small BODs and also large BODs for that matter, give too little banking points, they are not worth it, to my opinion.

I much prefer to get the Larges, and then the smalls, fill them, and turn them in depending on wht Reward I need.

Of course, this means that I am forced to have to stock up a very, very large number of BODs because Large ones are very hard to come by and, also, different Rewards require different Larges with the right points for them to be collected....

So, yes, I am very sensitive to the amount of space which the storage of Bulk Order Deeds and their Books currently require and I would LOVE them to be finally made to only take 1 item and not 100 as they currently do for storing 500 BODs.....
    popps said:
    Question....

And if there is no more storage slots lets in that House, or not enough, what happens then to the BOD books ?

Marge said:
    If the only thing on the vendor is BOD books, 60k last 3 years. If it does run out of money, you will find out real quick if you play daily. You just have to place another vendor and put books back on new one. (Even if the vendor falling would put you over house storage limits, it will still go to moving crate.)
    You can opt out of your vendor showing up on VS, so even if a book gets set vendor price by accident it wont show up on search. (I just tried it with an empty book and it did not show up.)

I have never been against making a book count as 1 but the developers have said over and over it won't happen. So I'm just dealing with what is before us and the best ways to store them with that.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    popps said:
    Question....

It goes into the moving crate.  It's a way to store unlimited items in your house.
    Fill up vendors and don't give them gold or drop them. Someone should write a novel about this travesty.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    To know whether 4 bods would make more sense you would first have to know the reason and logic behind the current implementation. I don't. 
    Possibly because servers are not available for 24 hours daily, only 23hrs 45 minutes (on average) you would therefore not be able to collect 4 bods in 24 hours even if you did as has been suggested, 3 in 18 hours and one in 6. There is approximately 15 minutes daily that is 'dead time', not counted.
    To know whether 4 bods would make more sense you would first have to know the reason and logic behind the current implementation. I don't. 
    Possibly because servers are not available for 24 hours daily, only 23hrs 45 minutes (on average) you would therefore not be able to collect 4 bods in 24 hours even if you did as has been suggested, 3 in 18 hours and one in 6. There is approximately 15 minutes daily that is 'dead time', not counted.
    Well, how many minutes is then 23 hours and 45 minutes ?

It is 1,425 minutes (infact 24 hours is exactly 1,440 minutes....).

Now, divide these 1,425 minutes by 4 and we get 356.25 minutes per Bulk Order Deed...

So, if the mechanics was changed to give 1 BOD every 356 minutes rather then 6 hours (4 minutes short), it would still make up for 4 BODs in 1,425 minutes thus including the 15 minutes for the server down...

My point being, that, at least to my viewing, there are ways to arrange for 4 BODs to be "chached up" in "about" 24 hours period... even if that will then be 23 hours and 45 minutes or so....

The goal would be to allow to those players who collect BODs once per day, to be able to get their 4 BODs when then log in "moreless" 24 hours later or, if you prefer, 23 hours and 45 minutes....

Rather then having to log "twice" that is, one at 18 hours and then once again another by 6 hours after that, in order to get their 4 BODs rather then only 3....
    So is it a BOD every 6 hrs or is it a BOD every 8 hours, been so long that I have done the hourly BOD runs I cant remember.
    This is from UOGuide " Blacksmiths with skill levels between 0.1 and 50.0 may receive one BOD per hour; between 50.1 and 69.9, every two hours; between 70.0 and 120, every six hours."  So the real question is why the higher you go up in skill do you get less number of BODs?  Shouldn't it be a reward to gain skill and get more not less BODs for your work.  So the max should be 12 BODs per day not 3 or 4. to be picked up every 24 hrs.
    Bilbo said:
    This is from UOGuide " Blacksmiths with skill levels between 0.1 and 50.0 may receive one BOD per hour; between 50.1 and 69.9, every two hours; between 70.0 and 120, every six hours."  So the real question is why the higher you go up in skill do you get less number of BODs?  Shouldn't it be a reward to gain skill and get more not less BODs for your work.  So the max should be 12 BODs per day not 3 or 4. to be picked up every 24 hrs.
    I am not sure if that information is or not outdated.... if it is current, maybe the difference in the number of BODs that one can get (the higher the skill the LESS the number of BODs one can get...) is compensated by the "quality" of the BOD ?

For example, Crafters with a skill between 0.1 and 50.0 may well get 1 BOD per hour or 24 in a day BUT, all those BODs are just the basic ones and it is extremely hard to get a Large BOD ?

I have no clue, it just sounds weird to me that a lower skilled Crafter can get way more BODs as compared to a GM or Legendary crafter....
    It was set up that way to help the training crafter. It gives you bods that when you fill them will help raise your skill.
    Are you just getting your 3 a day or are you also remembering to get a new bod for every filled one you turn in? It should not be "extremely" hard to get a large. I turn in small BODs in batches of at least 100 of the same type and I always get larges back.
    Marge said:
    It was set up that way to help the training crafter. It gives you bods that when you fill them will help raise your skill.
    Are you just getting your 3 a day or are you also remembering to get a new bod for every filled one you turn in? It should not be "extremely" hard to get a large. I turn in small BODs in batches of at least 100 of the same type and I always get larges back.
    Depends, if I have a Large BOD that can get me the Reward I need I would turn them in, otherwise, I just collect the BODs that have been cached, that is, the 3 currently possible every 18 hours....

I have a question then about the lower skill BODs that are collectable...

Are those 24 BODs per day (1 every hour) at skill levels between 0.1 and 50.0 of the lowest quality (base material, hardly any large or exceptional and stuff like that) with the 12 BODs per day (1 every 2 hours) at skills levels between 50.1 and 69.9 of a "medium" quality (low materials, and just few exceptional or lesser Larges) with then those every 6 hours at skills between 70.0 and 120 being the best BODs one can possibly get ?

The reason that I am asking, is that with 120 crafting skill I still get junk BODs, often, and very few Larges....

If at 0.1 to 50.0 skill one can pretty much get similar BODs as at 120.0 skill, and way more also (1 every hour vs. 1 every 6 hours...), why bother with being GM or Legendary crafter to claim BODs then ?
  • ChrilleChrille Posts: 208
    edited February 2021
     Popps you should use your 120 skilled char to turn in the bods so it can get a new one with larger chance to get a large bod.

Just fill and turn in bods with a low skilled char doesn't give you any advantages. But they can help collect easy to fill small bods that your trained char turns in to get new ones.
    Popps, doing it that way will make it hard to get larges or ever fill a large. You need to fill the smaller ones, turn them in, and after EVERY turn in - get a new Bod in order to have a better chance at larges. I personally aim to keep a set of 10 of every type of bod that fits a large. I fill them and set them aside for when I get that large. All the extras, I turn in in hopes of getting either a large or a small that I need to finish off a large.

Again, the bod distribution by skill level means at lower levels you will only get bods that you can make or are very close to making. At .1 tailor skill you will only get cloth and I believe leather caps. The bods will 'improve' as your skill improves. You will also still get those lower level ones. I remember reading that you do not start getting a chance for large bods til you reach 70 skill level.

Do as Chrille said above also. Collect easy to fill ones on low skill toons then fill and turn in with your max skill crafter. You can use any toon - one with skill points left or a maxed out toon if they all maxed. [If you toon is maxed but you are really wanting more BODS - put an easy to raise skill (ie focus or mediation) to drop and give it .1 in the crafting skill.] Pay an NPC Bod giver 1 gold to give that toon .1 in the skill. Collect the 3 bods, give them to your good crafter and have them fill the bods.

In order to get more large bods, it best to be max skill and turn in unneeded small bods in for a chance to get a large. Remember, after every Bod turned in to get another!