There is only 1 Way to FIX Placing of IDOCS and this is it . . . .

2»

Comments

• they are doing a new shard and maybe using new code and all, because they lost control of the 20 year old one, so many people worked for uo and changed the code, to the point that you fix 1 thing and you break 20 others, why do you think they were never able to fix the Bug List, how many years we been asking them to fix the bugs over and over and over, and it is the same answer always, "soon", so now they put the entire focus on the new shard, hoping that everyone play, so they can finally merge the shards into 5 or 6 maybe.    Hows that for conspiracy. 
  • IvenorIvenor Posts: 1,216
    edited February 2021
    Xris said:
    I'm not a programmer, so this is a real question. How much $/time would a full rewrite of the code be? It seems if they started this years ago they'd be in a much better spot.

The answer is simple, IMO: more of whatever resources a 5/6 persons Team, even the best in the world, have. And this beside the fact that is still open to discussion if they are interested in doing it.
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited February 2021
    you cant stop scripting at all. look into PVP on atlantic, look all the videos they post on discord, youtube and all, 90% of all players are running different clients, different programs, it is all there, available to anyone and it is 50% faster than the regular and old CC or EC. so yes, you CANT fix.
    and just wait for the new shard to come, will be the same thing. so you can either cry about or you can adapt or join them.
    So, if scripting is all over the place in PvP, I really do not undertand how anyone might find PvP of any appeal considering that, at least to my viewing, it then likely comes down to whomever is using the best script.... not to mention those players who do not want to use scripts or Third Party utilities to aid them in PvP who would be quite at a disadvantage versus those other players who, instead, might make use of these scripts and Third Party utilities.....
  • it then likely comes down to whomever is using the best script....

go watch the youtube videos, go to the pvp section on UO discord and you shall see, over 90% of the videos will show you, they are using new UO client and other programs that will do 90% automated. they have no trees on the floor, only stumps, no house walls, auto dismount, auto sync target, auto pots, auto teleport, auto everything and they are very proud of. it is all there to anyone to see, any PVP discord or any pvp guild discord, is open discussion and people sharing the scripts all over the place. so there is script everywhere and for everything, you cant just say, OH cancel Idocs, cancel houses, cancel Bods, cancel crafting or cancel PVP. so either you adapt and start leveling the game or stop crying about.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    popps said:
    There is one thing which I do not understand....

I hear tons of suggestions from deleting IDOCs outright, to have Lotteries and what not...

I do not hear 1 single voice saying to simply and just addressing what the ONE ISSUE iswhich causes all this to happen, that is, the ability to script in Ultima Online....

I mean, scripting does not only affects IDOCs but a whole lot os areas in the game, right ?

Therefore, rather then always having to run to patch whatever is being scripted be them IDOCs, Gold farming or Gathering resources or what not, why, I really do not understand WHY, once and for all, the one ROOT of all problems is not finally addressed for good.

That is, ERADICATE the ability for players to script in Ultima Online using Third Party, not approved programs....

Honestly, I do not understand it.
    Yes fix the problem. Do not bandaid the results of the problem.

I bet shutting down pay sites would stop most scripting.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    edited February 2021
    Pawain said:
    popps said:
    There is one thing which I do not understand....

I hear tons of suggestions from deleting IDOCs outright, to have Lotteries and what not...

I do not hear 1 single voice saying to simply and just addressing what the ONE ISSUE iswhich causes all this to happen, that is, the ability to script in Ultima Online....

I mean, scripting does not only affects IDOCs but a whole lot os areas in the game, right ?

Therefore, rather then always having to run to patch whatever is being scripted be them IDOCs, Gold farming or Gathering resources or what not, why, I really do not understand WHY, once and for all, the one ROOT of all problems is not finally addressed for good.

That is, ERADICATE the ability for players to script in Ultima Online using Third Party, not approved programs....

Honestly, I do not understand it.
    Yes fix the problem. Do not bandaid the results of the problem.

I bet shutting down pay sites would stop most scripting.

And UO too, but that's irrelevant... :D
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Xris said:
    I'm not a programmer, so this is a real question. How much $/time would a full rewrite of the code be? It seems if they started this years ago they'd be in a much better spot.
    They did write a new client, 3D, KR and now EC and look how well they all went.
    Bilbo said:
    Xris said:
    They did write a new client, 3D, KR and now EC and look how well they all went.

On this I agree with you! Semel in anno... :D ;)
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    I don't PvP much these days but I think 90% is a pretty far stretch of scripting. I'm not foolish enough to say it doesn't exist but people say "scripting" simply because they don't know how something is done. Like some people might say someone is scripting because they can remove a curse while in a full run.... not knowing there is a macro for exactly that and you can press it on the run (don't need to double click an apple or cast the spell). 

Ask yourself this.... If you don't know how the game works and just accuse people of scripting do you really think they have to defend themselves to you and explain how they did what they did or do you think they are going to know they have an upper hand on you and keep it a secret to keep beating you?
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    keven2002 said:
    I don't PvP much these days but I think 90% is a pretty far stretch of scripting. I'm not foolish enough to say it doesn't exist but people say "scripting" simply because they don't know how something is done. Like some people might say someone is scripting because they can remove a curse while in a full run.... not knowing there is a macro for exactly that and you can press it on the run (don't need to double click an apple or cast the spell). 

Ask yourself this.... If you don't know how the game works and just accuse people of scripting do you really think they have to defend themselves to you and explain how they did what they did or do you think they are going to know they have an upper hand on you and keep it a secret to keep beating you?
    Well, the problem that I see is, that, to my understanding, there are scripts and cheats out there which really do give an edge in PvP...

Besides those more powerfull scripts/cheats, even the smaller ones, when chained together in a fight, can make a whole world of a difference to gain a hell of an adge, even against very skilled PvPers...

Stuff like healing scripts, or hacks which shorten obstacles like walls, trees and so forth, or that help towards tracking a target more likely even when not having the skill and stuff like that might, at first, not look like that big of a deal when taking each increased ability singledly, but, when several of these minor increased abilities, thanking to scripts/cheats are used in a fight, they can basically make it pointless, to my opinion, for a player not using them, to even think to want to PvP against fellow players using these scripts/cheats.

Especially, when the risk to bump into fellow players using these scripts/cheats might be significantly high, as I seem to understand it might be.
  • Personally, I think that it was a big mistake to disallow scripting at all. The ability to script almost anything in UO is actually a very neat feature. When they realized that it couldn't be stopped, they should have embraced it completely and developed with scripting in mind. Imagine the tools that would be available if they would have just went with it instead of pretending that it wasn't happening.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    Personally, I think that it was a big mistake to disallow scripting at all. The ability to script almost anything in UO is actually a very neat feature. When they realized that it couldn't be stopped, they should have embraced it completely and developed with scripting in mind. Imagine the tools that would be available if they would have just went with it instead of pretending that it wasn't happening.
    They did it is called the EC and it would be used more if it weren't so damn fugly
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 503Moderator
    This thread has gone far off topic.
  • Rorschach said:
    This thread has gone far off topic.
    Remind me what the topic was again?
    A Goblin, a Gargoyle, and a Drow walk into a bar . . .

Never be afraid to challenge the status quo