First Avatar now John what can be done??

13»

Comments

• Pretty hard to have a discussion when only one side will communicate.  We have heard from many players, where is "the team"? The longer the silence,  the more it looks like the back room handshake. I mean really, where are they? What are they doing? Gen chat is a fubar more then ever.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    lack of communication frustrating but the more replies and discussion we can have might help drive some change....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    They replied here as posted from a Newsletter.

https://forum.uo.com/discussion/8059/third-party-resellers#latest

They post Bannings for soliciting in Newsletters.

Are they supposed to respond in regard every new spammer?
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    EJ itself just needs to go away.  It is a total failure on all accounts.  Just put the old two week trial back with heavy restrictions.  Everyone knew this was gonna happen when you made free accts that last.  Nothing but RMT spam and tons of accts bot farming illegally.  Id say less then 1% of the current EJ's are playing legally.  Complete failure, just remove it already.
    What they should have done is just removed then 2 wk time limit on trial accounts and kept all the restrictions in place.
  • they are banning the EJ accts form Avatar and the like, but NOT making any progress, So its time to look after the paying customers that are totally fed up with the constant spamming of illegal sites

that talks about not being legal to buy from third party sites that YOU the player will be banned it says nothing about any plans for stopping the spam in chat...what you allow will continue and if even one PAYING customer  gets banned because they see the spam ALLOWED in chat then its a loss...
  • could also add long squelch timers, if they same the exact same thing more then 3 times in a given time amount, then squelch them for 24 hours, if repeated the next day 48 hours, then if happens again disconnect the player
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    I sent @Mesanna an email with a link to this thread yesterday. Hopefully a developer will respond, as requested.
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
  • ive played alot of WoW over the years, , when people did this in WoW they got banned fast, their IP's got banned their websites got shut down by blizzard, they even got takin to court is some cases when the refused to shut their web sites down, Now Broadsword can do the same thing they have the power to do so, they even have EA to back them up if they so choose so, now we cant speak negative of broadsword here well because they own this website and these forums .but i think most people know why they wont go after these gold sellers. just remember not to speak it on these forums.
  • jelinidasjelinidas Posts: 352
    edited February 2021
    1. With the exception of the sale of in-game items for in-game items or services, you may not market, promote or advertise anything, or make any other form of solicitation (including pyramid schemes and chain letters) through the Ultima Online service or Ultima Online web site.
    From their own ToS...
  • BilboBilbo Posts: 2,834
    EA still owns UO not BS so it would have to be EA not BS and the first thing a judge is going to ask is why did it take you 20 years to do this.  Sadly EA has allowed this to happen and it should have been done when EBay kicked all the sellers out the door.  BS/UO needs to find a way to stop the spamming is about the only thing they can do.
  • AaylaAayla Posts: 170
    I'm getting really tired about this. Please do something!
  • KHANKHAN Posts: 510
    Aayla said:
    Ya, there have been several posts in this thread tagging @Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak with no response. Along with a couple of emails. I think a quick answer, letting us know what is being done shouldn't be too much to ask. 
    If you sell UO items for R.L. $$$, you need to quit playing UO , and get a BETTER R.L. JOB!
    KHAN said:
    Aayla said:
    Ya, there have been several posts in this thread tagging @ Mesanna @ Kyronix @ Bleak with no response. Along with a couple of emails. I think a quick answer, letting us know what is being done shouldn't be too much to ask. 
    Honestly i don't expect or even need a response i just need it to stop....
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    edited February 2021
    Can I first say, I find the spamming just as annoying as other players, however I will make a couple of points.

1. Blocking all EJ accounts from accessing chat is pretty much 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'. There are genuine returning and new players in there who may need our help. A delay in allowing such an account to access chat might work, I'm not sure, but there is precedent, and therefore coding, in that there is a timer on [young] accounts and a timer on joining thieves guild. So, say 10 hours logged in before chat can be accessed? 
    @Arnold7 in the interests of researching this idea, how long (roughly) would you say you had logged in before you accessed chat. Input from anyone else who started or returned as EJ and has since subscribed would also be welcome.

2. This 'spamming' is basically an exploit, and you don't normally tell the people who are exploiting what you are planning to do to fix it. That gives them time to find a work-around before you've even got the fix in and that's exactly what the team would be doing if they posted their plans here. Exploiters read forums too.

What we players can do is report the exploit, daily. Wait till you have the current user id in chat for all three of them, then send it in via the 'harassment' option in help. The 'report from chat' option, rather handily, has 3 slots for offender's names and id numbers.  I know this because it's what I did with the user ids on Europa yesterday.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    I wouldn't even be bothered if the one guy wasn't just a massive @$$ and spam like 3 times in chat at all times in the day (who the heck is looking for RMT at 6am??) with a bunch of crap like ------------------------------HI ULTIMA------------------------- CHECK OUT THIS LINK ---------------------- WE HAVE BLAH BLAH BLAH--------------------- GREAT DEALS--------------------YEAAAAA.

Then he does it with another account with simply adding a "z" to his name... oh and he's the 4th one in that chat... 
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    To Petra_Fyde

Only monitored general chat when I started.  Saw very few player messages.  Usually, someone checking to see if someone else was on, or occasionally someone selling something or looking to buy something.  Did not see any chats between beginners and experienced players (maybe once) or anyone else.  See pretty much the same now except for the endless stream of messages from John (using several different variants of the name.)  Have to wonder sometimes if I am on the same general chat as everyone else since I just don't see any conversations among players.

When I am at the bank, I can see players conversing with one another and join in if I want to.  But never see these conversations if I don't see other players. 

Players I met in New Haven and while exploring helped me along.  Otherwise, it was mostly Internet research. I am now in a guild and the other players in the guild help me along.  Also, in June of last year started using the forums if I needed help.  Responses from players have been very helpful.

Have been playing about two and a quarter years now.  Hope this answers your question.

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Arnold7 said:
    To Petra_Fyde

Only monitored general chat when I started.  Saw very few player messages.  Usually, someone checking to see if someone else was on, or occasionally someone selling something or looking to buy something.  Did not see any chats between beginners and experienced players (maybe once) or anyone else.  See pretty much the same now except for the endless stream of messages from John (using several different variants of the name.)  Have to wonder sometimes if I am on the same general chat as everyone else since I just don't see any conversations among players.

When I am at the bank, I can see players conversing with one another and join in if I want to.  But never see these conversations if I don't see other players. 

Players I met in New Haven and while exploring helped me along.  Otherwise, it was mostly Internet research. I am now in a guild and the other players in the guild help me along.  Also, in June of last year started using the forums if I needed help.  Responses from players have been very helpful.

Have been playing about two and a quarter years now.  Hope this answers your question.

What shard? LS chat is often busy. We have EJ players using chat.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • TheoTheo Posts: 169
    Here are potential solutions  :  

1: Sting operation. Have a dev buy from the sites. When someone comes on to deliver the goods - ban that account. Perma. I would bet they aren’t storing all these sale items on an EJ account.  

2: Better chat blocking. Strip out spaces. If the chat message has .com in it - filter it out and kick them out of chat for 24 hours. 

3: Allow players to easily report this type of chat. If any chatter gets 5 reports - auto ban them from chat for 24 hrs.   I don’t know why there is no way to click on a chat in your log and report it.

Those are all pretty reasonable items to mitigate the problem. 
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 453
    I put two on block this morning and haven't seen any spam since.  Having to open the filter menu once a day doesn't seem too bad.
  • Petra_FydePetra_Fyde Posts: 1,321
    Theo said:
    Here are potential solutions  :  

2: Better chat blocking. Strip out spaces. If the chat message has .com in it - filter it out and kick them out of chat for 24 hours. 

This one needs a re-think. It would stop players posting links to uo.com and any other helpful site, uo-cah, uoguide & stratics to name just 3
  • AaylaAayla Posts: 170

This isn't some Siberian web hosted.

GET THIS OUT OF MY GAME!

@Mesanna