Day 1 of my Return! Dun dun dun. A semi-comedic journal.

Hello all of my fellow gamers that enjoy this game! I'm happy to return and play this great lasting game with you all.  I've created a warrior character on Chesapeake.  I spent my first evening just getting settled in, getting my template set up in the skills windows, gathering new player quests, and culling Old Haven.  

I went with the Enhanced Client.  I did try Classic client, but man the small screen is really tough to see these days especially with my large monitor.

I was able to complete the new player quests for Tactics and Healing.  I started healing at 49 points though.  I wasn't able to summon the mini-champ in Old Haven.  I thought I was pumping the spawn pretty well because it started spawning the Spectral casters all over, but no luck.  Maybe tomorrow night?  I hope you all had a fun time reading this and I look forward to posting more.

----

Funniest Thing Seen in Chat: Nothing, no one was talking.  Step it up Chessy.

Biggest Bug Encountered: None, good job.

Today's Question: Is there a setting to change where corpse loot windows open? Right now it's always popping up in the same spot and that spot is where I prefer my buff/debuff bars.

Today’s Recommendation: Allow the keyboard input for statistics when creating a character.

Favorite Moment This Session: I discovered that my settings from previous times I played were saved even though I had to reinstall.

Favorite Player Seen: None. I spent a lot of time in Old Haven and never saw another soul.  There was one person in Haven near the bank, but I did not interact.

What I Watched While Playing: Big Brother Season 5

Today’s Funny Picture:

Comments

• PawainPawain Posts: 8,972
    Welcome Back.
    You can make the game window larger in CC in the Display options.

Chessy is very quiet in chat, I rarely get replies when I go there.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • MargeMarge Posts: 720
    We been loud for 2 hours now lol. Someone usually around, at least after 5pm. Not too often I'm on earlier, maybe morning crew is quieter? I usually  respond when I'm on - unless it gets lost in BOD spam. (When you make 100 dresses to fill 10 BODs with a 10 count it feels the need to tell you 90 times that the first BOD is full and so on ...)
  • JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    Were you in the General channel? Often we're a little too loud.
  • FeigrFeigr Posts: 455
    Jepeth said:
    Were you in the General channel? Often we're a little too loud.
    I started in Gen, but swapped to Help to see if people were there.  To be fair, I didn't say anything either.
    Just about everyone is in Gen Chat, just holler if you ever need help.
    edited February 2021
    Day 2!!! Woohoo.  I spent a lot of time on the game today just for the simple fact that this is a rainy Sunday.  I managed to summon the Impaler twice in Old Haven.  I got his bone helm that I never knew previously was unique.  A whole set would be pretty difficult to get!  My goal for Old Haven is to get my full template to 60 skill points.  I managed to get Resisting Spells to 60+ and all other skills are 50+ except lumberjacking.

I know my template of Alchemy, Anatomy, Healing, Lumberjacking, Resisting Spells, Swordsmanship, and Tactics isn't the best template, but I'm excited for it.  I've kinda wanted an axe wielder.  I'll likely buy some soulstones from the UO Store and mess around with my template a lot when I get 7xGM.  Just to get more optimal and able to grab some champ spawns for gold to buy powerscrolls.  

I missed that Anatomy had a new player quest. I've finished every quest I grabbed except that one. I didn't look too hard, but I no longer saw the accelerated gains buff toward the end of my session.  I had fun today.  There was some movement in chat that wasn't third party sellers.  I found a super awesome spot for my future house so I'm excited for that when I get the gold.

Loot hasn't been too bad, I'm near 70 phys resist and see the easy potential of getting a full 70s suit while fighting ettins next.

I swapped to CC looking at what Pawain said, but the resolution was already set to max.  Even on my laptop it was hard to see so I went back to EC.

----

Funniest Thing Seen in Chat: body by jake: selling hugs and advice and spooning lessons and much more at sweetcheeck.wow

Yea, he spelled cheek wrong. 

Biggest Bug Encountered: There's a "true" chat message when just double clicking the housing placement tool.  It's easily repeated so I didn't capture a screenshot.  I was just checking prices.

Today's Question: Did they change where to get those crystal balls for training? 

Old Unanswered Question: Is there a setting to change where corpse loot windows open? Right now it's always popping up in the same spot and that spot is where I prefer my buff/debuff bars.

Today’s Recommendation: Have it display total gold amount when depositing gold into bank.  The gump you get when right clicking a banker doesn't open when you just type "Bank."

Favorite Moment This Session: Getting that helm from the Impaler.  I was happy to see this actually existed after being told about it on Stratics.  I'm a big fan of the Daemon Bone Armor and farming things like that.

Favorite Player Seen: None. i only saw one person in New Haven tonight and it was brief.

What I Watched While Playing: Big Brother Season 5 and some Masked Singer Season 2.  

Today’s Funny Picture:

edited February 2021
    Stone off the Alchemy since it does nothing for the template.  Put on Chivalry. There is a quest for 50 Chivalry.  If you buy the skill up to 30s first you can still do the quest. Also always give the guy 400 gold and he will give you more points than he says he will.

When ready for Resist, buy a boat and pull  a few spellbinders to the shore and hop on boat and let them blast you.  You can also remove curse to increase Chiv that way until it stops.
    Nah, not interested in min-maxing or power leveling skills.  That's when the game starts getting boring.  I was already getting bored just circling the casters in old haven instead of killing them.  Resist is super easy to level even without a boat.

Chiv isn't a part of my RP.

I like Alchemy.  Plus I'm going to be doing a lot of gardening.
    Feigr said:
    Nah, not interested in min-maxing or power leveling skills.  That's when the game starts getting boring.  I was already getting bored just circling the casters in old haven instead of killing them.  Resist is super easy to level even without a boat.

Chiv isn't a part of my RP.

I like Alchemy.  Plus I'm going to be doing a lot of gardening.

We have garden beds so you do not need potions for plants.
    Thank you for your advice.  I do remember garden beds.  I enjoy my template for now.  It's my only character and I'm sure I will soulstone stuff around eventually.  For now, I'm going with a template that I find fun to play and not a template others may find fun to play.

I enjoy the gardening system in the game and I do have the booster pack for garden beds.  I'd have to buy new ones though because I no longer have my old items.  

I'm into alchemy in UO as well.  Maybe there will be buffs to it one day? I don't see the harm in grinding it with my warrior for now.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    GM alchemy gives a boost to potions doesn't it? 
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    GM alchemy gives a boost to potions doesn't it? 
    Yea it does! :) I'm hoping it will compensate for not having the extra max stat caps on this character.  We'll see.

Day 3!!! I had fun today.  I dipped into my saved gold to get Alchemy up and got everything above 60.  That was my goal to move out of Old Haven and onto Ettins.  At 80 I'll probably go to Haven Mine or the Earth Elementals in Ilshenar.  

The spawn in Old Haven cycled a few times and I got to kill the Impaler 3 times.  One time didn't have a bone armor drop though.  

I found an area of affect Axe and pulled a bunch of NPCs.  That's annoying but still kind of a fun mechanic to be aware of.  

This was a fun session.  I feel like I got a lot accomplished.

----

Funniest Thing Seen in Chat: Lasarus: I wish to secure this
    I dunno... always makes me chuckle to see these.

Today's Question: None today.

Unanswered Questions: Is there a setting to change where corpse loot windows open? Right now it's always popping up in the same spot and that spot is where I prefer my buff/debuff bars. 

Did they change where to get those crystal balls for training? 

Today’s Recommendation: Make a more noticeable alert when you buy too much for your bag and it's dropped at your feet.

Favorite Moment This Session: I got the Impaler's arms.  I also got a 2nd helm. 

Favorite Player Seen: Not much going on.  I did see a few people in Luna, but it was just in passing.

What I Watched While Playing: Last SNL, Big Brother Season 6, some Comic Book Men

Today’s Funny Picture:

"Unanswered Questions: Is there a setting to change where corpse loot windows open? Right now it's always popping up in the same spot and that spot is where I prefer my buff/debuff bars."

I use the CC and under the options menu in the interface section there is a box to check to "offset interface windows rather than perfectly stacking them." Each time you open a container, it moves slightly so eventually it will move off your bar. I'm sure there is a way to do it in EC but I never use it; but I am hoping it's in the same category in both clients.

"Did they change where to get those crystal balls for training? "

Not sure where they were before, but you get them in Ter Mur's Royal City from a quest given by Ortlem the Mystic located right outside the mage shop. The quest asks for 100 dragon's blood and 100 daemon bones. You can collect it before hand.

Day 4 Woo, today was a doozy of a day.  I actually had to work for work today.  Why do they expect things if they're paying me?  In game it was a big day as well.  I got a lot of gains today.  Healing is slowing down a lot.  I may move on to earth eles before healing gets to 70 it's going so much slower than other skills.  

I culled the ettin populations.  I'm surprised they even spawn in my presence anymore.  I got some great loot drops, but I made the mistake of putting an antique on.  This thing went from 255 to 0 in a single session.  That's crazy.  Why even use antique pieces?

My armor is almost complete with full 70s in all but one.  When I replace the neck I'm losing out on a lot of resists.  It's a major magic item in stats.  20% phys resist is gonna be tough to lose.  I'll repair it til I get a replacement.

I attended a player event tonight when I was invited to PaxLair's Town Hall.  They were super kind and it was great seeing the goblins again.  I do like playing with those goblin players and reading what they type.  They are so creative and quick.  I consider myself super intelligent, but I don't think I could type that quick or consistently as they do.

I've debated trying this journal in character rather than out, but I think it's a bit outside of my comfort zone to RP a female on message boards.  In game I can just play Feigr as a strong female warrior.  There's just something different on message boards in my head.

The night before last night I messaged the EM and I got in for the 3 month window of events just under the line.  I think I had like 3 hours left to message him?  I got a message back very quickly.  I look forward to playing with this EM if they respond to emails so quickly and helpfully.

Lots of events on Chesapeake.  It's almost overwhelming.  

I had a great time tonight in game.

----

Funniest Thing Seen in Chat: Leigh Ann: WOOHOO Footwear BODs :D
    Coming from a female char name, this gave me a chuckle.

Today's Question: None today, but thank you for the answers Marge!

Today’s Recommendation: Put a message board in New Haven on the outside wall of the bank for maybe governor filtered player event announcements.  Point new players to it? Spit balling here.

Favorite Moment This Session: Getting the Pax Lair Townhall invite.  It's awesome to be included.

Favorite Player Seen: Madison.  This person crafted me an earth elemental slayer axe.  I couldn't find one on the Vendor Search.  There was an elemental slayer axe, but way outside my price range.  Thanks Madison!

What I Watched While Playing: Big Brother Season 6.  Howie talking about how ma-chest-ic his fellow house guests are.

Today’s Funny Picture:

• dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    That’s really cool someone made you and earth elemental slayer weapon. That’s a great kind of weapon for a new character so they can slay the spawn in the Haven mine and make a lot of gold and get better gear faster. Nice!
    Day 5, today wasn't spectacular.  I did move from Ettins to Earth Elementals and I probably overprepared for them.  I was killing them in one shot.  They were still damaging me so I was able to use bandages for skill gains.  I moved to Ilsh near the Gargoyle city for some paragon action and I managed to kill 3 Earth Elemental Paragons.  One had a chest.  It's sitting in my bank.  I got some cooking materials.  I think those are exclusive to Paragons but I'm not sure.  On my way back to New Haven I got bola'd by a Paragon normal savage.  I kept running thinking to outpace it, but my mount died.  The paragon ran me down and I turned to fight.  I made shorter work of the savage than I thought I could.  I should have just fought it to save my horse.

I also went to fight Efreets, but there was a spawn around my spot.  It just occurred to me as I type this that I could have lured them away. I'll do that tomorrow.  Honestly a paragon Efreet might prove to be a challenge.  A lot of it's debuffs are lasting over a minute despite having 70+ Resist.  I was hoping getting resist high would reduce debuff duration.

Tomorrow I'll stick to New Haven mine and try to grind out the gold for my initial house custom foundation.  Gold is raining from the sky against those Eles.

I did check Old Haven for the Impaler to see if I could get another drop, but someone was working it themselves and fighting him when I got there.  I left them alone.  

I managed to get Alchemy over 70.  Spider Silk needs some more alchemy recipes. LOL I'm building a stockpile.  Throwable paralyze potion?

Funniest Thing Seen in Chat: There was activity in chat, but it wasn't funny.

Biggest Bug Encountered: One of the NPC quest givers had ` in it's speech.  Nothing major.  Wasn't even worth grabbing a screenie of.

Today's Question: When'd they add this or am I nuts? I never noticed this before.  It's the little things.

Today’s Recommendation: Show the amount you're over in resists on the character statistics page.  It sounds simple, but this would be very helpful to me as I try to hunt up pieces of gear.  I could use a spreadsheet, but it'd be so much easier in game and there is already the menu.  I'm really proud of this one so I hope people are reading.  

Favorite Moment This Session: The paragon chest made me happy.  I've always loved that mechanic.

Favorite Player Seen: a shadow wisp was buying stuff in chat and there was some sellers spamming that were obviously selling for currency not in game.  It just seemed like this person didn't care and wanted to participate in the game.

What I Watched While Playing: Big Brother Season 6.  Wow, they did Kaysar dirty in Season 6.  

Today’s Funny Picture:

Feigr said:

Today’s Recommendation: Show the amount you're over in resists on the character statistics page.  It sounds simple, but this would be very helpful to me as I try to hunt up pieces of gear.  I could use a spreadsheet, but it'd be so much easier in game and there is already the menu.  I'm really proud of this one so I hope people are reading.  

Mannequins actually do this now. You can switch your clothes and weapons with them and then view suit stats to see your values. I still rely on an outside spreadsheet for fine tuning suit/jewelry/stats but in a pinch it's pretty good.

Jepeth said:
    Feigr said:

Mannequins actually do this now. You can switch your clothes and weapons with them and then view suit stats to see your values. I still rely on an outside spreadsheet for fine tuning suit/jewelry/stats but in a pinch it's pretty good.

Wow, that's great.  Yea, I'd like something similar on the character page.  I don't have access to a mannequin, yet, and it'd be nice to get that detail in field while I'm sorting through drops.  If that makes sense.  At this point in my character development I'm swapping equipment a lot.
  • DrakelordDrakelord Posts: 1,730
    Welcome back, glad to see you having fun.  Be sure to check out the Chesapeake's EM events that are schedule this month on https://uo.com/events/. ; Always a blast of fun, death robes to all fun.  I would strongly suggest you purchase a undertaker staff at the Origin Store.  500 Sov, you can see the inventory of items there for sale by clicking on the help option.  Always good to carry that if you are in a place of certain death and cannot get to your body, the staff can be used to call your body to you.
    Remove Trap = Bad News
    for
    Treasure Hunters
    Drakelord#5598
    edited February 2021

Day 6, Moar! Earth Eles.  Skill gains are much slower in the 70s when you're one shot'ing things, but the gold income is great.  I managed to kill a lot of paragons and got three more chests.  Eight Ball opened them for me.  Thanks Eight Ball!  I found a super slayer on one of the elementals.  It has Hit Chance and Damage increase as well.  It's elemental and a crossbow.  The only negative is that it's a mage weapon -25.  I'm not sure if that means it's unusable or not.  Do mage weapons only use magery or is archery still used? 

Bereg Strongbow was advertising a free white dye tub and I scooped that up.  I love me some dye tubs and hope to have a full collection.  Thanks Bereg!  

I capped my suit of full 70s and 75 Energy Resist for being an elf.  I also got a Fire Elemental Slayer axe so tried to go kill those near the earth eles I was fighting.  They spawn in huge groups though.  Even though I was able to kill groups of 5 with hit and run, it still felt safer just to stick to Earth Elementals.  I actually got a lot of axe drops today that I held onto.  I also got a dragon slayer music weapon that I'm gonna hang onto in case I try bard.  I figured that'd come in useful eventually.  I'd love to find a daemon slayer or Undead Super Slayer.  Efreets, Daemons and Liches are probably the next goal after earth elementals.  Maybe even Ice Fiends.

The cave from Compassion to the spawn I fight at had a Paragon Gargoyle on it.  I tried to fight it and while I think I can definitely win it would have taken a very long time and multiple close calls so I left it alone.  

---

Funniest Thing Seen in Chat: Nothing really funny in chat today.

Biggest Bug Encountered: I repaired a few items when they were highlighted red or orange.  The highlight stayed until I reopened paperdoll.  Nothing spectacular here.  I just thought I'd mention it since I saw nothing else.

Today's Question: Does Bushido + Parry work with axes or is it just swords?

Today’s Recommendation: This is one I don't have first hand experience with and I'm just going off of what I've gathered through researching which items to keep while out fighting.  Imbuing has common ingredients until you reach the highest of intensities.  Those highest intensity items require less common ingredients.  Can loot have properties of those high intensities that drop highlighted? Or even have intensities use a font color like cold to hot in color temperature that indicates the imbuing intensity.  From what I've gathered, the most desired items are the ones with properties that require those less common ingredients and don't have negative properties/properties that don't synergize.  Some negative properties are actually good (Brittle) and some are worse than others.  

Just to restate simply... highlight properties that have an intensity as high as what would require less common ingredients when imbuing.

I'm not as confident with this recommendation as my others.  I do know it's hard for me to tell which items I should be keeping that are valuable if any.

Favorite Moment This Session: My favorite moment was watching Eight Ball telekenisis my 4 Paragon Chests and getting to dig through them.  Thank you again Eight Ball.  Thank you as well Bereg.

Favorite Player Seen: Eight Ball

What I Watched While Playing: Chick Fight, a movie on Netflix.  I wasn't too interested in it, but added it to queue.  I figured I'd mostly just listen while I played.  Fighting/training montages hype me up.

Today’s Funny Picture:

• Bushido + Parry works with all two handed weapons. 

Day 7, whelp... I'm officially broke... BECAUSE I BOUGHT A HOUSE!!! I got the plot I wanted! My house is the first house leaving Umbra heading west and on the south side of the road.  I'm very happy with this spot.  I've place a mailbox if anyone wants to drop me a message from time to time.  

Last night, after spotting a curious NPC in New Haven, I had a realization that I had been leaving a lot of resources on Earth Elementals.  I looked up this Cleanup Officer NPC, grabbed a brown bag from the provisioner, and went for a run to the Earth Eles.  I filled the bag with all the magic items, except the 50 stone ones, that dropped and tossed them in the trash barrel in Luna.  Almost 400 points on average!  I also began looting gems and that gave me almost 5k in gems whenever I reached weight limit.  This greatly sped up my gold generation.

I was very productive in getting gold today.  It was fun in New Haven Mine.  I decided to stick there instead of going for Paragons because it was easier to get back to town between reaching weight limits.  I encountered another adventuring player while playing TRACIA, an archer.  We didn't speak, but it was fun seeing someone else doing what I was doing.  

Skill gains haven't been as good as I'd like so I think that's my next goal.  Tactics is the surprise slow one at this point, but healing isn't far behind.  I'd love to get that to 80 so I can ressurect people if needed.  That'd be a great goal for the EM/player events.  I can hang out in the back and just help ressurect until I get comfortable.  Wandering Healer, Feigr.

I still haven't died myself, knock on a bunch of wood.  My first death robe will forever be the robes I wear in game.  Until I find a better robe*.

I'll probably play some more tonight, but my sister is wanting me to listen to this "The Bible in a Year" podcast with her and I've got to listen to two episodes today and work on catching up with her.  A few "fans" want me to review another game too so I've got to spend some time on Tinkertown.  It's an early access game and from what I understand it doesn't have a lot of content so it should be a quick project.

---

Funniest Thing Seen in Chat: Nothing really funny in chat today. I've been playing during work so it's odd hours.

Biggest Bug Encountered: This one is silly and small.  But hey, just for sake of being complete... A lot of NPCs have ~ in their speech.  I can't figure out what may cause this.  NPC Mugg outside of the New Haven Mine does it consistently.  I can get a screenshot if needed.

Today's Question: What are your favorite useful Enhanced Client macros?

Today’s Recommendation: This one is simple and I'm very proud of this one as well.  I'd love to see a player vendor for repairs.  It has a menu of which repair you need.  The owner/patron of the vendor can charge it with repair deeds.  Grandmaster and Legendary only.  They can also set the price.  I envision it opening a context menu with a button for each repairs available, the amount of charges, and the cost.  Maybe even an option to repair all, if available.

Favorite Moment This Session: Placing my house! The Moody Moon!

Favorite Player Seen: TRACIA, have fun adventuring!

What I Watched While Playing: The Minority Mindset on Youtube.  With GameStop making big news it reminds me just how important channels and information from channels like them are.  I also watched some more Big Brother 6.  I was wrong yesterday about Chick Fight.  Chick Fight is available on Amazon, not Netflix.

Today’s Funny Picture:

• McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    there are repair benches that do exactly as you describe many players have them set to public so anyone can use !
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    McDougle said:
    there are repair benches that do exactly as you describe many players have them set to public so anyone can use !
    Ah, dang.  I hadn't heard of those! Any good ones on Chesapeake? Digging through repair deeds on vendor search is a chore.
    Feigr said:
    McDougle said:
    Ah, dang.  I hadn't heard of those! Any good ones on Chesapeake? Digging through repair deeds on vendor search is a chore.

Right here in Luna provided by the folks over in Cah.
    Congrats on the house! :D
    Why does the big smile look like a laughing face? It's the eyes - it makes the face look like it's trying not to pee while laughing. Can't you just picture the rest of the body - legs crossed doing the pee pee dance? .... Maybe I just need coffee.
    Thank you Marge and Jepeth.  And thank you Tryok for the two housewarming gifts!
    Hey thanks Tejnik for your invitation to the Library.  I will definitely be visiting and contributing in the future.  I don't have a skill for recalling on runes yet or a runebook, but I look forward to visiting and I see the map on the Chesapeake forums.