resisting spells in PVM

is it really worth it? i still get paralyzed, posioned etc on my sdi thunter i have 70 extra points and been running with resisting but am thinking about changing it to Chiv just for remove curse
Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 

Comments

• JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    edited January 2021
    I also find resist under-powered in pvm. I have it as GM floating between my mule characters and a soul stone just in case I see a specific need for it. I did slot it onto my archer for the past Ice dungeon event as his usual hiding wasn’t being utilized.

Now, what I would absolutely love.. is if it provided a tangible bonus to spell casting interruptions and field spells. GM Resist blocks 90% of interruptions, 120 blocks 100%. GM Resist helps you snare all mobs regardless of the determining formula in paralyze fields 75% of the time, etc etc.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Definitely worth it.  It reduces the chance and duration of paralyze and mana vampire / leach and along with the various necro curses. When doing the forest of the dark champ spawn I was able to go toe-to-toe with the paragon shamans and not worry about getting paralyzed or my mana stolen from me.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    @TimSt i mostly agree but having only room for 70 skill makes Chiv a better thing for me 
  • It is not as powerful as it used to be. It used to help tremendously with magical poison. Over the years its effect on magical poison has been severely reduced. But for all the other reasons (paralyze, mana vampire/leech. curses) it is very useful when fighting paragons & event mobs. I use it on my non-sampire characters (mainly because I cannot fit it in) such as archer or paladin dexxer.
    i did a few hoard maps without it and decided i was better off with it !
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,079
    McDougle said:
    i did a few hoard maps without it and decided i was better off with it !

You don't really need resist for PvM on non-melee chars (or on melee chars not fighting again necro & blood oath) these days with all of the work around tactics (orange petal for poison or stone form / trapped box for paralyze / enchanted apples or cleansing wind for curses etc).

The only spell that will really impact you would be mana leech since you don't get that back but the number of times I've been hit with that over the years I can probably count on one hand. 

I definitely think you are better off using those skill points for another skill that complements your template.
  • Depends on what you're fighting. If doing a champ spawn with casters, Resist is great for keeping you from getting Mana Vamped/Paralyzed at inopportune moments. Against certain Necro casters, it'll also help you from one shotting yourself with a surprise Blood Oath.
    Resist Spells can also fully resist the damage of the Life Leech Aura possessed by Shadow Fiends in Khaldun's Khal Ankur spawn.

But yeah, Resist skill is a far cry from what it used to be back in the Pre-AoS days, where it could reduce direct damage from spells and was practically mandatory in PvM and PvP. Golems and Rotting Corpses were virtually immune to magic back then, due to their incredible Resist skill (150-190 for Golems, 250+ for RCs...)
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited January 2021
    Based on my experience resist is not a necessity but useful for sampires in cases like: 

1) Single powerful bosses who may suddenly cast Blood Oath. Example is Dark Father or Osiredon.

I mean, if you are fast, then you can always Tab out and run. But if you are like me and get carried away with hours of grinding, sometimes just a second late means death. Having resist means the damage is reduced so that it will not be insta-kill, so there is a chance to run away instead of instant death. 

2) Heavy spawns with many spellcasters. Resist may help to reduce the negative effects... 

In either of the above cases, resist just reduce the "effects" and give us a few more seconds to react. Its not "immune", not 100% fool proof... its just "resist", like in real life, resist means reducing the effects...

For example:
    scratch proof - will never get scratched. 
    scratch resistant - will resist scratch but can still be scratched. 
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 78
    OP mentioned this was for his "SDI thunter."  I have 3 t-hunters for variety - one with mysticism, one tamer, and one melee.  None have Resist, never needed them.

T-hunter templates are usually too crowded to consider Resist.
    Dizzy said:
    OP mentioned this was for his "SDI thunter."  I have 3 t-hunters for variety - one with mysticism, one tamer, and one melee.  None have Resist, never needed them.

T-hunter templates are usually too crowded to consider Resist.
    i run 100/cart lockpicking/remove trap 120 mage eval(110 wth con trinket) and med that leaves me 70 points if not resistance where are they better spent?
  • The replies mostly confirm my own experience: Still useful, not what it once was.

Were I to assemble a wish list for Resist Spells, in addition to some of the suggestions others have made, I'd like for it to have something to do with resisting the mana drain effects of Cora and whatever it is that Exodus does. Both of those abilities are used at EM events.
    My T-Hunter has magery so there is no need for resist bc I cast invis to take the focus off me... let your summons/pets do the work while you stay hidden. I'm probably hit with an actual spell 1 out of 10 chests... I'm able to run off 2 screens and heal/invis
    yes i can invis with ease but as a SDI mage i fight head to head with the beast and with hoard and trove maps they all seem to love casting mana drain and paralyze thus the need for resistance and even at its lowered effectiveness three seconds less of being paralyzed or drained of mana seems best bet  
    McDougle said:
    yes i can invis with ease but as a SDI mage i fight head to head with the beast and with hoard and trove maps they all seem to love casting mana drain and paralyze thus the need for resistance and even at its lowered effectiveness three seconds less of being paralyzed or drained of mana seems best bet  
    If you want to take that approach I'd suggest using summons to soak up the spells while you cast. So either EV/Demon/Earth Eles...drag each monster off 1 by 1
    yes that is exactly my tactics but a ancient wyvern dispells so fast !!