Poisoning and Magery

How actually Poisoning skill works in a combination with Magery?

I have 110 Magery and 95 Poisoning and I always apply Deadly Poison to the monsters or Lethal Poison via Poison Field if preceded with Evil Omen spell.

Any reason to bump Poisoning to GM?  Or it would not provide any additional benefits in compare to (120 Magery + 80 Poisoning) since it will always apply Deadly Poison?

Tagged:

Comments

• Poison (Spell) - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

"The formula for determining the level of poison inflicted on a target is Magery + Poisoning / 2 =
    • less than 65.1 = level 1 poison
    • 65.1 to 85 = level 2 poison
    • 85.1 to 99.9 = level 3 poison
    • 100 and higher = level 4 poisoning (i.e., Deadly)

As of Publish 71, poison strength reduces with range instead of dropping to 1 at ranges 3 or greater. Also, players having more than 100.0 skill in both Poisoning and Magery have a 10% chance to inflict lethal poison at distance of less than 3 tiles. A successful Magic Resist causes the spell to have no effect."

Poison Field - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

"The formula for determining the level of poison inflicted on a target is Magery + Poisoning / 2 =

• less than 65.1 = level 1 poison
    • 65.1 to 85 = level 2 poison
    • 85.1 to 99.9 = level 3 poison
    • 100 and higher = level 4 poisoning (i.e., Deadly).

Unlike the Poison (Spell), there is no distance check."

-Arroth
  • GiperboreyGiperborey Posts: 17
    edited December 2020

Thanks for the reply. I've already read this article.

My question was:
    Is there any benefits of having GM Poisoning? Or there no difference between (Magery 120 + Poisoning 80), (Magery 120 + Poisoning 100) and (Magery 100 + Poisoning 100)?

Maybe GM Poisoning buffs damage or longevity?

I don't care about 10% chance of Lethal Poison cause I always apply Lethal Poison when using: Evil Omen + Poison Field since Evil Omen buffs poison to 1 level upper.

• GiperboreyGiperborey Posts: 17
    edited December 2020

Did anyone test it?

Looks like there's no point at all to have 100 in Poisoning when you have 120 Magery.

I've wasted so much time and precious skill points raising Poisoning. Gotta drop it to 80 and still have Lethal when combined with Evil Omen.

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    I would say that if you drop poisoning to 80 you will no longer qualify for this listed benefit:
    Also, players having more than 100.0 skill in both Poisoning and Magery have a 10% chance to inflict lethal poison at distance of less than 3 tiles

• YoshiYoshi Posts: 3,322
    edited January 2021
    “Mariah is incorrect. If you use evil omen, then no there is little advantage of having higher than 80 poisoning combined with 120 magery, as you will inflict lethal poison 100% of the time within 3 tiles with poison spell (not even poison field) when using evil omen first at 80 poisoning skill.  

Since using necromancy you may enjoy a slightly higher chance of actually poisoning your target (as well as dealing damage) with the necromancy poison strike spell with poisoning at 100 over 80, rare but the higher your poisoning, the higher chance.
    You may find a happy medium at 90 poisoning as the poisoning mastery can be advantageous. I couldn’t discern any difference between “tolerance mastery”at 90 over 100 skill. And you may enjoy injected strike as a mage as unlike with weapon specials, believe it or not  the toggle does not switch off when casting spells.
    If + skill is at a premium to you, consider going for 90 poisoning with 110 magery, over 80/120.”-+-
    Posts on this account have been pre filtered from personal comment or opinion in an effort to suppress conservative views in order to protect the reader.