Corpsers - Why So Weak?

This has always made me wonder. Why are corpsers in UO so weak? In Ultima 7, they could straight up own your party pretty easily. Also when aggroed, they could duck underground & pop up right next to you. They also followed you around & could move at least at a walking pace.

Comments

• TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    They got nerfed just like reapers. Reapers used to be magic casters that you wanted to avoid.  Now you can practically stand right next to one without worry.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I don’t remember them ever being any different. Reapers, yes, but corpsers always seemed to be the same. How were they different before in uo?
  • dvvid said:
    I don’t remember them ever being any different. Reapers, yes, but corpsers always seemed to be the same. How were they different before in uo?
    I said, they are weak in UO compared to the original Ultima games. They also were found in caves, not in the wild.
  • TimSt said:
    They got nerfed just like reapers. Reapers used to be magic casters that you wanted to avoid.  Now you can practically stand right next to one without worry.
    I think that maybe a bug. I will not place a house in an area that has a constant spawn of them. My mules & storage characters kept getting owned by reapers and gargoyles.
  • dvviddvvid Posts: 849
    I was asking that question to @TimSt
  • I haven't noticed reapers to have gotten any easier, though over time I've gotten better and more powerful so they are easier to me.

As to corpsers, they just aren't a hard monster. Never have been. No reason the UO world has to exactly match the single-player Ultima world.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    dvvid said:
    I was asking that question to @ TimSt
    If you came within a few tiles of corpsers you were open to physical attack. Now, like Reapers, you can stand practically next to them without worry.  This was many years ago. 

• CinderellaCinderella Posts: 1,662
    TimSt said:
    I think that maybe a bug. I will not place a house in an area that has a constant spawn of them. My mules & storage characters kept getting owned by reapers and gargoyles.
    the reapers changed when Time of Legends came out.
    Spellweavers mastery, Summon Reaper being implemented then.

if its a bug that they stopped casting, nobody official has said it is.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    I hope it is a feature.  My Vendor house has them.  Hurts sales when players die while shopping.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • In Ultima 7, they could straight up own your party pretty easily. Also when aggroed, they could duck underground & pop up right next to you. They also followed you around & could move at least at a walking pace.
    In Ultima 5, Mongbats owned Lord British's party and killed many of his knights.  In UO, he would not be able to live down this shame!
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Rats, headless ones, mongbats, trolls, ogres, corpsers, and reapers are now just typical nuisance enemy’s common to most every role playing computer game I have played when you are just traveling from one point to another..  My mage can easily defeat any one of them in single combat using the worst mage weapons in the game.  I look at the corpsers mostly as part of the scenery.  They are if I remember right a good source of logs and boards for beginning players.  Have not been playing that long that they have ever for me anymore than a part of the scenery.