Does the new "Dynamic ToT Spawn tool" permit Events on a larger area then a Dungeon ?

poppspopps Posts: 3,903
edited December 2020 in General Discussions
@Kyronix , @Bleak

So far, we have been having the new style of Spawns pretty much restricted in a limited area, be it a dungeon or the Ilshenar Savages area.

I was wondering, whether the new tool allows the Developers to set up the spawn on a way larger area, say for example, the entire Trammel or Felucca Map, or for example the entire Ilshenar Map, or for example the entire Malas Map or for example the entire Tokuno Map.....

From a roleplay gameplay point of view, a Spawn taking place on a larger area can be well fitting whereas an invasion spreads out all over the place and players might take pride in defending, for example, particularly the Town and its surroundings of which they are a Citizen of -and, if the spawn is concurrant all over the place, they would need to make a choice whether to fight in the Vesper area or the Minoc area or in whatever any other Town's area.... rather then going to some Dungeon and keep killing stuff without much of a reason.... there could be several NPCs for turn ins spread out among the various Towns, of course, all linked to one another so, turning in the drops to one NPC would be shown also at the other turn in NPCs.

So, inevitably, depending on players' defense activity on the surroundings of a given Towns area rather then that of another Town's Area, some Towns (and their surroundings) would fare better against the evil attackers as compared to other Towns, thus promoting more that sense of Citizenship and affiliation to a Town in a player which, is my understanding, is also the wish with the new Legacy Server....

I think that, if possible to have a grander scale Spawn on an entire Map, it could be more interesting and fun then just going to a small place as a Dungeon, even a larger one, can be.

Even the 20th Anniversary Towns Invasions were 1 Town at a time. I am talking here, of a grander scale whereas the entire Trammel/Felucca Map, for example, would be subject to a Grander Scale spawn Event... not just 1 Town at a time as it was during the Invasions.... and it would not be just the Town only, but also all of the Land outside of the Town Gates....

So, is the question, does this new tool permit the Developers to fire up "Grander scale" Events that would cover up an entire Map ? 

Comments

• MariahMariah Posts: 2,943Moderator
    Where would be the 'safe' area for people who didn't want to participate in the event?
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    Umm no don't need paragons chasing me everywhere I go....
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,080
    I can already see it now....

Devs implement this and the next essay post from poppa troll is "Devs can we stop the large scale spawn, it's too hard to play". 

Is there a reason this guy gets to keep creating trolling threads without any recourse?
    If you check the definition of trolling in the ToS you'll find these posts don't match it. Posting unworkable and ill thought out ideas is not, technically, a troll. Don't answer them?
    edited December 2020
    Can we get an ignore function so I don't need to even see them or scroll through 7 paragraphs of nonsense written by someone who either doesn't play the game or is just clueless?

Funny how majority of his threads he posts something, people reply with answers then he wants to debate them on every topic. and then it gets locked and then literally the same day or next day there is another novel written about something almost exactly the same with a slightly different skill or item and you that doesn't fall under starting a duplicate thread (that was already locked due to his trolling).
  • LarisaLarisa Posts: 1,171
    1. He's not trolling...
    2. to the people that are constantly complaining about his posts? STOP OPENING THEM AND READING THEM! IMO you are the trolls, just posting in his threads to complain, it's ridiculous. 

To the original question....I did like the original ToT event....no paragons, a chance to tame some pretty hiyrus and get minors to turn in for better versions.

That included the entire tokuno area and we didn't have to worry about paragons.

I think maybe doing something like that again would be fun! Just take the paragons out. Bring back the original (Meaning do it in Tokuno) with new drops and rewards. 

I know that you want it in other areas, I remember the Ophidian invasions...would LOVE for something like that again. I don't think it's feasible to have it on an entire map unless you take out the paragons and aggro mobs because of player housing, it would have to be like the original ToT.

I think it would be fun to recall home and have to run from a paragon polar bear (I live on Ice Island) but I don't think everyone shares my sentiment! :)

Maybe something like a town invasion whereas the town center is safe and the outlying areas are not, we've done that before, and then fighting to save the towns.

I don't know just throwing ideas around!

• I for one am pleased the Dev's seem to ignore him

PLEASE add an ignore feature on these forums before I abandon it for good.  I do NOT want to see anything he adds, It pisses me off no end seeing yet another stupid title and boreathon, so please create a feature where I can add him/her/it so I never see a post/thread or reply from him again

They do it in game, add a lovely filter to the forum :)

I am sure there are plenty out there that will add me to it too ;)
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,779
    Imagine paragon lich lords wandering through Luna.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    TimSt said:
    Imagine paragon lich lords wandering through Luna.
    well we can dream anyway .....

Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • MissEMissE Posts: 776
    Well the 'new' dungeon spawning is gonna get boring pretty quick.  In fact it is already pretty much empty on my shard as the rewards kinda suck and smashing ice dungeon mobs over and over and over and over got old after the first 100 points, even with the paragons.

The beauty of 'Treasures of Tokuno' was that it was across a whole facet and required killing whatever 'normal' mobs spawned there.  

This allowed people to spread out, kill whatever level of mob they wanted, from easy to hard. Catering to all players, new and vets.  It included a spawn area (sleeping dragon), all dungeons and overland and over water.  It also allowed people to do something different every day so it didn't get stale as the past two lots of dungeons did pretty quickly, ie Ice dungeon and deceit.  The rewards were also MUCH MUCH better (in the first instance for the time) than anything offered up now.  Other than the epaulettes the rest of the rewards have been pretty so so or just rehued or rehashed items, as for the table legs, seriously?.

I for one would much rather these 'new' treasures of events were held over whole facets as above. 
    'treasures of the lost lands' (tram and fel)
    'treasures of ilshenar' (would include paras)
    'treasures of the abyss' (also includes some fel ruleset stuff)
    etc etc

There would be enough variety that they could run each for 3-4 months at a time and do one per yr.  At least then there would be plenty of time to get whatever you wanted without all being forced to kill the same stuff over and over and over all in one piddly dungeon.

Right now it seems we are now into deja vu dungeons, the mobs may change but it doesn't require any kinda creativity.  It is just easy coding.

And yeah, Popps is not the troll in this thread.

Cheers MissE

For more info about Angelwood Warehouse Events go to the A.W.E Forum
    Personally I'd love to make the game harder; I have no issue with that. It would give me something challenging to do. The problem is going to be when people like poppa troll can't handle it and start posting here to please reverse it.

Remember, be careful what you wish for.... *cough* Upgrade treasure chests *cough*
  • poppspopps Posts: 3,903
    edited December 2020
    Mariah said:
    Where would be the 'safe' area for people who didn't want to participate in the event?
    Well, that would depend on the tool that they created and about how much control it gives them to tell what area can have spawn and what area cannot....

For example, say that Banks are decided to be that "safe area" being a place where players most frequently need to go to, a certain Range around Banks would be kept as safe which it means, that even if someone dragged spawn to a Bank, the spawn would "bounce back" to their original spawning place as soon as it reached the boundary of that wantedsafe area...

I goes down to how much control the Developers have Designed the tool to give to them, I would guess...
    edited December 2020
    Larisa said:
    1. He's not trolling...
    2. to the people that are constantly complaining about his posts? STOP OPENING THEM AND READING THEM! IMO you are the trolls, just posting in his threads to complain, it's ridiculous. 

To the original question....I did like the original ToT event....no paragons, a chance to tame some pretty hiyrus and get minors to turn in for better versions.

That included the entire tokuno area and we didn't have to worry about paragons.

I think maybe doing something like that again would be fun! Just take the paragons out. Bring back the original (Meaning do it in Tokuno) with new drops and rewards. 

I know that you want it in other areas, I remember the Ophidian invasions...would LOVE for something like that again. I don't think it's feasible to have it on an entire map unless you take out the paragons and aggro mobs because of player housing, it would have to be like the original ToT.

I think it would be fun to recall home and have to run from a paragon polar bear (I live on Ice Island) but I don't think everyone shares my sentiment! :)

Maybe something like a town invasion whereas the town center is safe and the outlying areas are not, we've done that before, and then fighting to save the towns.

I don't know just throwing ideas around!
    What I would like about a greater scale Spawn that would involve, for example, the entirety of Trammel/Felucca, is the fact that it could bring roleplaying involvements since players could not obviously be everywhere on the Map at the same time and they would need to make a choice whether to fight the Spawn surroinding this or that town thus, making it more meaningfull to be a Citizen of a given Town whereas, thanking to their Citizens, some Towns would fare better against the spawn plaguing them as compared to other Town and this, because of their Citizens' better or worse involvement....

From what we know about the New Legacy Shard, it looks to me that the Developers want to invest in this "feeling of allegiance" be it to a Family, a Town and so forth.

Grander scale Spawns would permit this, is my line of thinking because players would have to make a choice to be defending a given place and not another if they wanted to make a significant difference in the efforts of that Town against the Spawn plaguing it.

Doing instead a small spawn at a time does not permit this, because everyone goes to that same one spawn and when it ends, move onto the other.

With smaller spawns, is my point, there can be no feeling of allegiance to a given place, in the end, all players end up doing all spawns or, at least, all those that they have time to participate into.... but there is no "choice" so to speak, of what to really fight for.......

If the Developers want to promote into players a feeling of allegiance, I think it is also necessary that they give to players reasons and ways that they can show that allegiance.

Smaller scale spawns I just do not think are the right way to permit that, only grander scale spawns can, with obviously the proper Design and mechanics directed at reaching that wanted goal.....

That is at least how I see it.

P.S. And yes, I also enjoyed much the Ophidian invasion back in the days, it was a lot of fun !!
    I'll just leave this right here.....

We should just make everywhere have Fel rule set.  >:)
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    From what I understand, an example of entire map Treasures event:
    - Past Example: Treasure of Tokuno
    - Difference:
    a) Use existing monster spawn, no additional monsters added.
    b) No Paragons.

If using the new event system to cover an entire facet, it might get too laggy. I vote to keep the way it is or to expand it slightly.

For example, instead of just Ice Dungeon, maybe include additional Ice area at T2A or Deceit island (snow area outside Deceit). It is like setting up on several locations but still far less than an entire facet.

Larger area - maybe.
    Entire facet - forget it. its a different system.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    keven2002 said:
    I'll just leave this right here.....

We should just make everywhere have Fel rule set.  >:)
    Why ? To really end the life of Ultima Online for good ?

When will people realize that the grandest majority of Ultima Online players and paying customers do not want to have anything to do with the Felucca ruleset ?

Most people play UO to have fun and relax playing it, not to get aggravated by other players.

But this thread is NOT about any of that so, please, if you want to post, stay on topic and do not derail the thread.

Thank you.
  • @popps. YOU are asking people to stay on topic!?!  ROFLMAO
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    edited December 2020
    I posted one on topic above, and would like to post another that will be slightly off but before this thread gets closed again.

When we come here to the forum, we may bring an existing problem we would like to discuss and hopefully resolve in due course. That is already considered 1 x Lose.

Then when you go around complaining how others benefit and you propose to mess up other's game.  That is another 1 x Lose.

Above is example of trying to create a "Lose - Lose" situation.

When you have a problem, stick with solving THAT problem.
    NOT to PROPOSE new problems so that others will END UP having problems as well.

(such is the Sampire-Tamer issue and other similar threads). Stick to your own point and please do not mess up other's game.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,971
    Since this is a direct question to the devs. Any reply from us is off topic.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
    Pawain said:
    Since this is a direct question to the devs. Any reply from us is off topic.
    Not necessarily as posters could offer their feedback in support of a Grander scale Event or against it or offer suggestions for variations of it.... like @Larisa and @MissE offered in their posts...

I am sure that the Developers would be interested to hear what players might think of this.

My point of view is, that from what I have seen that the Developers' ideas are for the New Legacy Shard, that is, that they want to create into players a feeling of allegiance to a Family history, to a certain Town Citizenship and all that, perhaps the Design of new content on a grander scale on regular Shard might be going towards that goal since players, at that point, not being able to be anywhere at the same time on a grander scale Map spawn, would need to make choices to what area they might prefer to fight for and, thus, promote that feeling of allegiance and Citizenship....

It is just a thought, of course it can be bettered and expanded, it is what these Forums are for, I imagine.... it would be good though, if a Developer was to step in this Thread and let us know their thinking on this one topic....

@Kyronix , @Bleak , do you think the topic has any merit for you guys to want to let us know your thoughts on any of this ?
    They might, but probably not on Christmas day.
    Mariah said:
    They might, but probably not on Christmas day.
    Of course, today is just for best wishes of Merry Christmas to all !!