Legacy Features That *Need To Go*

There are many things unique to UO that are great. There are some that quite honestly after 20+ yrs are simply annoying or no longer serve the purpose. I think the devs need to review some of these just like they did with the gold / check / banking revamp.

My starting three items:

1) Death shrouds. Seriously, I am so over having to drag these things out of my pack. Especially when we have events where you die about a dozen times. They were unique & a long time running joke about to keep count of how many times you die. But its old now.

2) The 2 min *combat timer*. Who isn't sick of recalling home with your archer, just to have some nearby spawn immediately aggro on you & you auto attack all in less than one second. Then you gotta wait to change characters. Same goes for if the spawn is right beside your recall in spot.

3) Having to enter your password every single time you want to change characters. No other mmo of the dozens that I have played in 25 yrs forces you to do this. Why can we not go back to the character selection screen when logging another character out instead of the the actual login screen?

Comments

• JepethJepeth Posts: 509
    What I would like to see instead of removing death shrouds, some sort of text on them saying what happened. "Jepeth's death shroud from his failed fight against MONSTER/PLAYER NAME." 

I could easily see people with a mannequin collection of shrouds from every champion spawn boss or every well known PK on their shard.

For a larger system I think that needs to go or significantly change, the targeting system is way over-do for another revamp.
  • TimStTimSt Posts: 1,780
    The screen going almost pitch black if you die in a dungeon at night time.
  • PawainPawain Posts: 8,974
    Pets going wild.
    Focus on what you can do, not what you can't.
  • Lord_NabinLord_Nabin Posts: 203
    edited December 2020
    Avatar....Not the quest to become one, That knucklehead advertising in game on every shard. 

Yes at this point "Avatar" is a game feature........
    Lord Nabin
    High Council Sage
    Ancient Conclave of Wisdom

ICQ 248-636-691
    Discord Lord Nabin#5433
    lordnabin@yahoo.com
  • AragornAragorn Posts: 293
    RNG
  • vortexvortex Posts: 200
    7 days to bond a pet...a couple be plenty
    vortex said:
    7 days to bond a pet...a couple be plenty
    it’s a money maker ! 
  • KhyroKhyro Posts: 227
    Not a feature, more of a "Fix", but this:

Whatever they are trying to fix/prevent with the inclusion of that... there has to be a better way to do it. Nothing like wasting the entire duration of a gate unable to get into it because your spirit constantly lacks cohesion.
    https://www.uo-cah.com
    Home of the Pet Intensity Calculator, Pet Planner, Trainable Animal Bestiary, and other Tools, Guides, and Information. 

• SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    There are many things unique to UO that are great. There are some that quite honestly after 20+ yrs are simply annoying or no longer serve the purpose. I think the devs need to review some of these just like they did with the gold / check / banking revamp.

My starting three items:

1) Death shrouds. Seriously, I am so over having to drag these things out of my pack. Especially when we have events where you die about a dozen times. They were unique & a long time running joke about to keep count of how many times you die. But its old now.

2) The 2 min *combat timer*. Who isn't sick of recalling home with your archer, just to have some nearby spawn immediately aggro on you & you auto attack all in less than one second. Then you gotta wait to change characters. Same goes for if the spawn is right beside your recall in spot.

3) Having to enter your password every single time you want to change characters. No other mmo of the dozens that I have played in 25 yrs forces you to do this. Why can we not go back to the character selection screen when logging another character out instead of the the actual login screen?
    Agree 100% with all your suggestions.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
    Khyro said:
    Nothing like wasting the entire duration of a gate unable to get into it because your spirit constantly lacks cohesion.
    Fix this AND the 'Your spellbook needs time to recharge.' 
    Khyro said:
    Not a feature, more of a "Fix", but this:

Whatever they are trying to fix/prevent with the inclusion of that... there has to be a better way to do it. Nothing like wasting the entire duration of a gate unable to get into it because your spirit constantly lacks cohesion.
    Yes this is horrible!  
  • Jepeth said:
    Fix this AND the 'Your spellbook needs time to recharge.'
    This is annoying for sure. They put this delay in because of all the sacred journey / protection / FC2/FCR6 script miners.
    This is annoying for sure. They put this delay in because of all the sacred journey / protection / FC2/FCR6 script miners.
    This happened while I was gone. I wonder if it's as much of an issue now with most resource gathering (regrettably) happening on the seas now.

As another legacy system that I think could be changed dramatically or re-thought, I wish there was either less emphasis placed on certain weapons for special moves or more diversity in which weapons can do what. It seems like the bladed whips are testing the waters for this. Failing that please, please give us paladins a two-handed sword that is as versatile as the double axe! 

While we're wishing, I'd also like a pony.
  • Arnold7Arnold7 Posts: 1,291
    Agree 2 minute combat timer should go especially when you where not in a combat situation to begin with.  Hate it when I recall home to logout and that message comes up.  Also, really dislike that if I try to logon another player when the login scene finally shows up I get the message my other player is still logged on forcing me to log back on the player I had previously logged out and log him off a second time.  Really get tired of having to put up with this when I was not a combat situation when I recalled home.

edited December 2020
    Same here. There are couple of times for which the character had not been engaged in any battle but the char just didn't want to be logged out and stayed in the world. I had to login to the same character and log out again then I could switch characters. 
    Yup was collecting Artisan gifts, my archer attacked something outside of my house.
  • Estel_RandirEstel_Randir Posts: 189
    edited December 2020
    Aragorn said:
    Same here. There are couple of times for which the character had not been engaged in any battle but the char just didn't want to be logged out and stayed in the world. I had to login to the same character and log out again then I could switch characters. 
    Yes, this happens more than I care to count. It does not happen every day, but if you keep switching characters /accounts to claim rewards, etc - you will run into this bug.
  • keven2002keven2002 Posts: 2,081
    Aragorn said:
    Yes, this happens more than I care to count. It does not happen every day, but if you keep switching characters /accounts to claim rewards, etc - you will run into this bug.
    In this sense (switching chars for rewards/gifts) it means you are just too fast at typing your password in and getting back into the server. If you ever use 2 accounts and log one out next to the other you will see that it takes about 5-7 seconds for the toon to disappear; which is about the exact amount of time it takes me to log back in (I've also received this error). All you need to do here is take an extra second to crack your fingers before typing in your password and shouldn't get that error.
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    the issue is that if UO is getting ready to draw in new players they need to fix decade old bugs i have gotten my children and many others to try UO but they see a bug and i tell them yeah that's been there since 2002 they walk away .....
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
  • I'd honestly pass on new content for an entire year and prefer a whole year of crushing bugs instead. There's too many of them in the game that have been around for too long
    I'd honestly pass on new content for an entire year and prefer a whole year of crushing bugs instead. There's too many of them in the game that have been around for too long
    Didn't they do that recently? It did not affect what we wanted. They chose random things.

I don't trust they could do it anyway. They have a QA department.
  • SethSeth Posts: 2,904
    I'd honestly pass on new content for an entire year and prefer a whole year of crushing bugs instead. There's too many of them in the game that have been around for too long
    I second this, they really need to look at the bug forums. They are making a 23 year old game play like beta.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
    ESRB warning: Some Blood. LOTS of Alcohol. Some Violence. LOTS of Bugs
  • DanpalDanpal Posts: 119
    The issue is they add one new thing that brings up bugs they thought they fixed 
  • McDougleMcDougle Posts: 3,742
    Danpal said:
    The issue is they add one new thing that brings up bugs they thought they fixed 
    I can almost accept this answer for older stuff tied to the mysterious spaghetti code that hexes everything but newer some come on .... at what point have they started coding things out side said spag code i would assume the new dynamic system ?? yet provo remains(for lack of a better word) @Pawain broken ;) should not newer things be an easy fix?
    Acknowledgment and accountability go a long way... 
    Some people call things bugs, some call them features.  That's why I don't trust what the devs would choose to fix.

I'd be happy with the things the first 4 posts mentioned and the gate cohesion.

Plus make things stack, and fix melee targeting.  

Those are the only things that bother me while playing.
    Items on NPC vendors that only go to 20.  All should be unlimited like many things are.